• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Diablo 1 HD Mod

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 16
Diablo 1 HD Mod - Tchernobog

d1-logo-png.260428

This is a high quality mod of Diablo 1, developed by a small Polish team.

Webpage: Diablo 1 HD MOD

• 3 new classes: Barbarian, Necromancer and Assasin
  • Unique character class skills
  • New abilities
  • New items and affixes
  • New monsters, monster affixes, champions and drops
  • New quests, and all quests are available in multiplayer
  • Improved lighting system
  • And much, much more...

Belzebub - Complete single player version
Tchernobog - Incomplete multiplayer version. This project has replaced the Belzebub project

How to setup games: Multiplayer | Diablo 1 HD MOD

Update (09/02/17): Work on Tchernobog has resumed! The developer, Brightlord, has released a new update.

Update (07/04/16):
The Tchernobog version has unfortunately been cancelled. Brightlord, the developer's statement:
http://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/pastebin_data/3hfxmw/Brightlord.jpg

The incomplete version of Tchernobog is still available for download.

Last edited:
Level 16
Definitely my favourite too. By the looks of it they seem to be combining many Diablo 2 elements into Diablo 1. Fixing all the things that made Diablo 1 a little poor. All looks pretty cool. I'm really excited for this. I hope they see the project all the way through and keep true to the Diablo 1 art direction, atmosphere, mood and style. I seriously don't want this to become anything like Diablo 3. This is gonna be awesome.

Last edited:
Level 16
Just played the demo version. It only lets you play the cathedral part. The HD remake seems to have added lots of missing content from the original Diablo. Apparently Diablo 1 was rushed and they cancelled a lot of already started work. So basically this mod has new quests, areas, and bosses which all have original Diablo voice acting, etc.

Really great game. New items, now has yellow type items, heaps of new item affixes and many added game mechanics like weapons speed, frosting enemies and character specific abilities (although most spells are still earnt through books). Brings many Diablo 2 elements into the game. Fantastic.

Level 13
Sort of a random comment, but I liked the first Diablo the most. I havn't ever played Diablo III, but it doesn't really sound my style from what I've heard of it. I grew up when Diablo II was what was being played, but I preferred the first. For some reason, the concept of Diablo waiting in his dungeon for you was really appealing. It was as if, he isn't going anywhere and you have to face him.

Level 16
Sort of a random comment, but I liked the first Diablo the most.

You definitely have to play this game then mate. It's awesome.

Just finished a cool quest. There are puzzles to enter a new realm where a mage called Haradam traps powerful demons in a space like place. It goes into talking about Belial and Azmodan which is great because I can't remember Diablo 1 or 2 ever mentioning them until Diablo 3 just randomly brought them in.

Great game. Really enjoying the new quests, sounds, models and enemies. Even some current quests have a few interesting twists to them. The open beta hasn't brought in crafting or multi player yet, but there's still so much new content in this mod to enjoy already which all feels very native and fitting to the original Diablo 1. You can really tell the dev's took a lot of time designing this mod. Hope everyone likes it as much as me.

Level 16
Update on Mod: They are continuing to make small patches on the open beta to fix small bugs and some balance changes. But the dev's are still on a break, so no major changes have been happening (Don't ask me who's patching the game, lol). We'll have to wait for crafting, multilayer and other interesting features for a while longer.

Edit: My mistake. Crafting has been in this mod for a while now. I didn't realize at first because it is only unlocked after completing 2 quests.

Last edited:
Level 16
Have they implemented multiplayer yet?

Unfortunately, no. As stated by the dev team, development is slow. Multiplayer won't be coming any time soon sadly.

Here are quotes from some of the development people:

"This is just hobby programming project. There is 0$ involved. Its goal is not to ship product as fast as possible but having fun while working on it. Whole thing being playable is very cool but still a side effect Razz"

I asked why the dev's didn't provide a form of donating to the project as a thanks and to perhaps speed up development. They Replied:

"Mod will progress slowly and eventually be complete. However it will take much longer then people expect.
I dont think agresive advertising on internet will help it at all. Just create extra pressure and make it less fun to work on."

So this mod is just a bunch of programmers and artists who are having fun working on this project. Let's just appreciate the progress and their values. We'll need to find another game to play for now until multiplayer is finished.

Last edited:
Level 16
The developers have mentioned that they are currently working on implementing multiplayer!!!!!!!!!!!! Here's a video showing two players trading:

Don't get your hopes up just yet though. They also said this new feature could take a looooong time. Message from the dev:

Project is healthly

However there won't be any updates soon because work is being done on task that could take several years to complete. Very Happy

Last edited:
Level 16
Multiplayer has been released!! Current version is v0.093.

How to setup MP games: http://mod.diablo1.eu.org/multiplayer/

Multiplayer is codenamed Tchernobog. Currently in alpha stage where all system are not yet implemented and bugs are to be expected. The main missing content are the quests. Quests work to a limited degree, where NPC's do not offer quest rewards or quest dialogue.

Last edited:
Level 21
This looks really cool,i love HD remakes of old games.I have Diablo 1 at the moment since the only blizzard games i've played are WoW and the Warcraft trilogy.

Level 16
How does this compare to the Diablo - The Hell Mod?
anywhere I can read reviews?"

Challenge factor and replay value raised considerably
True to the style and atmosphere of the original Diablo
New player graphics (as you can see to the right)
+1000 named monsters (bosses)
206 base items
+800 unique items
Improved PvE balance, different PvP balance
New and adjusted magic items
New and adjusted spells
Singleplayer levels like "Poisoned Water Supply" are different on each difficulty
Hundreds of new and improved environment and monster palettes
Completely revamped experience gain
Improved & expanded monster AI
Additional, better balanced character classes
Optional expanded music add-on with improved quality
Unlimited item storage, shared between characters
Thousands of new gameplay features and enhancements
Full support for Internet multiplay through Tunngle(recommended), Hamachi and Kali
Native support for LAN multiplay, even with Windows 7/Vista
Hotkeys for faster spell switching
Bug fixes, lots of bug fixes...

The Hell has been in development since April 14, 2006, and still under heavy development.

Last edited:
Level 16
How does this compare to the Diablo - The Hell Mod?
anywhere I can read reviews?"

Most Diablo mods appear to add content, but they don't improve on existing elements much. This HD mod appears to be the only one which improves upon the fundamental aspects of the game to bring not just more content, but better content, providing the players with a fresher and more refined experience.

A few differences:

• Smoother lighting system
  • Added ALT key for easier item pickup
  • 3 New classes, where all classes have 5 unique abilities
  • Allies and minions have minimap markers
  • There is shared experience and disabled friendly fire in multiplayer
  • Improved user interface
  • Can fit vastly more potions into the belt
  • Added belt to character equipment
  • Many new item affix types, e.g. faster run/walk
  • Addition of green (set) items
  • Item crafting
  • Various bosses have new abilities
  • NPCs in town walk around making Tristram more lively.
The HD Mod does not have those Crypt areas or new monsters like The Hell mod does.

Last edited:
Level 16
I edited the last post
So I'm not seeing a difference other then it being harder and more content in the hell mod
Both seem to have the same specs making both mods an awesome addition to remastering the original
A lot of features though (such as the alt item find option) are just added from Hellfire, not actually made by the mod.
Hellfire adds one character class, the Monk, two new dungeon areas the Hive and the Crypt, a few new shrines, some new item prefixes and suffixes, a few new uniques (mostly jewelry), and new specialty items including oils and runes. Other improvements and enhancements include numerous bug fixes, the ability to move at a double-speed walk while in town, and the option to select Nightmare and Hell difficulty levels in single player. Griswold sells more items than he did in Diablo, and he will attempt to offer you higher quality items than you currently possess, making it possible to buy very high quality gear. A few new spells are added, and every spell can be learned by reading books, including Apocalypse, which could only be used from scrolls and staff charges in Diablo.

Either way, I think it's cool that they have a active d1 community that loves making the classic better. I think its cool that the guy who created the hell mod is also playing the new HD mod :)

Last edited:
Level 19
A lot of features though (such as the alt item find option) are just added from Hellfire, not actually made by the mod.

Either way, I think it's cool that they have a active d1 community that loves making the classic better. I think its cool that the guy who created the hell mod is also playing the new HD mod :)

Ok, you have confused me senseless. Now which one do I download??? The Hell, or the HD

If HD just steals from the hell, then why is the author of Hell playing the HD. If he HD has more monsters and 2 new areas, then why play the HD!!!

NOOOOOOOO:goblin_jawdrop::goblin_wtf::vw_death::goblin_boom:

Jumbo

Hosted Project GR
Level 19
Really they should fix the horrible 8-bit sounding melee attacks. One of the reasons I haven't so far been able to immerse myself into Diablo1 is the sounds in general, they are so low quality for the most part unlike in D2 where everything has well made sounds files. I dont blame the game due to its age, but those modders should fix it in their mod.

Level 16
Version 0.095 has been released. A small update claiming to reduce CPU usage. I'm not sure why there was no official release notes for version 0.094. thats yet to be disclosed.

Ok, you have confused me senseless. Now which one do I download??? The Hell, or the HD
If HD just steals from the hell, then why is the author of Hell playing the HD. If he HD has more monsters and 2 new areas, then why play the HD!!!

There have been several Diablo 1 mods in the past, all with their own design principles. Theres a Diablo 1 modding community as well, and within this community they have shared some of their code. All JCarrilo is saying is that the ALT feature for item pickup is not unique to the HD mod.

In my opinion, the HD mod is the best because it doesn't just throw in new features, it enhances existing ones to not just extend, but improve upon the original Diablo. I'd say its the most polished Diablo 1 mod available. The Hell Mod focuses on adding more levels, enemies, quests, items and adding their own extra storyline. The HD mod stays true to the Diablo 1 storyline and feel. It gives an improved interface, item affixes, item types, reworked mechanics, character specific skills, only adds quests which were within Diablo 1's initial plans, and more. It's all a matter of preferance.

The HD mod is still not technically finished. Its up to you to decide which you would enjoy more.

Really they should fix the horrible 8-bit sounding melee attacks. but those modders should fix it in their mod

I doubt this would happen. The sounds aren't "broken" so they don't need fixing, they are just of low quality. There's hundreds of sounds within the D1 game and the developer wouldn't have the time or resources to rerecord them all. Personally speaking, I'd be against using Diablo 2 sounds in Diablo 1 as well. The HD mod is developed by 1 person, Brightlord. He has one other person with him developing the website and updating users.

Level 16
Sad news for the future of this Diablo 1 mod. A message from the Brightlord, the developer:

Tchernobog code will most likely be released as downloadable .zip because project is dead for year and half and I totally don't care about it. It's several thousands lines of object C++ code. I really doubt anyone have: time, will and knowledge to finish it. Writing some code and having program work flawlessly on other people computers are two different things you know Very Happy. Honestly this code is not up to my standards anymore and I cannot willingly continue to work on it without starting from scratch.

It was great journey but it obviously ended for me long time ago.

This multiplayer project has been cancelled. The Tchernobog (multiplayer) forum has been removed. The website has been updated to provide additional information regarding the "completed" Belzebub mod (single player only). Brightlord says he will "probably" release the code.

Here is a printscreen of Brightlord's statement before the forum was closed: http://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/pastebin_data/3hfxmw/Brightlord.jpg

The incomplete version of Tchernobog is still available for download.

Level 1
On the other hand there are good news.
The developers of The Hell now develope their new project -> The Hell 2 which is in HD and supports higher resolutions.
The features of The Hell 2 are still unknown since the project has just started. That being said the developers will for sure revolutionize the project compare to The Hell and they are open to suggestions.

and

for more info you can visit the offical sites. The links are provided in the video's description.

Status
Not open for further replies.