• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Zephyr Contest #11 - POLL

What should the Theme for this Contest be?

• Other (PLEASE POST AN IDEA)

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Kyrbi0

Arena Moderator
Level 45
See here to get information about the contest-in-question. This thread is merely here to provide a Poll.

Please vote (not for all of them, otherwise you've wasted your vote), but more importantly PLEASE EXPLAIN YOUR VOTE so we have an idea of what people like & why (or why not).

Thank you.

Kyrbi0

Arena Moderator
Level 45
I really have no idea what theme I should vote for, I will just wait for the poll result :3 or maybe will vote for something later..
Unless you really don't care, I would definitely vote; voting helps move all this along.

Dalvengyr said:
but is that "Aura" theme has only a few variation?
Not in my opinion, no.

I voted for eight because well I had already had the entire thing typed however I failed to remember it gets erased when you vote so I will just post what I remember.... =(

I decided to vote for eight to allow variety so users can decide what they want to do and go with it so nobody is limited to just one theme this time. I realize how difficult it is to process and judge so if this idea gets selected I will enter and try to put all eight into one spell. =)

Basically I thought it was a cool idea and well at least I didn't vote for the ninth option as well.

Well that is all I can remember, sorry I did have a lot more typed and explained however I just can't remember it.

It seems like you guys have decided on aura though.

I think this is the second (or third?) time I've mentioned this - we haven't actually discussed anything in terms of dates for the contest. Again, we have to consider that exam season is coming up and this may have a strong impact on those able to compete. We don't exactly want a lack of participants. if we are to avoid exam season then I suggest having it end in either early may, or starting in late june/early july (obviously one of those dates is much farther away than the other) considering the contest should be open for at least a month (or longer if possible, for more participants) obviously if these suggested dates would cause issue for somebody, I recommend makinng it known as who can and cannot participate because of dates is rather important.

I know that if the contest would be run through late May and June, it would be completely impossible for myself to participate for example.

in summary I'm hoping it's either soon, or quite a distance away, considering the poll should be open for a week at least (as suggested). Also has who exactly is going to judge been finalised, or is that still in the works?

Kyrbi0

Arena Moderator
Level 45
I think this is the second (or third?) time I've mentioned this - we haven't actually discussed anything in terms of dates for the contest. Again, we have to consider that exam season is coming up and this may have a strong impact on those able to compete. We don't exactly want a lack of participants. if we are to avoid exam season then I suggest having it end in either early may, or starting in late june/early july (obviously one of those dates is much farther away than the other) considering the contest should be open for at least a month (or longer if possible, for more participants) obviously if these suggested dates would cause issue for somebody, I recommend makinng it known as who can and cannot participate because of dates is rather important.

I know that if the contest would be run through late May and June, it would be completely impossible for myself to participate for example.

in summary I'm hoping it's either soon, or quite a distance away, considering the poll should be open for a week at least (as suggested). Also has who exactly is going to judge been finalised, or is that still in the works?
Excellent points. I apologize if it seemed like we were ignoring you/that point; for me personally, I was slightly more worried about the theme then the date (figured we'd come up with the date in it's own due time). To be honest, I should be concerned about that; I'm doing poorly this term & need to give all the time I can to finals & such. I think mine are in late April or early May?... Either way, I'm not a big coder, so I wouldn't worry about me. :p

Kazeon

Hosted Project: EC
Level 33
Advanced artificial intelligence
I have just read BPow's comment and I absolutely agreed with him, it will be a super cool contest if so. it will be AI script war..

this is my idea, there will be a scripted war, as example: unit force one is coded by coder A, againsts unit force two is coded by coder B. But the rule is:
- no custom spell
- each unit force consists of exactly unit type, position (symetrical), and amount
- there is only one Hero allowed for each unit force
- the Hero must be the same
- yeah, everything about fairness
- who's unit force win the war, then he will be the contest winner

so then it will be something like tourney, so there will be 3rd, 2nd, and 1st winner
and coder is not allowed to modify their code after the tourney is started

sounds cool? no? just idea :grin:

EDIT:
another idea=

Flappy Bird tournament :xxd:

I have just read BPow's comment and I absolutely agreed with him, it will be a super cool contest if so. it will be AI script war..

this is my idea, there will be a scripted war, as example: unit force one is coded by coder A, againsts unit force two is coded by coder B. But the rule is:
- no custom spell
- each unit force consists of exactly unit type, position (symetrical), and amount
- there is only one Hero allowed for each unit force
- the Hero must be the same
- yeah, everything about fairness
- who's unit force win the war, then he will be the contest winner

so then it will be something like tourney, so there will be 3rd, 2nd, and 1st winner
and coder is not allowed to modify their code after the tourney is started

sounds cool? no? just idea :grin:

Might be a nice idea for a contest, but I definitely wouldn't put it for this one, better for something like those micro funmap tournament style contests.

Dalvengyr said:
EDIT:
another idea=

Flappy Bird tournament :xxd:

Yeah, no.

Here's my idea :

Aura + Combo + Blood Magic + Lucky + Growing in Strength = Supreme Aura Set with Deadly Payment

Why I like it? Because it's challenging to create a chain aura, while being wise as luck and blood magic are also counted despite Growing in Strength with each cast.

That needs Meth and Weed while coding.

Why? because it is better to submit your own physics law than taking that idea XD\

Well nvm, my original aura idea(w/c will be my submission) has all of that you said, except luck.

That needs Meth and Weed while coding.

Why? because it is better to submit your own physics law than taking that idea XD\

Well nvm, my original aura idea(w/c will be my submission) has all of that you said, except luck.
Honestly, you're making me laugh too hard :xxd:
Maybe you can add da Luck to the concept :ogre_hurrhurr:

Kyrbi0

Arena Moderator
Level 45
Well, I suppose that's the overall issue; that of timing. Early May would never have worked for me (Finals or Exams), while it appears now doesn't work for you (and later doesn't work for Dalvengyr). Lol. I don't want to exclude anyone, but we need a better consensus/idea of who-all would be available at any given time. Let's post rough-availability schedules.

I am MOST available now, through the rest of this week, tentatively/somewhat available for weeks afterwards (start Summer term or a Summer internship, but either way my time won't be entirely sapped til August, I'd say).

Level 25
Everyone who intends to join should just post their available time frame. See where it intersects the most and decide upon it.

Or... just start it now, put a big deadline (like 2 months) on it and make everyone happy since they can work on it when it suits them at their pace.

Like i wouldn't mind a big deadline if it meant more people could join and i see nothing wrong since i doubt we will get a lot of entries so the thread shouldn't grow so much.

Kyrbi0

Arena Moderator
Level 45
Let's start this December, and also start the Hero Contest #7 because there are so many contests that should have been done earlier.( UotY )
Bah. Let's start... now! :p At least the Hero Contest. I am so ready.

No but seriously, better latte than never..cino.

Everyone who intends to join should just post their available time frame. See where it intersects the most and decide upon it.

Or... just start it now, put a big deadline (like 2 months) on it and make everyone happy since they can work on it when it suits them at their pace.

Like i wouldn't mind a big deadline if it meant more people could join and i see nothing wrong since i doubt we will get a lot of entries so the thread shouldn't grow so much.
MOST AVAILABLE:
06.30.14 - 07.14.14 (next two weeks)

MIGHT KINDA BE AVAILABLE STILL:
07.14.14 - 08.18.14 (rest of Summer)

WHO REALLY KNOWS:
08.18.14 - 12.14.14 (Fall term)

PROBABLY UNLESS I WORK LIKE A MADMAN DURING BREAK:
12.14.14 - 01.05.15 (Winter Break)

So yeah. The sooner the better.

~~

To be honest, I never considered the effect on a contest of having such a long-term deadline. It sounds pretty alright at first; I just wonder if it would have any negative implications. :<

Kazeon

Hosted Project: EC
Level 33
geez, creating spell is not that hard and does NOT take much time. No more than 3 days I guess. But then just give one month for contestant to polish their spell. I really don't understand why it's really hard just to start this contest. Cz I believe many people have their holiday these months.

and I don't agree with something called "deadline extension" :)

Kyrbi0

Arena Moderator
Level 45
It can take a mere couple of hours to make a spell; however, that's not what people have in reality. There's sleeping, eating, and life's various responsibilities (school, work, church, family, etc), as well as unforeseen difficulties & accidents that get in the way. Hence a "contest period" (anywhere from weeks to months) to give people time; allowing them to 'schedule' such things in.

Still, I'm OK with starting now/soon. To be honest, I have forgotten my idea, but I'm sure I'll think of another... :p

Status
Not open for further replies.