• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Dark Invasion II - [ORPG]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 9
Arkan & Pidda Presents

DI2logo.png

Latest version: 2.14
Download: Here
Forums: Dark Invasion
Promo Video: (click YouTube - Dark Invasion II Promo Video for better quality)

Short introduction
Dark Invasion II is an ORPG that is heavily customized, deviating from other ORPGS.
DI2 features custom combat systems, loads of multiboards for equipment-, inventory-
, game settings-management multiboards among other things. An interactive quest system
is present, allowing you to interact and change the story as you progress.
There are just so many features to list, I think you're better of exploring the
game for yourself!

Players: 1-10
Fully B.Net compatible with Save/Load Code

Dark Invasion II has been in development since late 2007, this is not a newly started
project that will die in one week. Screenshots at the bottom!

Note: This is the sequel to my previous ORPG Dark Invasion.

Yet to be revealed.

These are some key features of Dark Invasion II, there are many many more!

A brand new combat system is introduced in DI2. This combat system is inspired
by games such as Secret of Mana and FFXII. You have to manually attack enemies by
pressing a button. So it's button mashing? No! Every time you attack your stamina
bar is reset, the stamina in turn (among other things) determine the damage output
you deliver. So rapidly pressing attack would result in 0 or very little damage.
A white bar will indicate your stamina recovery after you attack.

Damage calculation is different for every weapon type (there are 7 types).
Also weapon types affect your stamina recovery rate; daggers and swords allow for
quick attacks while 2-handed swords and bows are slower. Weapon types also has
different attack ranges.

When you attack there is a chance to deal critical damage (2x) but also a chance
to initiate a chain-attack that doesn't deplete stamina (think FFXII).

In DI2, the following attributes are used:
HP - self explanatory
MP - self explanatory
strength - used to calculate attack damage
vitality - used to calculate defense and buff/ailment durations
dexterity - used to calculate stamina recovery rate
magick - used to calculate spell damage
evasion - self explanatory
luck - used to calculate critical % and various non-combat things

Every spell has a unique casting time that can be aborted if desired. Channeling time
is affected by Haste/Slow buffs etc. When you channel a magick, a blue bar will be
indicate the progression.

Much like in DI1, magicks are purchased. Every x level, you are offered to increase
your level in White-, Black-, Green- or Red Sorcery. You can also progress in
a certain Sorcery known as Techniques (abilities that are suited for fighters and
have no mana cost). You cannot purchase abilities if your sorcery for that particular
ability is too low.

In DI2, you may carry up to 16 items and equip 1 weapon, 1 shield, 1 armor and
2 accesories. Inventory management is maintained in a multiboard. By using
the arrow keys, you navigate a cursor in the multiboard.

In DI2, you can accept 5 quests at a time, these can be reviewed in the Quest Manager
multiboard. When you finish a quest, you'll be presented with options that will
determine your alignment and rewards. If you're good hearted you will gain access to
the holiest magicks and treasures, though being evil will of course have its award,
the choice is yours.

Quests include both traditional monster slaying tasks and more sophisticated
missions.

Apart from fishing and mining that was available in DI1, you may now also attempt
cooking, crafting and thievery (almost every creep/enemy carries stealable items).

What I'm looking for
I am currently looking for a talented skinner to make custom skins for the 10 heroes,
visit this link if you want to know more.
if you want to be a part of Dark Invasion II and have this talent, feel free to contact
me and we'll talk. :thumbs_up:

Attachments

• 0511pic01.jpg
    0511pic01.jpg
    103.4 KB · Views: 2,763
  • 0511pic02.jpg
    0511pic02.jpg
    107 KB · Views: 2,448
  • 0511pic03.jpg
    0511pic03.jpg
    84.1 KB · Views: 1,887
  • 0511pic04.jpg
    0511pic04.jpg
    96.4 KB · Views: 1,909
  • 0511pic05.jpg
    0511pic05.jpg
    135.5 KB · Views: 1,825
  • 0511pic06.jpg
    0511pic06.jpg
    136.9 KB · Views: 1,329
  • 0511pic07.jpg
    0511pic07.jpg
    97.5 KB · Views: 1,567
  • 0511pic08.jpg
    0511pic08.jpg
    124 KB · Views: 1,838
  • 0511pic09.jpg
    0511pic09.jpg
    89 KB · Views: 1,988
Last edited:
Level 8
After playing Dark Invasion one, I was really looking forward to more updates to it.
Now seeing this, I'm completely amazed. Everything your doing with the multiboard, looks completely awesome.
I can't wait to see you continue production on such a great map, and I can tell now, this is going to be an awesome project.
Keep Working on it!
-Calvin

Level 5
wow this looks amazing. This could be the next big orpg :thumbs_up:

Just one thing... is that the only view? Or can we look from top view? and also, you got very few ground doodads such as shurbs, shells and stuff.

Level 9
There are 4 views at the moment, I could always add more by request.
The screenshots are from the first island you explore which I terrained, and yeah it's a bit lacking. I have another guy who's doing the rest of the terrain, I'll try to add more detail.

Level 8
Damn....
That was incredible man, I can't believe it. x_x
You've put a lot of hard work into this map, and I can't wait to play it.
The video was amazing and I'm sure if anyone else watches it, They will agree.
You've done some Beyond God-Like work right here.
I Hope development continues as plan!
Keep it UP!
-Calvin

Level 9
Thanks for your comments!

Im not sure if the stamina system is too good? is there any point to make faster/less damage strikes or powerfull/slow strikes?
If the enemy has little HP then it might be a good idea to strike before stamina is filled, also if the stamina is more than 50% filled, you have a chance of scoring critical strike or start a chain attack. So it can pay off to attack faster in some cases.

Level 13
Thanks for your comments!

If the enemy has little HP then it might be a good idea to strike before stamina is filled, also if the stamina is more than 50% filled, you have a chance of scoring critical strike or start a chain attack. So it can pay off to attack faster in some cases.

Its still pretty minor thing, I suggest further development on that system.
I havent got any good ideas, but maybe something like this will help you.
Fast attacks could:
distrub some spells, pierce enemys armor (extra dama)

Slow attacks could:
criti, criple(broken bones, unit will attack slower/move slover), bash

Using fast fast slow attack could create special attack. So basicly creating somekind of combos.

Level 9
Heh. Now everyone is going to think I stole my attack system from you =(
Hey don't sweat, it's not like I have it copywrited, I'm actually surprised why no one did it before (at least from what I've seen).

Well I saw you had a request for skins and I was really bored so I made this in 15 min (10 of which I spent on the face)... Do with it what you wish and edit to your liking. Its the thief skin btw.
I like it! It is definetaly better looking than the one I made!
You'll get credit, and if you feel like making more, that's great, I appreciate any help I can get :)

Level 3
I personally love the Combat system, how you can do more damage with more stamina. I love almost every system you have added into this game Ark, this is one i'll be putting on my top list to wait and play.

Also, Arkan, would you have any idea when you would be hosting a Public Closed Beta too a few of us Hivers?

Level 9
I'm glad you enjoy it :)

There will probably be a beta test (more like alpha, though most of the coding is done, there's still much terrain and substance left to be done) in like one or two weeks, I'll let you know if I need more testers by then!

Level 3
Arkan I think you should implement a way to view quests that your allies are on. Im not sure if you changing the quest system or not from Dark Invasion, its just really helpful to see if your teammates actually picked up the quest your actually currently trying to finish.

Level 9
>Dasious
The quests are shared by all players, so if a friend accepts a quest, you can see it in the Quest Manager.

>Sabertooth
Hopefully some talented skinner will show up after the map is released, otherwise the current ones will have to do :grin:

I am recruiting more beta testers now for an official test next weekend, if you are interested, apply here: http://z7.invisionfree.com/DarkInvasion/index.php?showtopic=509 (you need to be registered, and we test on GG-client / Garena)

Level 4
Looks like the dark invasion I are different story from this dark invasion II? I saw some dark invasion teaser on youtube is like undead invading human homeland...

Level 9
Looks like the dark invasion I are different story from this dark invasion II? I saw some dark invasion teaser on youtube is like undead invading human homeland...
This is the sequel that takes place some time after the first invasion that took place in Dark Invasion I (where you controlled the evil scourge).
In Dark Invasion II, you can decide for yourself if you want to be a good or a bad guy!

Awesome work, liked the 1st map of yours, but this is not even comparable, keep up the good work.
Thanks, I will!

Level 2
wow nice great map played Dark Invasion I for so long, and now we get to choose who we wanna be :thumbs_up:

Just a question, do the humans players fight the undead players or they can coexist with each other.

Level 9
All players are allied, also all classes are human or human-like. The inhabitants on the islands are both undead and human (majority undead, many human lives were taken or sacrificed during the first invasion!).

But just because the classes are human it doesn't mean you have to symphatize with them :)

Level 2
How long time, approx, do you think it will be until we can try this map?

WC3 is starting to bore me and all I do atm is waiting for this excellent (atleast I hope it will be) map.

Level 3
Pretty fucking sweet dude, looking forward to this. It's about time someone stepped up and made a good ORPG, looks like this will even bypass TKoK!

Level 2
Pretty fucking sweet dude, looking forward to this. It's about time someone stepped up and made a good ORPG, looks like this will even bypass TKoK!

lol @ comparing this with TKoK.
How about we compare aids with fever while we're at it?

Level 3
Uhh what? These are both labels Open RPG's and actually seem to have alot of the same concepts. Quite in range of comparison.

Level 9
A little update;

Alot of progress has been made lately. I will release a public version in a month or two. This version will allow you to access ~30% of the terrain and level up to ~30. After the release, I will update the map and unlock more areas, abilities, items etc.

Some professions will probably not be available in the first release, but they will be added soon enough.

Level 3
I hope this map will be playable for singleplayer because not everybody just like me can play multiplayer.

Level 4
Nice work, I checked out dark invasion 1, and I was impressed, but stucked on the first Island ~.~ Well, this looks awesome, Finally no, Hit, and Hit.. wait till the monster dies.. And to the other! Here you have to stay active, that's a pretty nice idea.
This could get popular, and I hope, it overruns dota!

Status
Not open for further replies.