• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

HotS

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 4
So I'm just interested. Is the game going to be great or not so great. Since idk how will the game keep some strategic elements like similar games with no items etc. is it just action based or choices in spell build and pick influence game as much as in dota? I mean I dislike action games like cod and similar so I'm asking.

Well it's a bit of an odd one in the DotA-like genre. There are no carries, so a good player can't carry the team if his teammates are playing badly. However, it's much easier to master, imo, since items are not something to worry about. The inclusion of Talents does add customisation to how you spec your Hero, but it's not like with items where you have to worry about last hitting or not stealing kills from the carry or even pushing the lane too much.

Heroes have set roles, and while it is able to nudge them in a certain direction by picking specific Talents, you're still going to do largely what your class is meant to do. There is a laning phase in the early game, meant to give your team experience and maybe push the lane a bit, depending on the hero you use (for instance, you can snipe the enemy's fountain if you play as Tassadar early on, though it can be a risky maneuver). Spreading our the team early on is recommended to amass the most exp - just steamrolling in a deathball makes you miss out on useful exp and consequently gives the enemy team a level advantage.

The biggest flaw with HotS right now is the fact that, unless you have a co-ordinated team, you can get completely wrecked. Teamwork in HotS isn't just important, it's VITAL. No teamwork means you fail at map objectives and just plain lose teamfights... and as we all know, feeding is bad.

That being said, I love the game. I'm generally bad at Dota-likes, but HotS is refreshing in it's newb-friendliness. Now, if only I could get a stable team...

Level 4
Well that being said, I'm certain that when I get the game I'm gonna miss the items a lot. But I think I will like the game, just only question is that I have to ask when you say there are no carries, do you mean like heroes that are premade to fit the role of a carry or do you mean there is no snowball and xp doesn't give so much advantage?
Cause at first I disliked the fact that there are no items, but if that could be compensated through spell build and exp lvl, it wouldn't be so bad. Only that the game loses a little bit of it's complexity. Cause for me snowball is something that shouldn't be removed from dota genre as it is being done at this time.

By no carries, I mean that the game doesn't have a hero that can basically take on the enemy team single-handedly because he's farmed enough XP, since in HotS, levels are not individual but team-wide. Depending on your positioning and build, a team 2 or 3 levels bellow the opposing team can still win a teamfight. There are certain things you have to take into consideration, like not engagin in teamfights if you are under levels 10/20 and your enemy is, since at these levels they gain access to their ultimates/ultimate upgrades, which gives them a significant boost in firepower and/or survivability.

Personally, I don't miss items. At all. I find that games are too short to create that build-up towards obtain an items that can turn the tide. Instead, the talents feel like a welcome substitute, and just like items, getting the wrong ones can screw you over pretty terribly.

As far as I can tell from the games I've played, you can only steamroll your enemy if they have poor teamfight and you get overconfident and maybe one of your allies gets a bit too greedy, runs out of positing and gets sniped. If you get teamwiped (or even just lose like 3 heroes) the enemy team can quickly retaliate and just rush your Core.

So no, there isn't really the snowball effect in HotS.

Status
Not open for further replies.