• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Diablo 1 and 2 on battle net

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 24
It seems like Blizzard wants to put up their older games on battle.net so the first obvious choice is WarCraft III which will probably be followed by StarCraft and Diablo II, it might take a while before we see Diablo though.

Level 24
It can be found on the battle.net website yes, though I'm unaware if it works with Windows 8 as it has had some problems with WarCraft III.

Level 24
Why don't you check this out?

http://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/diablo-663/wow-diablo-1-ftw-248770/

This is a mod by some talented polish creators. It's got me right back into Diablo 1. Its fully compatible on modern computers. They are currently developing Multiplayer. If they were to host a Battle.net server to go with this mod, this mod could go viral. Its magnificent.

Looks great for such an old game and if it truly works on windows 7 and 8 than it's worth trying out.

Level 16
I always thought the Diablo: The Hell mod was the best remake of bringing d1 back to life, although they did make additions that was originally planned by Blizzard North, oh and it has Multiplayer (Non-battlenet though)

EDIT: Back on topic, Diablo actually was the FIRST game to ever be on battle.net. Keep in mind I am assuming you mean Bnet 2.0 which only the newer games are played on. Diablo II still has my characters on ladder that is on Battle.net and I can chat to anyone on d1, wc2, sc bw, and wc3 on Battle.net so its IS on battle.net just not on the B.Net 2.0

Level 11
I think two problems, which I take from the preceding posts, and in my own opinion, with putting Diablo 1 and 2 on the new battlenet is their respective game graphic resolutions, which would have to be upgraded to display properly on newer HD computer screens. Then there is the question if the current code is compatible with newer computer operating systems.

I think two problems, which I take from the preceding posts, and in my own opinion, with putting Diablo 1 and 2 on the new battlenet is their respective game graphic resolutions, which would have to be upgraded to display properly on newer HD computer screens. Then there is the question if the current code is compatible with newer computer operating systems.

There are already Diablo 1/2 mods that add high-resolution support render.

Level 14
I'm hoping that Windows's upcoming OS solves a lot of the compatibility issues that 8 had with so much old software. It pretty much went in this order -

Windows 2000 - Very mediocre
Windows XP - Great
Windows Vista - Mediocre
Windows 7 - Great
Windows 8 - Very mediocre
Upcoming Windows OS - Potentially great?

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 63
It also is highly possible that Diablo 1 is going to be released as classical game on Battle.Net. Just like the Lost Vikings and Blackthorne..
If it ever is released as a classic game for free (I think lost Vikings is?) then by all accounts it will probably become a major centre of attention for modders once again.

If it ever is made free there is also the question why not make it partly open source? However I guess people can raise that when/if it ever is released for free.

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 63
I could also link to sites where one can download all the latest video games for free, that does not make them abandonware or the download legal.

If Diablo 1 still has BattleNet 1.0 support (I believe it does) then it is not abandonware as the game still is supported by Blizzard (just not maintained). On the other hand games like Empire Earth (original) and Empires Dawn of the Modern World have a much larger case to be considered abandon ware as their multiplayer service shut down about a decade ago.

Until Blizzard officially allows one to play Diablo I for free downloading it without a licence is illegal in most of the Western world.

Level 11
I could also link to sites where one can download all the latest video games for free, that does not make them abandonware or the download legal.

If Diablo 1 still has BattleNet 1.0 support (I believe it does) then it is not abandonware as the game still is supported by Blizzard (just not maintained). On the other hand games like Empire Earth (original) and Empires Dawn of the Modern World have a much larger case to be considered abandon ware as their multiplayer service shut down about a decade ago.

Until Blizzard officially allows one to play Diablo I for free downloading it without a licence is illegal in most of the Western world.

I have the Diablo 1 CD, so I legally play it, but it is good to know that the link I found was a bad download, so others do not use it.

Level 16
I know Blizzard still supports the online play of Diablo 1, however they have announced they have stopped updating it via patches in pursuit of other current games. Same thing can be said about Diablo II, while it is no longer updated via patches fixes, it is still supported for online Play, so much that they still reset the ladder play.

Level 21
blizzard hosts the original diablo on battle.net but not hellfire as that was made by sierra. abandomware is piracy and as such the person that posted the hellfire link should be punished. there is one issue with diablo 1 on battle.net however and that is that it have to be patched first as only later versions is compatible.(i tested this myself.) i had to find the patches on other websites. it works perfectly in windows 7 but some times its colors glitches.

Status
Not open for further replies.