• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

BTNWex

Invoker

Click on an icons to find its resource page.

Spells

Keywords:
Invoker, Dota, 2, Wex, lightning, purple, ring, electric
Contents

BTNWex (Icon)

Reviews
00:44, 17th Jan 2016 Apheraz Lucent: Sleek, neat and a quality product.
Did u work on 64X64 size(original size)?

Yup, I don't know why. I was surprised when I went back to look at it (it's still open in pixlr) and found that's what I did. You'll note the edges show in the master but in the icon they get covered by the border. I can send screenshots of pixlr if you are concerned about authenticity.

Could you possible explain to both Sin and me how you did the outer waves in the upper right corner of the icon? Both the coloration, base, and gradient render steps.

Sorry for being skeptical, but you really got me off-guard.

No problem. It is actually a huge compliment. I will attempt to make a mini tutorial and show step by step how I created it.

Wex Icon

Wex1.jpg
First, I used a large brush with a blurred edge. Opacity 42.
Wex2.jpg
Then, I used a slightly smaller one with a sharp edge to block out the center.
Wex3.jpg
Now I select the area around the shape and select only the shape.
I cut this image out for demonstration. I then create new layers.
Wex4.jpg
I paste my shape back on to a black background several times to create rings.
You may also use layers and use the erase tool to remove the center of the circle to make rings.
Wex5.jpg
Then I copy all and paste, rotating and distorting my image to mirror in an offset way.
Wex6.jpg
Ooooh, now for a little glow.
Wex7.jpg
In a new layer, I will make some happy little rings for hi-lights.
Wex8.jpg
I erase the extra and start a new layer for more hi-light rings on the bottom.
Wex9.jpg
Again, erase the extra and now we can flatten the layers down.
Wex10.jpg
I use the dodge tool to lighten the highlights on the ring.
You can also use a brush with white or a light pink at low opacity.
Wex11.jpg
At this point, I realized that my image was a bit dark and needed saturation, so I adjusted it.
Wex12.jpg
Now, I touch up with the burn and dodge tool as well as a pink brush with a blurred edge 16 opacity.
Wex13.jpg
I darken some shadows and midtones and add some pink or purple haze around the center.
I also, saturate the center and disaturated the edges.
I'm not sure why, but I think it draws the viewer in and adds a 3d feel.
Wex14.jpg
Now, I get paint on my finger, and smear it gently in zig zag lines to make the lightning bolts.
(Smudge Tool)
Wex15.jpg
Final touches, a few new dark rings around the center, dabs of pink again 16 opacity.
Touches of dodge tool and we have a final product.

Last edited: