• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Vote to reinstate mini-moderators!

Should we reinstate mini-Moderators

• Yes

Votes: 39 69.6%
  • No

Votes: 17 30.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 8
This is a thread is simply to vote on rather we people think we should restate mini-moderators or not.

if you don't think its a good idea vote no if you do vote yes.

Comment as you like but please no debating or arguing just simply be like "I voted yes becuase" or "I voted no becuase." None of this "your wrong blablabla"

definition of a mini-mod "a mini-moderator is an assistant to a normal any moderator who takes some responsibilities of a moderator. They report to a mod and always asks the mods for final decision making" ~as stated by THE_END

Level 31
I support the reinstate of this status not because of the icon, I hate troll icon anyway.

The main reason why I support this move is because removing the icon of mini-moderator and blend this mini-mod authority with other user make other user (Especially new user) doesn't know if the person who post a comment/opinion/review about their resources could be responsible to ease the staff in resources management.

They often accuse them as downgraded their resources for no valid reason, but if they do notice those who view it was official reviewer. They would likely understand about it.

Level 14
Oh please God no. Their removal was quite possibly the most intelligent thing ever done. Anyone who says that it "eases the moderators" is incorrect because right now the intelligent users who leave good feedback will still be able to do the same thing. Additionally, this makes it so all users can partake of that and give solid feedback. People might say "But not everyone does that!" and so the mods can ignore the few that don't; what's the big deal? As it stands now, everyone has access to the power, and its success so far (on the majority of cases) speaks to me that the rank was indeed unnecessary. There's no stealth involved because everyone can do it, you don't need a title, you don't need an icon, you need only comment and give reviews in the resource sections. That's it.

Please, for the love of God, keep this rank a bad memory.

Level 35
I personally support the idea, but only temporarly, until we fill the missing moderators in the maps section. As pointed out before, promoting mini-mods would not only help sort out the more tallented users, but would also ease the work of moderators aswell. They provide reviews that can actually be trusted, unlike comments made by regular users whitout privilages. If you're a mod, you won't rely on comments, no matter how "intelligent" they are, because... well, let's face it: Regular users are often ignored by the moderators.

It would also give a motivation to regular users. They'll get better in modding, because they are motivated by something else than reputation (which is hardly taken seriously lately), they know that if they skilled they have a good chance of getting promoted.

However, mini-mods will also have to accept the fact that not all of them will be promoted to moderators, as that is only a selection process and shouldn't whine if they get demoted.

I don't really know why I ranted that much, this thread won't bring back the mini-mods anyway.

Oh please God no. Their removal was quite possibly the most intelligent thing ever done. Anyone who says that it "eases the moderators" is incorrect because right now the intelligent users who leave good feedback will still be able to do the same thing. Additionally, this makes it so all users can partake of that and give solid feedback. People might say "But not everyone does that!" and so the mods can ignore the few that don't; what's the big deal?
When you have three pages of pending models to go through, searching through all of the comments is the last thing you want to do.
As it stands now, everyone has access to the power, and its success so far (on the majority of cases) speaks to me that the rank was indeed unnecessary. There's no stealth involved because everyone can do it, you don't need a title, you don't need an icon, you need only comment and give reviews in the resource sections. That's it.

Last time I checked normal users couldn't access the minimod buttons. At least not in the models section. I know it was like this a month or two ago, but since then this power has mysteriously vanished.

Level 17
Not everyone will utilize this power without a reason to. The pending map section is so crowded there isn't much reason to. Most reviews won't even be read. Where if the user has the power and title of a moderator, they can help to solve the problem. Without real moderation of the map section, there isn't much mini-moderators would be able to accomplish.

Oh please God no. Their removal was quite possibly the most intelligent thing ever done. Anyone who says that it "eases the moderators" is incorrect because right now the intelligent users who leave good feedback will still be able to do the same thing. Additionally, this makes it so all users can partake of that and give solid feedback. People might say "But not everyone does that!" and so the mods can ignore the few that don't; what's the big deal? As it stands now, everyone has access to the power, and its success so far (on the majority of cases) speaks to me that the rank was indeed unnecessary. There's no stealth involved because everyone can do it, you don't need a title, you don't need an icon, you need only comment and give reviews in the resource sections. That's it.

Please, for the love of God, keep this rank a bad memory.
Either completely remove it or give it official title.Because even if they've been removed I still saw some user's review saying 'Mini-mod vote: rejected' or 'Mini-mod vote: approved'
It's a bit confusing.
Or they haven't been removed?
Oh...you see I'm not even sure if they're been removed or not.

Level 12
When you have three pages of pending models to go through, searching through all of the comments is the last thing you want to do.

I'm not sure as to what powers "mini-mods" possess, but I think having the word moderator in their name gives off the wrong impression.

And how many models does that encompass?

I'm not sure as to what powers "mini-mods" possess, but I think having the word moderator in their name gives off the wrong impression.

And how many models does that encompass?

20 per page.

Plus, with minimods, we can see the reviews right in a little box on the moderation page.

Capture.jpg

Level 14
Pyritie said:
If you spend more than 5 minutes per model (including scanning reviews - a notion that takes less than a minute for anyone that can read) anyways, you're wasting time. We've had this discussion before, it's not hard to look over reviews, use them as a guide if they sound decent, and then make a decision from there.
Pyritie said:
Last time I checked normal users couldn't access the minimod buttons. At least not in the models section. I know it was like this a month or two ago, but since then this power has mysteriously vanished.
Then that is a bug and should be reported to Ralle.
Callahan said:
Or they haven't been removed?
The rank has been removed, the powers associated with the rank are now (or should be, and at the very least were) available to regular users. So unless every user on the website deserves to get a Staff Title, none of them will.

Rui

Rui

Level 41
I vote yes to the reinstatement of mini-moderators.
The mini-moderators might not have a big effect technically, but they are appointed by the staff and that reason is enough to keep them. The mini-moderator comment is not a place where you can post a whole review, but within that comment the mini-moderator can mention the number of his post, so that the moderator can easily locate those messages on resources with a lot of comments.Making the mini-moderation engine available to everyone is not beneficiary at all. Some weeks ago I ran across a map with 10 votes for approval, but none of those votes belonged to people I previously appointed to mini-moderators, individuals I know I can trust. The conclusion, those 10 votes were as good as having none, and they serve only for pilling up the moderation panel.
Summarizing, either reinstate the mini-moderators, or remove the voting system altogether.

EDIT: I know Ralle didn't remove the system because of the work it took, but if it is useless, it is useless.

Level 14
Linaze said:
Like Rui said, either reinstate the mini mods, or remove the voting system.
Funny, that same argument could be used to remove the users' capacity to rate stuff at all from 1 to 5. If you remove the voting, may as well remove rating as it's fundamentally the same thing, just a number instead of words. The ability for anyone to use the mini-moderator powers makes perfect sense in that regard.

I don't particularly feel like picking apart anyone's arguments, but the rank is useless and reinstating them will do nothing to help anything.

Last edited:

Rui

Rui

Level 41
Apparently you guys skipped my post, or did not understand it. Minimods are, like I said, technically not very effective, but have you thought that I can, by that mean, monitor their work? Having them in a group that allows a vote for approval or rejection sounds pretty useless, but since Ralle is not going to remove the system, we could as well make good use of it.

Like it or not, I am not going to designate new moderators until I am sure I can trust their decent work and their activity.

Level 14
Or, you know, the person could just provide useful reviews across the board and prove himself normally. Having a "testing" rank is superfluous.

Level 12
I think mini-mods are actually counterproductive towards the normal approach to finding a good moderator because it limits the pool of users who could be promoted due to tunneled vision.

Level 17
Psh, it's just an inherited use from the parent regular user group.
It seems you have mistaken Void as Brad (just as I have, when reading their posts). Damn Void and his new avatar :)

On the subject of mini-mods, I can agree with dusk that they aren't going to help the site at all. Anyone can write a review for any reason (although, admittedly, mini-mods would have more incentive to do so). People shouldn't be aware that they are being "tested", or else they will try to have a temporary perfected image until they are appointed as a moderator.

Level 12
It seems you have mistaken Void as Brad (just as I have, when reading their posts). Damn Void and his new avatar :)

On the subject of mini-mods, I can agree with dusk that they aren't going to help the site at all. Anyone can write a review for any reason (although, admittedly, mini-mods would have more incentive to do so). People shouldn't be aware that they are being "tested", or else they will try to have a temporary perfected image until they are appointed as a moderator.

Exactly.

Also, that used to be Brad's avatar. I recognize the "songs for the dead" part. It's a direct copy of his last icon, that's why it keeps throwing me off.

Level 8
Think of it this way say rui recruited 2 or 3 mini mods just for the map section. By recruiting them im 100% sure he would trust them. So they get to work giving the mini-mod approve sign and such then send the results back to rui which he would then easly just read the review the mini-mod gave then approve the map without him physically have to test each one himself thereby taking some of the burden off his shoulders. But this is what I just think based on what i read so far in this thread :\

p.s thank you all for voting!

Status
Not open for further replies.