• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

6.84 is out

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 12
I don't know how many times I said this but again I feel like this is the largest patch ever.

In earlier times I played lots of DotA on quite a high level and liked every patch but now after not being able to play it for quite some time and being more on the newbie side it feels like many mechanisms are getting far too complicated, e.g. xp/gold sharing and comeback mechanics.

For me some of the genius in DotA comes from the really easy to comprehend base mechanics but if you wanted to master it you had to know and be able to execute a lot of hidden stuff.
Now a simple questions of "how much xp/gold do I get for a herokill" has a long formula as answer.

But then again I trust IceFrog more than myself in developing DotA, so just ignore me :p.

Level 3
ohh man, I'm super excited about this one!

will pretty much be like a new game, well not entire a new game, but like a mini expansion

Level 22
I don't know how many times I said this but again I feel like this is the largest patch ever.

In earlier times I played lots of DotA on quite a high level and liked every patch but now after not being able to play it for quite some time and being more on the newbie side it feels like many mechanisms are getting far too complicated, e.g. xp/gold sharing and comeback mechanics.

For me some of the genius in DotA comes from the really easy to comprehend base mechanics but if you wanted to master it you had to know and be able to execute a lot of hidden stuff.
Now a simple questions of "how much xp/gold do I get for a herokill" has a long formula as answer.

But then again I trust IceFrog more than myself in developing DotA, so just ignore me :p.

I don't think IceFrog wants the gold/exp system to be complicated. It seems he wants to balance it. It also appears he wants to make a game quicker by decreasing tower armor and making the extra creep spawn faster to appear.

I totally agree to you that this is the biggest patch. It will completely change the gameplay.

The point of this patch is:

1) Afk farmers are now dreadfully penalized for not being part of kills (good luck antimage bfury rushers) since creeps give less money now and hero and tower kills give more
2) Supports actually get a hefty bit of money for helping out (now you do not have to steal that kill to get your blink dagger, shaker!)
3) Wards are cheaper, which promotes more warding and counter-warding (and also, tango + stout + quelling blade now leave you with 75 gold, which is exactly one ward, making it so pub carry players who play a solo lane can ward their jungle or mid (against pudge for example) while laning with no help from supports)
4) Towers are now easier to destroy, which promotes early pushing
5) Spell lifesteal gives squishy supports way more sustain, making sure they can actually survive killing a few heroes (imagine lion with 15 sec cd on his aoe ultimate, and spell lifesteal, that's just freaking crazy, or shaker that echoes 15 units, or zeus' ult in the middle of a teamfight, etc)
6) Popular hard carry/ganker items now have upgrades (shadow blade for example) so that you don't necessarily end the game with a necessary 2800 gold item in your slot, when you could've bought way more expensive stuff, but still needed stealth)
7) Mangos provide more lane sustain and a chance to turn the tide of a lane fight, if a disabler support is getting chased but he lacks mana for stun, he can consume the mango that was until recently saving him from harrassment and then escape safely, OR he can use it to help gank the lane, even if he is out of mana
8) Moonshard not only helps you put the most attack speed into a single item without buying assault cuirass or mjollnir (in cases where you want PURE attack speed, and not to waste money into other things you might not really need), it can also be consumed for half the bonus once you get your 6th big item, meaning you're essentially 7 slotted passively
9) Holy shit Alchemist is now OP as fuck
10) Holy shit Alchemist is now OP as fuck
11) A lot of other crazy stuff mostly nobody anticipated would happen

Rui

Rui

Level 41
I don't have the time to play with so much work from university, but what is the deal with alchemist...? He can buy a 4200 gold item to then blow it for a permanent stat and life/mana bonus, that's it?

I also never understand this trend where they keep buffing already ridiculously powerful heroes (cheaper brain sap on brain + arcane boots more mana, chaos knight stun/damage increase, broodmother ulti buff and passive not an orb effect anymore, death prophet spirit count increase, od global astral imprisonment...) and nerf weak ones. Then an item like desolator gets a cost reduction... come on =s

Either way, I'm excited to see how DotA has changed in light of this update. Completely invisible Techies mines? LOL.

Level 9
this is why i hate Dota nowadays.

Seriously ? Lotus Orb?

And Legion Commander with Aganihm? Just give that bitch a Nightmare and both of his duel target will be afk forever.

don't hate the game, hate icefrogo :p

but yeah, this update is really crazy compared to some other updates imo. haven't played much pub lately but the pub scene is pretty much the same with the disappearance of the 6.83 tier 1 heroes (besides the occasional hohohaha and jugg). also i've been seeing PA mid alot lately, is this a thing now?

I don't have the time to play with so much work from university, but what is the deal with alchemist...? He can buy a 4200 gold item to then blow it for a permanent stat and life/mana bonus, that's it?

It also gives Aghanim's ultimate bonus! Meaning if you give it to Lion, he gains permanent mass ulti. Also, Alchemist can farm up a midas, boots and battlefurry by minute 11 now, he's overbuffed and gonna be nerfed pretty soon.

I also never understand this trend where they keep buffing already ridiculously powerful heroes (cheaper brain sap on brain + arcane boots more mana, chaos knight stun/damage increase, broodmother ulti buff and passive not an orb effect anymore, death prophet spirit count increase, od global astral imprisonment...) and nerf weak ones. Then an item like desolator gets a cost reduction... come on =s

It's not about balance, really, it's more so about having obvious tier 1 picks and heroes with more obvious strengths and weaknesses.

Either way, I'm excited to see how DotA has changed in light of this update. Completely invisible Techies mines? LOL.
But you do have a warning, however :x

don't hate the game, hate icefrogo :p

but yeah, this update is really crazy compared to some other updates imo. haven't played much pub lately but the pub scene is pretty much the same with the disappearance of the 6.83 tier 1 heroes (besides the occasional hohohaha and jugg). also i've been seeing PA mid alot lately, is this a thing now?

Sniper is still 1st pub pick, I think. PA was always a viable mid, since with bottle she can spam her dagger way more, giving her ridiculous last hitting ability, it also helps her get early momentum, and you should know you do not want PA to have levels and farm before everyone else, on pubs with uncoordinated teams, she's just not going to be countered at all, because blademail, MKB and Ghost Scepter just don't exist.

Level 9
It also gives Aghanim's ultimate bonus! Meaning if you give it to Lion, he gains permanent mass ulti. Also, Alchemist can farm up a midas, boots and battlefurry by minute 11 now, he's overbuffed and gonna be nerfed pretty soon.

It's not about balance, really, it's more so about having obvious tier 1 picks and heroes with more obvious strengths and weaknesses.

But you do have a warning, however :x

Sniper is still 1st pub pick, I think. PA was always a viable mid, since with bottle she can spam her dagger way more, giving her ridiculous last hitting ability, it also helps her get early momentum, and you should know you do not want PA to have levels and farm before everyone else, on pubs with uncoordinated teams, she's just not going to be countered at all, because blademail, MKB and Ghost Scepter just don't exist.

i see jugg more often, and he wasn't that nerfed despite being a top-tier carry last patch. also yes, i know PA was always a viable mid, just asking if it was a new meta thing, is all.

His pick rate has dropped, also win rate, he's legitimately nerfed, but still not enough.

He's imbalanced because he's strong throughout all stages of game, he gets early momentum, dominates midgame, and lategame he'll still own because nobody could farm because they were busy having to deal with him. Or he ends the game at midgame.

Here's statistics on jugg:

http://www.dotabuff.com/heroes/juggernaut/trends

Here's troll:

http://www.dotabuff.com/heroes/troll-warlord/trends

Here's sniper:

http://www.dotabuff.com/heroes/sniper/trends

Here's undying:

http://www.dotabuff.com/heroes/undying/trends

There are probably some more drastic changes, but those are really friggen' huge.

Level 21
Uh another of the countless dull updates of DotA...
DotA was never and will never be perfectly balanced, no matter how many damn updates will occur, it will always remain unbalanced for me so I don't really see the meaning of so many updates. People get really tired of this and start hating DotA.

New Updates = New problems
New Problems = New Complaints
New Complaints = Another Update
Another Update = People Get Tired of DotA

Deal with it Icefrog

Level 9
i've always thought of the updates as not an attempt to perfectly balance the game, but rather bring new heroes into the spotlight and remove those currently in it. imo this game is much harder to balance than other MOBAs due to op skillsets for all heroes.

also mangoes

i've always thought of the updates as not an attempt to perfectly balance the game, but rather bring new heroes into the spotlight and remove those currently in it. imo this game is much harder to balance than other MOBAs due to op skillsets for all heroes.

also mangoes

This. If you want to win, pick OP hero combinations (not OP heroes, mind you). If you want to have fun, play whatever you like.

Status
Not open for further replies.