• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

A few quick questions

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 2
Hey there. Tried to find my answers on this forum, but couldn't. So here I go:

1) When do the mercenaries use their 2nd spell ? I primarily use Tarosh, and I haven't seen him use Nature's Blessing so far. My Cleric is at level 16.

2) Why do we not mention level requirements for items ? It's sad to purchase items and then see that we can't equip them.

3) How does armor work ? I understand that it is a reduction of damage based on the armor points. But then again I see a "percentage" text on the armor's description. So where does the percentage kick in ?

Thanks much!

Level 9
percentage does never kick in, when you try to equip an item, thats when it'll tell you what level it requries (just stick it in your backpack) and Torash will use nature's belssing when you or an ally is below 30% hp

Level 3
The armor percentage is always at 0% in the tooltip if I recall correctly, so its not relevant if it always applies or never applies. The only relevant mechanic would be the point based system.

Is there a reason to not mention the level requirement of items until after they are bought? It does suck to buy an item and having to keep it in the backpack because there's no in-game indicator.

Level 7
If the percentage you're referring to is on the shields block 20%, that means when you equip a shield (only squire class can do this) all incoming damage is reduced by 20%. I believe this calculation comes in AFTER armor reductions.

So if you have 10 armor, and an enemy has 20 attack, you take 10 damage. If you equip a shield you'd take 8 damage.

If the percentage you're referring to is on the shields block 20%, that means when you equip a shield (only squire class can do this) all incoming damage is reduced by 20%. I believe this calculation comes in AFTER armor reductions.

So if you have 10 armor, and an enemy has 20 attack, you take 10 damage. If you equip a shield you'd take 8 damage.
All percentage modifiers get applied before armor, except for the PVP damage reduction.

So the total damage received formula looks like this:

attackpower x 0.8 (shield bonus) - (armor-ArP)* = received damage**

*armor-ArP can not be negative number.
**if received damage is lower than ArP, use ArP for damage dealt instead.

So in this case, it would be (considering not ArP):
20damage*0.8(shield bonus) = 16damage
16 damage - 10armor = 6 damage

There's also a condition to the shield block reduction: the enemy must be in front of you for the reduction to work (a 180 degrees semi-circle).

Level 2
A few more issues. I am sorry for writing them all here, and not in their proper categories, but alas, it is more convenient. I have recently started playing Gaias again, after 2 years or so.

1) Again, mentioning a required level for an item, before purchasing it from an NPC, would be very helpful. Just as an example, I have spent hours and hours (probably 20+ plus) to gather about 1600 coins, and I've spent 900 on an item that apparently requires Level 24 or 26, when I was level 16. Someone suggested to keep it in my backpack. The backpack is very limited in space. I sometimes get it full with dropped items, which I go to a town to sell. If I would have to keep permanent items there, it would reduce my effectiveness.

2) As a Cleric, I was able to start the "Catch'em all" quest (the boars and traps), even though I can't buy the trap. Only rangers can. So I'm stuck with that quest in my log, and can never do it.

3) You could increase the experience gain by probably 10 or 15%. Not sure about how this would affect your balancing, or overall playability of the map. I am stating this purely from a "single player" perspective. I play alone, using lan (in single player, the multiboard gets broken).

Thanks Zwiebelchen for the detailed armor formula clarification.

Level 7
A few more issues. I am sorry for writing them all here, and not in their proper categories, but alas, it is more convenient. I have recently started playing Gaias again, after 2 years or so.

1) Again, mentioning a required level for an item, before purchasing it from an NPC, would be very helpful. Just as an example, I have spent hours and hours (probably 20+ plus) to gather about 1600 coins, and I've spent 900 on an item that apparently requires Level 24 or 26, when I was level 16. Someone suggested to keep it in my backpack. The backpack is very limited in space. I sometimes get it full with dropped items, which I go to a town to sell. If I would have to keep permanent items there, it would reduce my effectiveness.

2) As a Cleric, I was able to start the "Catch'em all" quest (the boars and traps), even though I can't buy the trap. Only rangers can. So I'm stuck with that quest in my log, and can never do it.

3) You could increase the experience gain by probably 10 or 15%. Not sure about how this would affect your balancing, or overall playability of the map. I am stating this purely from a "single player" perspective. I play alone, using lan (in single player, the multiboard gets broken).

1) Part of the problem is limited space in the tooltip section.. Adding another line for required level becomes extremely redundant at a higher level. I think a better result would be a bit better guide in realize the stuff south of the trade route is our actual current end-game stuff.

2) This quest is currently bugged and will be fixed in the next version. Theres also a bug with the squire specific quest for classing up where it doesn't allow you to pick up an item.

3) Before 1.2 experience was extremely fast to get. Zwieb changed this to make leveling take quite a bit longer so that you have more time to get a bit more gold for skills by the time you class up. It also helps prolong the game a bit and helps players learn how to play the game a bit better even if they're being power trained.

Overall though the map isn't really intended to be solo'd. Its meant to be possible but you're not likely to get the best experiences from it. If you had access to group play I think it'd be easier to understand why some things are the way they are :p.

In addition to what Box said:
Instead of keeping the item in your inventory, you can just load an earlier save before buying that particular item. That way you get your money back and don't pollute your inventory with a useless item.

Level 2
Also, is there ANY way to kill the last boss in the 1st dungeon ? (thief one), with just my Monk ?. It's the L10 Mage that has that one hit spell.

I tried it with a squire (the bash interrupt ), but didn't work.

Level 9
Well at some point you are capable of actually tanking the hit, but otherwise you just need someone to stun the fire strike. Seriously try finding a group on the bots, I got this exact same account on garena and battle.net U.S West, so you can Pm me if im on

Level 2
To be honest, If War3 would record playing hours over the last 6 or 7 years, I would probably have over 6 months of gametime. And yet, I have not played online once. I have played many other mmos, but never War3 :) Don't ask me why. I guess I enjoy this game better, offline. Lots of single player rpg maps. Which are the only ones I play.

Status
Not open for further replies.