• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

What is the Best RPG game you ever played?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 24
I love dragon age, but Inquisition felt kinda unfinished. The ending seemed really quick and we didnt really get that many questions answered.

That seems to be the theme of all dragon age games they all seem to leave a lot of unfinished questions.

I'd take each of the IE games all the time over all the games of the Dragon Age franchise combined.

Especially Planescape Torment and Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn.

Everything about these games just oozed personality. The Bio-cloneware doesn't hold a candle against this. The best part of the IE games: there was one for every flavour:
1) Icewind Dale I and II for the ultimate dungeoncrawling experience
2) the Baldurs Gate Trilogy for a truly massive high fantasy epicness (damn, when you finally reach the final chapter after almost 200 hours of gameplay and almost godlike powers, how satisfying is that ending? ... and the music ... god damn, the music! ... if you don't have goosebumps once the credits role in, I have no words for you.)
3) Planescape Torment for the most memorable characters and the best roleplaying-experience of your lifetime. This game brings "multiple choice" to a whole new level.

Level 19
baldars's gate was pretty cool, until I found out that powers don't matter cause the system has a retardation (automatically makes it easier or harder in accordance with your death tally)

dungeon siege... same thing

skyruim and oblivion...same thing

god of war (I know other doesn't count) was damn awesome and I can't find complaint with it.

that game before oblivion was damn awesome as well,but someone needs to go back and rebuilds that game. every bloody time you have to click on plants to pick them up... so annoying!

dragon age is pretty cool, but again it's got a retardation meaning strategy and selection of powers means nothing.

basically so far I haven't found a satisfying game... and being a programmer doesn't help either. I'm pretty sure if I was oblivious to retardation systems, I would have enjoyed those games, but knowing the truth means all my choices in the game mean nothing

Level 6
I'm a real addict to The Sunken City map, I finished it like 5 times solo.
If u mean other games, I don't have any. I played a lot of MMORPGs tho. Jade Dynasty being the best.

Baldur's Gate doesn't have "retardation" (I suppose you mean auto-scaling?).

It has a few areas in which encounters are selected based on your level, but even those are static in design.

But yes, I also vote for Baldurs Gate (more II than I, because I has a lot of flaws in it's story and pacing). It's probably the biggest RPG epos of our time.

Level 19
Baldur's Gate doesn't have "retardation" (I suppose you mean auto-scaling?).

what do you call it when you use cheat codes and get every power in the game and set all your states to 40.. but it takes you the exact same time in order to kill people as it did a second ago.

same for dragon age origins. you can have a million strength points but it will still require you to hack a person to death.

I almost forgot about Fable. actually reconsidering it. fable 3 is probably the best rpg I have ever played.

Last edited:
what do you call it when you use cheat codes and get every power in the game and set all your states to 40.. but it takes you the exact same time in order to kill people as it did a second ago.
Did you even play this game? And I'm talking about the PC classics, not the horrible console cash-in that does have literally nothing in common with the PC games other than the name.

All monster stats are fixed, encounters never scale and besides: stats are capped at 25. And most of them don't even increase your power much, except for strength and dexterity, so it's no wonder it doesn't make much of a difference. This is a tactical game, not a gear-based game.

I'm pretty sure at this point that the game you are talking of is not baldur's gate.

Level 19
Did you even play this game? And I'm talking about the PC classics, not the horrible console cash-in that does have literally nothing in common with the PC games other than the name.

All monster stats are fixed, encounters never scale and besides: stats are capped at 25. And most of them don't even increase your power much, except for strength and dexterity, so it's no wonder it doesn't make much of a difference. This is a tactical game, not a gear-based game.

I'm pretty sure at this point that the game you are talking of is not baldur's gate.

I was playing the PC version. I couldn't beat that witch on the last stage, so I hacked into the game and pushed up all my states. didn't do a damn thing. I think maybe bosses are scaled up.

also I think what sucks the most about that game is no matter how you win, you die anyway.

I think they give you the choice of power or destroying that power.

if you take the power you go mad and kill yourself after almost destroying the world

if you destroy the power, it kills you and eliminates all magic from the world...

I was playing the PC version. I couldn't beat that witch on the last stage, so I hacked into the game and pushed up all my states. didn't do a damn thing. I think maybe bosses are scaled up.
I guess you are talking about Melissan? BG2:TOB battles are pretty hardcore. Pushing the stats will not make much of a difference there. This battle is about making use of all your resources. This ain't no modern age RPG that holds your hands.
But, no, this encounter does not scale at all. It's just that stats don't make much difference at this point.

also I think what sucks the most about that game is no matter how you win, you die anyway.
You don't. You either become a god, or become a mortal. In neither of these cases will you die.

I think they give you the choice of power or destroying that power.

if you take the power you go mad and kill yourself after almost destroying the world
Also not correct. You either become a good god or an evil god if you take the ascencion choice. In neither of these cases will you destroy the world.

if you destroy the power, it kills you and eliminates all magic from the world...
What? No it doesn't.
Maybe you should get your facts straight before going on... you clearly mistake this game for something else.

Remixer

Map Reviewer
Level 31
Top 5:
1. Gothic 2 - Night of the Raven (10/10) (Amazing storyline, beautiful environment, challenging and time-taking, gorgeous music, detailed character interactions, re-playability, lots to do, not repetitive)
2. Gothic (8/10) (Just like Gothic 2, just worse controls and not as balanced)
3. The Witcher 2 - Assassins of the King (7/10) (decent music, stunning environment, nicely challenging though some weird executions, nice storyline, not very interactive)
4. Gothic 3 (6/10) (once again, stunning music and beautiful environment, your choices matter and the progress in game is very visible, cons are not a really good storyline and the game is pretty buggy (without patches), also the game is rather easy)
5. The Elder Scrolls V - Skyrim (5/10) (gorgeous environment and pretty interactive world, lovely crafting system and a lot to do, however the gameplay becomes quickly very repetitive and the quests could be more unique and uniquely character/location/town/situation based, also has some bugs and the game is really easy)

Ardenian

A

Ardenian

Every game featuring Angels and Demons, like Diablo and Darksiders

Ardenian

A

Ardenian

I always wonder whether games like Dante or Bayonetta are considered a RPG.

Deleted member 242951

D

Deleted member 242951

I think its Devil May Cry series or the Prince of Persia series

Level 24
Dragon Age: Origins no doubt. It has an awesome story with the best villain I've ever seen, Loghain. It is a game where all your choices feel like they really matter, absolutely adore it.

Level 34
I'm currently playing Divinity: Original Sin because the enhanced version came out. It's fantastic, and definitely one of my favorites.

I am also playing Star Wars the Old Republic and Marvel Heroes. Love them both.

There are a ton of RPGs that I used to play and love. Some of them are not great games anymore, but they had their time (Champions Return to Arms for example).

Level 24
Personally I never really liked Baldur's Gate always prefered Icewind Dale, plus it was the first game I ever played.

Shar Dundred

Community Moderator
Level 72
Personally I never really liked Baldur's Gate always prefered Icewind Dale, plus it was the first game I ever played.

Welp, they're both good. ;)

Unfortunately, I have no hopes for this. I appreciate what Beamdog did in the engine revamp, but all the content they added to the original game was ... mediocre at best.

I think the new npcs were good. Too bad they weren't allowed to edit the original characters.
Still better than Pillars of Eternity, imho.

Welp, they're both good. ;)
Absolutely! You play BG and Icewind Dale for completely different reasons imho.

BG is played for the story. IWD is played for the combat.

I think the new npcs were good. Too bad they weren't allowed to edit the original characters.
Still better than Pillars of Eternity, imho.
I ... uh ... I'll be honest; I didn't like either of the new characters. Neera had some interesting character traits, but the writing was terrible and never made these traits shine.
The monk and the Blackguard had - again - some interesting backstories, but the dialogues played out completely uninteresting.
And don't get me started on the vampire in BG2:EE.
Most imbalanced character ever.

But maybe I'm just glorifying the original game too much. If I'm really honest to myself, then there were also some members of the original cast that had sub-par writing in them.

Then again, there was Jan Jansen. And TOB had stellar writing for all of the original characters, especially Imoen, who really got the short end of the stick pre-TOB in terms of party banter.

And I have to admit I actually liked Pillars of Eternity. It had some serious flaws in gameplay and the initial release was a buggy mess, but I liked many of the characters, especially Grieving Mother, who was completely weird, but in a good way.

Shar Dundred

Community Moderator
Level 72
Absolutely! You play BG and Icewind Dale for completely different reasons imho.

BG is played for the story. IWD is played for the combat.

Couldn't agee more.
I learned, though, that with NPC companions, the story of IWD can become much better (Still not matching the one from Baldur's Gate though, but it's a step in the right direction) by adding NPC companions. I installed a mod for companions that actually talk, know people, say their opinions etc. and in my opinion it enhanced the story a lot.

I ... uh ... I'll be honest; I didn't like either of the new characters. Neera had some interesting character traits, but the writing was terrible and never made these traits shine.
The monk and the Blackguard had - again - some interesting backstories, but the dialogues played out completely uninteresting.
And don't get me started on the vampire in BG2:EE.
Most imbalanced character ever.

Totally agreed about the vampire, but then again, they had to make vampires special in a way and giving a party NPC level drain.... I dunno.
Might just be me, but I liked Neera's dialogues in a fun way. Gotta say that Dorn annoys the hell outta me with his babbling, though.

I didn't want to say that the new characters beat the old ones - absolutely not - I just wanted to say that they were, in my opinion, interesting in their own way and I considered them at least matching the old ones.

I also find the new added sets for some classes interesting, i. e. the monk getting sub-classes and the Dragon Disciple. Not sure about the monks, but as far as I can tell, the disciple is not OP since the lack of one spell per level kinda hurts. At least in BG:EE Black Pits, haven't tried one in BG2:EE yet.

And I have to admit I actually liked Pillars of Eternity. It had some serious flaws in gameplay and the initial release was a buggy mess, but I liked many of the characters, especially Grieving Mother, who was completely weird, but in a good way.

Well, impale me, but I just don't like it. :p

Level 13
Does mmorpg count? The best so far is zu online. Its the best in my opinion, it has the best systems a game can evet had. Not the best graphics but still the best rpg. If we are talking about wc3 rpgs i would say gaias retaliation. Or if u want an rpg that can be finished in 1 sit then i would recommend sweetrevenge

Well, impale me, but I just don't like it. :p
Fair enough. I absolutely respect that oppinion. I can also understand why many people dislike Grieving Mother or Durance, since they are basicly supposed to be unlikeable characters to begin with (and have a weird way of talking to boot).
Doesn't change the fact that there is something oddly attractive about the former. I so wanted to get in her pants and it was a shame you couldn't romance her, even if it made total sense, since she is a midwife and obsessed with children. :/
Also, nothing says "kinky sex" like dating a mind-reading telepathic mentalist.

The elder scrolls 3,4 and 5. <3
Dawn of Magic 1 and 2,a cool russian game.
Titan Quest,awesome game.
Depth of peirl,not the best game,but the gameplay is awesome.
Lionheart:Legacy of the crusader,not the best animations,but a cool story.
Fable 1 and 2,a amazing game.
Assassins Creed,every assassins creed game is AWESOME.
Infamous,every infamous game is OP.
Prototype,every prototype game is too OP.

Level 24

Well that narrows it down. :D

Level 21
Uhmmmmmm....I'm pretty sure you are suppose to choose one

Status
Not open for further replies.