• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Zephyr Contest #12 - Combo

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kazeon

Hosted Project: EC
Level 33
160036-albums4747-picture59500.png

title.jpg
12.jpg

combo.jpg

combo-title.jpg

Design a spellpack (ability set) consists minimum of 2 spells (abilities),
which each spell should complements each other. The combinations can be:
  • A set of abilities that results in different effects based on their cast order.
  • A set of abilities that corresponds each other.
  • A set of abilities that needs a certain casting condition to trigger one or some specific effect(s).
  • Anything based on your creativity.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
rules.jpg
General rules:
  • No submission may violate any of the site rules.
  • If a submission does not follow the spell submission rules, the result will be heavy downgrading up to disqualification.
  • Your submission must be posted before the deadline. The post containing your final submission must also contain the following:
    • An in game screenshot showing your submission in action.
    • The file in the appropriate format.
  • Your submission may not be started/made before the official launch of the contest.
  • Judges may not participate.
  • Teamwork is not allowed; however, finding testers to help you with your submission is not considered teamwork.
  • Imports may be used in the map, however they must all be credited.
  • Any submission must follow a Work In Progress (WiP), before it is published and labelled as the final piece.
  • Either GUI or JASS may be used to create your spell; you will not be penalized if you use GUI over JASS.
  • Convenience over effort won't be an excuse to make use of third party programs (exception: Jass New Gen Pack). GUI actions that do not exist in the vanilla editor's database may lead to disqualification. WEU (World Editor Unlimited) and UMSWE fall into this category.
  • All spells must have documentation, regarding the use of each variable and/or actions (if needed). This will ensure readability and easier configuration for testing purposes.
  • You can use any enhancing system (xe, IsDestructableTree, Damage detection systems, etc.), as long as the judge(s) and/or host give(s) consent to its usage.
  • Map genre is not specified. You may create spells for any map genre.
Submission rule(s):
  • Each entry (spellpack) should be consisted by minimum of 2 spells.
  • Your submission should be in either .w3x or .w3m format. Make sure the map can be opened by vanilla WE.
  • If you have posted final version of your entry and you want to make an update, please, prefer to edit that post instead (which containing previous final version). If you made a new post, please, report to the host immediately.
  • Filename format: <username> - <spellpack name>.w3x(m)
    E.g. Dalvengyr - Duper Spellpack.w3x
prize.jpg
  • First Place: 60 reputation points and a special award icon
  • Second Place: 40 reputation points
  • Third Place: 20 reputation points
  • Remaining entries: 5 reputation points for each submission (for users with final entries who made it to the public poll)
  • Judge: 10 reputation for each assigned judge.
criteria.jpg

Criteria
[TD]
Description
[TD]
Max points
[tr]Coding
[td]Is the skillset bug- and leak-free? Do they support multiple instances? Is there any documentation and are there any configurable variables to fit the needs of any user? Do they cause performance issues upon effect?
[td]20

[tr]Creativity
[td]How creative is each ability executed? How unique is it? How original?
[td]15

[tr]Synergy
[td]How well does each ability of the combination pack synergize each other? Are they nicely complementary?
[td]10

[tr]Visual
[td]How does the skill look? Is it overloaded with special effects? How explanatory is the tooltip/description of its functionality?
[td]5
[tr][TD]
The final score will:
  • 80% come from judge's score.
  • 20% come from public poll.

Formula:
~come soon~
judge.jpg

entrants.jpg

(Count: 7)
Username[TD]Entry's name[TD]WIPs[TD]Final

[tr]
[td] [td]
-
[td]
-
[td]
-

[tr]
[td] [td]
-
[td]
-
[td]
-

[tr]
[td] [td]
-
[td]
-
[td]
-

[tr]
[td] [td]
-
[td]
1 2 3 4 5
[td]
-

[tr]
[td] [td]
-
[td]
-
[td]
-

[tr]
[td] [td]
-
[td]
-
[td]
-

[tr]
[td] [td]
-
[td]
-
[td]
-
[tr][TD]
date.jpg

Starting date[TD]Ending date
[tr]
18 Jan 2015
00:00 GMT
[td]
4 Mar 2015
23:59 GMT

(Extended to)
18 Mar 2015
23:59 GMT
[tr][TD]

Last edited:

Kyrbi0

Arena Moderator
Level 45
Hm, ok. I was gonna say, I'm more than OK with someone changing the rules & stuff (given that I've done so for both Contests I've Hosted as of late), with the hopes that things'll be better.

That being said, I'd like to clear up whether this is a (Zephyr) Contest more focused on "Coding" or "Spell Ideas/Design"... Because while I'd prefer (and usually perform via) the latter, I have come to understand that the more flashy, highly-coded entries tend to win (or even be the only ones that make it in).

Either way, I would like to suggest "Creative Warcraft3-Style" spells be added to the list; basically abilities that are unique, creative & useful while still mundane enough to be found on a classic in-game Hero. It could even be a sort of "batch" Contest (i.e. "each Contestant creates 3-5 spells"), if 1 spell of this sort is considered too 'simple' alone.

Kazeon

Level 33
That being said, I'd like to clear up whether this is a (Zephyr) Contest more focused on "Coding" or "Spell Ideas/Design"... Because while I'd prefer (and usually perform via) the latter, I have come to understand that the more flashy, highly-coded entries tend to win (or even be the only ones that make it in).
If you check the judging criteria (it's fix, I won't add/remove anything from it) you can see that coding has the most influence, but idea and design (creativity) has also good influence in it. bla bla bla.. gee, I was talking too much.

Either way, I would like to suggest "Creative Warcraft3-Style" spells be added to the list; basically abilities that are unique, creative & useful while still mundane enough to be found on a classic in-game Hero. It could even be a sort of "batch" Contest (i.e. "each Contestant creates 3-5 spells"), if 1 spell of this sort is considered too 'simple' alone.
Added

Last edited:
If you check the judging criteria (it's fix, I won't add/remove anything from it) you can see that coding has the most influence, but idea and design (creativity) has also good influence in it.
I suggest it be balanced.

Deleted member 219079

D

Deleted member 219079

Remaining entries: 5 reputation points for each submission (for users wth final entries who made it to the public poll)
Cool :eek:
Here's my spell:
  • Submission
    • Events
      • Unit - A unit Starts the effect of an ability
    • Conditions
      • (Ability being cast) Equal to Heart of Scheisse
    • Actions
      • Unit - Kill (Triggering unit)
Features:
-100% Bug free
-100% GUI and PUI
-Very lightweight, no FPS drop even with multiple simultaneous casts
-Unique idea​

Edit:
If a submission does not follow the spell submission rules, the result will be heavy downgrading up to disqualification.
Dang it! :(

Edit2: To be serious, when will the date be announced?

sentrywiz

S

sentrywiz

I want to join if this becomes official, but contest is not well explained. Its ambiguous
in many ways. So I have questions:

1. All spells must have documentation, regarding the use of each variable and/or actions (if needed). This will ensure readability and easier configuration for testing purposes.

What exactly is spell documentation? Trigger comments? Text file? The description box above every trigger? Explaining each variable, loop and spell logic?

2. An in game screenshot showing your submission in action.

Barely understandable. The rules are there but nothing else makes sense.

What kind of spells are we talking about? So basically I design 4 spells of any kind?

Do all spells belong to the same hero, unit, structures? Or I can design 4 spells that will be used by 4 different units?

What kind of map are the spells for? Because 4 spells for let's say: Melee map aren't fitting for a tower defense map.

I don't understand what kind of a map are the 4 spells for but I must show my spells in action?

Do I also have to make the map? Or just add random enemy units getting killed/damaged/healed/what not?

I'm confused until anyone explains this better

From what I can see this theme has gotten increasingly vague over time - granted the initial suggested theme didn't even have a spell count attached (a combo spell could easily be made up of just 2, I've done such a thing before) eitherway, presumably cast order or interaction are both applicable things for the theme, though 4 interactable spells is perhaps a bit of a tall order for many entrants, no? I'm personally fine with it (and have a fairly good idea of what I'm doing) though my entry will probably end up being upwards of a few thousand lines long to accomodate my ideas

Edit: When this gets underway I'm going to immediately write down my entry idea, been drafting it already for the past hour

Last edited:
Well perhaps the amount should rather be a "lower bound" rather than a limit, sort of a "at least this many" considering marking will be for the overall product it'd encourage creating more for those creativity/complexity marks (while risking efficiency marks due to doing more work) but really it's up in the air, as said I'm fine with doing all 4 myself, I just don't fancy a competition with very few competitors. If others are also fine with it I see no need to change it.

Kyrbi0

Arena Moderator
Level 45
If it's strictly "Combo" (as in Drunken Haze&Breath of Fire), I'd have a hard time seeing 3 (i.e. we should keep it to 2). If it's open to "Synergy" (i.e. Immolation&Evasion, or Holy Light&Divine Shield, etc), I can see it happening with more than 2 (i.e. 3).

sentrywiz

S

sentrywiz

So its all for one hero?

Also the limit has changed to 3 spells?

And what is the map theme? General AoS map?

Kyrbi0

Arena Moderator
Level 45
sentrywiz said:
I want to join if this becomes official, but contest is not well explained. Its ambiguous
in many ways. So I have questions:

1. All spells must have documentation, regarding the use of each variable and/or actions (if needed). This will ensure readability and easier configuration for testing purposes.

What exactly is spell documentation? Trigger comments? Text file? The description box above every trigger? Explaining each variable, loop and spell logic?
Well, I suppose anything (readme file, trigger comments, etc) would do, as long as the spell gets documented...* However, if you look at both the Spells section (for which winning Contest entries should be ready) & previous Contests (not to mention general coding guidelines), it makes sense to have documentation inside the spell coding itself; usually a buncha '//*****' comments & such, at the top & above every method/call/function/whatever.

sentrywiz said:
2. An in game screenshot showing your submission in action.

Barely understandable.
Not really?...* Again, check previous contests.* But also, common sense indicates that whatever your spell does, it generally is an 'action'...* So jump into the game & take a quick "PrintScreen" screenshot of your spell doing...* it's 'thing'.* Whatever that is, depends on you & what you do.

Last Contest I engineered a nifty unit-target mini-group-Teleport with sparkly ribbons & such...* So I took a screenshot of the guy mid-Teleport.* Pretty straightforward.

sentrywiz said:
The rules are there but nothing else makes sense.

What kind of spells are we talking about? So basically I design 4 spells of any kind?

Do all spells belong to the same hero, unit, structures? Or I can design 4 spells that will be used by 4 different units?
That's actually a good point, and something that hasn't always been quite clear in many Contests up till now (even some other kinds of Contests, too, like the Phoenix ones).* I think it's generally the former, especially for a "Combo" (i.e. "make 2 (3? 4?) spells that Combo/Synergize together, on one Hero of your choice"), but it could be the latter...* Maybe that would be an interesting creative twist (e.g. "Lancer enters Cavalry Charge mode (spell1), Bugler allows a Cavalry Charging Lancer to deal Flanking damage (spell2)").

Good question.

sentrywiz said:
What kind of map are the spells for? Because 4 spells for let's say: Melee map aren't fitting for a tower defense map.

I don't understand what kind of a map are the 4 spells for but I must show my spells in action?

Do I also have to make the map? Or just add random enemy units getting killed/damaged/healed/what not?
Another good question; one not often stipulated or defined.* I personally feel this is of great importance to a Contest, especially the likes of a Hero Contest (just as a, ohhh, random example:* imagine a Hero Contest where nearly everyone decided to make flashy, exciting, SFX-hogging & cinematic-inducing AoS heroes (with custom maps to showcase them ideally)...* And then one guy goes with his gut & makes a non-flashy, reasonably-creative-but-mundane-by-comparison "Melee"-style hero.* Would stink, wouldn't it? >_< :p)

Generally, though, we've ...* well, you know what, never mind.* I was about to say "generally, we've done it for a melee map/standard hero", but that's mostly what I've done, and I've usually lost...* to big, exciting, complex & SFX-heavy spells.

Welp, there I go again. :<

Good question.

I feel that a given Contest should explicitly state this kind of stuff; what map to use (usually, providing the same one for everyone to use/mod slightly), what style of 'thing' to make, etc etc.* This goes for Zephyr Contests, Hero Contests, Techtree Contests, Phoenix Contests, Modeling Contests...* Etc.* Very important, and so far not commonly utilized.

Kazeon

Level 33
If it's strictly "Combo" (as in Drunken Haze&Breath of Fire), I'd have a hard time seeing 3 (i.e. we should keep it to 2). If it's open to "Synergy" (i.e. Immolation&Evasion, or Holy Light&Divine Shield, etc), I can see it happening with more than 2 (i.e. 3).
I think you misunderstood. What we meant here was not synergization between two or more abilities, but:
Design a spellpack (ability set) consists of 3 spells (abilities),
which can have multiple effects based on their cast order.
I'm sorry guys, I don't have enough time yet to deal with this contest (still trying to enjoy my boring holiday). If you think I need to add something to the rules, please mention it here. Thanks in advance.

Design a spellpack (ability set) consists of 3 spells (abilities),
which can have multiple effects based on their cast order.
3 isn't the easiest to do on a hero (consider that the only ability which wouldn't be part of the set would likely the ultimate, it's a bit awkward) though is 3 being used as a limit or an "at least" here?

Eitherway my bigger question is with the latter: strictly "based on their cast order" is very limiting for combo spells (and doesn't actually necessarily allow all forms of combo spells to be included) for example if the cast order strictly matters then things like
Wind + Fire = Gigaflare
Fire + Wind = Gigaflare
would not be valid, even though it is a combo spell. However if you're expecting 3 spells where order always matters then you're asking for:
Abil1 + Abil2 = ???
Abil1 + Abil3 = ???
Abil2 + Abil1 = ???
Abil2 + Abil3 = ???
Abil3 + Abil1 = ???
Abil3 + Abil2 = ???
And you could potentially have duplicate combos (e.g. Abil1 + Abil1 = ???)
So anywhere from 6 to 9 combo abilities, plus the 3 base ones (9-12). My own idea has 11 abilities, but uses 4 base ones rather than 3 (Though I don't think I can disclose it because the contest hasn't started yet, but would be another example of a form of combo spell which doesn't care for cast order, but rather on another factor which takes a bit more skill).

(I'd also note with my first example it could have a different alternate effect, e.g. if wind is first then it has knockback, if fire is first then enemies are set on fire)

A big part of my point is I suppose is that if you allow examples like my first one, as well as examples like my second, then the important thing is more to do with how many total abilities you have, rather than how many base ones, and I'd argue should be an "up to but not needing to be this many" limit where you must meet minimum requirements e.g. at least 3 base abilities, at least 9 total ones and at most 4 abilities and 15 total ones or some such. That way you have a bit more leniency also on the level of "flashyness" as entries with 15 total abilities could be much more simplistic without sacraficing a lot of marks to those which are really flashy but only have 9

Edit:
@sentrywiz: The style of map isn't really important - the spells don't need to fit into any particular genre - many people fail to realise that all abilities can be modified to fit into pretty much all type of maps provided they have an appropriate configuration

Edit2: Also what is that "awesomness" criteria doing there for? that's entirely subjective and has no place in a competitive environment

Kazeon

Level 33
Eitherway my bigger question is with the latter: strictly "based on their cast order" is very limiting for combo spells (and doesn't actually necessarily allow all forms of combo spells to be included) for example if the cast order strictly matters then things like
Wind + Fire = Gigaflare
Fire + Wind = Gigaflare
would not be valid, even though it is a combo spell. However if you're expecting 3 spells where order always matters then you're asking for:
Abil1 + Abil2 = ???
Abil1 + Abil3 = ???
Abil2 + Abil1 = ???
Abil2 + Abil3 = ???
Abil3 + Abil1 = ???
Abil3 + Abil2 = ???
And you could potentially have duplicate combos (e.g. Abil1 + Abil1 = ???)
So anywhere from 6 to 9 combo abilities, plus the 3 base ones (9-12). My own idea has 11 abilities, but uses 4 base ones rather than 3 (Though I don't think I can disclose it because the contest hasn't started yet, but would be another example of a form of combo spell which doesn't care for cast order, but rather on another factor which takes a bit more skill).
I will remove that restriction, so the spellpack could be any kind of "combination", there is no limit, but minimum is 2 spells, no maximum. But spell count doesn't affect your score. Better? Sorry I write this while eating.

Also what is that "awesomness" criteria doing there for? that's entirely subjective and has no place in a competitive environment
Going to remove.

Kazeon

Level 33
I actually quite want to join this contest. Next 2 days aren't looking too busy, I might try to do a quick 24 hour entry.

Edit: Oh wait, it hasn't started yet. Probably won't happen then.

I'm very sorry man. I hope this contest is ready. This is my first time to host (manage) a contest and luckily the theme is quite unique more than the pasts. :(

Status
Not open for further replies.