• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

[Unsolved] Editor Graphic Bug

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 8
After I updated the editor through Bnet (It's been a while since I last opened the editor) the grid was just showing a major gitchy graphic bug... The interface is all good, but everything on the grid just looks like one big graphic crash.

I tried relaunching, restarting, reupdating, remasturbating, but it's all the same.

Is this a known issue or should I try reinstalling?

Thank you so much in advance!

Last edited:
Level 8
Edit: Updated Image

1426iwj.jpg

Last edited:
Level 8
Thanks as always for your help Dr Super Good!

Sadly neither option worked :S ... man this is kinda worrying me.

I tried to look the issue up on the internet but I haven't found anything specific for my issue.
I've found out meanwhile that it's only terrain within the editor that is glitchy. Doodas for instance look just fine.

Any other ideas on what I could do?

For now I'll keep trying different thing. Thanks again.

Level 8
I did think of that too. Sadly it didn't work :(((

I'm starting to think that maybe I didn't update my video driver right. I went in on the settings and made it search for an update but is that even reliable?

I'm starting to consider calling blizz supp line and ask for their advice. So far I still have a few things I wanna try out.

Thanks again.

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 63
I went in on the settings and made it search for an update but is that even reliable?
That is not reliable. Go to the driver manufacture website and download from there. Or if the card is OEM then go to the OEM site and download from there.

An actual screenshot of the glitch graphics is recommended. The one you posted shows video stream corruption artefacts (4*4 blocks are a give away) which are impossible in real time graphics.

Level 8
Edit: Updated Image
1426iwj.jpg

Didn't mean to make the pic this huge...
Anway, this is exactly how it looks.

I've succesfully updated my video driver through the web, nothing has changed :(((

Yes, I am able to play other games, even Starcraft itself... The problem is only apparent in the Galaxy Editor.

Last edited:

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 63
Try messing with the various render/shader options from the top menu. Also try at both minimum and maximum visual settings (can be configured in preferences).

Try turning off applications such as stream or other applications which can produce overlays in case they are conflicting.

Make sure not to start the editor with cutscene window open as that can do weird stuff to the graphics.

Make sure settings such as Anti-Aliasing and and Anisotropic Filtering are set to application control (or off if not available) in your graphic drivers. Forcing these can mess up the shaders for SC2.

Level 8
I've tried almost every possible option with the editor's graphics and compatibility settings. It seems the problem lies elsewhere.

I've made sure im not running anything else while using the edtior.

What do you mean with cutscene window?

Anti-Aliasing and Anisoptropic Filtering are both set to application controlled.

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 63
What GPU brand are you using? NVidia? AMD? Intel?

What do you mean with cutscene window?
Cutscene editor always cause glitches, but it opens a separate window that is clearly labelled so I think we can rule that out as a cause or you would not be asking.

Might be time to consider making a post on SC2 technical support forum on BattleNet.

Level 8
Yeah, contacting blizz seems like the last option now.

I'm using intel.

Just finished contacting blizz.

So the GM said they don't really know much about the editor -they use forums for that.
I tried to push it and asking him to reach someone within his network that might know more. But the answer remained the same.

Seems like forum advice is the only way to go... I really hope I don't have to wait and pray for the next update to fix it by istelf. Cause right now, I'm running out of ideas :(

Last edited by a moderator:

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 63
Most likely a driver issue. Intel is notoriously bad for non-compliant drivers. For example the developers of the Dolphin Nintendo Gamecube/Wii emulator have had to put a lot of special case exceptions in their shader code for Intel drivers to avoid the non-compliant behaviour.

Try forcing the editor to open in XP SP3 compatibility mode. This should expose only DirectX 9 to it which might be more compatible than DirectX 10 on your GPU.

If you are using Vista, Windows 7, 8 or 10 then try disabling or altering desktop acceleration settings. This are GPU accelerated so might conflict with SC2E.

Try altering the shader settings. Lower shader settings should be more compatible.

I have had similar problems with the main window not updating after 3.0 update but they only occur if I constantly swap to SC2 application while using the editor and often fixes itself after a while.

Level 8
I did all the things you described. Took me a while to find the acceleration, but I found it.
I tried this in both 32 and 64bit.

I don't know what to say. It's really amazing how much you're helping me out. I'm so sad to dissapoint you every time. Nothing has worked out so far... Could it be I'm doing something wrong? I wouldn't mind going teamviewer for someone else to try and look into it.

Hmm, do you know when the next update will be? If I'm lucky it will fix itself by then... But I have a feeling that it might be too hopress to think that.

Level 8
A quick update. I've finally gotten off my lazy ass and made a thread on the blizz's tech support forum.

I just came across this text document called EditorVariables.txt and I noticed some texture, terrain and graphic settings that was changable.
Before I crash my game, is there anything recommended to try and change, or should I keep my hands off?

I casually added a new picture that shows more clearly that it's just the terrain on the grid that's messed up.
1426iwj.jpg

Last edited:

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 63
There should be no way to mess up the settings. If you do you can always delete the file and it will be reconstructed next time the editor is started.

Try messing out with these settings...
TerrainTextureHiResCacheSize=8
TerrainTextureLowResCacheSize=50
TerrainTextureSize=768
Lowering the Hi and Low Res caches might fix it. Using smaller Terrain Texture Size might also.

Status
Not open for further replies.