• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Hero/summoning army system

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 3
Has this been done before? I'd like to see similar approaches or your ideas and suggestions.

I've been thinking about a system where you control a hero and have access to an army menu (dummy hero for the icon's sake) where you can summon different monsters (using the shop mechanic for adding different units in the game) that follow you.

Basically the clou is: your hero does not join the fight and is the last priority to your enemies. Instead, you have an army fighting for you. Once your army is dead you are doomed. So this would either be an RPG or any other map type where you controll a single hero. Instead, you have to manage an army, use the right units for different situations and so on. The hero could have different abilities to interfere fights, such as healing wounded units, attack spells or whatever you can think of. I imagine the army-units not to be controllable except for a generic 'attack point' and 'return' command. It could be extended to a point where you can level up or use talents on single units in your army to specialize them, have them learn abilities which they auto-cast and whatever you could think of.

Also, what do you think this would work best with? An RPG? A MOBA-styled game, a hero defense, teamplay? I am very open to connect this system to other ideas for map types.

Ardenian

A

Ardenian

I recall some maps having exactly this/ a similar system as you describe it. Don't task me for names tho, I don't know them.

Tho, it would be awesome to have such a system in the spell section.

It would fit many genres. For army simulation in RPGs, for mini games, for DOTA-like maps, you can find in nearly every genre a use for this.

Are you planning to create such a system/ a map ?

Level 3
I have never created a system because i tend to design all features specifically for the maps i use them in, so i am very inexperienced in developing a general system.

What i experiment with right now is a system that just copies your heroes orders to the one of your "army" (currently limited at 12 units for unit group reasons). Another detection will force army units to stay within hero range in case some orders get messed up (however that never happened before).

Buying units in your second hero will summon them to your army and add them to your unit group. It's really really basic but i'm trying to make it as useful as possible, also trying to eliminate collision problems while still having some sort of positioning with the armies and your hero.

Actually the genre of the map is what i'm struggling with. The system itself is really simple, but much more exciting than just playing a single hero. However it can be used in every kind of map, so considering the implementation i'm pretty much lost right now.

Level 6
I have never created a system because i tend to design all features specifically for the maps i use them in, so i am very inexperienced in developing a general system.

What i experiment with right now is a system that just copies your heroes orders to the one of your "army" (currently limited at 12 units for unit group reasons). Another detection will force army units to stay within hero range in case some orders get messed up (however that never happened before).

Buying units in your second hero will summon them to your army and add them to your unit group. It's really really basic but i'm trying to make it as useful as possible, also trying to eliminate collision problems while still having some sort of positioning with the armies and your hero.

Actually the genre of the map is what i'm struggling with. The system itself is really simple, but much more exciting than just playing a single hero. However it can be used in every kind of map, so considering the implementation i'm pretty much lost right now.
reminds me of
http://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/maps-564/heroes-genesia-132031/?prev=r=20&extension=w3n&page=3

Status
Not open for further replies.