• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Taking Item Suggestions!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 9
Box and I just want to hear what you guys come up with for new items. Keep the items pretty basic, and if we like the idea we might possibly add it!! If not then @#$! you!! kidding! ^.^

Jumbo

Hosted Project GR
Level 19
My suggestion for Overdimensioned blade still stands :D. Personally I think it could be fun without being unbalanced seeing as it provides nothing but slow and high raw damage - crap compared to good blue items.

Level 3
Hands of Salvation

Accessory
Type: Leather
HP: +20
MP: +35
Ar: +7
Sp: +12
Int: + 10
AllR: + 5%

Last edited:
Level 7
Let me just say... I REALLY like my Bard sword x]. I won't reveal what it is yet, but it's going to fun :D.

Also I think Ihaz did something similar to that sword suggestion. Though we're trying to stay away from single word names for items and try to save those for red's from D4.

Druid accessory is a little bit tricky since we didn't get one in 1.2 to really base the stats off of. I'll probably go with something similar to those suggested stats though!

Level 2
with the icy content coming up, why not have some water element items.

Ice Shard
Weapon
Type: Dagger
MP: +25
AP: +26
AGI: +15
STR: +10
CR: +5%
Water Dmg: 50, 35%

Water Droplet
Accesory
Type: Amulett
MP: +50
Ar: +6
AGI: 6
Ev: +3%
Water Dmg: 10, 85%

SHBlade

Hosted Project GR
Level 14
Devourer Of Frost
Weapon
Type: Two-Handed Weapon
AP: +50
Str: +10
Agi: +10
Crit: +8%
WR: +15%
ASPD: -10%
Splash: 50% / 70

Dunno if it isn't too op, u can nerf the stats a bit if needed (this is axe btw).

Level 3
Vermillion Garnet

Misc
Type: Gem
HP: +40
Ar: +5
Sp: +12
Hst: +6%

Dark Onyx

Misc
Type: Gem
MP: +65
Sp: +8
Int: +10
Agi: +9
SR: +7%

Shrinked Giant Head

Misc
Type: Trophy
HP: +70
Str: +12
Agi: +5
ArP: +8
Cr: +5%

Ancestral Menhir

Misc
Type: Relic
HP: +50
Ar: +10
Agi: +12
Sp: +9
Ev: +5%

Last edited:
Level 7
with the icy content coming up, why not have some water element items.

Ice Shard
Weapon
Type: Dagger
AP: +26
AGI: +15
STR: +10
CR: +5%
Water Dmg: 50, 35%

Water Droplet
Accesory
Type: Amulett
MP: +50
AGI: 6
Ev: +3%
Water Dmg: 10, 85%

I decided to use the Ice Shard idea as an assassin off-hand since I had completed the weapons by the time I saw this :p. Tweaked its stats to fit in with the stats of off-hands though obviously.

Also on a related note, each class will have one miscellaneous item that has to do with Snow/ice/frost.

Level 7
I just can't believe how ridicolously overpowered a lot of those suggestions in this thread are. What's with your common sense?

The new blues are not meant to have double or triple the stats of the existing 1.2A items!

Most of the items we have made have been 2-3 stat points higher in the categories, as this correlates to a 25-30% increase in most cases. In the cases where an item got something a bit larger something else was removed from it to correlate.

So if we gave an item +5 agility and +3 AP more than its previous corresponding blue, we made sure to remove any crit it gave.

I think the only issues Im finding at the moment is Im unsure how much elemental damage on procs should be given with the corresponding stat boosts to the items. If I gave an item a ~25% boost then I tried not to give it a Proc. If I gave it a proc I made sure not to boost its stats by very much.

We've also came up with somewhat of a system that should hopefully reduce cookie-cutter gear set ups. I won't reveal what specific trade offs we're making but hopefully it should result in some serious sacrifices if you'd like to maximize your crit build for example.

One more thing. You said you want one blue to be specifically worse than the other? This has been.. Somewhat difficult as a 25% increase to items in most cases is only 3-4 points as I've said. I've not seen much purpose in trying to make gear thats 1-2 points better than what we have already so I hope what we've come up with is a good alternative. It seemed pointless to make a haste build robe and then make another haste build robe that is slightly better than the first one created.

Jumbo

Hosted Project GR
Level 19
People just want their names on good items. "I came up with that". I'm the opposite. I wanna have my name on the crap greens! Why? Because they are more fun and its not as pretentious to come up with bad gear.

Anyway you seem to ignore my sword. Any specific reason ? I'm asking since you reply to all other ideas.

Level 7
Ihaz is will be doing all the swords, and we'll be doing green items last. For now we're just trying to finish up the blue items and then we'll work on the greens. He may use it, though I don't know what overdimensional means :p.

Though our current idea for the greens is to make them slightly worse than our current blues. So really I think to make that sword you may see it just having 52 AP with a normal -10% attack speed as that'd be slightly worse than Merciless Bludgeon is currently.

Jumbo

Hosted Project GR
Level 19
Overdimensioned*. It means its out of proportion. Its too big to be handy and therefore not very useful, but can still deal heavy (and slow) damage. Otherwise you could just call it "Oversized Sword" or "Sword of the Giant".

Level 7
Ooh I see. That makes sense :p. Honestly it'd be very easy to make that sword so Im guessing he'll do something like that.

Level 2
thanks for considering my idea, i know i did too much about the 35% 50 water damage right there... I always love the elemental addition on equipments because it adds cool orbs to the character.

is it possible to have multiple element damage in one weapon or equipment? for example something like all fire lightning and water damage for monk's weapon?

You can basicly directly translate an elemental procc into raw AP by multiplying the factor with the damage dealt (25% chance to deal 12 damage = 3 AP).

Other than that, remember that the "slightly worse" item must not have the same stats at all. You can also just create a sidegrade item (for example, substitute some crit for haste or the other way round) with a slightly lower stat sum.

Don't take that 25% stronger all too seriously. If it's a little bit stronger than that, I think nobody is going to complain. In the end it's only about keeping the gear progression at a reasonable scale. There's a lot more of level 50 content to come over the next year, so we need some headroom for gear progression.

Think of the gear progression like with the tier gear on WoW. Between each "tier" of quality, there was like a total increase of stats of roughly 25-30% compared to the previous tier dungeon loot.

Level 3
Is it right that there isnt any "Rod" or "Cloak" in game? Perhaps we can use that for more variety...

And if you want to avoid "overpowering tendencies" threads like this one should not be opened. Not everybody knows the tier gear progression of WoW.

Level 7
Alright. Everything we've created so far should fit that criteria for progression. Also we've generally been trying to fix the crit situation also. Most gear that gives crit chance now gives quite a bit less total AP or SP than other gear. So hopefully no more Mask of Betrayal issues where it gave massive total AP and decent crit :p.

Level 9
I mainly wanted to open this thread just to get inspiration for when/if I get stuck, so far I have not been out of idea, box and I have been thinking of items for a long time now. ^.^

Yeah I'm actually pretty convinced that it was a good decision to get your help on this. Seems like you've put a lot of thought into the balancing, which definitely is a good thing.

Tell me when you are done with all the equipment items. I can probably give you other tasks after that (showing you how recipes work, etc. ... it's pretty much the same workflow, just some different scripts)

Btw, just to give an update what I'm doing right now:
I've finished creating a new texture format for hero skins. Already applied it to the Squire model in my testing games.
I don't know how much time I got this week, but since I can use the same workflow on all the other models aswell, I can probably implement the texture switching process into the next release already (depends a lot on my rusted photoshop skills, though).

One texture containing both male and female armor texture variations at reasonable quality takes up roughly 25kb in my recent tests. Considering a normal attachment model of an armor is only 5kb in size, I think this approach can not be used as a pure replacement for armor attachment models.
So to reduce the number of required textures, Squires will share the same textures as clerics and mages get and instead get the armor attachment model added on top of it.
Cloth and Leather wearers will only get shoulder pads and the capes/cloaks added via attachment models, whereas the armor skin will be completely texture based in the future. This is because I always felt that the leather armors clipped ugly through the ranger and thief model.

Last edited:
Level 5
Is it possible to introduce item effects that allows the user to slow the attack speed or even reducing the attack power of the attacked unit. Or let items have an active, for example "deal 300 spell damage to a target".

Is it possible to introduce item effects that allows the user to slow the attack speed or even reducing the attack power of the attacked unit. Or let items have an active, for example "deal 300 spell damage to a target".
All this is possible, though active or special effects should be limited to legendary items or item sets.

Level 7
All this is possible, though active or special effects should be limited to legendary items or item sets.

Yeah none of the items we've created have anything "special" really. I had ideas for thorns armor or procs to reduce damage on tank armors, procs to stun attackers for short periods on leather armor. Im sure we could come up with something specific for cloth armors but I'd not thought of something too fitting for them yet xD.

But yeah that kind of stuff shall be saved for D4, as I think it'd be boring if the only items in d4 gave just simply better stats than our current gear :p.

Level 2
Querzalcoatl
Armor
Type: Helm
MP: +30
AP: +35
STR: +20
MR: +0.5
Attack Speed: +7%
Special: DoT deals their damage over half the duration.

Stats can be tweaked as you see fit, not sure if the special is possible.

Jumbo

Hosted Project GR
Level 19
I thought about two things regarding Box' and Ihaz' item creation: If they have spare time perhaps they could
1. The obvious: create extra items using new recipes with new material requirements, not previously used for this and this class, thereby resulting in more item diversity and more overall versatility of materials.

2. Create scrap material items dropping almost 100% from a fitting enemy (metal based monster - like the goblin shredder for instance.) The feature setting this material apart from other materials is the fact that it stacks to 100. This means that you can farm a specific mob type to, with almost 100% certainty, get a material from every mob killed. This should not replace the present low rate material drops, but merely add a new way to farm: a way where time is more of a factor than luck is (the opposite of the current system). This material should have its own seperate recipes apart from other materials' recipes.

These suggestions are purely optional "spicing" of the game and are, like I said from the start, only meaningful if you have extra time guys :).

Level 9
Good news everyone!! All items are working fine and Box and I are pleased with the balancing, still just need to make greens but... the blues work and seem balanced... er well... they're just working as we intended at the roles we made the items for!

Level 10
What I absolutely love about Gaias so much is how it's so much more than a wc3 map it's an entire community and more like a MOD. Zwiebel created this amazing map but he constantly brings his dedicated fans into his production making it feel so much more personal whether it be with balancing, suggestions, or even allowing them to actually work on the map with tooltips and item creations.

Grats on making all the items ihaz/box I'm sure they will be great and the balancing will be as well. You guys put a lot of effort into it. And thanks to Zwiebel for making all this happen and keeping me excited for 1.2b even after all these years :]

You say that as if outsourcing the item making is a generous gift. ;)
Seriously, it's a pain in the ass to create items and what Ihaz and Box are doing is more of slave's work than it is a funny task...

If I could, I would give away even more tasks to the community, but aside from item making, there's not much that doesn't require JASS knowledge.

Maybe except for setting up the droptables. But that's usually just a matter of a few minutes, so it's not worth the trouble.

Level 4
I thought about two things regarding Box' and Ihaz' item creation: If they have spare time perhaps they could
1. The obvious: create extra items using new recipes with new material requirements, not previously used for this and this class, thereby resulting in more item diversity and more overall versatility of materials.

2. Create scrap material items dropping almost 100% from a fitting enemy (metal based monster - like the goblin shredder for instance.) The feature setting this material apart from other materials is the fact that it stacks to 100. This means that you can farm a specific mob type to, with almost 100% certainty, get a material from every mob killed. This should not replace the present low rate material drops, but merely add a new way to farm: a way where time is more of a factor than luck is (the opposite of the current system). This material should have its own seperate recipes apart from other materials' recipes.

These suggestions are purely optional "spicing" of the game and are, like I said from the start, only meaningful if you have extra time guys :).

I like this idea.

Ihaz and Box do you still want suggestions for items ?.. And if yes are special abilities possible?

Level 9
we only have green items left so.. we dont really neef suggstions, also the special abilities yes they are possible, but we'd like to save the abilities for D4 red items if we get a chance to continue the item creation

Status
Not open for further replies.