• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Torchlight - Like Diablo 3

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi guys, this is the first post outside the modeling stuff that I do :)

anyway, what do you say about Torchlight: to get a glimps, here is the official site :

http://www.torchlightgame.com/

They offer COMPLETE modding to the game, there is already a little movie for scripting and making your own maps etc... looks awsome

T.

Level 15
Looks very "meh" to me, especially in comparison to Diablo 3. I think I'll just wait for Diablo 3 to come out so I can pirate (YAARR!) it and play solo.

Level 15
The release date of Torchlight is 27.10.2009.
The relese date of D3 is sometime in 2011, if then. Definately not in 2010.
Your point? I mean, I'm hyped about the game, but I'm not worried that it will be delayed. Blizzard delays games so that they can polish and fine-tune them to perfection. Why should they rush Diablo III?

Torchlight only costs about 20 $.
It hasn't piqued my interest in the slightest, so I couldn't care less.

Level 25
My dad just showed me this game, yes, he's and old Diablo fan.

And, I don't know where he found this, but apparently
they are the company that first made Diablo
or made it for Blizzard or something like that.
I can't say it's true, but my dad belives it.

My opinion:
I will buy this game and Diablo III, both looks
like good games and I love "Hack'n'Slash" RPGs!

But I have to be honest, I can't wait for Diablo III!

And MultiGod, can you stop posting meaningless posts? :S

Level 13
My dad just showed me this game, yes, he's and old Diablo fan.

And, I don't know where he found this, but apparently
they are the company that first made Diablo
or made it for Blizzard or something like that.
I can't say it's true, but my dad belives it.
Diablo 1 & 2 was made by Blizzard North (or something like that), which later broke off from Blizzard. Then they formed Flagship Studios (or was it entertainment) and made Hellgate: London... which failed. Then Flagship broke off and some of the people of Flagship formed another company which now made this game.

Level 14
Torchlight does look intresting, maybe something that could kill the wait for diablo 3

Edit: WAIT YOU CAN MOD THE GAME? I'M HYPED AND SOLD AND I NEED TO CAPS.

Level 25
Diablo 1 & 2 was made by Blizzard North (or something like that), which later broke off from Blizzard. Then they formed Flagship Studios (or was it entertainment) and made Hellgate: London... which failed. Then Flagship broke off and some of the people of Flagship formed another company which now made this game.
Ok, I was "almost" right :p

http://massivedamage.com/2009/09/04/torchlight-to-make-a-pax-showing-launch-date-revealed/
"Runic Games’ development team is largely made up of former Diablo, Diablo II, and Fate developers."

Level 14
yes it should be very much modDable and customizeable.

Does it have like a trigger editor or stuff like that or only terrain editor like in Titan quest?

edit: Will the game be released for digital download?

Level 37
Does it have like a trigger editor or stuff like that or only terrain editor like in Titan quest?

edit: Will the game be released for digital download?

It will have some kind of a trigger system that you can do things with. You can also model new monsters, create skins for them etc. And from what I understood, you can create your own classes and abilities. So there should be a lot of things you can do with their editor.

The game will be only released as digital version at first, and hard copies are available some time early next year, but the date is not set yet as far as I know.

Level 14
It will have some kind of a trigger system that you can do things with. You can also model new monsters, create skins for them etc. And from what I understood, you can create your own classes and abilities. So there should be a lot of things you can do with their editor.

The game will be only released as digital version at first, and hard copies are available some time early next year, but the date is not set yet as far as I know.

Great, one bad part with the game is the fact that there's no LAN which would've been awesome.

Level 14
I played the game today as a Vanquisher. This class has 3 skill trees, first is for ranged weapons, 2nd is for close combat and 3rd is for laying out traps. (kinda like Amazon + Assassin).

The UI is so similar to d2 such as the character panel, skill tree panel, pressing W to change weapons and many other. Stats are also very simple. It's pretty easy to make the right choice of item for your character.

I'm surprised it occupies less than 700mb o.0.

Idk how far I got into the game, but I reached the 3rd tileset in around 3-4 hours of play. It is really fast paced, however I am disappointed of the difficulty. Started out on Normal Difficulty and it's pretty easy atm.

You have some interesting points called "Fame Points", atm I am level 6 in fame while my character is level 17, however I didn't found out what the fame points do.

The pet is pretty useful. It's pretty strong, it can carry items, you can also send it to sell the items in the town while you carry on the fight. You can teach it some spells, it can equip a neck and a couple of rings.

Many mechanics and features from diablo 2 are present here. Such as magic find chance, gambling, socketed items, gems which atm give the same kind of stats as in Diablo.

Overall a pretty fun game to play and relax to. I am really interested to see how the plot playes out and I hope there are many more tilesets for me to play and not be a "2 day finished" game.

Level 37
Idk how far I got into the game, but I reached the 3rd tileset in around 3-4 hours of play. It is really fast paced, however I am disappointed of the difficulty. Started out on Normal Difficulty and it's pretty easy atm.

You have some interesting points called "Fame Points", atm I am level 6 in fame while my character is level 17, however I didn't found out what the fame points do.

Based on some reviews, it's appararently very difficult on the hardest difficulty. Someone even said it's more difficult than D2 with /players 8. Don't know about that though.

As you get more fame, you get skill points.

So a friend sent me a link to a review about this game — 2 days later I bought it.
Right now I have a level 19 Alchemist on difficulty Hard.
As I've read in the review already that the difficulty is quite easy unless you choose the Very Hard Difficulty, I've gone right away choosing hard =p.

I have to agree that the beginning (on hard difficulty) was in fact, damn friggin easy. You could 1 hit everything.
Now on level 19 its actually getting harder, the monsters can take a lot of damage and also hurt me pretty hard. Good thing I got meatbags aka summonings.

But I believe one reason it's getting harder for me is because I'm already totally offskilled. I followed no guide, spend skill points into skills I think are interesting and spent stat points according to the equipment I want to wear.
Well, that's the normal procedure I do with every new game I play.

How the world is build up:
It appears that there is only 1 dungeon (at least the main dungeon)* in which you go like endless floors deeper (diablo1 anyone? ;D) and therefore only have 1 town called Torchlight (maybe there are more but didn't find any yet).

*There is another Quest NPC that opens a portal to another dungeon, where you have to complete the quest inside. After you finish the portal will close.
That pretty much repeats itself everytime the NPC has a quest for you.

Anyway! Back to my opinion!
One thing I really dislike is how they handled the skill usage interface.
First of all you have a limited number of slots where you can put skills which you can then access with the keys 1-9.
Another 2 skills you can use with LMB and RMB. You can switch the RMB skill by using Tab.
HOWEVER, every single time you use a skill out of your skill window (via rightclick) it will automatically overwrite the skill you have set to RMB. Therefore you have to click on the slot again and choose the skill you had there before.
They should have AT LEAST didn't make it overwrite the RMB skill.
That's something that really annoys me! Especially if you're in combat.

To the graphical aspect, I just gotta say that I like it. While others find it too cartoonic or not up-to-date, all I can say is 15$.
Nice skill effects and animations.
The price in comparison to the quality of the game is A++.
Some people even say its underpriced. But I think for that it lacks some features, which could have been added or maybe even will be added at some later time.

The story, I didn't bother with. I don't like to say it at it seems like a great game, but the story is kind of... boring... i guess... Most of the times I simply fly over the story that is being told before I click on continue.

Conclusion:
Worth its money. If you liked D2 you can go and give it a try.
Good to kill time until D3/SC2 comes out.

But one thing this game MUST have is multiplayer. I don't expect too much, but atleast a LAN feature. Please guys from Runic Games or former employees of Blizzard North: ADD MULTIPLAYER KTHNXBAIBBQ!!!111

Status
Not open for further replies.