• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

[Suggestion] boss fight recap/summary

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 6
would be nice to know what each unit did for a whole bossfight
stuff like:
total dmg dealt to boss per unit
total dmg dealt to summons per unit
total heal per unit
items that dropped

im sure it's not that hard to code

wont be necessarily forced to display this, so u can add a command instead to display like -recap

Jumbo

Hosted Project GR
Level 19
In one way, I think this is fine. But something tells me that it will be abused by some players to ruin the cozyness of the game with comments like "omg so little dps!" and "wow your healing sucks" even if there was no wipe and things went fine. Also I don't like chat commands as they flood the chat and Zwie is already keeping them at a minimum. That said, I can see why this would be useful for teams. Especially when they have just respecced and want to check their new 'powers'. Finally, I hate when these games turns into pure math "we need 604.6 dps to do X boss we need 697,49 dps to do Y boss." Rather, its up to the judging of player skill, items, spec, level, and equipped spells and this seems more natural to me.

Level 9
I think it would be fine for personal use, in the sense that you only see your total damage done/total damage healed for that fight, or over the course of a minute or so

Level 7
Im sure it could fit into the box under the Aggro meter and DPS calculator. It'd just show you the value for total damage dealt or healed after finishing combat with an enemy.

Though I think Jumbo is right about how players would end up using this information. I'd really not like Gaias to end up like other games where if you're not playing it in the meta fashion, then you get dumped off pretty quickly.

I never really understood the purpose of a "heal meter" in WoW. Isn't the purpose of a healer in groups to not let the group die? If you manage to keep your group alive until the end of the fight, didn't you succeed? I know why there's the need for a damage meter, simply because it helps optimizing rotations. But healing is situational. You can't "overperform" as a healer. Either your group stays alive or your group dies. There's hardly a middle ground.

I already implemented a DPS meter and a buff/debuff monitor. Let's not litter the UI with even more junk.

Level 10
It's basically for internet points to brag on how much you can heal compared to other healers. I for one would love to brag on my druid, but then I realized I do that regardless.

Level 6
for the dmg, the dps meter says it all, but it disappears after a fight. it counts dmg dealt to summons and it counts dmg from your pets, which i like to keep separate as i suggested.

Level 25
I never really understood the purpose of a "heal meter" in WoW. Isn't the purpose of a healer in groups to not let the group die? If you manage to keep your group alive until the end of the fight, didn't you succeed? I know why there's the need for a damage meter, simply because it helps optimizing rotations. But healing is situational. You can't "overperform" as a healer. Either your group stays alive or your group dies. There's hardly a middle ground.

I already implemented a DPS meter and a buff/debuff monitor. Let's not litter the UI with even more junk.
You can overheal if you heal one guy too much and a different guy dies, pretty sure also that if you heal a unit more than that guy deals dps, the monsters will aggro towards you. So it's useful to keep watch of your healing to make sure you don't get your head whacked in.

Level 3
I have found addons like recount and skada to be amongst the most useful in WoW, because they just yielded about one metric fuckton of information. I doubt that this could be properly done in WC3 to that extent. A great benefit, from a DPS perspective, was the comparison between myself and another player of the same class, and the comparison of the DPS distribution of our skills. This would not fit into the map at all, there are no 40 or 25 man raids here.

About not wanting math in the game:
Finally, I hate when these games turns into pure math "we need 604.6 dps to do X boss we need 697,49 dps to do Y boss." Rather, its up to the judging of player skill, items, spec, level, and equipped spells and this seems more natural to me.

Any boss with an enrage timer and an HP bar has an easily calculated minimum dps required, you can't change that. Any boss with no enrage timer has an estimate of minimum dps required because healers have limited mana.

To me, a great portion of player skill has always been their ability to be somewhat familiar with the math behind their character class to allow them to understand their items, spec and equipped spells. "Ima stack crit cuz i like crit" is OK if it gets you through the content, and I am usually not opposed to fun builds, even if they are not the optimal build. I understand that many people want to play with fun builds and actually have fun in a game, but to me, this fun is not derived from critting a lot or having ridicuous haste values.
What I enjoy most about RPGs is the fact that I can optimize my character, and to do this I would need said math. Not to flame people for not reaching a certain DPS threshold, but to better understand what mistakes I make and how I can improve.

I think you can't base a game on math and then ignore it completely.

Overheal lets you get some information on your performance, so does the comparison to other healers, and if the next boss is harder than the one you were able to kill, you should evaluate your healing performance, even if everybody lived. Being able to heal everyone through a fight doesn't mean that your performance was beyond any criticism, maybe the tank was just overgeared or the dps was irregularly high. You're not the king of the world if your 40 man raid managed to kill hogger, and you're not the best player you can be if you managed to kill onyxia with three lvl 60 guys (even though it is pretty impressive, I am pretty sure one of them made a mistake somewhere, they were at it for over 5 hours I think). It would be good to know which skills outperformed others, and if other healers have the same result. But, to come back to the topic of an encounter recap, this would be best discussed in a class/role specific thread, not with a demo version of recount. In general, recount is pointless without comparing it to other people, but, given the difference in complexity of the games, the comparison in gaias can be done without recount.

Status
Not open for further replies.