• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

New Spyro Games

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 63
Activision has written Spyro the Dragon off as one of their stupid Skylander characters, cancelling all on-going projects relating to him at the time including possible games and a film that was more than half done. Although I am sure you already know that as it was big talk during the Activision with Vevendi Games merger. Chances of him ever being his own character outside the Skylander universe is impossibly slim, meaning he is doomed to rot in there forever.

Although I do admit that gaming does need playable dragon main protagonists, I am afraid Spyro will not be one again. Some other dragon created by some other company with some other back story will probably be for the best.

That said when Insomniac games sold off Spyro to Sierra he went pretty much down hill. The same could not be said about Insomniac games (the producer of the first 3 Spyro the Dragon games on PS1) as they went on to create the critically acclaimed Ratchet and Clank series showing that it was the developer and not the character that was good. Sierra did try to clean up their act with the final trilogy by trying to make Spyro and the planned film (cancelled) by making Spyro more serious however questionable story lines, linear game play and low difficulty produced poor rattings. Spyro was pretty much surviving as a series by a hand full of hardcore dedicated fans and forced sales as part of bundles and things. As such during the merger and closure of Sierra (who frankly were making total rubbish at the time like Empire Earth 3) Spyro was side lined into the Skylander series with focus primarily being placed on Activision Blizzard and games like Battlefield as well as their game tie-ins for films.

Of interesting note was the Spyro the Dragon film was in development around the same time as the World of Warcraft film (both were part of some kind of movie agreement), both before the merger. However where as the World of Warcraft film was apparently put on hold until recently where production must have resumed (its due for release reasonably soon now), the Spyro the Dragon film was suspended indefinitely to the state that its former developers had no clue what was happening (probably told to stay at home until called) and were so annoyed that they leaked the entire script and some other material to a few hardcore fans.

In a twist of fate the original producer's successor character Ratchet and Clank will be receiving a film shortly (due for release next year I think?) even though it was not even planned around the time the Spyro the Dragon film was scheduled for release. However this is purely down to Sony's newest idea of pushing film tie-ins for video games (reversed rolls lol) with I believe a Sly Cooper film also being planned for release a year or two later.

^As DSG said. I honestly don't think it is worth playing the newer spyro games. They seem visually appealing, but nothing like the original spyro series.

I recommend getting whichever original spyro games you haven't played for. Mostly the Playstation ones. I played a bit of year of the dragon as a kid, and had a lot of fun, but my disk got scratched and I couldn't play the rest. Ripto's rage has tons of replayability. Try giving it another go if you haven't played it in a while. :) The only issue is that spyro gives me really bad motion sickness. I can only play 1 level at a time before I get nausea. It sucks too, since the games are a lot of fun.

IMO, try Ratchet and Clank, or Crash Bandicoot (the original Naughty Dawg ones, and Wrath of Cortex was good too). You won't get much of that genre in the next-gen consoles, apart from the Wii u. I don't recommend Skylanders. I haven't tried it, but just from the gameplay videos, it looks like an average grinding game. Nothing too special, and I imagine it is a huge $$ sink with those collectible things.

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 63
The only issue is that spyro gives me really bad motion sickness. I can only play 1 level at a time before I get nausea. It sucks too, since the games are a lot of fun.
Probably down to how they project the textures onto surfaces. Since they were pushing the PS1 hardware they turned off some perspective correction resulting in very strange artefacts. Specifically straight lines on walls appeared to change angel in block like sections as you moved around it. The entire walls themselves appear to distort as you move. This obviously generates motion on the walls giving you a feeling they are moving so could quite well result in motion sickness.

They really need to be re-released with that fault corrected.

You won't get much of that genre in the next-gen consoles
You will get the odd Ratchet and Clank for PS4 as it is one of their flagship games that they are using to try and push sales. However when they finally make one will it be of the same quality is questionable.

I don't recommend Skylanders. I haven't tried it, but just from the gameplay videos, it looks like an average grinding game. Nothing too special, and I imagine it is a huge $$ sink with those collectible things.
Its aimed at children. Unlike PS1 Spyro which was aimed more at gamers.

Level 9
So, I have 2 younger brothers, I want to play it off as that, but I actually love the skylanders games.

I don't know maybe i'm easily amused but it's a basic "gauntlet" style beat-em-up game with some cool character design and great voice acting, the villain and the main "hero" are both hilarious and I love the writing,

the only problem I find with it, is once you finish the main story, you're characters are grossly under level from the max, and there is nothing else to do with them, as you need "skylanders" of different types to complete different points of the story, and each skylander on it's own costs about $20-$40, so it's a cash hole.

AS FOR THE ORGINIAL SPYRO:

I loved it until after year of the dragon, it got too dark, and the story became very complicated there was this girl dragon named Cinder, and she was actually dead... like a ghost... yeah it was all too confusing and kind of ruined the games for me after that... but oh boy, kicking Ripto's butt after countless hours of chasing that stupid little prick down, was more than satisfactory!

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 63
I loved it until after year of the dragon, it got too dark, and the story became very complicated there was this girl dragon named Cinder, and she was actually dead... like a ghost...
You must be referring to the Spyro Legend trilogy which was the last 3 games made. It was very dark however Cinder was not dead. In the last game she was a playable character throughout the game who was very much alive. Although the end left you to believe Spyro was dead the writers had something planned that was never used as he was turned into a Skylander instead.

but oh boy, kicking Ripto's butt after countless hours of chasing that stupid little prick down, was more than satisfactory!
Or just kick him in 5-10 minutes from starting like the guys at Tool Assisted Speedruns did.

I don't know maybe i'm easily amused but it's a basic "gauntlet" style beat-em-up game with some cool character design and great voice acting, the villain and the main "hero" are both hilarious and I love the writing,

the only problem I find with it, is once you finish the main story, you're characters are grossly under level from the max, and there is nothing else to do with them, as you need "skylanders" of different types to complete different points of the story, and each skylander on it's own costs about $20-$40, so it's a cash hole.
The problem is that it is not a Spyro game. Spyro was just a tiny insignificant part of it who has long since been made obsolete (probably) by constantly released new monsters which have nothing to do with Spyro. Although some look cool, most have very stupid kiddy designs to them.

If they really wanted to do Spyro justice they should throw him in as an Easter egg into SC2/D3 (Yes Skylanders is made by Activision Blizzard, the publisher and owner of Blizzard). In SC2 there could be some image on some ancient Protoss rune or something or a statue used as a city doodad. In Diablo III A temporary fire breathing dragon summoned on hit probably would not go amiss even if it is only purple and does not look anything like Spyro. I believe WoW has a purple dragon somewhere in reference to Spyro already. The games are so full of Easter eggs anyway it would probably be unnoticed (how many Diablo III items have you noticed are Easter Eggs?) And no Blizzard is not too serious for it as their Diablo III legendaries have shown.

Level 9
Right, I never understood the Trilogy of spyro games, and I believe we rented the last one where she was playable and never got very far, which is probably because of my confusion.

And granted the gameplay is not spyro and while he is not the only focus, you can totally see where they incorporated spyro like elements (sheep, fairy, power-ups, etc.) I am a firm believer in try it before you hate it, in gaming.

As for a Spyro easter egg is blizzard games, that is something I would completely approve of, I like the idea, it sounds like a blizzard move...

Status
Not open for further replies.