• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Let's make a map! (Forum Game idea)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 13
I wouldn't vote for increasing map size. I don't want to be the party pooper but the focus should be on finishing the map first. Last map (The TD) wasn't finished because the contributing members got busy with other projects or busy irl..

This. Fill the map up before making the map bigger!

Reconverging at a hub is certainly interesting for storytelling; though the Lich's Hall currently doesn't do this (though i guess it connects from the shipwreck which should tell the story instead).

How many hubs are we aiming for? From Wreck to Scenario 9, there's 8 scenarios in between, so connecting each hub there should be 8 scenarios, so i think in total we should (realistically) aim for 4 hubs in total which would mean 24 scenarios in total.

I agree that Jack needs an upgrade. The map has been sort of balanced (sort of) around the fact that Jack does nothing at the moment, but adding some cool abilities might be fun. (adding a heal would be a good idea for sure).

Since it's an RPG-style map, i think Jack should be able to learn/acquire skills on his way, e.g. each Scenario could give jack the option of learning an ability, and should have some degree of customization. HOWEVER i think at this point things should be kept simple, so letting him choose to be a warrior/priest/whatever at the start might be a good idea. This will also give a story element at the start (sort of).

I'm also busy in life at the moment (Halloween around the corner, plus IRL work) and any free time i have goes to my own project at the moment, so my activity on this will be low. Though, i will keep my eye on things.

Level 18
Since it's an RPG-style map, i think Jack should be able to learn/acquire skills on his way, e.g. each Scenario could give jack the option of learning an ability, and should have some degree of customization. HOWEVER i think at this point things should be kept simple, so letting him choose to be a warrior/priest/whatever at the start might be a good idea. This will also give a story element at the start (sort of).

The lich should ask him for what he want to be :)

Level 6
Good idea. This way the lich will be part of the story, because he's giving him powers to survive.

Level 6
Oh my god.
Yes.
We get to wrap up the Lich line by having him give Jack a boost.

Having the next area open up with a class challenge is a great idea.

I'm willing to take on making a rogue challenge, but if we do this, we all need to agree on what level upgraded Jack starts at.

If it's level 1, then the opening challenges will be fairly limited. I'd vote for Level 3, so each Challenge can make use of a number of upgraded Jack powers.

My idea for opening up the next area:
Jack: You! I saw you when I first arrived in this place!
Lich: Did you? Don't be so sure. You've already learned today how fickle a thing memories can be.
Jack: Why are you toying with me?
Lich: For fun. I have been here a very, very long time. New diversions are a rare treat.
Jack: I should kill you.
Lich: By all means. There is nothing you could do to me I haven't already tried. Not even death will release me.
Jack: You're trapped?
Lich: Longer than you can imagine. But I think... perhaps you can be the tool to ensure my freedom.
Jack: Why would I help you?
Lich: Because it is the only escape for you, as well.
Jack: I'm only a simple man.
Lich: You have much potential. You can become great. Your mind and body need only a little... push.
Jack: Why should I trust you?
Lich: I do not require your trust. Or your consent. I need only know what potential you wish to fulfill. What will you become?

-at this point a dialogue box offers Jack the choices of what class he wants to become-

Last edited:
Level 6
The classes could be dark ones, like necromancer,necrolyte or somethin' like that...

Ooo. In keeping with the darker theme and darker source of the powers.

That's a good idea, and it fits everything that already exists.

My rogue idea seamlessly can be an Assassin. That's pretty much the evil axis equivalent of rogue.

I'm thinking it should use a modified Wind Walk, but I don't want to integrate a stealth power without running it past the editors.

Necromancer, eh? I have some ideas of abilities that class could have. I'm busy atm with my own project but if I have the time later, I'll see about making a few abilities for the classes.

Just to be sure, what kind of abilities are a no-go? Like I imagine Blink would break some levels, so think along those lines and let me know. I've played the map a bit but haven't had the time to explore everything.

Level 6
I think things off-limits for new powers should be:

Blink or other teleports (map breaking)
Anything that summons a flying creature (map breaking)
Scout or Far Sight or other reveal powers (map breaking)
Possession/Charm (creates many unique problems and could potentially break triggers with a "kill X" condition)

I think the following are ill-advised, but not map-breaking. I think any of them could used, but should be considered carefully:

Summons- we have a map with lots of teleporting around. We can't reasonably be modifying every trigger to find and teleport a group, so summons, if used, should be more limited and cheaper. Consider that Jack won't be traveling long term with anything he conjures up.
Morphing/Shapeshifting- This could cause some trigger issues, so think carefully if you integrate shapeshifting powers, and document them well for the benefit of your fellow editors.

Level 9
I could contribute a class, Unyeilding(a dark warrior) or Stalker( Rogue). WE need tp use some fancy names...like instead of plain rogue.. something like stalker sounds more appleasing...

Level 6
I could contribute a class, Unyeilding(a dark warrior) or Stalker( Rogue). WE need tp use some fancy names...like instead of plain rogue.. something like stalker sounds more appleasing...

I'm going the stealth fighter path with my assassin, so if you want to do a more in-your-face style dark warrior, it would be a perfect compliment.

And I love the name stalker. If you don't mind, I would like to use that instead of just the term assassin.

Let's get through the class change, then the Lich can lead to more of Jack's memories. The whole idea right now, at least as I see it, is the Lich needs Jack to get a power boost to be any more useful.

For my stealthy class, I'm thinking of using a modified Wind Walk, a passive hero version of Slow Poison, Sleep, and I'm not entirely sure about a final yet, but maybe a powerful ranged single target attack, an AoE debuff that blinds and slows (think Drunken Haze), or just a ranged AoE damage attack.

Level 9
I will prefer a "Necrolyte". First is raise dead(modified), a death pact usable on your skeletons, 3rd might be an intellect boost and ultimate might be rain of death(death coil culster rocket)

And yes.. u may use stalker.

Level 6
Might I add that the class should have an effect on the story ? or just the story ending.

For example : Jack chooses to be a priest/warrior -> story ends by him surviving the dangers and reunite with his oh-so-missed wife, to which she reacts "Jack, I knew you wouldn't abandon us"

Or. He chooses to be a necromancer -> story ends by him reuniting with his wife but ends up killing her dramatically due to the corruption that filled his heart and mind. and he raises her as one of the undead.

I'll keep pestering you guys about the story :p because I think it's pretty important to this.

I never liked the idea that Necros had to be evil/corrupted. Diablo's Necromancers are actually guardians of the balance of nature, and have roles more aligned to Druids than evil doers. Imo don't let the class themselves affect the story, but perhaps have a choice of items or special abilities do that. Instead of having Priest > good ending and Necro > bad ending, make it something more like, as a Priest, if you pick item 1, you go down the evil path, or if you pick item 2, you go down a good guy path. This applies to all classes.

Oh, and, if y'all don't mind, I'd like take care of the magic class.

Level 6
I never liked the idea that Necros had to be evil/corrupted. Diablo's Necromancers are actually guardians of the balance of nature, and have roles more aligned to Druids than evil doers. Imo don't let the class themselves affect the story, but perhaps have a choice of items or special abilities do that. Instead of having Priest > good ending and Necro > bad ending, make it something more like, as a Priest, if you pick item 1, you go down the evil path, or if you pick item 2, you go down a good guy path. This applies to all classes.

Oh, and, if y'all don't mind, I'd like take care of the magic class.

A good point.

Completely as an aside:
Personally, I've always thought of "Necromancers" as the healing class of Black Magic.

If we assume that White Magic is that which encourages order and the natural balance, it is understandable that it would be most associated with healing with restoration. But it is also very limited outside of combat healing situations.

As a form of Black Magic, that which tends to disrupt or decay the natural order, Black Magic actually has the potential to heal all the things which White Magic cannot. It can eradicate disease, disability, deformity, and defect. Tied into this we see many other fields of body magic as well, making Necromancers easily among the most qualified and capable healers to be found in any magical setting. We spent thousands of years learning to modify the natural order to suit our needs... what good is our magical pursuit if we simply charge blindly back to that "natural" order of things?

But... back on topic... if nobody else wants to take up the map by late morning, I'd be happy to get things started with the Class Change.

Level 9
Lets put like Warlocks, Darkblades(warriors), Stalkers(Rogue), Pirate, Shadowmages(mage) and Necros bad path.
Good could be Paladin, Priests, Clerics(dmg priest), Squires, Inquistor(rogue) and Sorcerers the good patg.
Neutral could be Mercanery, Wanderer, Beastmaster and Monk..
Could be like that...

Level 13
I think Jack is fine the way he is right now...It would be cumbersome to redo all the triggers in the scenarios just to fit the woman.

P.S. Someone should better start the Class Change with the map. We haven't made any progress all day.

Jack is currently stored in a Variable (which my scenarios use). It should be fairly easy for me to fix everyone's scenarios where they've used the preplaced Jack in WE. That way we can have Jack as a Male/Female and separate unit for each class.

How about this:

Each editor makes 1 Class that Jack can be, just make sure you let people know what you're making and his abilities.

I suggest (for now) that Jack has access to all of his Class's abilities (the game is quite short at the moment and balancing experience to level up will be difficult). In fact, perhaps give him 2 abilities, and he can unlock another ability at the next hub, and another at the hub after that.

Also ideal if we avoid summons (for now) since our triggers that move jack all over the map can be triggered by anything, unless someone wants to go through them all.

Whats the plan then? Polish everything we have now, before going on?

I think one RPG element we're missing at the moment are destructibles (e.g. crates/barrels) that can yield loot. Each scenario should have nooks and crannies that have treasure in for the attentive player. I also think that each scenario should maybe give Jack an item, or something special (e.g. DH/Warden gives him an item depending on who he helps). We could also use a loot drop system for baddies, but that might be excessive.

I'm still busy, but i hope to be back with you soon guys <3. Keep up the activity

Edit: I like the idea where the Lich gives powers for Jack for the Lich himself to become more useful... interesting...

Hmm...I like that. Do the abilities need to be triggered? Or is it okay if we just modify blizzard spells? (I'm horrible with spells.)

Well, for now, we should just make at least 3 classes...and then we'll just keep adding the rest as we progress through the scenarios.

That way, we can finish both the spells and the storyline at the same time. :D

Level 6
I like the idea of giving each editor a chance to create his own class. Every member can bring something new to the table. Maybe even steer off the cliche classes ?

At the same time, arranging upcoming classes to good/bad type would be great specially if we're going to let classes effect the story line/ending because it will give the player the ability of deciding the outcome.

But like Knight said, I think the map needs more daily work. Again, I don't think I'll be able to work on it yet.

But I'd love to see some progress.

Level 13
Let me get this right: the Lich's hall is where Jack will choose his class right? (at the start). I may have time to trigger a class system later if so.

Non-triggered abilities are fine (and probably better - there's no real need for spell complexity at the moment). That said, something like the Stalker could have an ability that gives him a chance to avoid traps/pick locks or something. I guess as long as your abilities match your class, it doesn't matter how simple they are :p

Let's not get bogged down with how many classes we want. Let's aim for 3 for now, and if anyone wants to add more, they can do it later. As an aside, since Jack is going to be alone, make it so that each class is self-sustaining. We don't want a dedicated healer or tank class - this is not an MMO. The 'roguish' class should be able to , let's say, heal himself despite being more inclined towards single-target damage. Diablo again is a nice place to look: the Monk class is not a dedicated healer - she can deal damage as much as the other classes, but also can heal other party members. The Barbarian is not just tanky - he can dish out some significant damage as well. Find a balance, is what I'm saying.

And again, I vote for not having classes as being deterministic of your path. That should be up to other factors. Otherwise, the ending you want will force you to pick a class you may not want to play.

@pick-a-chew Yes...probably. Jack gets to choose his class from the Lich's hall in Scenario 1.

But...we can also make it happen in the next hub where the Lich will be appearing again.

*Jack enters the hub. A wild Lich suddenly appears.*

JACK: Wait...weren't you in that first room when I came here?
LICH: Yes. I've seen your progress in this place...and I'm impressed.
JACK: So? What now?
LICH: I'll help you escape.
JACK: How?
LICH: I'll give you some powers.
JACK: Really? Sweeet...

Or something along those lines. Well, you get my point. It's either we add the Class Change in the first room...or in a new hub linked after the Haunted Library.

So, which is it?

Level 6
I can see how classifying characters as good or bad from the start kinda ruins the game-play (it would've worked if choosing the class was in the middle of the story) so becoming "the bad guy" through your choices during the map by choosing an ability or an item sounds promising. if others have other opinions we can put it to vote.

I havent worked with Dialog in a while, but from what I remember, every button is a variable, and so is the box. So for starters you will need to make those variables. Then you use this to create your dialogue:

• Dialog Test
    • Events
    • Conditions
    • Actions
      • Dialog - Create a dialog button for Dialog labelled Button 1
      • Set DialogButton[1] = (Last created dialog Button)
      • Dialog - Create a dialog button for Dialog labelled Button 2
      • Set DialogButton[2] = (Last created dialog Button)
      • Dialog - Create a dialog button for Dialog labelled Button 3
      • Set DialogButton[3] = (Last created dialog Button)
      • Dialog - Change the title of Dialog to Choose your class
      • Dialog - Show Dialog for Player 1 (Red)
This should show the dialog, but I'm not 100% sure. Then you will need another trigger to decide what happens when the buttons are clicked. Eg:

• Button Clicked
    • Events
      • Dialog - A dialog button is clicked for Dialog
    • Conditions
    • Actions
      • If (All Conditions are True) then do (Then Actions) else do (Else Actions)
        • If - Conditions
          • (Clicked dialog button) Equal to DialogButton[1]
        • Then - Actions
          • -------- Actions Here --------
        • Else - Actions
      • If (All Conditions are True) then do (Then Actions) else do (Else Actions)
        • If - Conditions
          • (Clicked dialog button) Equal to DialogButton[2]
        • Then - Actions
          • -------- Actions Here --------
        • Else - Actions
Lemme know if that works.

PS: I hope it's not for class selection since it limits the amount of information that can be displayed. I used Chose your class merely as an example :p

Level 6
!!!EDITING DONE!!!

Change Log:

The force labyrinth now correctly links to the Library.

Created a room linked to from Scenario 9. In this room, Jack encounters the Lich once again and is offered the class change. I have placed it here because having it in the opening area will seriously undermine the BEAUTIFULLY sculpted challenge of mobs in the first area, and take away from the player legitimately facing threats therein. Let the work of those who came before stay immaculate.

Created the first class change option, the Shadowstalker, an agility hero with the stat growth of a Demon Hunter, focused on precision and stealth. His powers are as follows:
Ambush- This is a modified Wind Walk. It allows Jack to disappear for up to 20 seconds. It reduces his movement speed by 40%/20%/0% and allows his first attack breaking stealth to do an extra 40/75/110 damage. Has a 30 second cooldown.
Knockout- This is sleep with a different name and melee range.
Venom- This is a modified Slow Poison. It causes Jack's attacks to have their movement and attack slowed and take damage over time.
Smoke Bomb- This is a modified Drunken Haze. It causes all enemies in the target area to miss their attacks 50% of the time, and slows their movement and attack by 50%. Also prevents affected targets from using ranged attacks. Lasts 20 seconds.

Added a new utility cheat. Typing "-classchange" will instantly take the player to the new class change room.

The comments I've left in the Scenario 10 trigger folder will easily guide anybody who wants to add their own class.

In response to the issue of having each class be self-sustaining, I have created a new item. The Orb Of Respite will be included in each new class's inventory. It is a non-droppable, reuseable non-combat recovery item. It heals 500 hp and 250 mp over 30 seconds when used and has a 150 second cooldown. This means that by simply including this item, each class is now self-sustaining, but within reason.

New Changes:

Slowed timing of cinematic text in Scenario 9 (library).

Fixed a couple general cinema camera issues.

Added the Shadowstalker Introduction area.

I hope everybody enjoys the new possibilities. Because I fought through a migraine to get this done. But keep in mind, since my brain was only at 80% when I made this, there may be some issues. Test it before you add your own class.

Attachments

• Map Thing ver 17.w3x
    323.7 KB · Views: 27
Last edited:

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 63
That way every editor of every skill level can add things, from terrain to custom units to interactive sections to unique scripted events. And that way, since everybody can have their own little sections, people's visions won't end up overlapping, so anybody could take it and really add what they want.
The problem is quality control. You cannot have half a picture drawn by a 3 year old and the other by a famous painter, it just will not work.

Necro trigger still has Shadowstalker chat string, so currently unselectable. Also why a chat string, of all things? Select the guy, and you get a description, then just walk in the circle to select. Makes things needlessly lengthy.

Also that labyrinth is not intuitive at all. Took me a while to realise that I had to tell Jack to move to certain force walls to disable them.

Also there are no hotkeys on the Shadowstalker abilities.

Level 6
The shadowstalker abilities correspond to the keys Q, W, E, and R. I figured if all heroes were standardized this way, it would make playing the map fairly simple. I've seen discussions in the forums before about how, in multiple hero settings, using those keys as universal helps out. True, though. I should have documented that more clearly.

I did a chat string because I don't know how many classes are being integrated, or how everybody wants to do them. A chat string, at least, saves the trouble of using limited space to come up with more area triggers. It also relates to previous map elements. In this case, the Riddle.

The force labyrinth isn't supposed to be intuitive. I wanted it to make people think and experiment. Jack's TAYL does provide clues to what to do, at least. Still, if others agree it isn't clear enough, I can change it a bit so that the player's task is more clear.

Yeah, hotkeys need to be pointed out despite QWER being standard.

The labyrinth doesn't need to change, it just needs some form of explanation. It's a pretty interesting take on a puzzle, but some people might not get it.

As far as chat strings are concerned, well, the room where you pick your class is already large enough. I doubt people are going to make so many classes the run out of space. That being said, chat string are ok. Just... there's no need to type 'Become a Thing'. You can just type 'Thing'.

Level 6
Yeah, hotkeys need to be pointed out despite QWER being standard.

The labyrinth doesn't need to change, it just needs some form of explanation. It's a pretty interesting take on a puzzle, but some people might not get it.

As far as chat strings are concerned, well, the room where you pick your class is already large enough. I doubt people are going to make so many classes the run out of space. That being said, chat string are ok. Just... there's no need to type 'Become a Thing'. You can just type 'Thing'.

Those are all excellent points. I can adjust the Shadowstalker when I get the chance.

Level 6
Quick edits done.

Change Log:

Gave all the new necromancer content a look over, correcting issues, fixing spelling/grammar. (Fun class, Leo! A summon corpses power is a neat touch to ensure a supply a bodies).

Shadowstalker and Necromancer abilities now correspond to Q, W, E, R, and T if they have another. Directions have been added to the "TO ADD A NEW CLASS" comment to guide people in doing this as well.

I was going to add the Hero Glow to the Shadowstalker, but it looks like Leo already did that for me. Good on ya, mate!

Changed the -classchange cheat to bypass the scene at the start of the class change room.

Adjusted all relevant ability tooltips.

In order to make Raise Dead's spell list actually update as the hero levels, and also to adjust for the Necromancer only have 3 trainable powers, I have changed Raise Dead into a 3 level hero skill that gains a longer spell list at each level. I have been able to maintain the exact same effect, but brining it in line with other hero units and fixing issues it was having. I believe it should function perfectly now. (That was a neat idea, btw, Leo. Now you have me inspired to go out and work on spell list heroes). Others may still want to test this to make sure.

The Force Labyrinth has been clarified by marking the direction-dependant force walls with torches, and bringing up a hint saying that the ones marked with torches are tied to the direction Jack is facing.

Attachments

• Map Thing ver 19.w3x
    466.5 KB · Views: 36
Last edited:
Level 15
Version 19b

Note: I've played the game only a few times to make sure I make the right choices.

Change log:
Game:
- Lost Adventurer now has Rage and Sprint (see details below)

Bug Fix:
- Shadowstalker's Ambush corrected, slowed move speed changed from
50/40/0% to 30/20/10% slow, description updated.
- In the Scenerio Fighter/Riddle, there was an exploit when the riddle start, killing the Goblin will end the quest. The Goblin will now counter attack.

Detail:
- Rage, sends someone into rage, taking 1 damage a second and gaining 50% attack speed for 5 seconds. (10 mana cost, 15 seconds cooldown)
- Sprint, moves faster by 25% for 5 seconds. (10 mana cost, 15 seconds cooldown)

Attachments

• Map Thing ver 19b.w3x
    468.1 KB · Views: 32
Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.