• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

The Idealists Challenge #1 "Light and Darkness"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Moy

Moy

Level 49

TIC_Title.jpg

TIC_Intro.jpg

A fairly simple contest where your hero ideas could be recognized and possibly realized in an actual game or could benefit others that would use your ideas. Anyone can join and anyone could win. All you have to do is to create a hero idea based on the theme. Any mapmaker can use the hero as long as they give credit to the author.

HERO CONCEPTS/IDEAS WILL BE BASED ON THE MAP:
DotA/DotA 2

dota-2-logo.jpg

I don't know if you would agree with this.

THEME: Light and Darkness
"While the theme is Light and Dark, you don't need to follow that theme blindly. 'Dark' is a very vague description and involves several other themes. A few examples would be:
Necromancy, Shadow Magic, Fel magic, Demonology, Twilight magic and so on.
This applies for Light spells as well."

TIC_Rules.jpg

READ THE RULES FIRST YOU LAZY BRAT :p

• No submission may violate any of the site rules.
• All entries must obey the theme.
• One Hero per contestant.
• All entries must be posted on the pastebin. Participants who are done must post the link of their entry via PM to the HOST.
• Posting WIPs or spoilers of your work directly (or revealing other authors) before the public voting has finished is strictly prohibited. Posting one will cause you to be disqualified. If you want to post WIPs of your work for whatever reason, send a link of your pastebin entry to the host and will be posted it anonymously in the contest thread.
• Your submission must be PM'ed to the host before the deadline
• Judges may not participate.
• All entries must have the following details
Required Details
» Hero Name
» Lore/History
» Damage Base
» Attack Range
» Attack Rate
» Projectile
» Defense Base
» Movement Speed
» Attributes
» 4 Unique Spells

TIC_Winner.jpg

• The poll is the first to be executed with all the entries. The entry's author will be anonymous during the poll.
• The top 6 (depending on the no. of participants) with the highest poll votes will be judged by our judges. The author of the eliminated entries will then be revealed.
• The criteria for judging is below:

SYNERGY How does the abilities work together? 15pts
BALANCE Does the hero comply with the balancing of the chosen Warcraft 3 map? 20pts
CREATIVITY Was the hero original and creative? Did the author used appropriate icons or graphics? 10pts
BLIZZARD FEELING Does the concept can be implemented fully on a Warcraft 3 map? 20pts
THEME Did the hero represented the contest theme? 25pts
PRESENTATION How was the concept presented? Are the abilities can be understood well? 10pts
TOTAL 100pts
• The winner shall be known with judges’ total average score.
• After the winner has been proclaimed the other entries’ authors will also be revealed.

TIC_Deadline.jpg

The contest starts on November 7 and will conclude on November 21

Hero Concept/Ideas References:
http://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/pastebin.php?id=xqxrz8
http://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/pastebin.php?id=n0mbxi
http://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/pastebin.php?id=hso57c
http://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/pastebin.php?id=du4e2k
http://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/pastebin.php?id=50r4oq
http://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/2343046-post4.html
http://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/2343143-post13.html
http://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/2343065-post6.html
http://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/2343017-post2.html

Use the hero submission template > http://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/idea-factory-462/hive-arena-hiring-heroes-233657/

Below you can find some ideas but it is better to present an idea like the above
http://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/idea-factory-462/hero-names-lore-abilities-etc-256951/

Last edited:

Moy

Moy

Level 49
ENTRIES
I'm too lazy for bbcodes :D

TIC_Prizes.jpg

First Place - 20 reputation points
Second Place - 15 reputation points
Third Place - 10 reputation points
Participants - 5 reputation points

TIC_Judges.jpg

No. of participants (right now): 8

Hero Template

HTML:
[CENTER][TABLE][tr][TD][CENTER][COLOR="Seagreen"](Insert username/hero name here) : (Insert hero name here)[/COLOR][/CENTER][/TD][/tr][tr][TD]
[COLOR="Palegreen"]Hero Model:[/COLOR] *(Can be an import as long as it does not exceed 200kb)
[COLOR="Palegreen"]Hero Icon:[/COLOR](If you have an imported model but without an icon, I will use either an ingame icon or a screenshot icon)
[COLOR="Palegreen"]Other Models Stuff:[/COLOR] (Would you like to attach sumthing to it? or tint it?)
[COLOR="Palegreen"]Hero Range:[/COLOR] *(Example : 125 (Melee) or 700(Range))
[COLOR="Palegreen"]Hero Projectile:[/COLOR] (If your hero is ranged)
[COLOR="Palegreen"]Hero Lore:[/COLOR] * (Any number of characters as long as it's not a sentence nor a novel.)
[COLOR="Palegreen"]Hero Sound Set:[/COLOR]
[COLOR="Palegreen"]Damage Base:[/COLOR]
[COLOR="Palegreen"]Attack Cooldown:[/COLOR]
[COLOR="Palegreen"]Defense Base:[/COLOR]
[COLOR="Palegreen"]Attributes[/COLOR] (All three must not be below 10 or over 25 and indicate it's main attribute) 
Strength-
Intelligence-
Agility-
[COLOR="Palegreen"]Movement Speed Base:[/COLOR] (250 - 310)
[COLOR="Palegreen"]Spells:[/COLOR] * (4 spells : 3 normal with 4 levels and 1 ulti with 3 levels) (Add Manacost, Cooldown, if applicable)
[CENTER][tabs]
[tab][tabheader][COLOR="SeaGreen"]First Skill[/COLOR][/tabheader]---Insert spell 1 here---[/tab]

[tab][tabheader][COLOR="SeaGreen"]Second Skill[/COLOR][/tabheader]---Insert spell 2 here---[/tab]

[tab][tabheader][COLOR="SeaGreen"]Third Skill[/COLOR][/tabheader]---Insert spell 3 here---[/tab]

[tab][tabheader][COLOR="SeaGreen"]Fourth Skill[/COLOR][/tabheader]---Insert spell 4 here---[/tab]

[/tabs][/CENTER][/TD][/tr][/TABLE][/CENTER]

(Insert username/hero name here) : (Insert hero name here)
Hero Model: *(Can be an import as long as it does not exceed 200kb)
Hero Icon:(If you have an imported model but without an icon, I will use either an ingame icon or a screenshot icon)
Other Models Stuff: (Would you like to attach sumthing to it? or tint it?)
Hero Range: *(Example : 125 (Melee) or 700(Range))
Hero Projectile: (If your hero is ranged)
Hero Lore: * (Any number of characters as long as it's not a sentence nor a novel.)
Hero Sound Set:
Damage Base:
Attack Cooldown:
Defense Base:
Attributes (All three must not be below 10 or over 25 and indicate it's main attribute)
Strength-
Intelligence-
Agility-
Movement Speed Base: (250 - 310)
Spells: * (4 spells : 3 normal with 4 levels and 1 ulti with 3 levels) (Add Manacost, Cooldown, if applicable)

First Skill

Second Skill

Third Skill

Fourth Skill

---Insert spell 1 here---
---Insert spell 2 here---
---Insert spell 3 here---
---Insert spell 4 here---

YOU MUST PM YOUR PASTEBIN LIKE THIS: http://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/pastebin.php?id=o2rlaa

Last edited:

Chaosy

Tutorial Reviewer
Level 40
Personally I'd say it's ok to join unless you really need an extra judge. But even then, I wouldn't say you're forced to judge. You should be free to join.

edit:
My entry starts to get shape. I need a few icons and I am pretty much done. (I have not added mana cost and cooldown yet though)

my lore part is 450 characters is that a lot? o-o

Last edited:
Level 7
Just try. I'll help you out if you need something :3
Yeah but I have some question and problems :

Question : Are custom resource allowed? (Models, Skins, and Icons)

Problems :
1. I can't make lore. But I try...
2. I moved to new apartment. And I don't have WiFi... In other words My phone its lag without WiFi)
3. My dad thinks Hiveworkshop is a game + I cannot play game in Mon-Friday
(Dad : Hiveworkshop? Its a game community right? What is the difference between game :p
Me : OF COURSE ITS DIFFERENT!!! :ogre_rage: )

But I still want to join :grin:

Moy

Moy

Level 49
Question : Are custom resource allowed? (Models, Skins, and Icons)
Yes. You can even use concept arts or any art that can represent your hero.

1. I can't make lore. But I try...
It doesn't need to be a novel. Write and write on your notebook until you got the lore you want.

2. I moved to new apartment. And I don't have WiFi... In other words My phone its lag without WiFi)
Load an internet promo on your mobile carrier/network.

3. My dad thinks Hiveworkshop is a game + I cannot play game in Mon-Friday
Tomorrow is weekend. You still have time though.

But I still want to join
gring.gif
Then Join :D

Level 10
joining, I'm quite done already, gonna send a WIP once I found out the right way to send the BBCode ^^

Chaosy

Tutorial Reviewer
Level 40
Just gonna throw some quick feedback on the entries that exist.

Ausfang, Lightguard - Hard to judge in the unfinished state. But personally I really think the lore part could be better.

Dr. Aether, Electromagnetic Radiation Controlling Machine - This one stands out quite a bit. I don't think it suits the contest theme since.. yes it's all bright looking spells, but it's scientific light which doesn't really suit in the wc3 theme. Note that the heroes should be bases on the DotA map, I don't think there is a single hero that got that kind of concept. (I might be wrong)

But for the sake of concept, it's 10/10 in uniqueness.

Thera, the Undefined - really like this one, however I would love to know how she got possessed by a demon. With other words extend the lore part.

Note that you should not reply directly to this post since that will give away who the author for the entry is.

Level 23
Man good thing I didn't select the Light + Dark Themed thing. Way too many people doing that. :/

My comments on the entries:
Thera: I already like this one because of her name. I like its ulti. Pretty unique. ^^

Ausfang: Isn't the Sun ray weakness a Vampire thing? And werewolve's weakness are silver things? Despite that, it's a prety nice hero. GJ.

Dr. Aether: Since it's a DOTA themed or fitted contest, the Innate skills are kinda ruining it. Try and change that thing.

Emotion: Since it's light themed (including the spells), I am not so sure why this entry is focused on emotions. The only thing that matches the theme is the spell's icons.

Jollinar: I like how its powers depends on the time of the day. Just like Night Stalker where he gains power at night.​

That's all I can say about the entries today since they're still in a WIP state. I'll continue working on mine. ^^

Level 7
Gah, my hero was restarted because my parents closed my pasyebin when I was saving!!!
So, Every thing i did was lost!
Now I must rewrite again!!! :ogre_rage:

Level 10
ok, let's start:

Thero: well the Undefined seems to become more defined (ba-dum-tsss, please forgive me, I had to...) I like the model change. Skills are also nice, but I'm somehow missing when, which aura is activated (or is it ment to be toggleable, if so, maybe change that so it's clear). Another point is, though I like how the spell itself works the idea of a "voodoo doll" just does not fit the rest of the hero IMO, so here a simple effect/name change might be the way to go. And some insight: since the last big dota updates Aghanim's upgrades tend to add special effects, not just change values of the spell, e.g Lions ult gets AoE, earthsplitter disarms and so on. So a second interaction might be interesting.

Lafos: ok, first innate spells are not common in dota (though there are some e.g. earth spirit), and here there are even two of them (well they can actually be merged into one or even into the 4 active spells with some tinkering, so this is actually some critics on format). What I mind most on the hero are his two passive spells yes, there are heroes in dota with 2 or even 3 passive spells ... WK, but IMO they tend to be pretty boring, this doesn't mean bad, please don't get me wrong on that. I think on the base of a blood knight there would be a lot of potential for intense, ability packed gameplay. At the moment I see a right-click mashine with a jump on lvl 6. but as I said, still a legit and fitting hero.

I will comment on the other heroes once I've read something more into them.

Status
Not open for further replies.