• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Game based on sound (Simple concepts)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 5
I am thinking of making a short simple game about sound. This game is to help people (like me) to recognize Sine wave tones. I have this library of Sine wave tones and basically this guy (might be blind) or something and he uses sound to navigate around the world. Hearing various frequencies (or types of waveforms and sound such as white noise) might mean different things or maybe he's not blind but in other for him to deal damage he must identify the frequency when a Sine wave is played. Besides frequency, different waveforms such as sawtooth or square waves can be used to make the game more fun. Oh and also identify if pitch volume or timbre has changed but that might be hard/not possible to execute.

The concept might be totally different but I noticed that there is any game solely based on sound. It is a difficult concept and hard for a game to be fun solely with sound. But if anyone has any ideas or is interested in this do post something. Thanks :D

Hi,

I am interested in this because my professor is working with blind people and helps them train their vision and spatial navigation, upon recovering sight. Same for deaf people, but with visual stimuli. Recently we talked about a potential project that would involve sounds to 'build' a 3d environment.
Can I ask you where you have found these sounds? I would really appreciate it.

Level 5
I am studying music and audio technology currently so my lecturer gave me those sounds, I could send them to u though, somehow.

But what type of sounds do u need? Sine wave tones? Piano sounds? Other Waveforms? I'm guessing u would need various frequencies of various waveforms I only have Sine wave forms though. Try this website freesound.org there are many many different sounds there. Another way is to use a synthesizer from a daw to artificially create the sounds you want.

I am aware of that website, I've been using it quite a lot for my cinematic clips. I have asked him to see if it's anything interesting to him.

However, your idea is basically what he is doing at the moment with his research group, this is why I asked :)

I will find out more and get back to you. You should release custom sound effects for us modders, seeing what you study! ^^

Level 5
Well I'm only at my first year, but if there's anything u specifically feel free to ask me and I will try to do the sound for you. I am rather interested to try out the game so if it's possible, do let me try out your game :)

Status
Not open for further replies.