• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Playable Terrain Contest?

Status
Not open for further replies.

fladdermasken

Off-Topic Moderator
Level 39
I like it. The last ones we had were contests #5 (Winter Wonderland) and #10 (Surrealism).

We haven't actually, in the standard or playable contests, had a desert theme. Any takers?

Also by playable, do you mean with full pathing? Would that play into the judging?

Level 23
We haven't actually, in the standard or playable contests, had a desert theme. Any takers?

You have my attention.

Also by playable, do you mean with full pathing? Would that play into the judging?

Not sure how we would judge that field while keeping it meaningful in any way.
- One can easily create much more detailed paths by spamming the smallest blockers. Though not something that's a good idea in an actual playable map.
- How detailed the pathing is would also depend on the genre/map the terrain is being designed for. eg. How you use pathing in a map with teleports is very different than one without.

Deleted member 238226

D

Deleted member 238226

no imports sounds interesting.

Level 36
I'm certainly keen on the idea, although I do wonder about the same thing as fladder,
do you mean playable in the sense that pathing will be a central part of the judging or
"playable" as in a terrain template that can be viewed in the editor, which could be
used to make a playable terrain? I prefer the latter.

Also, no, never "no imports."

Level 23
I'm certainly keen on the idea, although I do wonder about the same thing as fladder,
do you mean playable in the sense that pathing will be a central part of the judging or
"playable" as in a terrain template that can be viewed in the editor, which could be
used to make a playable terrain? I prefer the latter.

Definitely the latter.
The first definition has very little to do with terraining and is quite abuseable when in the context of a contest. IMO it shouldn't factor in at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.