• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Jungling tips

Status
Not open for further replies.

sentrywiz

S

sentrywiz

I need jungling opinions and tips. 90% of the time i go jungle and 30% of the times i mess up a build due to experimentation and either feed or i'm left with not enough gold.

Favorite jungling heroes (in order)
- Legion Commander
- Lifestealer
- Bloodseeker
- Skeleton King
- Void

Item builds (starting, jungle phase)

tango_lg.png

flask_lg.png

#Always - Atleast 3 tango and 1 healing salve

stout_shield_lg.png

#1 - Stout Shield - this saves lot of health in the early levels no matter what the hero. when playing -ap and jungling, i buy this rather than axe because of that survivability. i've tested with like 9 tangos and 2 salves without this and the health loss in insane, every 10 seconds i eat a tango cuz i didn't buy this. so i feel this is most important in jungling. also in 60% of cases i make this into vanguard.

quelling_blade_lg.png

#2 - Quelling Blade (or just axe) - second best, sometimes first when getting heroes with lifesteal (naix, legion commander, skeleton king) but not for bloodseeker when playing -ap

ring_of_protection_lg.png

#3 - Ring of Protection - extra armor early on is awesome as a jungler and often times the heroes i play have low mana regen so this item often is made into basilus and sometimes vladimir.

gauntlets_lg.png

#4 - Gauntlets - sometimes when i experiment, i go 2x these + axe and tangos. don't know if its right or wrong and it sometimes works for me.

branches_lg.png

#5 - Branch - don't know if these matter as a jungler i often spend gold on extra tango rather than a branch.

ward_observer_lg.png

#6 - Ward - i don't waste gold on a ward and i've rarely been caught and killed though i can easily have been vs more proficient player.

tranquil_boots_lg.png

#7 - Tranquil Boots - when i buy ring of prot, this becomes an option worth considering since it can be disassembled later on and its components re-used into other items. but i haven't experimented with this enough to see if its worth it

Last edited by a moderator:
Level 10
Ill take one hero at the time.

Legion Commander:
I'd like to start with recommending NOT to jungle LC, since she does well as an offlaner, safelaner or even mid in certain cases. However I'll give you advice on how to jungle efficantly.

Start QB, Stout and a set of tangoes, obviously you start with your E spell. Just punch creeps, avoid Centaur and Hellbear camps if possible, they're the worst you can end up against, since they're only two units. You want as many units as possible to hit you with as little damage as possible for more chances to proc your E. Ideal camp would be Kobols on small camp, Satyrs on medium camp and Trolls on large camp.

Continued skillbuild for jungling IMO would be maxing W first followed by E. Also do not be afraid to use W to heal and hit faster, if the game is going the way you want it, you wont need to be at full mana anyways.

For continued items DO NOT build midas. Go for phase boots or power treads and follow that up by a blink dagger to get easy duels.

Lifestealer:
Once again, way better to put in the safelane than the jungle.

However itembuild would be the same, stout, QB, tangoes. There's nothing much to say about LS jungle to be honest, it's fairly slow.

You probably want to build midas most games as lifestealer since he doesn't flash farm too well and needs something to help him keep up to heroes like anti-mage, shadowfiend, alchemist etc.

Bloodseeker:
This hero unlike the first two is an amazing jungler. Just go standard QB, stout, tangoes.

On early levels, try not to use bloodrage on yourself to get the heal, just get the creeps low and use it on them before your finishing blow and you'll get the heal without taking 40% extra damage from the other creeps in the camp.

As goes for item build I recommend treads/phase into blademail. With this you can just run at people you ulti and they'll have no choice but to TP out or fight you with your blademail on.

WRAITH King
Awful to jungle with, slow and inefficant, please for the sake of your team DO NOT go jungle with this hero.

General tips:
- You can't disassemble Tranquil Boots, so if you're not playing a hero like AXE for example, do not buy them.

- The only reason you would want to buy a ring of protection is if you're going to build a Ring of Aquila or Ring of Basilius (builds into Vladimir's Offering). And out of the heroes you listed I would only recommend it on bloodseeker.

- Use the Quelling Blade to cut ways into the trees. Use these little paths as chokepoints to fight only one creep at the time. This will make it easier to jungle.

- Remember that every time you pick a hero to jungle with, there's one less hero on your lanes. This will make them weaker and increase chances that the enemy wins lanes.

sentrywiz

S

sentrywiz

Thanks for your reply.

Wow i didnt expect you to say not jungle with LC or Naix, they are so good at it.
Build wise, i like phase boots + basher on both.
I didnt consider midas which could be great with lifestealer.

Im pretty sure you can disassemble tranquil boots, at least in dota 1.

Level 10
Maybe in dota 1, you can't in dota 2 however. People were abusing it to switch between arcane boots and tranquils (with axe mostly), so they disabled it like a year ago.

They really aren't that good at it, compare them to a hero like enigma and you'll see how much worse they are. For a carry, such as lifestealer, compare the jungle farm to lane farm in early levels and it's far worse. There's a reason pros rarely go for dedicated junglers.

sentrywiz

S

sentrywiz

Maybe in dota 1, you can't in dota 2 however. People were abusing it to switch between arcane boots and tranquils (with axe mostly), so they disabled it like a year ago.

They really aren't that good at it, compare them to a hero like enigma and you'll see how much worse they are. For a carry, such as lifestealer, compare the jungle farm to lane farm in early levels and it's far worse. There's a reason pros rarely go for dedicated junglers.

I see. I guess its good that the game went more fluid with not-defined jungler heroes, so anyone can jungle.

sentrywiz

S

sentrywiz

Tip: Drop Tranquil before engaging to preserve the cooldown, but be careful to not let it be destroyed, stolen.

That is some seriously risky play there. What's the reason for the drop btw?
Don't tell me.. they made it like blink dagger?

Level 22
That is some seriously risky play there. What's the reason for the drop btw?
Don't tell me.. they made it like blink dagger?

To preserve the cooldown. So that after killing the neutrals, instant 12 HP/second regen and you don't have to wait for the cooldown. Is it possible you didn't know? Tranquil Boots goes into a 13 cooldown whenever you attacked or you're attacked.

sentrywiz

S

sentrywiz

To preserve the cooldown. So that after killing the neutrals, instant 12 HP/second regen and you don't have to wait for the cooldown. Is it possible you didn't know? Tranquil Boots goes into a 13 cooldown whenever you attacked or you're attacked.

Its possible. I barely play dota 2, i stick to dota 1. And its waaaay behind on patches (who knows if it will even be patched)

sentrywiz

S

sentrywiz

They've completely stopped updating dota 1.

EDIT:

The opinion is split. Icefrog said he will stop dota 1 updates when there stops to be players for it or all of them move to dota 2.
I'm on the side that dota 1 still has a large player pool, but I cannot disagree if people tell me LOT of dota fans moved to dota 2.

Honestly idc if it dies or not. I'm not that good at dota. I maybe was at one time, where i played with real people inside a net cafe.
But those days are long gone and now i only play with bots.

References:
https://www.reddit.com/r/DotA2/comments/2zvegt/why_is_dota_1_still_a_thing/
http://www.playdota.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1404262
http://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/dota-2-723/dota-1-dead-257742/

Level 10
EDIT:

The opinion is split. Icefrog said he will stop dota 1 updates when there stops to be players for it or all of them move to dota 2.
I'm on the side that dota 1 still has a large player pool, but I cannot disagree if people tell me LOT of dota fans moved to dota 2.

Honestly idc if it dies or not. I'm not that good at dota. I maybe was at one time, where i played with real people inside a net cafe.
But those days are long gone and now i only play with bots.

References:
https://www.reddit.com/r/DotA2/comments/2zvegt/why_is_dota_1_still_a_thing/
http://www.playdota.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1404262
http://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/dota-2-723/dota-1-dead-257742/

My bad, I thought I remembered that Icefrog would stop updating dota 1 with 6.79 or 6.8x something. I do not have a source however, and to be honest I see no reason to play dota 1 other than that you don't wanna get used to source 2 instead of the warcraft III engine or possibly that you wanna play Pit Lord or Arc Warden.

sentrywiz

S

sentrywiz

My bad, I thought I remembered that Icefrog would stop updating dota 1 with 6.79 or 6.8x something. I do not have a source however, and to be honest I see no reason to play dota 1 other than that you don't wanna get used to source 2 instead of the warcraft III engine or possibly that you wanna play Pit Lord or Arc Warden.

i like the warcraft engine, idc about dota. i don't play dota 2 either

maybe i should rephrase. i like dota as a map, but if dota didn't exist i'd just... play some other map.
it helps alot since i play warcraft on older pc's and since it has an ai + doesn't require internet connection
= deep immersive gameplay with infinite replayability vs decent opponents.

maybe i'm weird that way and enjoy warcraft the most when i don't have access to internet and one of the
most replayable maps i play is dota AI version.

Status
Not open for further replies.