• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

[Arena] Hunger Games based Map

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 6
CDnIdPq.png

Good day fellow hiveworkshop-members!

I. Introduction

My name is Hades), also known as M1PY and I'm here to present you an idea I came across lately.
To add to my person, I'm 19 years old and a law student from Germany.

I know the movie has been out for a while now but the story is yet to be continued. However, I got inspired by the general idea of it and after having just finished an other project I was cooperating with, I thought it might actually be great to realize this idea and create such a map, because I somehow felt some uniqueness in it.

Being inspired by the movie does however not mean that I do want to copy the film's elements 1 by 1, instead just taking it as a guideline on how to work on the map hopefully in near future.
Credits to HamsterGubben for allowing me to use his original thoughts on this one and to members of Clan VFR for actively contributing thoughts and feedback to his original idea.

II. Theme

1. Objectives
    The fundamental idea will be a FFA mixed with survival elements. The ultimate goal for the survivors is to be the last one standing. This can be archieved in a couple of ways, all depending on which class you are going to chose to play. The goal for the sponsors is to help their favorites become the last one standing in order to win.

2. Map Details

• Map Size
      128x128 - 256x256 or even bigger, playable area should be depending on the player count. For example if only 3/4/5/6 players play, the area will be restricted to a smaller region.
    • Player Count
      4 - 12 players
    • Partys
      The Survivors in the Arena 2 - 8
      The Sponsors 2 - 4
    • Possibility of 3rd Person Camera View (need Feedback on this)
    • Full use of JNGP (soon JNGP 2.0)

3. Gameplay
    The first way would be to actively hunt and kill other players.
    The second way could be to passively try to survive by mainly attacking NPCs and using the environment to survive longer than everyone else.

Surviving will however not include advanced buildings or building something base-like. The player should always be able to be mobile at any time, even if he choses to be more of a passive participant. This means he should be able to break his tent / fire as fast as possible in order to relocate.

The Sponsors are characters who chose 1 or 2 survivors they favor and try to help them to become the last one standing, if their favorite wins, they win aswell. However, yet I am not sure if these should really be playable, because it might become boring if there are not enough tasks to fullfill whilst watching the survivors strangling for their lives.

4. Mechanics
    All survivors are going to start in the map's center. There will be a pile of useful things the survivors may take with them, but of course not uncontested. Early deadly battles can already arise here, for example 2 people fighting for a bow and arrows in order to become a better hunter or to eliminate other players as fast as possible.

This pile can be extended by the sponsors.
    The sponsors can also use some environmental/weather effects in order to turn the tide for their favorite. For example increase the temperature and lower the humidity in order to favor players who have their camp near a river.

Survivors might also work together, but real alliances are not te be seen.

5. Why this map would be fun:
    No game will be as the previous, players might develop certain tactics and strategies over the course of a plenty of games and will always try to optimize their way of surviving / killing. The active participation of sponsors would add an immense uncertainty to how things will take course and given enough content and free map area as playground, players will write their own storys game by game.

6. Features

• Extended Inventory, maybe via backpack
    • Advanced Needs System
    • Heavy PvP focus if chosen
    • Pure Survival possible
    • Weather & Daytime affects gameplay actively
    • Different classes to suit many playstyles
    • Supplies from Sponsors
    • Camping, with tent and fire
    • Thrilling Death notification for all players

III. Interested?

If you are interessed to contribute in any form, feel free to leave your opinions / feedback and whatanot right here. I'm happy about any response.

I'm looking foreward to start with the project's terrain as soon as possible and although I could cover many of the things listed below myself, I want to mainly focus on terraining and fundamental things, because this project might actually become very huge. Thus, I'm looking for:

• Jass Coders
  • Modellers & Animators
  • Art Designers
  • Cinematics experts
  • People with more creative ideas
  • People with time to spare on a project like this

Best Regards,
Hades17

Last edited:
Level 23
Nice idea you have here. This Hunger Games map of your seems to be different from the other ones. It looks like you have the players as the survivors and I guess there are players as the sponsors too? Anyways I have a few suggestions regarding this idea.

• I like how you are making the map size according to the number of players. But even if there are 12 players, a 256x256 map might be too big. This will make the game boring because players will be walking alone most of the time and there would be a very small chance that they will be encountering each other.
  • If you insist on that size, you can create traps / events that will force the players to go on a side of the map. Just like what they did in the books. You can create firestorms and things like that.
  • Try and create an environment that looks very similar to the movie and make it a very interactive environment. For example, On trees, You can break off some of its branches for materials in making the tent or climb it so that you can have a better view.
  • Try to play these maps so that you can add things that are unique to your map.
    1. http://www.epicwar.com/maps/187464/
    2. http://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/map-development-202/hunger-games-official-map-157939/
Well, all I want to see is a Hunger Games map that is not boring and is very challenging. I hope you can pull off a project you that will be exciting for every ones. :)

Level 6
Thanks a lot for your suggestions, ideas and feedback!
I've started with the terrain today and regarding your size tip, I'm currently using 128x128 and as it seems I'm going to need it to be a bit bigger, maybe 150x150ish.
The reason is quite simple, since there should be different clima/weather zones, they need to be changing fluently, and this requires some space nevertheless.

That said, the northern area will contain mostly snow / mountains but medium-high amounts of food and especially quality furs from animals (e.g. ice bears). In the cold, the survivors will be in the need of a camp fire.

The mediterrainian area, will be the most "safe" to survive in, because of normal temperatures and humidity values, but the quality of environmental things will be at most average.

The southern area will be hot and dry and possibly the hardest to survive, this is where the stronger animals will be, but these will deliver a lot of experience / food and go on a hunt during the night time. In this area, survivors will need constant supply of water or they are going to deplete very quickly.

These were just some basics about the needs.
I'm going to post some update on the advanced needs system soon.

Level 9
The idea is good. Though I like to suggest some features:

1. About Fire -
The closer you are to an enemy with a fire burning, it will be pinged in the mini map. This adds realism to the game.​
The fire can be lit by firing a flaming arrow/match/flint etc.​
You can control the quality of the fire ( e.g. the more the wood, the more the smoke, right? ) A low quality fire can barely heat you up but also very hard to be detected by the players. Players will now think twice about their little camp fire.​
-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-
2. The Tributes
Basically, there are 12 districts, each has a specialty. You can add this to make the game interesting​
You can choose coaches! Like, a combat coach, survival coach, etc.​
Traits may be picked, e.g. Coward, runs faster when there are enemies nearby.​
When they die, they become sponsors. They can bet, help, even sabotage other sponsors. Those who bet to the right person, and that person won, it will give them a bonus next round.​
-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-
3. Terrain dangers
As Hera_ said, add random events! It will encourage ( and annoy ) players to hasten up and kill the others​
Lava, envenomed terrain, wasps, and other things that will damage, but it cannot kill, other tributes.​
-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-

Eh,I should probably stop. I'll give more suggestions if you want to. But this will suffice. Adios.

-Da Fist-

Oh, and good luck.

Level 6
Thank you a lot for these really well thought suggestions! I especially like the one with the fire!
About the tributes and the coaches, I'm not sure if it makes sense to add more than one round. Bur that's something' I can't really judge yet.

However, I agree that each tribute should be somehow unique, although I guess it would be sufficient if there only are 12 choseable "classes" just male and female as further distinction maybe. The main problem is that it will require a lot of models if this idea is realized so that the models fit their theme and not only differentiate though carrying another weapon.

Speaking about Terrain, I am going to add a lot of random and possibly sponsor triggered event's. Due to the different clima zones there's a lot of room for things like firestorms/blizzards, or general traps that maybe even players could set, such as traps which are originally designed to hunt bears.
If a tribute steps on it, it will break his leg, stun him briefly, and makes him move slower as a result. Depending on the trap's quality, it could also make him bleed

Some details about the needs, Tributes will have to eat and sleep in order to regain health and mana/energy. They lose health periodically and mana only when not standing still.

If you have more ideas I'd be glad to hear/read them :)

Kind Regards,
Hades

Level 6
Hey guys, just a quick update from my side.

Now that I have decided to realize the idea, I am going to open an official map development thread about this map in the near future. For the time being, I'd like to drop this screenshot here.

cgFPcgz.png

Gives a glimpse what systems I am going to use and some other hints about Multiboards.

Short question for those reading the topic, do you feel like a 3rd person camera would suit the map better than the standard top-down view?

Best Regards and looking foreward to the official project launch in the near future,
Hades

Post Scriptum: I'm going to launch the official Map Development Thread tomorrow, 27.05.2013 !

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.