• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Megafyr's Terrains

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 19
Megafyr's Terrains

Terraining takes a shit load of time and consists mainly of replacing, scaling and tinting an insane amount of doodads, so I think I deserved the rep you just gave me!

I kid you. :) Have fun while looking through the terrains, and if you are uncertain of how I did something, feel free to ask and I will provide you an answer.

Picture 1: Orc camp
-- Cute little terrain I did back in the day!
Picture 2: Silent Forest
-- Nothing special, just a silent forest.
Picture 3: Norway
-- Here I was trying to remake how Norway looked back in the winter 2008!
Picture 4: Flying castle 1
-- Terrain made for the purpose of a mini terrain contest. Wasn't my final entry though.
Picture 5: Flying castle 2
-- Final entry! Here I discovered that by stretching unit models, their body scaling doesn't look blizzard fucked.
Picture 6: Walking with dinosaurs
-- Loved the series when I was a kid. Then, one day, while I was making a playable for my map I thought: DUDE! THIS LOOKS FUCKING ALIKE! So I made this cute little terrain.
Picture 7: Norse mythology
-- For a terraining contest while back. Now that I look at it, I don't get why I changed the sky so this ugly color, but whatever!
Picture 8: Inspired by fallout 3
-- Just got the game when I made this, and wanted to make something that resembled it.
Picture 9: Post Armageddon
-- For a terrain mini contest that I won! Yay!
Picture 10: Modern Warfare
-- Started of with making a forest, then the copters came, and etc. Don't really like it.
Picture 11: The Temple
-- Never, ever in my life have I spent so much time on a construction, and hell if I ever will! This picture shows only about 30 % of it, because I couldn't get the rest to fit, so screw it. I like only the construction.
Picture 12: Medieval Castle
-- For a mini contest I did not win! Don't like it now that I look at it.
Picture 13: Small World
-- For a terraining contest! Frankly, I love it.
Picture 14: The Barrens
-- Hate it. Scaling is off, and distand land is wrong. Might delete it someday.
Picture 15: Flying Cliffs
-- Wanted to make something special, and it got kind of special. Not that it looks that good though.
Picture 16: Minas Tirith
-- I believe this was the third Minas Tirith made here, and it's not all that bad.
Picture 17: Misty Lands
-- Experimenting with new light techniques. I like it.
Picture 18: Lonely Building
-- Wanted to make something sad, and I was successful. One of my best terrains, in my opinion.
Picture 19: Silent Death
-- Simple, but nothing bad about it. Was messing around with skies, when I found out the blizzard sky actually looks best.
Picture 20: Ruins
-- A prison, that looks dark and left. That's exactly what it is, and I like it.
Picture 21: No Imports
-- Doomed to be a failure, but I think I did well!
Picture 22: Steam Punk
-- For a terraining contest, and this is without a doubt my best terrain. I can't find anything to pick on, and I love everything about it. D':
Picture 23: Prehistoric Valley
-- Found out a new technique to affect doodads with lights, but it is a SHITLOAD of work, so I would not copy it.
Picture 24: Lost City
-- Wanted to do a crazy angle explotion shit, and look what I did!
Picture 25: Pre Cataclysm
-- For a contest. One of my best terrains, because it's so clean.
Picture 26: Post Cataclysm
-- For the same contest. HEAVY DESCRUCTION SHIT YOU ALREADY KNOW WHAT IT IS!

Attachments

• screen shot2.jpg
    screen shot2.jpg
    95.3 KB · Views: 2,854
  • Untouched Forest (2).png
    Untouched Forest (2).png
    1.7 MB · Views: 3,360
  • Norway(2).jpg
    Norway(2).jpg
    180.1 KB · Views: 2,947
  • Terrain Contest Submission(2).jpg
    Terrain Contest Submission(2).jpg
    49.9 KB · Views: 2,563
  • Mysteri submission 3.jpg
    Mysteri submission 3.jpg
    53.5 KB · Views: 2,596
  • Walking with dinosaurs (3).jpg
    Walking with dinosaurs (3).jpg
    214.1 KB · Views: 2,685
  • WIP Norse Theme 7.png
    WIP Norse Theme 7.png
    1.7 MB · Views: 2,719
  • Lonely 2.png
    Lonely 2.png
    2.6 MB · Views: 5,419
  • Post Armageddon(3).png
    Post Armageddon(3).png
    1.6 MB · Views: 2,489
  • Modern Warfare(2).png
    Modern Warfare(2).png
    2.4 MB · Views: 2,332
  • The Temple.png
    The Temple.png
    2.4 MB · Views: 4,870
  • CASTLE TERRAIN 1 (2).png
    CASTLE TERRAIN 1 (2).png
    2.1 MB · Views: 2,402
  • Small World 2.jpg
    Small World 2.jpg
    53 KB · Views: 6,957
  • BARRENS.png
    BARRENS.png
    2.4 MB · Views: 4,705
  • woho3.jpg
    woho3.jpg
    113.2 KB · Views: 2,130
  • Minas Tirith (3).jpg
    Minas Tirith (3).jpg
    164 KB · Views: 4,582
  • Misty Lands.png
    Misty Lands.png
    1.5 MB · Views: 1,964
  • Lonely Building (3).png
    Lonely Building (3).png
    1.1 MB · Views: 1,920
  • Silent Death (3).png
    Silent Death (3).png
    936.5 KB · Views: 2,030
  • Ruins.png
    Ruins.png
    720.5 KB · Views: 1,741
  • No Imports2.png
    No Imports2.png
    1 MB · Views: 1,834
  • Steam Punk ojj.png
    Steam Punk ojj.png
    1.8 MB · Views: 2,279
  • Prehistoric Valley (3).png
    Prehistoric Valley (3).png
    2.1 MB · Views: 3,237
  • The Lost City (2).PNG
    The Lost City (2).PNG
    1.2 MB · Views: 5,409
  • Before.PNG
    Before.PNG
    2.9 MB · Views: 2,081
  • Post Cataclysm.png
    Post Cataclysm.png
    3.1 MB · Views: 2,115
Last edited:
Level 10
There all really good :thumbs_up:

They dont seem like somthing you could do in a hour or less... there very well detailed.

Level 19
I really love your terrains. Together with Void, Raid1000 and MadseN you're my top 4! (writing top 4 because top 3 would make me not mention one of the best!)
Buttt..... here's the question!!

[walloftext] I like that second screenshot very much, and I'm trying to add that kind of ambience to some parts of the RPG I'm working on (follow link in signature). I basically want to know which fog settings did you use? Color etc... I'm not sure if you still got that map somewere at your computer, but if you could check that for me and would like to reveal it then I would be really glad. Or do you have any tips on making a forest that has to look a bit darkgreen because it is so "overgrown" that the sunlight can hardly get inside... Well if you look at that 2nd terrain you posted here you know what I'm looking for because that's 100% exactly what I'm trying to create for the RPG.
[/walloftext]

+rep

Teun Creemers.

Level 8
Your atmosphere is amazing in all the pics but you do need to work on making the doodads WOW us. In most of the terrain, the doodads are just there and you kinda look at them and go like, its ok. Netherless your terrain is amazing.

Level 36
Your atmosphere is amazing in all the pics but you do need to work on making the doodads WOW us. In most of the terrain, the doodads are just there and you kinda look at them and go like, its ok. Netherless your terrain is amazing.

I somewhat disagree with that. His use of rocks and trees is perfect. However, you are right in the sense that there isn't really anything that sticks out.

Level 35
Bloody nice terrain... I found my new love in the picture with the floating castle with the "well known" demon watching it.

Do you use a variety of different skies or..? And another one just for the heck of it - Do you know any good water water doodads / models?

Anyway I felt for some reason an urge to ask you about those two things, dunno why though. (feel free to ask me for something in return, like a custom made sky or something :wink:)

Level 8
Megafyr, could you please tell me how you make those atmoshperes? I could never make any good ones and since you are pretty much the best I've seen, could you tell me how to make the fog and everything look so good? Like the blue fog in the temple?

Level 19
Bloody nice terrain... I found my new love in the picture with the floating castle with the "well known" demon watching it.

Do you use a variety of different skies or..? And another one just for the heck of it - Do you know any good water water doodads / models?

Anyway I felt for some reason an urge to ask you about those two things, dunno why though. (feel free to ask me for something in return, like a custom made sky or something :wink:)

Good you liked it. :D

Lately my technique has been to use that white blizzard sky, and affecting its color with fog. Then add sky models from UTM to apply clouds. Water models are hard though. Using that water plane from UTM tinting it and adding shadow models beneath it, is in my opinion the best looking option.

Megafyr, could you please tell me how you make those atmoshperes? I could never make any good ones and since you are pretty much the best I've seen, could you tell me how to make the fog and everything look so good? Like the blue fog in the temple?

I think maybe the tinting of models is what makes you like my atmospheres. If you spend at least one hour tinting at every terrain piece the atmosphere never fails. ;)

Last edited:
megafyr used to be cool until he became good when it became the cool thing to point out all the horrible things in his terrains and ignore the good things ;))))))
aside from that, reviewing this, you have come a long way, my favourites are still some of your older and more simpler ones - silent death & modern warfare are super imo. norse castle and prehistoric valley are behind that, amazing too

Status
Not open for further replies.