• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

The Darkening Wars 2.0

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 9
Hello! If you've played my map The Darkening Wars already, then you'll understand the relevant information I'm about to say. If not, go out and play it right now! It's a link in my signature, or find it here: The Darkening Wars

What this topic is about: The Darkening Wars 2.0

Why 2.0? Currently, I do small patches every few days, improving the game regularly. As this number builds up, I will inevitably reach 2.0. To commemorate that event, I will create a 3rd race. Here's where you guys come in. I'll try to keep the restrictions low so you can be creative about what the 3rd race will be.

Restrictions:
-3rd race should be relevant to post-apocalyptic/post-Cold War 2 type era
-3rd race should be somewhat realistic (aka, no space orcs, no dinosaur men)
-Details about 3rd race should be said: How they get resources, how they fight, how they build, etc... Elaborate as much as you can.
-3rd race should have a back story of some kind to explain their emergence

The best ideas will be compiled together and a new race will be made. Credits will be given to ideas I use.

Level 10
Exploration Humans

Exploration Humans

Background: The Exploration Humans broke off the normal Human force because they were experimenting with illegal and/or unkown materials. They want to take revenge on the Humans for creating the aliens. The aliens are always unwanted in their eyes, so they also fight desperatly against them. In these times however, the Exploration force has been forced at war against the Humans because their governement has been forced to attack the Human force by the corps.
Basic Summary: The Exploration Humans have better achitechs, mechanics, structure; vehicle and unit designs, and are trained more as special troops, different then normal Human forces. Since all units are trained as special troops, they have a wide variety of abilities, most, if not all different from the normal Human force. Unfortunatly, with more defensive armour, the vehicles and armoured suits move slower, and in some cases, armour suits are unable to carry long ranged guns. They also have genious ways of extracting reasources.

Pros:
-better overall defence and Health then Humans
-more abilities and upgrades then Humans
-more and better defensive structures then the Humans
-can recieve resourses at a faster rate then Humans
-low build times
-more mana

Neutral:
-similar basic structures (different advanced) then Humans
-no nuclear weaponry (probably a con, but its not manditiory)
-uses artillary vehicles more, and some melee units, mixed with ranged

Cons:
-less offensive then the Humans
-slightly more expensive
-slow movement rate compared to Humans
-have very few average ranged vehicles that are effective against building

I might change some things later. Depends on what happens.

Last edited:
Level 5
Apocalyptic Church

Notes: This Race is about a mix of weak mass units and few strong units. It will also be needed to research each unit before it can be built. However in when you start the game you can choose 2 basic tier 1 units which you will be able to built other wise this race would not stand a chance against early rushes.

I'm also sorry for my bad grammar and typos i may have in my text it's late and still learning English

Story:

in the year 1443 a gifted child was born. This child grow fast and showed enormous skill in what ever he dose. He was brilliant and loved by all. As the Years passed this child became arrogant. Still all men and women loved him saying that only he could be their King. The current ruler could not ignore the threat this man posed to him and his dynasty. Royal Assassins where sent out to find and kill that man. However of the 10 Assassins only 3 came back alive and those where broken unable to speak a word the collapsed in front of their King. The Man however vanished from the earth and was never seen again together with hundreds of other gifted Men and Women.

After hundreds of years passed a terrible experiment, made by the followers of the Apocalyptic Church, succeeded the Man of ages past returned to the living. But his body was rotten to nothing but dust he was transfered into a machine. This Machine is the now the center of the Church.

The Church worships this machine as their GOD and Leader Malak'tan, which means God of Gods in their own language. Through their cunning abilities they have been able to built over the last hundreds of years massive underground bases. Researching devastating machines and creating psionic beings.

Believing only that power can bring the one truth they have created a massive army of all kinds of Machines. Their army is counted to be up to hundred of millions. How ever in the final moment of the dying sun a massive EMP shock hit a large portion of the world. Disabling and destroying 95% of their Machines.

Malak'tan told his fanatics that HE has done this, that it is the final test for his church. And once their destroyed all opposing forces he will rise the sun once more and true peach will begin. Marked with this words his followers have gone into a raging madness. Knowing no friend and showing no mercy they send their machines to kill every last sign of hostile life no matter if it is a harmless animal, tree, human or a Mutant.

Buildings:

Church
This is their command center it dose only build workers and can't be upgraded.

Temple of Peace
Their basic barracks. Creates

Note of Essence
This Building uses Oil to generate Metal.

Blood Extractor
Same as the Oil rig The power of this building is influenced by the type of their main building.

Circle of Destruction
Research Building for their offensive abilities

Circle of Protection
This is a defensive hub it can create up to 4 cannons, rocket throwers or flame throwers. With each add on built the HP of the Hub increases by 150. If the hub is destroyed all his add ons are destroyed too. However if a add on is destroyed the hub looses 150 HP and begins to recreate it automatically. Once finished its hp are increased by 150 again.

Sanctuary of Ascension (limit of 3)
Creates automatically Builts the cults ascended this can either be a Mind Breaker, Machine Knight or a Techno Mage.

Cathedral of the Chosen
Once built the Church turns neutral passiv and starts to decay. This Building will be the new command center. Allowing to summon from it their next generation buildings.

Portal of the Chosen
Once built all Barracks turn neutral passiv and start to decay. This Building will train their advanced units.

Force of God. (Limit of 2)
Once built all Sanctuarys of Ascension will turn neutral passiv and start to decay. Automatically creates every 120 creates either one Psionic Mindslayer, Psionic Impostor or a Psionic devine Knight.

Apocalyptic Circle.
Once built every Circle of Destruction turns neutral passiv and starts to decay. All researches that were available in the the Circle of Destruction are available here to but this buildings finishes them 20% faster. This Building is also a tower hub.

Gods Will (limit 1)
This Building has 2 special abilities it can instantly destroy a target organic unit anywhere on the map or buffing a single friendly unit doubling their HP, damage, attack rate, move rate and Armor. However once the buff ends or is dispelled that unit dies.

Units

Tier 1 organic units (This units come in masses and are weak but cheap)

Shock Trooper (pack of 4)
Basic Footsoldier uses a weak melee attack..

Shock Templar (research will turn Troopers into Templars)
Stronger attack and slighty more Armor then the Trooper. This unit is also immune to slows.

Shock Gunner (pack of 4)
Basic ranged unit weak attack and defensive.

Shock Bomber. (Research will turn Gunners into Bombers)
Upgraded version of the Gunner a little bit stronger attack. This units are immune to slows.

Machinist (pack of 4)
Basic support unit has a weak spell to regenerate machines (restores 25 HP)

Machine Priest (research will turn Machinist into Machine Priests)
Has a Aura that increases Armor of nearby machines by 1 and has a spell to regenerate machines (restores 45 HP). Can also help to increase Building speed.

Tier 1 machine units (This units come as a pack and are cheap but weak)

Messenger (pack of 3)
Basic scout and Hit and Run unit.

Word bringer (a research will turn Messengers into Word bringers this is the last time i write this line as for all following units exept the psionic ones the same rule applies it's always the basic unit and a upgraded unit)
Has increased speed and damage. Also has the ability to mark a place with a Banner of truth. This Banner will last 35 seconds and give sight of a small area as well as increasing the moral of nearby organic units.

Carrier (pack of 2)
Basic unarmed Transporter has high armor and defense.

Subterranean Fury
Has the same armor and defense however is equipped with a light flame thrower and the ability to dig itself underground to emerge from any point in a 2000 radius.

Beast (pack of 2)
Basic attack vehicle armed with a light anti tank cannon.

Hellhound
Upgraded armor and hp. Its attack will create a flame patch upon impact dealing damage over time.

Assassin (pack of 2)
Basic anti infantry vehicle armed with a light machine gun weak armored.

Executioner
Slighty more HP. This unit can fire while moving.

Tier 2 organic units

Disciple (pack of 4)
Short range anti tank attack. This is a very fast unit.

Faith
More Armor and More damage. Very fast and immune to slow.

Knight (pack of 4)
Strong Melee attack. Fast

Paladin
More Armor and HP. Fast immune to slow. And has a skill that sends out a blinding light at one organic target causing it to miss.

Dark Walker (pack of 3)
Medium ranged unit with a strong anti infantry weapon.

Shadow Walker
Greater range and with the ability to execute a single organic unit dealing high damage to it. Can also stealth while not moving.

Tier 2 machine units (they are built one by one)

Crusader
Heavy attack Tank with a good armor and HP

Inquisitor
Heavy attack/siege Tank higher armor and damage
Spells:
incendiary bomb
- throw a bomb a targeted building creating a flame patch around the building dealing damage to all enemy units and buildings within.

Cleaner (I image this unit as a small flying disc)
Fast attack vehicle. Armed with the 3 medium machine guns this unit can fire while moving.

Purifier
Armed with 4 medium machine guns can also fire while moving.
Spells:
Burning Wall
- shoots out flames in all directions around the Purifer leaving a small burning patch that damages every unit inside.

Sky Sweeper
Heavy long range anti Air can not attack ground units.

Vanquisher
Very heavy long range anto air. Has a small machine gun to attack ground units.
Spell:
Sky Barrage
- Shoots a pack of missles in the sky dealing heavy AoE damage to that region.

Psionic Tier 1 units
(those units are immune to weather effects)

Mind Breaker
Strong anti infantry unit it has a chance of 15% to stun a attacked organic unit. Has also the Mind break ability causing a targeted unit to turn neutral hostile for 30 seconds. And the seal abilty which prevents using of any active or passive skill of a single organic enemy.

Machine Knight
Strong anti Tank melee Infantry has the ability to dodge attacks. Deal addition damage on each attack and is immune to slows and stuns. Has the active ability to paralyze a enemy with a EMP shock.

Techno Mage.
Supporting unit. Has a strong mid range attack. Increases damage of nearby infantry by 10% and armor of nearby machines by 2. (dose stack with the Machin Priests aura)

Psionic Tier 2 units
(Immune to weather effect)

Psionic Mindslayer
Very strong high range Anti Infantry and scout Unit. Is Immune to spells.

Spells:
Berserk
- turns a unit neutral hostile increasing their HP damage and attack rate by 50% for 30 seconds that unit will also use a taunt at the begging of this effect.
Mark
- Gives Vision of an enemy units within a range of 3500.
Sense the Blind
- Gives vision of every nearby enemy unit in a range of 2500 for 10 seconds.
Psi Shield
- Gives a shield to a target friendly unit that absorbes damage for each 12 points of damage absorbed the Mindslayer looses 1 mana

Psionic Impostor
Very heavy Support unit. Medium range attack. Immune to spells and detection abilities.

Spells:
Veil of Darkness
- The Imposter turns invisible and cannot be detected unless a high level abilty is used to do so (A Corpse Feeder should not be able to see this unit)

Trickery
- Creates 5 Illusion of a random enemy unit if the Illusions die the unleash a wave the burns 100 mana.

Weakening Pressence
- Decreases nearby enemies attack damage by 20% in a 550 range.

Great Show
- Once activate the Imposter can not be invisible and can no longer move until the spell is cancled or finished. The Imposter creates a mighty Aura that increases attack damage, Armor, HP and Life Regeneration of every friendly unit in a 1200 range.

Psionic divine Knight.
Very heavy melee unit. Immune to slow and stuns.

Divine Guard
- Increasing armor by 25 for 30 seconds and increasing life regeneration

Mighty strike
- each attack has a chance to deal AoE damage

Onslaught
- greatly increases move speed of the Knight and up to 5 friendly units nearby. The first attack will deal double damage.

Judgment
- The Knight will unleash several leather blows against each enemy around him stunning and damaging them.

Level 9
<<This section for Landmine>>

I like the idea for the most part. I'm assuming you mean the underlying basics of their race is on the same theme as humans (using resource structures to harvest resources) while later techs are different.

When you say more defensive, do you say for units or for the whole race in general?

Level 10
I mean that all unit and structure armour is upped. So yes, the entire race (doesn't matter by how much though).
For the most part, basic buildings would be like modified Human buildings.
Basic buildings would include:
-1st tier of the starting building
-all tiers of reasource buildings
-first few tiers of supply buildings
-first tier of primary infantry production facility
-first tier of primary vehicle production facility
-first tier of research facility
All would look similar and have similar stats (modified to the race (AKA lets say the original health and armour for the research building was 450/3, the Exploration Human research building would be 500/5 or somthing, with same model)), yet have different units that it builds, different researches/abilities and such.

Level 9
Towards Zinive:

I like the idea! Reminds me a bunch of the Space Marines, especially with the machine-kept-alive-"Emperor/King." Thanks for even putting the time to write out units n' all. But perhaps they need a 3rd tier? Just having 2 tiers seems to be rather short, especially with the possibility for extended game time for this game. I believe your idea may be a very nice base to build up on. The lore feels workable and machine priests sound awesome.

And, your English is more than understandable. Definately moreso than some native English-speakers! :D

I mean that all unit and structure armour is upped. So yes, the entire race (doesn't matter by how much though).
For the most part, basic buildings would be like modified Human buildings.
Basic buildings would include:
-1st tier of the starting building
-all tiers of reasource buildings
-first few tiers of supply buildings
-first tier of primary infantry production facility
-first tier of primary vehicle production facility
-first tier of research facility
All would look similar and have similar stats (modified to the race (AKA lets say the original health and armour for the research building was 450/3, the Exploration Human research building would be 500/5 or somthing, with same model)), yet have different units that it builds, different researches/abilities and such.

I thought of something along the lines of this, which was having "factions" instead of a 3rd race. Basically, I would "split" the original 2 races into 2 factions each, such that each faction would have certain unique units.

Would you have any particular units in mind?

Level 5
About the 3rd tier i agree with you how ever i see the upgraded versions of the tier 2 units as tier 3 units as well as the Psionic tier 2 units which are more then a match for other tier 3 units. So in the Barracks you built tier 1 units and with the proper upgrade tier 2 units. While their Portal of the Chosen builts tier 2 units and with upgrades tier 3 units. Just to clarify this each tier 2 unit has a upgrade crusader ---> Inquisitor.

Level 10
I thought of something along the lines of this, which was having "factions" instead of a 3rd race. Basically, I would "split" the original 2 races into 2 factions each, such that each faction would have certain unique units.

Would you have any particular units in mind?

Not very many in mind but a few:
>Asassin: Melee unit. Can go stealth. Has a 25% chance to get a critical hit. Uneffective against heavy vehicles.
>Scout (Medic): Has the heal ability, but no attack. In a chance of danger, the Scout has an ability to stun a targeted unit for 2 seconds, in addition to the ability to call a Bulk Tank
>Heavy Mobile Canon: Long ranged unit. Has a range of 1300 and a minimum range of 300. Has an upgrade that allows it to leave a circle of fire when it fires.
>Bulk Tank: Has a range of 700. Defence is hight, while attacks is low. Attack speed is average. Has the ability to carry 3 units at a time, and another to drop a stick with a camera on it.
All stats can be rearranged and fixed up if you wish. These are just some of the basis of what the force might look like (melee units, long ranged artillary, tanks that are used as transports...etc)

Level 9
About the 3rd tier i agree with you how ever i see the upgraded versions of the tier 2 units as tier 3 units as well as the Psionic tier 2 units which are more then a match for other tier 3 units. So in the Barracks you built tier 1 units and with the proper upgrade tier 2 units. While their Portal of the Chosen builts tier 2 units and with upgrades tier 3 units. Just to clarify this each tier 2 unit has a upgrade crusader ---> Inquisitor.

Ah, I see your point. So each tier has the potential to be bumped up one. However, couldn't the best of both be taken? Why not have 3 tiers as well as an "upgrade" tier for every tier?! There is no limitation on what you can do in terms of tech.

What would be the cost of each research for new types of units? (I'm assuming it'd cost iron and oil.)

Not very many in mind but a few:
>Asassin: Melee unit. Can go stealth. Has a 25% chance to get a critical hit. Uneffective against heavy vehicles.
>Scout (Medic): Has the heal ability, but no attack. In a chance of danger, the Scout has an ability to stun a targeted unit for 2 seconds, in addition to the ability to call a Bulk Tank
>Heavy Mobile Canon: Long ranged unit. Has a range of 1300 and a minimum range of 300. Has an upgrade that allows it to leave a circle of fire when it fires.
>Bulk Tank: Has a range of 700. Defence is hight, while attacks is low. Attack speed is average. Has the ability to carry 3 units at a time, and another to drop a stick with a camera on it.
All stats can be rearranged and fixed up if you wish. These are just some of the basis of what the force might look like (melee units, long ranged artillary, tanks that are used as transports...etc)

Assassins would be a specialized attack troop. That would work as a simple unit. But what about their base "footmen/archer" type unit? Each race essentially has those, whether it be Corpse Feeders for mutants or Riflemen for Humans.

Because of how quickly units die (you've seen how quickly a force of humans/mutants is machine gunned down by a good defensive force?) I doubt most people can be quick enough with the 2 second stun to make a difference. And, why not just have it have an attack instead of giving it a reactive ability? The only units that can't attack in this game (generally) are transports and workers (though no one's saying you can't make something new and innovative). And... summoning a tank from him might/would not be fair unless it costs resources (and takes time for the tank to arrive, such as an air drop).

For the Heavy Mobile Cannon, 1300 range in this game isn't that far. The 3 longest ranged units in this game currently are:
1) MLRS - 4000 (Very Inaccurate)
2) Howitzer - 3500
3) Bile Launcher - 2400

A transport/tank is a neat idea, instead of having them separately. But dropping a camera from a tank? That's odd. It seems more suited as an infantry/scout's ability.

Level 5
Oil would only be need to create metal out of it.
All units, Building and Upgrades cost Metal only. In Order to balance this the note of essence (Oil rig) needs to be limited (a research is required to increase this number)

Research would not be that expansive around 250 or something but would take time. As i see i haven't mentioned that you can only built 1 research facility.

I tried to every unit use able against a certain type of enemy. The Cleaner is a great weapon against massed melee mutants as he can easily run off while shooting. But since his lack of heavy cannons other tanks or ranged mutants will pwn it fairly easy. It's the same for the Purifier but at a higher level.

So in order to win with this race you have to just pick the best units for your situation or you will fail hard. This race needs good scouting for what early tier units like the Messanger and later the psionic units are.

Level 9
Oil would only be need to create metal out of it.
All units, Building and Upgrades cost Metal only. In Order to balance this the note of essence (Oil rig) needs to be limited (a research is required to increase this number)

Research would not be that expansive around 250 or something but would take time. As i see i haven't mentioned that you can only built 1 research facility.

I tried to every unit use able against a certain type of enemy. The Cleaner is a great weapon against massed melee mutants as he can easily run off while shooting. But since his lack of heavy cannons other tanks or ranged mutants will pwn it fairly easy. It's the same for the Purifier but at a higher level.

So in order to win with this race you have to just pick the best units for your situation or you will fail hard. This race needs good scouting for what early tier units like the Messanger and later the psionic units are.

Ah, that helps clear it up. Perhaps, because oil will be limited for this race, make it so some of the later researches also require oil?

While I'd really love implementing firing while attacking, I'm not certain it can be easily done. (Yes, I know the thing with Phoenix Fire; however, with that, you can't specify a damage type without using a custom phoenix fire system. It also looks odd when the turrets don't turn to follow the direction they're supposed to be firing in.)

(Just a spelling thing: I believe you mean "Node" when you say "Note"; Node of Essence makes more sense than a Note of Essence.)

Level 10
Redoe of the units:
Infantry
Trooper (Basic Melee Infantry): This unit has a low attack and low-average attack speed. Relativly cheap cost, yet is one of the weaker units of the force. Abilities include: Critical Hit.
Gunsman (Basic Ranged Infantry): Average ranged infantry. Higher damage then Trooper but at a higher cost. Low cooldown enforces reenforcements to be close. Abilities include: Grenades (researchable) and Long Shot (researchable).
Assasin (Specialized/Advanced Melee Infantry): Advanced melee unit. Short cooldown and high-average damage, at the cost of being expensive to train and fairly weak. Abilities include: Stealth, Critical Hit and self-heal (researchable).
Mech Trooper (Advanced Ranged Infantry): Duel weapon unit: enhansed Gunsman Machine Gun and heavy rocket. Machine gun is fast, yet only slightly stronger then the Gunsmans. The Anti-Vehicle Blaster (also known as the Rocket Launcher) has heavy damage, but quite slow for speed. This unit suffers from slow movement speed. Abilities include: Mines (researchable)
Scout (Multi-Purpose Infantry): Weak, yet very useful infantry unit. Weak attack, yet enough attack speed that he can protect himself. Abilities include: Heal, Stun Grenade and Call for Support.
Vehicles
Bulk Tank (Light Transport Tank): Basic tank for the force. Has 2 attacks. 1 is the machine gun. High speed and low-average damage. 2 is the main cannon. Heavy damage, yet low attack. Abilities include: Load, Unload and Cargo.
Heavy Mobile Cannon (Advanced Long Ranged Vehicle): Defensive and damaging, this vehicle is one of the vehicles you would find hidding in a forest. The vehicle, however, suffers from slow movement and long reload times. Range is 1800 and a minimum range of 300. Abilities include: Bombardment (researchable) and Fire Shells *researchable).
Abilities:
-Critical hit: 25% chance to do double the damage.
-Grenades: Allows the use of grenade. Range: 600.
-Long Shot: The unit fires a shot at far distances, doing little damage. Helps with retreating enemies. Range: 1400.
-Stealth: Allows the unit to move undetected. Lasts 45 seconds, or until the units mana is at 0. 1 mana/second.
-Self-Heal: Allows the unit to heal himself.
-Mines: Allows the unit to drop mines that explode if moved over, 10 seconds go by, or it is remotly detonated (clicking on it, then pressing the detonate button).
Heal: Allows the unit to heal other units, include the unit itself.
-Stun Grenade: Throws a stun grenade, stunning all targeted enemy units for 8 seconds.
-Call for Support: The unit calls a Bulk Tank to the location of the unit.
-Load/Unload: Allows the unit to pickup/drop other units.
-Cargo (Bulk Tank): Allows the Bulk Tank to carry an additional 3 units.
-Bombardment (Mobile Cannon/Heavy Mobile Cannon): Launches a wave of projectiles at a targeted location dealing heavy damage. Long cooldown. Range: 2400.
-Fire Shells: Covers the artillary shells in exremly flammable liquids. On impact, the ground around the impact site is left burning for 10 seconds, burning any unit moving within the area for 7 seconds.

More units to come. I think I've spent the longest time on a single post ever made (about an hour and a half, thinking, getting distracted... hey look, its raining!).

Level 5
You are right about the node thing thank you for clearing that up.

However since Oil is limited Metal will also be limited for the church. That is why i don't see a reason to add oil cost to research.

I didn't thing to use some kind of turret for the cleaner but some sort of saucer shooting it out of his border(?). In case of the cleaner it could also be changed to be some kind of flying chainsaw dealing damage to units around it. For this you could use some kind of Immolation. However I haven't found a use able model for this so we could replace it with this Walker type.

Pain-Pod
medium armored long range anti infantry unit. Small needle like rockets hit the infantry target if it kills the target a explosion will occur damaging all nearby troops (dose not happen if it kills a tank).

Gore-Pod
Same as Pain-Pod but with a higher armor.
Spells:
Ragefire
Shoots a special projectile at a target non-organic or high tier mutant unit. Upon impact the unit will suffer high damage and have its armor reduced by a high amount.

Level 9
More units to come. I think I've spent the longest time on a single post ever made (about an hour and a half, thinking, getting distracted... hey look, its raining!).

Well, thanks for spending so much time on this topic, I appreciate it! It was raining where I was too.

But back on topic: Yeah, that gives me a basic idea of how the race plays out. But for the more advanced buildings, I still don't get exactly how that plays off. Is it, you just upgrade basic buildings into advanced buildings, or do you build them entirely separately?

You are right about the node thing thank you for clearing that up.

However since Oil is limited Metal will also be limited for the church. That is why i don't see a reason to add oil cost to research.

I didn't thing to use some kind of turret for the cleaner but some sort of saucer shooting it out of his border(?). In case of the cleaner it could also be changed to be some kind of flying chainsaw dealing damage to units around it. For this you could use some kind of Immolation. However I haven't found a use able model for this so we could replace it with this Walker type.

Pain-Pod
medium armored long range anti infantry unit. Small needle like rockets hit the infantry target if it kills the target a explosion will occur damaging all nearby troops (dose not happen if it kills a tank).

Gore-Pod
Same as Pain-Pod but with a higher armor.
Spells:
Ragefire
Shoots a special projectile at a target non-organic or high tier mutant unit. Upon impact the unit will suffer high damage and have its armor reduced by a high amount.

Well, technically, neither oil nor iron are strictly "limited;" it's the income that is limited. You are limited to what oil you can produce, which subsequently controls how much iron you can make. And for the Nodes of Essences, are they exactly like oil derricks (meaning that they are just built upon oil-patches/blight)?

Well, in any case, I was just suggesting that research take oil because it is a less easily acquirable resource compared to iron. I'm assuming, though, that 1 oil > 1 iron. I don't know, and won't know till I try and put this into execution.

If only there was some easy way to make a unit fly around and around the cleaner... sorta like a locust swarm, except without hit point returns. That way, I could even control the damage type.

The pain pod is a pretty cool idea. By long range, do you mean artillery-range, or long-range infantry (sniper style) range?

Level 2
Machines (no idea for a name yet)

Background
The machines were created in a last ditch effort to combat the mutants. They would be the perfect weapon against the mutations as they are unaffected by the diseases these creatures bring. Though the machines eventually started to learn, and broke apart from the humans, not wanting to fight someone elses battle since they remain unaffected.

Gameplay
-General Building Info
Machine buildings build off of each other. Example, you have your command center. You want to build a barracks. If can only be built while adjacent to another building, as they all need to be connected.

-Resource Gathering
Machines need to build power plants to run everything. Power plants will be connected with the rest of the buildings as well. Basically, a power plant will give you say 200 power. A barracks will take up 50 power. Now you are left with 150 available power.

Second resource is titanium, or something maybe mineable. So, resource gathering would be similar to humans except the machines power is a resource and their supply as units created would tap into the power grid and use a certain amount of power to function.

-Units/Technology
Not entirely sure, maybe a mixture of both Human and Mutant. Tech trees similar to Humans. But having the ability to either morph into upgraded units or choose to reconstruct themselves into a new unit.

Example...
Machine Combat Drone
Built from the barracks. Low attack. Through some technological advancement it learns how to reconstruct itself to be better at combat or better at self repair. So it can reconstruct into a Heavy Combat Drone or a Light Repair Drone.

In instances where a unit only has one upgrade path, all units of that type on the map would be upgraded automatically.

-Misc. Info
If you really wanted to get fancy you could make it so player base building gives them bonuses. Say they connected 2 power plants together and then a Barracks. Units would have a production speed boost. So like...

CC -> Pow -> Pow -> Barr
Would be a faster production speed than...
CC -> Pow -> Barr

This would work in all ways so you could have a base set up like...

Tank Factory <- Power <- CC -> Power -> Power -> Barracks
^
|
Power
^
|
Airfield

Basically every building would have a build menu since you'd have to build your buildings off of one another. For examples, you could look at how Sprout TD works. I think it's protected, but it would give you an idea of what I mean.

-Remaining Thoughts
I could still add plenty to that, but I hope it gives you an idea of my thoughts and if you consider this option as a third race I could delve a little deeper and come up with units and tech. Maybe even a more interesting way to do tech.

Also, machine AI wouldn't run away because let's just say their consciousness is transferred to the command center (yeah, i know what you're thinking =P ) so they would just be re-uploaded to a new machine.

Also, machines could possibly be unaffected by mutant disease effects? But they are also maybe slow attackers? Not really sure how to balance the machines in an interesting way with the other races, but eh.

Level 9
Machines (no idea for a name yet)

Background
The machines were created in a last ditch effort to combat the mutants. They would be the perfect weapon against the mutations as they are unaffected by the diseases these creatures bring. Though the machines eventually started to learn, and broke apart from the humans, not wanting to fight someone elses battle since they remain unaffected...

...Also, machines could possibly be unaffected by mutant disease effects? But they are also maybe slow attackers? Not really sure how to balance the machines in an interesting way with the other races, but eh.

Not a bad idea either. There's just one thing I don't like about the background, and it's them deciding that they don't want to fight another man's war. No, they believe the humans to be weak. They believe that they are superior, and don't need to take orders from humans. That would make more sense in terms of that.

The structural linking is intriguing. Perhaps I will make all the buildings have mana, and then you have an ability that lets you link structures to each other to power stuff. (Kinda like power towers, if you've ever played that.) Of course, since you have limited range with how far power connects (unless you have relays), all your buildings sorta have to be connected. Plus, if they're not, the enemy could sever the connection to render the structures useless. Barracks, factory, and what not could be defendant on having power to operate. Perhaps there would be levels of how well they could operate, deciding on the production rate.

Onto other things. The really complicated linking structures are a little... hard to implement. I think I've already noted a substitute/solution for that above this paragraph.

For the idea of developing upgrades for mechanical troops, that would be intriguing. Perhaps there are only a limited number of initial troop type ("empty chassis designs") which are able to be upgraded with various add-ons? This would allow the machine player to make decisions on how they want to mold their troops. Perhaps you can only pick 1 of 2 upgrades sometimes.

And the machines will definitely be immune to poisons or whatnot, they're freakin' mechanical. It'll all be balanced, cause each race will eventually develop solutions for other race (aka I patch the game and add in the units). So, in the end, it should all be fair through balancing and people's feedback (like yours).

Level 5
The nodes of Essences are restricted by a building Limit as the game starts you cannot have more then 2 or 3. Later research will allow to built more of them.

The Gore-Pod has a sniper type attack.

Level 2
Not a bad idea either. There's just one thing I don't like about the background, and it's them deciding that they don't want to fight another man's war. No, they believe the humans to be weak. They believe that they are superior, and don't need to take orders from humans. That would make more sense in terms of that.

Story has never been my strong point. =P

As for buildings, I actually thought about doing it like Power Towers TD just thought it might take up too much base space. Though it would look much cooler with everything connected and I guess you can scale the buildings down.

For the units, it would be nice having just a few empty units that can be fitted with addons that make them into certain class types, like heavy weapons, or repair module or scout radar. And as the machines advance more, like mutants, you could upgrade they're barracks to produce the more advanced tiers of machines so they don't have to upgrade one unit 4 times to get it to be more inline with the rest of their troops.

But yes, being able to sort of customize your troops with addons would make them feel different then the rest of the races and be pretty fun. Probably too much work but being able to say...

Empty Chassis - Addon (Light Weapons, Heavy Weapons, Repair Drones, or Scout Radar)
Choose Addon (Light Weapons) - Now you have a few new options (Scout Radar, Repair Drones, or more Light Weapons)
Choose Addon (Scout Radar) - Now more different options (Faster Leg Movement, Improved Scout Radar Range, Stealth Generator)

End up with a Scout Vehicle with light weapons and scout radar and say you chose stealth generator.

Hmm, as awesome as that would be that's a ton of different unit variations lol. Cause you could also have a scout vehicle with light weapons, scout radar and faster leg movement. I guess you could make them abilities too, to cut down on the amount of units needed.

EDIT: Added in unit variations to give you a better idea of what I was trying to describe.

Units
-Machine units should be strong and few. Expensive. Since, they can't be affected by mutant disease and the human projectile weapons won't kill them nearly as fast. (Let's just go with because they have no organic tissue, the bullets would need to do considerable damage to basically shut down a machine unit)

So, you can either focus on hybrid units or make more sturdy unit roles. Basically if you want a good scout unit, you would want to start with scout radar. As the tier 4 Upgrade would be nice for scouts if you start with scout radar. If you don't start with scouts then you don't have access to scout tier 4 upgrades. Actually maybe no access to tier 4 upgrades unless you stick with whatever you chose as tier 1 throughout upgrading. Like...

Tier 1 Light weapons, tier 2 light weapons upgrade, tier 3 repair drone upgrade, no tier 4
Tier 1 Light weapons, tier 2 light weapons upgrade, tier 3 light weapons upgrade, tier 4 light weapons

Alright, on paper this is pretty hard to follow. Though in game it would be simple since you'd basically see all upgrades on your unit when you want to advance to the next tier. It's set up so you could, if you wanted to, have a unit have light weapons, a simple scout radar, and some repair ability.

Light Chassis
(No armor, no weapon)
-Upgrade the defenseless chassis to a tier 1 unit.

Tier 1 - Light Weapons (Adds weapons, small hp boost)
-Tier 2 Branches into - Scout Radar, Repair Drones and Improved Ammo
--Tier 3 Scout Radar Branches - Improved Speed, Repair Drones (No tier 4)
--Tier 3 Repair Drone Branches - Improved Armor, Scout Radar (No tier 4)
--Tier 3 Improved Ammo Branches - Add Armor, Scout Radar (No tier 4), Repair Drones (No tier 4)
---Tier 4 Add Armor Branches - Combat Drone (Improves in all light weapon areas, atk, atk spd, etc.)

Tier 1 - Repair Drones (Adds Repair skill, and some armor, medium hp boost)
-Tier 2 Branches into - Scout Radar, Light Weapons and Improved Armor
--Tier 3 Scout Radar Branches - Improved Speed, Light Weapons (No tier4)
--Tier 3 Light Weapons Branches - Improved Ammo, Scout Drones (No tier 4)
--Tier 3 Imporved Armor Branches - Improved Repair Rate, Scout Radar (No tier 4), Light Weapons (No tier 4)
---Tier 4 Improved Repair Rate Branches - Repair Bot (Improves in all repair areas, armor, repair rate, etc.)

Tier 1 - Scout Radar (Adds scout radar, and slight speed increase, no hp boost)
-Tier 2 Branches into - Repair Drones, Light Weapons and Improved Speed
--Tier 3 Repair Drones Branches - Improved Armor, Light Weapons (No tier 4)
--Tier 3 Light Weapons Branches - Improved Ammo, Repair Drones (No tier 4)
--Tier 3 Imporved Speed Branches - Improved Radar Range, Repair Drones (No tier 4), Light Weapons (No tier 4)
---Tier 4 Improved Radar Range Branches - Scout Drone (Improves in all scout areas, hp, radar range, etc.)

Now with tier 4 upgrades you run into the issue of, is there even a reason for making hybrid units? So, can either do away with tier 4 upgrades or figure out some way to make hybrids more attractive.

Heavy Chassis (Researched later, for tank type units)
(Heavy armor, no weapons)
-Upgrades

Hover Chassis (Researched later, for flight units)
(Light armor, no weapons)
-Upgrades

Last edited:
Level 9
Oh my! That's a bunch of stuff.

Let me see if I get what you're saying:

Basic Chassis -> becomes...
-> Basic Chassis with weapons
--> Basic Chassis with 2x weapons
--> Basic Chassis with weapons and armor
-> Basic Chassis with radar
--> Basic Chassis with radar and weapons
--> Basic Chassis with radar and armor

and et. cetera, but certain paths would not have a 4th tier.

I'm assuming that this applies to all your units once you upgrade it?

Level 2
Not even positive I know what I wrote haha. I'm at work today since we have a big project due friday and I just wanted to take a break and write up some stuff real quick.

But yes, what you summarized is basically it.

As for your question, I was thinking more along the lines of needing to upgrade each unit, so you could really make a custom army, but I guess that would be quite a lot of work even if upgrades were quick. Cause I was thinking that these upgrades would be on the actual unit, like say... Basic Chassis has upgrades; weapons, radar, scout. Choose one, it upgrades, now it has a different set of upgrades. Of course it would take technology to unlock some of the upgrades.

With worrying about keeping buildings connected to power and trying to manage fights, it may be a pain upgrading a unit each time it is created. So, I dunno. Just a quick few ideas I thought I'd put together on my break.

EDIT: But if you balance it that machine units are strong and expensive, it wouldn't be too big a problem upgrading each unit. So, who knows. I'll come up with different ideas if you want. =)

Level 9
Not even positive I know what I wrote haha. I'm at work today since we have a big project due friday and I just wanted to take a break and write up some stuff real quick.

But yes, what you summarized is basically it.

As for your question, I was thinking more along the lines of needing to upgrade each unit, so you could really make a custom army, but I guess that would be quite a lot of work even if upgrades were quick. Cause I was thinking that these upgrades would be on the actual unit, like say... Basic Chassis has upgrades; weapons, radar, scout. Choose one, it upgrades, now it has a different set of upgrades. Of course it would take technology to unlock some of the upgrades.

With worrying about keeping buildings connected to power and trying to manage fights, it may be a pain upgrading a unit each time it is created. So, I dunno. Just a quick few ideas I thought I'd put together on my break.

EDIT: But if you balance it that machine units are strong and expensive, it wouldn't be too big a problem upgrading each unit. So, who knows. I'll come up with different ideas if you want. =)

Well, the main reason that all the units would upgrade together would be for the sake of simplicity. It would be way too annoying to individually outfit a whole army, unless the upgrades played a more minor part in the race's evolution.

If indeed the race has fewer units but more powerful units, that would create a slight problem in this game; you lose a few units cause you got rushed that you devoted many resources into and the machines would have no way of recovering.

Level 2
True. Then of course you run into the problem that with global upgrades. You can get stuck with all radar/scout mechs if you don't know the machine race that well.

I'd say easiest way would be.

Basic Chassis (can attack)
--> Reconstruct into Heavy Mech or Light Mech.
Light Mech
--> Reconstruct into Combat Mech or Repair Drone or Scout Mech.
Heavy Mech
--> Reconstruct into, tanks types and long range bombardment.

This way your basic unit can attack, and he just upgrades into the different units. Almost like the mech is the barracks. It re-contructs itself into different mechs. And tech advancement would unlock the repair drone and such.

Nanomachines (Allows you to re-contruct into a mech that can Repair other mechs.)

Also, to make building easier later down the road, tech advancement would also make it so that instead of creating basic mechs, you could build a combat, repair, scout mech right off the bat. Skipping the upgrade process of the first few. Maybe when you research Repair Drones, that's when you gain the ability to make them right off the bat. So you can have your old mechs transform into them if they choose or stay as a Light mech. Waiting for Combat mech to be researched, then you could create 1 combat mech and evolve your Light mech into a combat mech. Heh, dunno.

With this you still get something interesting, but a more simple and quicker way for upgrading. And tech advancement would increase the mech stats.

Improved Nanomachines (Increases all Repair Drones rate of repair.)
Something like that.

A race that's kind of a mix between humans and mutants. Similar to humans in that it has the same type of tech system. Similar to mutants in that their units sort of evolve over time.

Level 10
That force sounds very complex. I would be extremly surprised if it came out perfectly. I like that idea.
The Exploration Humans, I decided, should include at least 1 ability per unit, and at least 2 multi-tier upgrades per unit. In other words, a really weak unit can become just as strong as a non-upgraded heavier unit. Abilities would differ on the unit. For the most part, the offensive/defensive units should have more offensive abilities and maybe 1 support ability (like self-heal), while support/transport units would have supportive/defensive/aura abilties. That way a person will be less likly to think "I don't need a transport. Its not like they have any helpful abilities or anything." It would make sence. Anyways, I'll just keep adding on to the force, and eventually get an entire post of the buildings, units, abilities, upgrades, and special features. Might take awhile, might not. Only time will tell.

Level 5
Summary and update.

I have updated all parts except the Psionic units.

Apocalyptic Church

This race doesn't gather metal or oil

Malirdium
Instead of metal this faction gathers Malirdium. This is a rare synthetic metal. It must be created this is done by the Essence Node. Those Nodes are limited in the beginning you can only built 2. Later research will allow you to increase their power and built additional nodes. This is the only thing that is need for the creation of their buildings and units.

Malak's Will
It is limited to a max of 1200 and you start with a amount of 100.
It is created in small amounts by each building and unit. However units will only create a little of this once they are trained while buildings will continue to create this recourse. It is needed to enable (not research) any research. As a example a research needs 200 Will and you have 250. You can research it however if you spend now these 250 for a ability the research becomes unavailable. I'm not sure but I thing this should not cancel a research in progress. Only special abilities are reducing this resource.

Note:
The Main Building will have a ability menu which is filled if you gain more of Malak's Will

in the year 1443 a gifted child was born. This child grow fast and showed enormous skill in what ever he did, brilliant and loved by all. As the Years passed this child became arrogant. Still all men and women loved him saying that only he could be their King. The current ruler could not ignore the threat this man posed to him and his dynasty. Royal Assassins where sent out to find and kill that man. However of the 10 Assassins only 3 came back alive and those where broken unable to speak a word. Living the rest of their live in darkness. The Man however vanished from earth and was never seen again together with hundreds of other gifted Men and Women.

As time past word came that an unknown Cult tries to take over the world. The Cult grew and grew. There were rumors that the cult has taken over smaller countries not by force but with kind words. While the Cult raises to power they became frightened, not because of their enemies but their friends. Fear of Betrayal, fear to be killed while sleeping grew inside the Cult secret Leaders. Their was only one who stood above, the gifted child of the past has plans of his own to dispatch the what secretly calls “the weak minded”. The plan was a bloody one, in the end only the most powerful of the cult survived.
The gifted one has now realized, that he nearly destroyed his creation. All that was left was his growing madness. But he did not give up. The remains of the cult began experiment both cruel and powerful. Immortality was all the now single leader of the cult had in mind. But as time passed so did the cult at least this is what the world things.

After hundreds of years passed a terrible experiment, made by the followers of the Apocalyptic Church, succeeded the Man of ages past returned to the living. But his body was rotten to nothing but dust. He was transfered into a machine created out of pure madness.

The awakened machine started to live. A new Cult was born at this moment their members basking in the power to have defeated death had no longer bounds to the real world. As the Leader has returned to the living he declared that there is no longer a cult, he declared to be a reborn God, changing the cult to a church and he called himself Malak'tan, which means God of Gods in their own secret language. He took over all that was rebuilt by the new church. The experiment that the cult has bought horrific creations with them. Creations made of flesh, bone and metal, living machines. This all was unknown to the world until the day the sun will die.

Malak fought of a new plan full of insanity. He believed that Humankind is not worth to live. Shortly before the sun died his personal agents set up bombs in most of the secret church bases.

As the dark day approached Malak, who knew what would happen, transmitted a message to all his Followers:”My children, the time of ascension is upon us. The time of our victory. The time of justice and TRUE PEACE. I will destroy the SUN ITSELF! This is your sign to arise out of the shadow to cut of your bounds to this rotten world. Only those who fight and survive will be chosen by me to live in this new epoch of wealth.”

Main:

Church
This is their command center it dose only build workers and can't be upgraded.

Cathedral of the Chosen
Once built the Church turns neutral passive and starts to decay. This Building will be the new command center. Allowing to summon from it their next generation buildings.

Production:

Temple of Peace
Their basic barracks. Creates

Portal of the Chosen
Once built all Barracks turn neutral passive and start to decay. This Building will train their advanced units.

Resource:

Essence Node (limit 2 can be increased through research)
This Building generates Malirdium.

Research:

Circle of Destruction (limit 1)
Research Building for their offensive units, buildings and abilities

Apocalyptic Circle.
Once built every Circle of Destruction turns neutral passive and starts to decay. All researches that were available in the the Circle of Destruction are available here to but this buildings finishes them 20% faster.

Circle of Harmony (limit 1)
Researches economical and defensive units, buildings and abilities.

Circle of forced peace
Once built every Circle of Harmony turns neutral passive and starts to decay. All researches that were available in the the Circle of Harmony are available here to but this buildings finishes them 20% faster.

Defense:

Circle of Protection
This is a defensive hub it can create up to 4 cannons, rocket throwers or flame throwers. With each add on built the HP of the Hub increases by 150. If the hub is destroyed all his add ons are destroyed too. However if a add on is destroyed the hub looses 150 HP and begins to recreate it automatically. Once finished its hp are increased by 150 again.

- Sub-Buildings (towers attached to the Circle of Protection)

Cannon Tower
Basic and tank cannon it shot deals damage in a small area.
Rocket thrower
Basic Anti-Air and tank cannon. Unlike the cannon Tower this one doesn't have area damage
Flamer
Basic anti melee tower. Short range high damage deals damage to all units in the line of fire.
Machine Gunner
Basic anti Infantry tower. Medium range high rate of fire.

These buildings don't need Malirdium they only need Malak's Will and are summoned.

Malak's Doctrine (250 Will)
This Building has 2 special abilities it can instantly destroy a target organic unit anywhere on the map or buffing a single friendly unit doubling their HP, damage, attack rate, move rate and Armor. However once the buff ends or is dispelled that unit dies.

Sanctuary of Ascension (350 Will)
Creates automatically (you can not chose which is built) ascended this can either be a Mind Breaker, Machine Knight or a Techno Mage.

Hand of Destiny (600 Will)
Automatically creates every 120 creates either one Psionic Mindslayer, Psionic Impostor or a Psionic divine Knight.

Star Diviner (600 Will)
This building can create 3 different flying drones. This Building needs to create a add on called Drone Catapult (it supports a maximum of 3). The Drone Launcher can then create at a fast speed (5 seconds) any drone unit.

Types:

Kamikaze-Drone.
Armed with a warhead of choice this drone has many functions but all will cause this unit to be destroyed upon impact.

Neuraliser XD-23
Stuns all organic units and the driver of mechanic units.
Shadow MD-1043S
This will stealth the drone and increase its damage however it wont deal Area damage
Biokiller ST-113
Can only aim ground units upon impact this unit releases a cloud of corrosive acids dealing damage over time. (basically it creates a disease cloud that also damages machines.)
Doombringer FL-992K
This deals massive Area damage upon impact. It can either aim ground units and deal area damage to ground units or air units and deal area damage to all fliers.
Seeker MD-1039S
Stealth drone that crashes into an area and leaves a detector behind has a large vision range and stealth detection.

Hunter Pod-Drone.
The biggest difference to the Kamikaze Drone is that this one is limited in the range it can fly. Once it reaches its destiny it will release several drones. All the released drones will die soon after being released.

Blade FK-101-MW
These drones will deal heavy damage to infantry but only low to heavy armored units.
Firedragon LT 1
Releases several drones that have the ability to meld armor reducing the armor of heavy armored units. A unit hit by this effect cannot be repaired.
Trapper MP-259
The released drones will fall to the earth where they will turn into a mine field.
Disarmer FT-663
These drones attach themselves to enemy units. Reducing their damage by 50% for 10 seconds after this time the drones will self destruct stunning the target for 1 second.

Call the ascended (650 Will)
Creates one Mind Breaker, Machine Knight and a Techno Mage.

Chosen Children (750 Will)
Target Area deals 750 damage in that area and creates one Psionic Mindslayer, Psionic Impostor and a Psionic divine Knight.

End of the World (1200 Will)
Next to you Command center the ultimate unit arises the Burning Angel

Tier 1 organic units

Shock Trooper (pack of 4)
Basic Foot soldier uses a weak melee attack..

Shock Templar
Stronger attack and slightly more Armor then the Trooper. This unit is also immune to slows.

Shock Gunner (pack of 4)
Basic ranged unit weak attack and defensive.

Shock Bomber.
Upgraded version of the Gunner a little bit stronger attack. This units are immune to slows. Has a small chance of 5% to stun a unit.

Machinist (pack of 4)
Basic support unit has a weak spell to regenerate machines (restores 25 HP)

Machine Priest (research will turn Machinist into Machine Priests)
Has a Aura that increases Armor of nearby machines by 1 and has a spell to regenerate machines (restores 45 HP). Can also help to increase Building speed.

Tracker (pack of 3)
Basic Scout unit, weak medium ranged attack. Good vision and speed.
Spell:
Camouflage
The unit becomes invisible while not moving

Sleuth (pack of 3)

Advanced scout unit better vision then the tracker.
Spells:
Speed Module
For a short time the speed of this unit is maximized and cannot be slowed
Camouflage
Scanner Module
The unit becomes unmovable for a short duration after 4 seconds all units in a large area are visible. This spell dose not break the stealth.

Disciple (pack of 4)
Short range anti tank attack. This is a very fast unit.

Faith
More Armor and More damage. Very fast and immune to slow.

Knight (pack of 4)
Strong Melee attack. Fast

Paladin
More Armor and HP. Fast immune to slow.
Spell:
Blinding Light
Blinds a small targeted area and causes each unit in that area to have a high chance to miss for a short time.
Righteous Fury
When this unit is attack it gains increased move and attack speed.

Dark Walker (pack of 3)
Advanced scout unit with a strong anti infantry weapon. Large Vision.
Spell:
Dark Walk
The unit becomes invisible for a short time but it's movement speed is reduced.

Shadow Walker
Greater range and faster movespeed.
Spell:
Shadow Walk
Same as Dark Walk except this unit is not slowed.

Messenger (pack of 3)
Basic scout and Hit and Run unit.

Word bringer
Has increased speed and damage.
Spells:
Banner of Truth
Places a Banner that gives sign of the area and increases damage of nearby organic units.
Sensor Attachment:
Targets a friendly unit that unit gains increased sight and the detection ability.

Carrier (pack of 2)
Basic unarmed Transporter has high armor and defense.

Subterranean Fury
Has the same armor and defense however is equipped with a light flame thrower.
Spell:
Dig to Victory
The unit will dig itself and move in the underground to a target position.

Beast (pack of 2)
Basic attack vehicle armed with a light anti tank cannon.

Hellhound
Upgraded armor and hp.

Spell:
Sacred ground (passive)
Each attack leaves a small flame patch.

Assassin (pack of 2)
Basic anti infantry vehicle armed with a light machine gun weak armored.

Executioner
Slighty more HP, armor and attack damage.
Critical Aim
Each shot has a 15% chance to deal double damage

Crusader
Heavy attack Tank with good armor and HP

Inquisitor
Heavy attack/siege Tank higher armor and damage
Spells:
incendiary bomb
- throw a bomb a targeted building creating a flame patch around the building dealing damage to all enemy units and buildings within.

Sky Sweeper
Heavy long range anti Air can not attack ground units.

Vanquisher
Very heavy long range anti air unit. Has a small machine gun to attack ground units.
Spell:
Sky Barrage
- Shoots a pack of missiles in the sky dealing heavy area damage to that region.
Set up
This unit becomes unmovable and gains an increased rate of fire.

(those units are immune to weather effects)

Mind Breaker
Strong anti infantry unit it has a chance of 15% to stun a attacked organic unit. Has also the Mind break ability causing a targeted unit to turn neutral hostile for 30 seconds. And the seal abilty which prevents using of any active or passive skill of a single organic enemy.

Machine Knight
Strong anti Tank melee Infantry has the ability to dodge attacks. Deal addition damage on each attack and is immune to slows and stuns. Has the active ability to paralyze a enemy with a EMP shock.

Techno Mage.
Supporting unit. Has a strong mid range attack. Increases damage of nearby infantry by 10% and armor of nearby machines by 2. (dose stack with the Machin Priests aura)

Psionic Tier 2 units
(Immune to weather effect)

Psionic Mindslayer
Very strong high range Anti Infantry and scout Unit. Is Immune to spells.

Spells:
Berserk:
Turns a unit neutral hostile increasing their HP damage and attack rate by 50% for 30 seconds that unit will also use a taunt at the begging of this effect.
Mark
Gives Vision of an enemy units within a range of 3500.

Sense the Blind
Gives vision of every nearby enemy unit in a range of 2500 for 10 seconds.

Psi Shield
Gives a shield to a target friendly unit that absorbes damage for each 12 points of damage absorbed the Mindslayer looses 1 mana

Psionic Impostor
Very heavy Support unit. Medium range attack. Immune to spells and detection abilities.

Spells:
Veil of Darkness
The Imposter turns invisible and cannot be detected unless a high level abilty is used to do so (A Corpse Feeder should not be able to see this unit)

Trickery
Creates 5 Illusion of a random Church unit.

Weakening Presence
Decreases nearby enemies attack damage by 20% in a 550 range.

Great Show
Once activate the Imposter can not be invisible and can no longer move until the spell is cancled or finished. The Imposter creates a mighty Aura that increases attack damage, Armor, HP and Life Regeneration of every friendly unit in a 1200 range.

Psionic divine Knight.
Very heavy melee unit. Immune to slow and stuns.

Divine Guard
Increasing armor by 25 for 30 seconds and increasing life regeneration

Mighty strike
Each attack has a chance to deal AoE damage.

Onslaught
Greatly increases move speed of the Knight and up to 5 friendly units nearby. The first attack will deal double damage.

Judgment
The Knight will unleash several leather blows against each enemy around him stunning and damaging them.

Burning Angel (when this unit dies Malak's will is set to 0)

Extreme heavy melee combat unit efficient against every thing.

Spells:

Inferno Wake
Deals heavy damage to all units in a line.

Divine Flame
Increases the attack damage of all you units on the whole map by 25% (not including itself). Each unit attacking this on has its attack speed reduced by 25%

Bioarmor GG-1337
Increases this units life regeneration

Fly
This you can fly a small distance.

Final Judgment
This ability can only be used once its Hit Points drop below 25%. The unit will unleash a tremendous explosion dealing heavy damage in a 1500 radius. This skill needs 3 seconds to cast.

Level 9
With all these ideas, I figure I might even implement 2 more races for version 2.0! But more likely, if I am to add in more than one race, another race will be added in before version 2.

Well, great job for what ideas you have so far. I'm beginning to compile what I believe I will have for the 3rd race. I just recently discovered that the map limit is 4mb and not 3mb, so I will have a little more room to work with in terms of imports.

Level 9
<<Bumping the thread>>

I am in the process of the creating the third race. From the looks of it (from what I see so far) it resembles most like the machine ideas, though with a few things that make it unique in its own way.

For the ideas that are not used, do not fear; they will have their place in the future.

For those of you out there, you can continue to provide ideas on what you'd like to see on the third race.

Level 9
I'm going to begin revealing a few concepts that I think I will introduce into the third race, and you can be the judge of it. I want to hear what you think; if I'm doing a bad job, I want to know.

Machines (Following suit behind the other two races and Blizzard's idea, their race name is also generic.)

Man's profound curiosity with creating robots and machines has never ceased and has shown up throughout time. Now, in the grim future that is war, this is still the same. As the conflict of between the Humans and the Mutants becomes a struggle harder and harder for the humans to win, Humans have decided to create constructs; droids. Call them what you will, but they are what they are: automated creations meant for war. However, that was just the beginning. With limited resources to develop an AI powerful enough and fear that it may gain too much independence, the neuroscientists of the Humans started developing Conscience-Driven Machines, or CDM troopers.

Permanently disabled war soldiers were taken and experimented upon to be used as these prototype soldiers. At first, they worked as planned. Soon, however, the mutants developed their own methods of destroying these increasing ranks of mechanical foes. The lead neuroscientist, Haevar, grew crazed with finding a way to create the "perfect" machine; this led him to create the Twin-Bind Interface system. The T-BI could rebind a person onto a machine much faster; however, Haevar himself could control all who were subject under this system. Fearing persecution from his colleagues and the aroused attention of human leaders, he fled. Destroying what he didn't take, he disappeared into the cold. The Humans stopped development of all technology having to do with Haevar, and did not attempt to recreate it. Too much money had already been wasted.

However, this was not the end of Haevar; he would return soon, having reached what he called "Ascended Perfection." Now, he sends legions of steel soldiers to reclaim what glory should have been his. He seeks to gain what he has lost: his humanity. For Haevar, all must submit to his will or die in his passing.

A sort of blend of all three stories. It just seemed appropriate, story-line wise (for what I already had). I don't believe I really posted the original story of the Darkening Wars; if people want me to, request it and I will do it.

-No builder, like mutants
-Main building is the Central Nexus
-Buildings of machines require power (in the form of mana) to operate efficiently
-The Central Nexus generates its own power and can power other structures
-The same is true for several power-generating structures the Machines have
-Almost all machine structures can have "Nodes," or addons
-There are 3 "tiers" to the machine race; 3 structures they can create from the Nexus. Each one then upgrades to the needed structure for the appropriate cost.
-Research structures can only research a few research without the correct Nodes; Nodes increase the capacity to research at each tier.
-Machine units can be either versatile or specialized; this is determined by the player playing.
-Power links between structures will be visible special effects, giving a vibrant glow to the base

No units for the race are final except for most of the building ideas I have so far. Anyone can also suggest units that they would like to see for this race. Preferably, only droid/machine/mech things. It is unlikely this race will have vehicles; instead, each "man" has already had his conscience transferred into a machine.

Level 10
If you want more detail on my race idea (for any reason), I can give you more. I'm just getting curious if you will want more then the 3 (though your third race seems pretty fun, I havn't gotten around to testing the newest version due to map making and all that, but I will).

Level 9
If you want more detail on my race idea (for any reason), I can give you more. I'm just getting curious if you will want more then the 3 (though your third race seems pretty fun, I havn't gotten around to testing the newest version due to map making and all that, but I will).

Go ahead, I'd love to hear your ideas. The more, the better. That was there's more material to work with.

Level 9
<<Bumping>>

Version 1.14 should be out soon. It has a new few changes to patch the game up, but more importantly, I am beginning to slip in implementations of the 3rd race. Once I get enough of the race done (roughly by Version 1.20) it should be released for public testing.

Oh, and some more information about the Machine race:

-Research structures are something of an oddity for them; you can only build 1 of each variety (out of 2), and at which point, you can't research anything except the two generic upgrades which increase the number of type of units you can control. Only after you have built one of the three "Trees" of tech in a Add-on Node slot can you research an upgrade. Each research structure has 3 of these Node slots, meaning you can specialize in one tree or be balanced and have one of each.
-While not as vital for other structures (but perhaps just as important), you can also build Add-on Nodes. These will either increase the productivity of the main structure or give it additional capabilities. A good example of this is the Turret Node. In this way, you are allowed to choose what Add-ons you use to customize the variety of tower you have, all from one Tower Node.
-Add-on Nodes can be demolished to be replaced with other varieties of Nodes.
-"Barracks" or factory type structures have Add-ons which allow different types of units to be built.

Level 5
Very complicated. Definitely will not understand until I play it. My "Empire Azeroth" map has infantry, ranged, cavalry that deal bonus damage against each other in a Rock, Paper, Scissors fashion. No tiers or ages. Only about 7 units per race, 10 buildings, and 5 races. VERY simple.

Level 9
Oh don't worry, it won't be too complicated. The mechanics are complex, really, but you'll see how it goes once it comes out.

An update on progress: The Machines are being worked on already. They'll be done when they're done, but expect around 1-2 weeks minimum, and then they'll slowly be tweaked up to shape.

However, do expect another patch before version 1.20, as I have a few things in mind:
-Infantry might use ammunition
-Infantry take cover behind debris
-Debris starts scattered around the map
-Additional debris created from dead vehicles and structures
-Shots missed that fire over a wall of debris have a chance to hit the structure instead

Level 5
-Infantry might use ammunition

Please no. Making the Game more realistic is good and fine but a change like would make me cry. It is complicated enough to survive against mutants early game.

However the other points sound nice. You did a great job with this map

Level 9
Please no. Making the Game more realistic is good and fine but a change like would make me cry. It is complicated enough to survive against mutants early game.

However the other points sound nice. You did a great job with this map

Thanks buddy =] Hehe, and a little advertisement too, feel free to join the darkening wars social group.

Don't worry; ammunition will make infantry more powerful, if anything. It's just that instead of having a steady stream of damage their damage is condensed into bursts, followed by reloads. Infantry will never have to run back to base.

Level 9
Bump.

The debris/take-cover system has been implemented and should be released shortly, this will greatly benefit infantry vs. tank combat. Not much else to say, but say any ideas you have for the machines so that I might implement it before the race is set in stone.

Level 9
I just have a small note for the map, the infantry's attachment string for the weapons is just weapon and not right + hand. Its minor but it ruins the look of the units when they go prone, not to mention the animations.

Wow, nice catch. I thought I noticed something buggy about the animation... Thanks!

I had already changed the attachment string for the Ak-47 from Right + hand to Weapon, but it didn't seem to change anything, so I didn't change it for the rest of them. But since it does, I'll finish changing it for the rest of them.

Level 4
Yeah I noticed the issues with my map and inspected into the konstrukt models and realized that was the issue. Who knows, in the near future, we might work together on who knows what. Also here is my idea for the no longer 3rd race for Darkening Wars.

The Shroud

History:
At least a year before the experimentation on humans began, around one thousand people disappeared into nowhere. They were searched for with no avail for nearly 2 years. Now as the world is nearing its end, they reemerge from their ancient complexes under the earth. Unknown to all but this select few, an alien civilization once ruled our world, but they disappeared without a trace. And with a faith that is undeniable, they attempt to cleanse the world of the unchosen.

Buildings:
Main Building - Reven Chapel -> Reven Monastery -> Reven Citadel
Barracks - Shadow gate
Research - Formulater
Vehicle Factory - Reclaimer
Defensive Turret - Dark Hound
Super Unit builder - Citadel of the Shroud
Faith Producer - Temple of the Shroud
Iron Producer - Dark Mine

Units:
Reclaimer - Builder
Cultist - T1 attack unit, pack of 5, very weak, low resource cost
Dark Warrior - T2 attack unit, pack of 2, very strong, high resource cost
Shadow Wing - T3 attack unit, pack of 1, insanely strong, insane resource cost
Dark Wing - Transport
Sky Reaper - Artillery/AA
Doom Hammer - Tank
Blood Wing - Uber unit

Gameplay:
The Shroud hits fast and hard, but a sustained assault will literally destroy a force. Even without air units they can annihilate any aircraft with the Sky Reaper, while their units outpace any normal infantry/vehicles.

Level 9
I'd be glad to. I've got my hands full on my own little nifty ideas, if I may say.

My, it seems that zealots are popular in the apocalyptic future. Is there any particular disadvantage to playing your race? Heh, with all those benefits, I see no point not playing as them. The only one I can see off the top of my head is the lack of air units, which isn't particularly troublesome.

Don't be surprised if I eventually recycle these ideas in the future... with all due credits. I still have a lot of things to do before I'm satisfied with modifying this game. With any luck, I can even fit a fourth race into this game! (Which I intend to do with enough time.)

Level 10
I have to agree with Angry_Bovine. What disadvantages are there to the race? In every game, every force has a weakness.
Just to put it out, I might say that if the buildings (and/or units) emerged from the ground, they would lack attack and strength. Defence may also be a good one to decrease, but then again, its not my race/force.

Level 5
If they came from the gound, it makes sense for them to be the defensive team, with bad offense, but durable. Cheap towers and buildings that generate resources would sound good for them. But:
but then again, its not my race/force.

And, who IS the defensive team?
I think about this map in a StarCraft fashion
1. Humans/Terrans: basic RTS race, struggle to survive throughout the game, good at turtling
2. Mutants/Zerg: attack race with weak units spawned massively, get better as game progresses, good at rushing
3. Protoss/Machines: defense race (?), impossible to defeat early on, but lose advantages as game progresses, good at booming

But that's just my opinion.

Last edited:
Level 9
And, who IS the defensive team?
I think about this map in a StarCraft fashion
1. Humans/Terrans: basic RTS race, struggle to survive throughout the game, good at turtling
2. Mutants/Zerg: attack race with weak units spawned massively, get better as game progresses, good at rushing
3. Protoss/Machines: defense race (?), impossible to defeat early on, but lose advantages as game progresses, good at booming

But that's just my opinion.

With the current setting, yes, Mutants are extremely offensive when it comes down to Mutant vs. Human fights. Humans are okay for offense when it happens to be Humans vs. Humans. You'll see the unveiling of the machines soon!

I forgot to elaborate on this but they have really low health so tactics would be more enforced for better strikes. Its also part where they cant work with a sustained assault.

Well, just about everybody has "really low hp" (as humans already do), so that's not totally unique. A sustained assault could be made impossible because of certain abilities that weaken over time. Or perhaps that there units have high mobility, slow attacks, but high damage so that it is possible to kite enemies.

Level 4
Well, just about everybody has "really low hp" (as humans already do), so that's not totally unique. A sustained assault could be made impossible because of certain abilities that weaken over time. Or perhaps that there units have high mobility, slow attacks, but high damage so that it is possible to kite enemies.
That is probaby better then my idea for their weakness. It would look good for sure

Level 9
Bring up my post!

In any case, I'm still looking for ability ideas for machines; realistically, right now all their units are units without abilities. I haven't had time to ponder that yet. Feel free to contribute to this if you wish. Further race ideas are still being accepted.

Level 5
Everyone on this post (Who's done anything), has come up with a race. What about me?!
I think it's my turn.

Level 5
Ok, then:
Here it is:
The Knights of the Purgatory!

Story:
When the Earth fell dark from the great wars, the last spark of light had slowly held onto its survival, but as the war grew more fierce, the light vanished. The dead souls of those bygone warriors who gave their lives to the sanctity of life had moved onto to a state of nothingness, and from this nothingness, came torture. The heavens had no choice but to send the mixed warriors of light using dark ways. The line between good and evil had left. As their troops had ascended to earth, the light had returned. However, it had become something else. The Twilight had dawned. The darkened, yet holy troops would bring peace at the cost of their eternal souls, for only the darkness that currently existed could taint the infinite history of time. As stated in Armageddon: The souls of the dead will rise once again from the hills of Jerusalem, and serve their Lord thy God, once again, and shall smite the forces of hell. These Twilight troops were beyond good and evil; they were the Knights of the Purgatory!

Anyone who stands in their way, shall vanish.

Summoner of the Nether: Worker who sells buildings

Tier 1:
Never Infantry
Never Archer
Never Cavalier
Never Dragoon

Tier 2:
Twilight Swordsman (lvl 2 never warrior)
Twilight Crossbowman (lvl 2 never archer)
Twilight Knight (lvl 2 never cavalier)
Twilight Creeper (lvl 2 never dragoon)
Twilight Crossbow Knight
Twilight Skirmisher
Twilight Longbowman
Twilight Cannon Creeper

Tier 3:

Lark Champion (level 3 never warrior)
Lark Marksman (level 3 never archer)
Lark Paladin (level 3 never cavalier)
Lark Assassin (level 3 never dragoon)
Lark Marksman Paladin (level 2 twilight crossbow knight)
Lark Javelineer (level 2 twilight skirmisher)
Lark Elite (level 2 twilight longbowman)
Lark Artillery Assassin (level 2 twilight cannon creeper)
Lark Monk
Lark War Machine
Lark Caravan
Lark Martyr

I'll put in the buildings later.

Status
Not open for further replies.