• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

The Elder Scrolls

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 21
I was wondering how many of you still play the elder scrolls series a lot.
I play Skyrim each day and oblivion at least twice a week. I love the elder scrolls series because I don't feel forced to do the main quest. I just do my thing.

If you do still play it,wich one is your favourite in the series?

I recently got a new computer (like, not even a week ago), so I reinstalled Skyrim (with a boatload of mods) and have been re-playing it again. The main reason why was just so I could finally run a pretty ENB without completely crippling my framerate. It still did T_T so I switch to a less demanding one and now I can play with 30-40 fps. I need to try overclocking and see how much I can get...

As for my favourite, I'll have to go with Oblivion. Something about the eternal winter of Skyrim makes the environment less interesting for me. Despite the generic fantasy setting of Oblivion, it had... mystique. Idk how else to explain it, Oblivion felt magical to me in a way Skyrim failed to replicate. Plus how do you top that Dark Brotherhood quest in TES4? Imo that was the crowning jewel of that game.

That said, I don't think I can go back to Oblivion. I have a lot of trouble getting back into old games. I guess I love pretty graphics way too much.

Level 22
I don't play it anymore, but when I did, I role-played like a dentist and gave everyone a dental appointment.

Level 9
Pff Alduin is nothing next to Deathwing. I have played only Skyrim and it was laggy as hell, but i dont want to play the fourth one, because from the graphics it looks like it was made in 2005 and thats why it doesnt feel very advanced. Btw Skyrim i have heard is super addicting just like WoW. I remember tho when i finally got out of that cave at the start i went to village and since i didnt really understand anything i killed the chicken and the whole village came at me. Even with huge lag i was able to pwn them, but the quest guy was dead and then i had to start over again. When i finally got to turn in the quest i didnt play anymore since i saw that there is just no way to play this game at like 10-15 fps.

Level 16
I used to think Skyrim was the best RPG out there, now I feel like it's made for casuls(Thanks Dark Souls).
Anyways, vanilla Skyrim is crap. Modded Skyrim, now that's the best.
I'll be upgrading my comp soon so I'll definitely be playing Skyrim once I have it with all those mods out there that makes skyrim pretty pretty.

Level 15
but i dont want to play the fourth one, because from the graphics it looks like it was made in 2005 and thats why it doesnt feel very advanced.

Well, Oblivion was made in 2005 and released in 2006, so... no duh it feels like it was made then, because it was.

I'm sorry, nothing tops Morrowind. Oblivion is too generic, Skyrim has too much hand holding and was dumbed down wayyyyyy too much. None of the quests were very interesting, and the only part I found enjoyable was the Dragonborn DLC, which just revisited content from Morrowind.

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 63
but i dont want to play the fourth one, because from the graphics it looks like it was made in 2005 and thats why it doesnt feel very advanced.
Yet its the exact same graphics used by current generation games, expect tweaked a bit.

The main problem with the series is they keep forcing it to be a single-player game yet it would be perfect for local coop (2-5 people), or even split screen coop. Sure there was that MMORPG they made but who remembers that (it failed so fast I am not even sure what its current state is).

Having a group of 2-3 friends playing it in a variety of classes would greatly improve its replayability and open it up for so much more. Instead of forcing you to be a jack of all trades you could instead be forced into a specific role.

The game series also lacked a "newgame+" feature. After you have killed everyone, maxed everything and done everything there really is not much to do and you are forced to start a new character. Instead with newgame+ you could repeat the game in a harder mode, possibly with harder and more missions as much as you like. Especially with how lifeless stuff could become if too many people died (that rouge Minotaur you forgot near a settlement or the guard who decided to kill everyone in a town who liked you). The number of times I found myself performing physical Necromancy using console commands in Oblivion (revive) on characters that I did not want dead is depressing.

The game series also emphasised killing other people (well people like things...) too much. That entire Black Hand assassin mission chain really should never have been added or there should have been an anti-version. It would have been ok if you had an entire quest line working for the Imperial Guard to hunt them down and destroy their organization in the name of order and justice.

The Black Hand mission was the best damn thing in Oblivion, though yes, maybe there should have been a way for you to deviate and do something different midway. However, in Skyrim, you do have the option of going against the Dark Brotherhood when they try to recruit you and instead trigger a quest to basically end them.

Level 15
I played Skyrim and get really bored. I only got 20-30 FPS using really low setting + super low custom ini. So that make me can't enjoy the view. That me me crazy especially when I watch good mod on Youtube. So I downloaded Oblivion. Its really funny at first, but really boring. The world is too empty, and I can jump on water lol. So I spent last 3 hours in a tavern and played with console command.
I really want to apply many mod to Skyrim but it might be make crashes...

Level 21
After you have killed everyone, maxed everything and done everything there really is not much to do and you are forced to start a new character. Instead with newgame+ you could repeat the game in a harder mode, possibly with harder and more missions as much as you like.
Like on Borderlands?

@Idaero Ace. I modded the living hell out of my skyrim and it only crashes once in a while

Level 15
I played Skyrim and get really bored. I only got 20-30 FPS using really low setting + super low custom ini. So that make me can't enjoy the view. That me me crazy especially when I watch good mod on Youtube. So I downloaded Oblivion. Its really funny at first, but really boring. The world is too empty, and I can jump on water lol. So I spent last 3 hours in a tavern and played with console command.
I really want to apply many mod to Skyrim but it might be make crashes...

Play Morrowind. It should run fine even on older computers, and it's 10x better than Oblivion or Skyrim.

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 63
I think most people liked the game for its sandbox style. Especially Oblivion as it had features and graphics that were not common at the time. We all loved watching your opponents ragdoll around the place or dragging things around the show and watching them bounce off stuff. I doubt anyone ever considered it a good RPG, especially with how many flaws it had.

The entire invisibility concept for example. It looked super cool visually but gameplay wise was a train wreck. If you committed a crime you were still labelled as a criminal even though no one could see you. Actor's heads and eyes would follow you around the place like they know exactly where you were except they could not attack you and would stand mindlessly while you pummel them to pieces. Even if they wore gear designed to combat invisibility such as life detection they still had no clue where you were and would stand around helplessly.

Level 21
Actor's heads and eyes would follow you around the place like they know exactly where you were except they could not attack you and would stand mindlessly while you pummel them to pieces.
this

Level 5
My adventures in Skyrim has been so friggin' amazing. Words cannot express. I can just say that I really love that game, and really enjoy the setting with snow, vikings and dragons. I think it's a good thing that I started playing it for the first time some months ago, so I experienced it the first time with all the patches, hi-res textures and super high settings... as well as a lot of fantastic immersive mods. Frostfall, for example. Epic.

Level 21
My adventures in Skyrim has been so friggin' amazing. Words cannot express. I can just say that I really love that game, and really enjoy the setting with snow, vikings and dragons. I think it's a good thing that I started playing it for the first time some months ago, so I experienced it the first time with all the patches, hi-res textures and super high settings... as well as a lot of fantastic immersive mods. Frostfall, for example. Epic.
I know the feeling :)
Frostfall is awesome

Status
Not open for further replies.