• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Spells & Systems Mini-Contest #17

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 12
I'm considering dropping War3, it is starting to become repititious, and compared to other games, a really big waste of time.

Making games inside another game never was prospectful. But coding in wc3 thought me a lot. Now that I am studying Java in classes it feels I have not wasted any time at all.

Level 23
Yeah, I agree with Spiwn... Jass is really a great starting coding language, its the far easiest one I have tried. I am also taking Java courses in school, I am sure I would learn that just fine without school or without Jass, but Jass really helped me along the way.

Ahhh, good to know. Everybody surely wanted to know that.

Awww, I only have 5 days left and my spell is full of bugs xD
I already have 430 lines of code and I am still not done. I feel kinda lost!!!

Lol thats nice to know.. 430 lines of code.. i have a few rather simple GUI Triggers im hoping will be enough to get over a 3 rating =D I don't have all the time in the world so it's hard especially since im a noob ability creator.. =D

Level 17
Can somebody help me with this?

I need a unit falling from heaven linear, anyhow the formula I have found out doesn't want to work really ...
I am using Hanky's MainScript so the code will always be running (with 0.03 seconds as interval)

The Setup looks like this:
JASS:
local real max_interval = DISTANCE / FLYSPEED //global defined, unimportant for now
local real heigh_add = HEIGH / max_interval //also a global defined, not important
set mz = heigh_add

Okay, inside the motion:

JASS:
local real z1
local real z2
// ...
set x  =.x - .mx
set y  =.y - .my
set .x = x
set .y = y

call MoveLocation(TempLoc, x, y)

set z1 = - GetLocationZ(TempLoc)
set z2 = .z - .mz + z1
set .z = z2
call SetUnitFlyHeight(.orb, .z, 0.)

The problem is, that the unit which is falling linear is not always falling linear, especially when the heigh of the checked location is higher than 0 ...

Level 17
Nononono ... you don't see the problem ^^
Example: If you fly with a unit over a cliff, it looks like it is "jumping over" the cliff, not flying. Also, no map is really 100% flat. Every map has different heighs and that makes the flying unit "jump" instead of fly. With the native GetLocationZ(whichLocation) you can get the heigh of the location and calculate the constant heigh somehow ... but my formula seems to be wrong and I need the right one (lol)

Level 18
i hope i will make it in time xD, have to create a new spell, the old one sucks...

@dynasti: nice spell but not that unique :p, its nearly the same like the ulti of the tidehunter in dota (except for the randomness)

No not at all, that one was something simple and easy. The one you refer to is just a simple loop that makes unit shoot impale in a direction

Level 23
Nononono ... you don't see the problem ^^
Example: If you fly with a unit over a cliff, it looks like it is "jumping over" the cliff, not flying. Also, no map is really 100% flat. Every map has different heighs and that makes the flying unit "jump" instead of fly. With the native GetLocationZ(whichLocation) you can get the heigh of the location and calculate the constant heigh somehow ... but my formula seems to be wrong and I need the right one (lol)

In my projectile system I found a way to make it move smooth over cliffs and such. I can tell you what I did:

Step 1: calculate a "smooth" linear function for the ground. I mean, if the startlocZ is let say 0, and the endlocZ is 128, the linear function would get the formula y = (128-0)/maxduration * 'current time'

So, in my case, I did at the beginning of the missile creation:
JASS:
set d.locZ0 = GetLocationZEx(x0,y0)
set d.locZinc = (GetLocationZEx(x1,y1)-d.locZ0)/d.timemax

At the loop function I stored the height in which you should subtract the "normal" heightparabola with, as
JASS:
set d.time = d.time+interval
set d.nX = d.x0+d.speed*d.time*d.cos
set d.nY = d.y0+d.speed*d.time*d.sin
set d.nZ = GetLocationZEx(d.nX,d.nY)-(d.locZ0+d.locZinc*d.time)
[...]
call SetUnitFlyHeight(d.missile,<Slope parabola formula>-d.nZ, 0)

This is creating a smooth parabola which is not affected by the ground height.

Oh uhm, if I described it too unundestandable, you could check out the system by pressing the link on my sig.

@ Scorpion: You dont seem to have negative reputation, so yes you can =)

Level 17
In my projectile system I found a way to make it move smooth over cliffs and such. I can tell you what I did:

Step 1: calculate a "smooth" linear function for the ground. I mean, if the startlocZ is let say 0, and the endlocZ is 128, the linear function would get the formula y = (128-0)/maxduration * 'current time'

So, in my case, I did at the beginning of the missile creation:
JASS:
set d.locZ0 = GetLocationZEx(x0,y0)
set d.locZinc = (GetLocationZEx(x1,y1)-d.locZ0)/d.timemax

At the loop function I stored the height in which you should subtract the "normal" heightparabola with, as
JASS:
set d.time = d.time+interval
set d.nX = d.x0+d.speed*d.time*d.cos
set d.nY = d.y0+d.speed*d.time*d.sin
set d.nZ = GetLocationZEx(d.nX,d.nY)-(d.locZ0+d.locZinc*d.time)
[...]
call SetUnitFlyHeight(d.missile,<Slope parabola formula>-d.nZ, 0)

This is creating a smooth parabola which is not affected by the ground height.

Oh uhm, if I described it too unundestandable, you could check out the system by pressing the link on my sig.

@ Scorpion: You dont seem to have negative reputation, so yes you can =)

thanks, I will try that later. For now I will use only the FlyHeigh ... meh ^^

Black Arrow

abilitytheblackarrow.png

Black Arrow

Shoots a powerful dark arrow at the targeted unit.
Casting harms the caster.
Targeted unit suffers some damage.
There is a chance, that targeted unit suffers critical damage, that is 2x primary damage.
The arrow consists of pure fear, so the armor of targeted unit is reduced.
If targeted unit dies, it releases Howl of Pain, that reduces the armor of nearby enemy units.
As targeted unit dies by the arrow, the caster gains hit points, but if targeted unit is a hero, there is a chance that caster fully recovers its life.

View attachment SS#17Black Arrow by -Berz-.w3x

here is my entry =)

@Palaslayer

The idea is good, but the spell need to be a bit more polished:
-the tooltip its fucked i can see |cffd980....
-I would turn the camera follow off
-I would turn collision of all blade masters off, and turn it back on when all blade masters hits it(would make your spell MUCH more smooth) now they hit each oder and it looks odd

-also remove those blockers and add more testing subjects :p

Urgh.. I don't have the time to finish up this spell.. if anyone wants to fix up this spell you can keep it but i dont have enough time and i dont know how to fix it in time..

The spell makes the hero jump 3 times and every time he lands he slams the ground knocking back every enemy around him.. Not horrible but alot of bugs and problems..

http://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/pastebin.php?id=rhc5w9

Level 16
This is my entry, it's only a simple and noobish spell:grin:

History:
~1.0 first upload
~1.0b fixed the animation
~1.0c fixed again and added death/stunned condition

impale.gif

Finale Strike
Ability Type: Active
Target Type: Single Unit
Effect: Single Unit Damage, Area Damage, Stun
Cooldown: 15 seconds
Mana Cost: 100

Description:Grab a target enemy into the air, dealing amount of damage to it, and slams the ground that causes waves of spikes to ring the hero in all directions.

Level 1 - Deals 50 damage to main target, and 250 damage area.
Level 2 - Deals 50 damage to main target, and 350 damage area.
Level 3 - Deals 50 damage to main target, and 450 damage area.

View attachment Finale Strike.w3x

finalestrikeni4.jpg

Last edited:
Level 30
Good luck to you all.

Time to submit my entry.

Rockfall
140841-albums879-picture8035.jpg

Summons dangerous rocks into the air, attempting to crush down your unsuspecting enemies with them.
Level 1 - 4 Rocks dealing 15-20 damage each.
Level 2 - 8 Rocks dealing 15-25 damage each.
Level 3 - 12 Rocks dealing 15-30 damage each.

*Fixed a problem with the damage.
*Added possibility to destroy trees.

Done as "blizzardish" as possible.
Enjoy testing.

Attachments

• Rockfall S&SMC #17.w3x
    46.2 KB · Views: 46
Last edited:
Level 30
  • Rock Creation
    • -------- --------
    • Set RFS_ConjurPoint = (RFS_TempPoint[RFS_DummyIntegers[3]] offset by (Random real number between 0.00 and RF_AoE) towards (Random angle) degrees)
    • Einheit - Create 1 Dummy for (Owner of RFS_Caster[RFS_DummyIntegers[3]]) at RFS_ConjurPoint facing (Random angle) degrees
    • Animation - Change (Last created unit) flying height to 450.00 at 0.00
    • Animation - Change (Last created unit)'s animation speed to 0.00% of its original speed
    • Custom script: call RemoveLocation (udg_RFS_ConjurPoint)
    • -------- --------
I guess the last line removes the location? Or did you mean something else?

Level 18
Ok, update ;)
Submission
Wild Spikes
impale.gif

Description
The Crypt Lord lets out uncontrollable spikes. Enemy units hit by the spike will be impaled into the air, taking damage.

Level 1 - Sends 4 waves dealing 75 damage to land units and 45 damage to structures.

Level 2 - Sends 7 waves dealing 150 damage to land units and 80 damage to structures.

Level 3 - Sends 10 waves dealing 200 damage to land units and 115 damage to structures.
Changelog
v1.1 Added Tree and Building filter
v1.2 Added 2 more comments and forgot to preload 1 effect >.<
Screenshot
attachment.php

Attachments

• Untitled-1.png
    Untitled-1.png
    548.4 KB · Views: 284
  • Wild Spikes.w3x
    50.3 KB · Views: 101
Last edited: