• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

[Unsolved] Random shooting and missing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 2
I have a medium amount of experience with the editor, and have been searching, following tutorials and fumbling in the dark for several days now. Now I need help.

I have given marines the battlecruiser weapon. That ATS anti-ground laser.

Now I want to make them shoot in a random pattern in the general direction of the enemies. I have been fiddling around with the mover for the missile, but with no result. I think Throw is the way to go.

My wish is to have the marines to be like - "I'll fire away in the direction of the enemy, and whatever the missile touches, it hits."

I want the marines to be a bit like stormtroopers. So the lasers need to stop at buildings, cliff edges, doodads, ground and units.
But not walls. (A certain type of structure in my original map that isn't featured in the attachment)
The projectiles that miss and fly above the targets should just keep going.

I don't know if the Throw driver is a good choice, but if I have understood things correctly, the Throw Band Pitch and Yaw is making the projectiles fly a bit more random.

My situation right now is that the projectiles won't change hight.

I'm afraid I don't really know what I'm doing when I'm fiddling with the movers. I'm a "learn-by-example" type of guy, but I can't find any examples to work with.

I don't have much experience with Behaviors and Actors either, but I'd be glad to follow a step-by-step or just look at an example.

Attachments

• Missile Attack Test.SC2Map
    18.7 KB · Views: 50
Last edited:
Level 2
Ok, so I added a buff to the missile unit. Helped a lot.
It made the missile projectiles hit random targets behind the intended target if they passed close enough.

I still can't figure out the cliff issues. Why aren't the units directing their attack upwards? It looks horrible then the missiles just climb up on the hills...

Can someone please look at my map and see what I am doing wrong? I'm sure it's just some tweak or something simple as that. I just can't figure this out on my own.

Also, the missiles keep redirecting themselves to hit the inteded target when they shouldn't. What up with that? I set the missiles movers Arrival Test Type to "Never"...

Is it possible the make units stop shooting over cliffs if they are too far away?

Thank you!

Attachments

• Screenshot2015-04-17 20_40_44.jpg
    Screenshot2015-04-17 20_40_44.jpg
    184.1 KB · Views: 98
  • Screenshot2015-04-17 20_45_16.jpg
    Screenshot2015-04-17 20_45_16.jpg
    217.9 KB · Views: 104
  • Screenshot2015-04-17 20_47_21.jpg
    Screenshot2015-04-17 20_47_21.jpg
    291.5 KB · Views: 95
  • Screenshot2015-04-17 20_47_38.jpg
    Screenshot2015-04-17 20_47_38.jpg
    264.4 KB · Views: 89
  • Missile Attack Test Buff.SC2Map
    20.7 KB · Views: 41
  • Attack.jpg
    Attack.jpg
    114.4 KB · Views: 110
Last edited:

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 63
You need a deterministic physics system. SC2 does not have one inbuilt. For performance it looks only in 2D for collisions with Z mostly being appearance only.

Most RTS games do not do what you want with the few that did being limited to small number of units only.

Level 2
Alright, I guess I'll just kill the ramps and make the projectiles die upon cliff height change then! It will have to do!
Thank you!

But what about the projectiles that hit the primary target when they shouldn't?

Level 2
HUZZAH!!!

I got the shooting working after a sleepless night and a dozen google searches and whatnot. It still needs some tweaking though. The missiles needs to die at the feet of the cliff and not glide up and die at the top. Any ideas on that?

Feel free to try out what I got so far. I'm attaching the whole project, in case someone wants to use stuff from it.
I placed some units in the center of the map and also an enemy base just below it, for time saving.

It's not finished yet. Just saying. There is a huge problem with Nydus Worms spawning on top of cliffs. Don't know what to do about that.

Basic summary of the map and the features:
- Produce units and commence the slugging-party.
- Capture and hold at least 8 Obelisks, but the more you control, the more resources you get for units and upgrades. A countdown ticks down until victory, and your Obelisks are revealed as long as your countdown is ticking.
- For the first 25 minutes, infested zerg will spawn from random Nydus Worms in groups and attack your stuff.
- There is a Colossus roaming around and helping the players to kill off the infested shit.
- Your units gain veterancy, but can also be upgraded for spare money.
- If you lose your scientist, you respawn as a mutalisk, and can still cap Obelisks, but you are reduced to more of a harassing type of player for the rest of the game. So try not to loose him. The point of this is to keep loosing players in the game, which is great at LAN-parties.

Attachments

• Bug Planet.SC2Map
    3.3 MB · Views: 95
Status
Not open for further replies.