• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Techtree Contest #10 - Mythology

Status
Not open for further replies.
Spellbound is the MVP of the thread so far... I'll admit, while I originally liked the idea of including fictional, current mythos (Cthulhu, LotR, etc), I'm getting worried that people are just eschewing research altogether & simply making it all up.

You're too kind :p. It's also ironic considering I was annoyed by the theme during the polls. Now I'm like, this can work.
It's still inferior to Elements tho *runs away*

Level 9
Perhaps Tengri, that means Hunz!

Or... Underworld?
Means skeletons and other hades' goodies..

Or Azgard!
Get those Azgardians and Storm Giants

For Cuthulu.. maybe..

Forgotten Rubble----> Nameless Ruins ----> Ancient City

Custom gold harvesting system is complete.Thinking about changing the town hall's model tho...

@Sunreaver:You could just simply copy paste a human setup (undead setup is a bit too complicated),find your hall,workers and heroes' id and fill it in the underlined area.

Attachments

• WIP.png
    WIP.png
    618.3 KB · Views: 184
Level 12
I will make Chinese Mythology, could i include human soldiers all all mythical creatures.
Worshiping certain Gods unlocks Myth Units.
Edit-Can u remove the trigger rule i don't know how to edit jass

It's best that you follow the techtree that all base game races uses
Also I'm not removing the trigger rule because the system used is one of the best and it has a tutorial

Custom gold harvesting system is complete.Thinking about changing the town hall's model tho...

@Sunreaver:You could just simply copy paste a human setup (undead setup is a bit too complicated),find your hall,workers and heroes' id and fill it in the underlined area.

@Sunreaver:Or that.

Subscribing so i can follow this and see how it turns out.

3 months is a long time, if I get some free time and have an idea I might participate again, who knows (tho I do not really love the theme :p).

Good luck to all, have fun, hoping to see quality work.

I hope so too

Little news: i'll start to work on my race next week

Looking good!

It's best that you follow the techtree that all base game races uses
Is it possible to have unconventional tech trees, though? The idea I'm contemplating doesn't even use the basic race format.

N41

N41

Level 7
BlackRangerXIII said:
That's a replacement set of scripts for the map initialization script used by melee maps
Don't understand yet :sad:

Reserving this!

Few more questions
-Are icons from other image sources allowed? (Can't be credited probably)
-Are icons made out of THW resources/artwork (partial/complete) allowed?
-Are self-made (not approved anywhere) resources allowed?
-Are resources from any other site (other than THW) allowed?

Level 12
Don't understand yet :sad:

Reserving this!

Few more questions
-Are icons from other image sources allowed? (Can't be credited probably)
-Are icons made out of THW resources/artwork (partial/complete) allowed?
-Are self-made (not approved anywhere) resources allowed?
-Are resources from any other site (other than THW) allowed?

That is used to allow playing the race you've made

Egypt, That's cool

Answers:
1-Yes (Must be credited)
2-Yes (Must credit the original author)
3-Yes (Self made resources are exempt from credits)
4-Yes (Must be credited) - (Kinda of a stupid question)

Level 16
Why not? Races who build on blightlike aera might look slightly better on something else than the standard blight.
My good lad i just saw that maps scripts, boy there ugly, i hope it's not a problem if i use my own startup scripts.

Level 12
Why not? Races who build on blightlike aera might look slightly better on something else than the standard blight.

Blight, for me, is not a tile but a gameplay feature so it can be changed

My good lad i just saw that maps scripts, boy there ugly, i hope it's not a problem if i use my own startup scripts.

During this contest you will use the provided scripts but if you wish, you may provide a new one to be used on future contests

Level 12
I dont know JASS, nor have NewGen Jass. Can we have a GUI version of the system?

I can handle myself with ease with GUI yet some explanation on how to use the system would also be vastly useful.

No
Not until we figure a replacement

The is a link at Original Page
and also
Get JNGP, it will make your life easier

Level 14
What is the point of this rule anyways?

I understand it is a good system and contestants are encouraged to use it! But if it's a back draw for many contestants I think it shouldn't be obligatory to use it. If you want the picking of the race to be identical for all the contestants, the rule should rather be: "Each custom race must be playable by picking Undead race with 90% handicap, you may use the provided Custom Race System to make it so." and be done with it.

Another question; I have some units in my race from a mythology. But to make the race working in a melee game, i have to implement units for certain roles. (For example, my mythology doesn't have spell casters/units imbued with magic) I hope its not an issue if I just make those up and don't reference them to any mythology.

Level 18

I understand it is a good system and contestants are encouraged to use it! But if it's a back draw for many contestants I think it shouldn't be obligatory to use it. If you want the picking of the race to be identical for all the contestants, the rule should rather be: "Each custom race must be playable by picking Undead race with 90% handicap, you may use the provided Custom Race System to make it so." and be done with it.

I agree completly with this line of thinking. The theme is "Mythology" not "Mythology done with Jass". Also I don´t see any backdraw in doing a custom faction selector, that follows the 90% handicap directive.

IMO a bigger discussion on this point is silly, lets get as many people on board as possible. Many entries would be delightful.

Another question; I have some units in my race from a mythology. But to make the race working in a melee game, i have to implement units for certain roles. (For example, my mythology doesn't have spell casters/units imbued with magic) I hope its not an issue if I just make those up and don't reference them to any mythology.

Every Mythology had its worshipers, and also its slaves. I don´t see any problem in bringing non-mythological units as long as they have some sort of relation with your main mythos.

I don´t think that 100% of the army should be mythical creatures, yet the whole army must have a consistency. No roman gods fighting together with mayan warriors XD.

Last edited:
Level 12

I agree completly with this line of thinking. The theme is "Mythology" not "Mythology done with Jass". Also I don´t see any backdraw in doing a custom faction selector, that follows the 90% handicap directive.

IMO a bigger discussion on this point is silly, lets get as many people on board as possible. Many entries would be delightful.

So you're saying that by using the Custom race System I'm limiting the contest to JASS? WRONG!!!
The system is the only thing required in the map the rest you can use GUI or JASS or VJASS or whatever you want.
So try not to misinterpret things again ok

Every Mythology had its worshipers, and also its slaves. I don´t see any problem in bringing non-mythological units as long as they have some sort of relation with your main mythos.

I don´t think that 100% of the army should be mythical creatures, yet the whole army must have a consistency. No roman gods fighting together with mayan warriors XD.

It's recommended to combine Mythological and Non-Mythological units at the same time, if you're planning to make a fully complete race based on the chosen mythology

Level 18
Age 1 god: [Nuwa]-Bashe=Has a weak attack but can devour enemies
[Tu Di Gong]-Beshie=Sandstorm

Age 2 God: [Chai Shen]-Pixiu=Generates coin
[Nezha]-Bifang=Incinerates enemies

Age 3 God: [Yama]-Soulsnatcher=Possession
[Eight Immortals]-Nine Tails=Seduction

Age 4 God: [Jade Emperor]-Tianlong=Evasion+High damage and hp
[Queen Mother of West]-Qilin=Life and Mana Regeneration aura

Myth Units doesn't cost resources they can be summon at the Temple[Good] or the Pagoda[Evil]
Pixiu come in pairs

Last edited:
Level 16
So you're saying that by using the Custom race System I'm limiting the contest to JASS? WRONG!!!
The system is the only thing required in the map the rest you can use GUI or JASS or VJASS or whatever you want.
So try not to misinterpret things again ok

It's recommended to combine Mythological and Non-Mythological units at the same time, if you're planning to make a fully complete race based on the chosen mythology

SO if i don't even know how to start that Jass thing ( i never touched jass in my life) Im prohibited from using my own gui system which works in the same way? That's retarded.
None of the previous contests had such an idiotic rule.

Level 12
SO if i don't even know how to start that Jass thing ( i never touched jass in my life) Im prohibited from using my own gui system which works in the same way? That's retarded.
None of the previous contests had such an idiotic rule.

It's only for this contest ok
There's a link to the system's page on the original post
and jass is simpler because of the JNGP.

Besides it's a good practice

Level 16
Nope i'm out cya next time.
Forcing people to use jass should be considered a crime as i worked in wc3 editor for over 10 years and never even touched that stuff.

Ok, granted that being forced to use the custom race vJASS library is stretching it a bit, but it's hardly the end of the world, people. Srsly.

Create a new trigger, convert it to custom script (Edit > Convert to Custom Text) and delete all the code in it. You don't need those. Then past the following in it's place:

JASS:
library YourCustomRaceNameSetup initializer Init requires CustomRaceSystem

private function Init takes nothing returns nothing
        local CustomRace c = CustomRace.create("YourCustomRaceName",RACE_NIGHTELF,0.9)
        call c.setTownHall('ffr1')                  // Your Town Hall
        call c.addWorkerType('h006',c.NEAR_MINE,1)  // This will create a unit near the gold mine. The 1 is for the amount of units created.
        call c.addWorkerType('h000',c.NEAR_HALL,2)  // This will create a unit near the town hall. You can have only one of those if you desire, but this is neat if you have 2 worker types like the undead (Acolyte for gold, Ghoul for lumber)
        call c.addHeroType('U001')                  // Hero Type 1
        call c.addHeroType('N006')                  // Hero Type 2
        call c.addHeroType('U000')                  // Hero Type 3
        call c.addHeroType('N000')                  // Hero Type 4
        call c.setAIScript("undead.ai") //Optional for computer players. You can skip this
    endfunction

endlibrary

YourCustomRaceName can be whatever you want it to be. That's it. You can forget about JASS or vJASS now. GUI to your heart's content.

PS: 'ffr1' and 'h006' are your unit IDs. Find them buy going to the world editor and pressing Ctrl + D. For custom units it will show it's actual ID, then the ID it's based off. For instance, a code of e000:eswp means that the actual ID of the unit is e000. eswp is the ID it's based of.

Rocket Science

Last edited:
Oh I forgot to mention, if you have a Haunted or Entangled gold mine, just copy the Undead or Night Elf Setup triggers and replace the values accordingly. I haven't tested those so I'm operating under the assumption that:

Entangled Gold Mine:
- Your town hall has to have the Root ability, and a your custom Engtangle Gold Mine ability.
- Your custom entangled mine needs to have the Entangled Gold Mine ability.

Haunted Gold Mine:
- You workers are of the Undead race - this is necessary to make the buildings they build to be summonable. Building a Haunted Gold Mine while not Undead will set the gold value inside the Mine to 0.
- Your Workers can build the custom Haunted Gold Mine.
- Your custom Haunted Gold Mine ha the Blighted Gold Mine ability.
I looked at the code for BlightGoldMineForPlayerBJ and it doesn't seem like it states anywhere the new ID of the Custom gold mine. If you're having trouble making custom Haunted Gold Mines work, lemme know.

if you have any problems, I'll try to answer them for you.

I think the vanilla races need to remain untouched for reference reasons. Like you can test the new race by pitting them vs Humans/Orcs/Night Elves/Undead and see how they fare. It's all about adding a new race.

As far as GUI version of Custom Race System goes, idk, I took a peek at the vJASS resource and there's a lot of stuff in there. Not something people would want to meddle with for the sake of making it GUI.

Level 16
If someone needs a gui system i have a working one but ranger said its against the rules and you HAVE TO use tha jass system.

Level 16
<facepalm>
How does it help them? Let's count people who use jass on a competitive level are just a few people on the site because wc3 is dead and most of them already quit. Gui is the basic warcraft 3 scripting way and can be learned by trial and error on a graphical basis. Editing triggers is quite the same as editing an unit.
As i said in our earlier conversation, giving people the freedom of choice to do it either way jass/ gui whatever they prefer, but lets say the basic meele map rules have to be applied. That way there would'n be even such a problem. In previous contests if someone could'nt script the triggers he usually asked someone for help and there was no issue, i don't understand why is this time different.

Status
Not open for further replies.