• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Zephyr #13 - Theme Poll

Theme for Zephyr #13

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Time to vote.

Elemental
- Choose one element as theme for your spell. (fire, ice, earth, ...)

Model theme
- Create a spell that fits a chosen model very well, that was submitted on hive.

Uncommon
- Create a spell which appearance does not fit the standard WC3 theme. It should be something absurd, like by an unknown being.

Diversity
- Create a spell which concept is seperated in at least 2 phases.

Blizzard extension
- Retrigger a default blizzard spell. Modify parts of it, add extra effects/featues, extend it. But the spell philosophie should not change too much.

Deception
- Create a spell which focuses on trick your opponents. It should mislead the enemies to make bad decisions.

Note: The poll will end after 8 days, on 3rd september.

Last edited:

Ardenian

A

Ardenian

I guess every participant will more or less do the same concept/ spell for deception, isn't it hard to think of greater variation ?

Bribe

Code Moderator
Level 50
Here's some ideas off the top of my head if it helps:

- A trick to make a player think you have low HP but you really have a lot.
- Cast a dud spell to make a player waste time dodging it
- Transform into a critter to disguise who you are
- Drop an item that does nothing if the enemy picks it up
- Make the enemy think their HP is low when it is not, and if they get damaged it actually does no harm to them (requires a damage engine for that)

Ardenian

A

Ardenian

Hm, I still think there is not that much difference compared to the other themes and we are going to do more or less the same. Happy claiming...

How does this work, by the way ? Once the contest starts, do participants write what they are going to do ?

Bribe

Code Moderator
Level 50
When I had situations like that, I just judged based on which of the two were better.

Here are some more:

Making a unit think he is moving about freely, but when the spell wears off teleport him back to the initial spell cast point

Confuse the minimap with random nonsense

Disable shared vision for the enemy team

Surround your hero with a bunch of air units so the enemy can't click you

Last edited by a moderator:
Level 21
For deception, I thought of making fake items. For example, a Tome of Intelligence which gives -1 intelligence (so it's a tome of stupidity in the end XD) or potions of healing which are in reality poisonous potions that instead of healing you they damage you. Why not even a whole fake Goblin Merchant? A spell that allows you to replace a real Goblin Merchant with a fake one that sells fake items.
But since there are other themes I liked, I didn't only vote for deception but also for elemental (fire for sure!) and uncommon.

Here's some ideas off the top of my head if it helps:

- A trick to make a player think you have low HP but you really have a lot.
- Cast a dud spell to make a player waste time dodging it
- Transform into a critter to disguise who you are
- Drop an item that does nothing if the enemy picks it up
- Make the enemy think their HP is low when it is not, and if they get damaged it actually does no harm to them (requires a damage engine for that)

Or something that gives you temporary invisibility

Level 24
For deception, I thought of making fake items. For example, a Tome of Intelligence which gives -1 intelligence (so it's a tome of stupidity in the end XD) or potions of healing which are in reality poisonous potions that instead of healing you they damage you. Why not even a whole fake Goblin Merchant? A spell that allows you to replace a real Goblin Merchant with a fake one that sells fake items.
But since there are other themes I liked, I didn't only vote for deception but also for elemental (fire for sure!) and uncommon.

The hard thing about deception is that most of these kind of spells are worthless when you know what happens.
You must trick the other player even though he knows what is happening.
That is why I chose deception.

Lets say that that "healing" potion does exist.
Then I wont buy that item or at least not use it.

Level 21
The hard thing about deception is that most of these kind of spells are worthless when you know what happens.
You must trick the other player even though he knows what is happening.
That is why I chose deception.

Lets say that that "healing" potion does exist.
Then I wont buy that item or at least not use it.

The deception is that you do not know if the merchant is real. If you decide not to buy anything, then it will give an advantage to the enemy. That was just an idea of mine but if the contest will start I'll think about something smarter.

Level 24
But how will the fake merchant replace the original merchant?
That is something that your opponent also knows because your opponent has used this spell before as well (in theory cause this would mean that for everyone that uses it, there was someone else who did it before which causes an infinite loop and destroys your mind because you cant handle it...).

Back to the topic.
Deception of the highest quality is making the opponent think things that arent meant to be.
The problem about these things is that there is always something that blocks the logic.
In real professional gaming, a true deception is almost only made using a secondary force.

In League of Legends, I remember a movie of a the that saved the day.
LeBlanc has a passive that when she falls under ...% hp, she vanishes for a moment and then appears together with a mirror image.
For allies, it is obvious who is who cause the fake has a different color.
For enemies, it is not so easy to see who is who cause they couldnt see the apprearance of the clone nor see any difference (except for damage dealt which is 0 by the clone).
Shen has an ult that he shield an allied champion across the map and teleports to him/her.

Shen used his ult on the clone of leblanc, causing the enemy to think that the clone has more priority to them than the other who they just let walk back to base...
Ofcourse it was only when the clone disappeared that the enemy found out that that was total deception.

So, in this example, the secondary force (Shen) is the ONLY reason why the enemy would only focus the mirror image.
That simple ability that has no deception at all and everyone knows what it does is the one that made the deception a true one.

It is a hard topic, but I am confident that it is worth the time.

Ardenian

A

Ardenian

I will give up the moment the big boys join as always!
I am not that naive x), choose your battles wisely as they say.

I wonder, why ?
Is there something like a secret thingy that participants using Jass or vJass are favoured or something like this ?

I mean, if you have an idea and you can execute it, where is the problem then with challenging experienced coders ?

Chaosy

Tutorial Reviewer
Level 40
I wouldn't try to apply for the world championship in football just because I am decent at it. It would be a waste of time, and it would just make me seem pathetic in comparison to the 'pros'. I can go on for a while if you want to hear more reasons to not take water over your head.

It's like a murloc brawling with Illidan.

edit: If you join for improvement you can just upload to the spell section and the moderator will review your spell just like here.

Level 24
@Chaosy
So in fact, only one person has to join right? The winner.
However there are multiple components to be judged and they have very little connection to each other.
I am 99.99% sure that there wont be 1 entry that beats all others in every part.
And next to that, it is just nice to compare stuff :D

Chaosy

Tutorial Reviewer
Level 40
Oh great, I started a debate..

But you wouldn't lose anything in the process, aside from time.
Pride, confidence, (possibly) good mood. Might as well create a spell and upload to the spell section, no deadline and no theme forcing, no pressure.. Straight of better if you know you got 0 chance to win.

@Chaosy
However there are multiple components to be judged and they have very little connection to each other.
I am 99.99% sure that there wont be 1 entry that beats all others in every part.
No. Those who have a chance of winning, you said it yourself. There are multiple components. Hive's best coder (whoever that is.) might make a flawless spell code wise, but the concept itself is dull. Which might make Hive's third best coder win because he simply had a better concept.
If you're at rank 100 however..

For example, in football there are divisions to make a match fair and enjoyable. My local football club (division 2) will never, ever, face a championship team.

Level 21
@Chaosy

Exactly...
Ah btw for the merchant, it would be triggered. The true one would be replaced with a fake one with the "Replace" trigger so that the change isn't noticed. Even if it is already fake, it will be replaced by another fake one so no infinite loops or bugs. Well, this idea would fit for a map with many merchants so I should really think about something else.

@Chaosy, you are the classic guy "I join to win, not to receive criticism and/or have fun". You won't lose your pride if you're even the last one amongst the contestants. You will also receive useful critiques for improvements so I don't really see what you gotta lose. Anyway, it's your decision, I won't force you to join if you don't want.

Kyrbi0

Arena Moderator
Level 45
I mean, if you have an idea and you can execute it, where is the problem then with challenging experienced coders ?
Well, ostensibly the Contest & it's Criteria are set up in a way that, regardless of the style of coding used, a participant can expect fair Judging.

However, it has been my experience that GUI + Object-Editor-Workarounds are compared unfavorably to (v)JASS code.

Still, if I have time & an idea, I'll join; though voting for "Model Theme" & "Elemental" doesn't look like it's going far. :< "Deception" will be a bit difficult for me. Meh.

Status
Not open for further replies.