• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Modeling Contest #25: Dualism

Status
Not open for further replies.
160036-albums4747-picture59500.png

modeling.png
contest.png

number.png
2.png
5.png

204270-albums4807-picture71859.gif

Dualism

A contestant will create a hero/none-hero unit having two identities (Alternate Form).
Examples: Weak-Strong, Funny-Serious, fast-slow, etc.

-------------------------------------------------

contest%20rules%20and%20conditions.png
1. No submission may violate any Hive Workshop site rules. This includes, but is not limited to, using other people's work (partially or otherwise) without express permission.
2. You must post at least 1 WIP preview before the deadline.
3. You may make as many models as you want, however pick only one for the final judge's evaluation.
4. To qualify for entry, you must post your model(s) in .mdx format, and a screenshot of the model.
5. You must post your entry before the deadline expires and attach it to a post.
6. You must make the model for this competition, which means that you cannot use old works.
7. Your model must have these minimum animations: Attack, Death, Decay, Portrait, Stand, Walk, Morph, Morph Alternate, Attack Alternate, Death Alternate, Decay Alternate, Stand Alternate, Walk Alternate, and Portrait Alternate

contest%20judging.png

MESH

ANIMATIONS

UV/SKIN

CREATIVITY

MECHANICS

EFFECTS

The geometry of the model, the wireframe that gives your model a physical form and silhouette. Does the shape look clean or deformed? Are all ends capped, are there any stray faces, etc?
10 points

The movement of your model. The animations give your model life, character, a personality. Are these animations smooth or choppy? Are they organic or cold and robotic, was this intended? Do the animations deform or clip parts of the mesh?
10 points

The skin, or texture of a model expresses many important aspects of the character. Is the texture well made; is it blurry, does it have a pleasant color scheme, does it have detail, etc? Or, if blizzard textures were used, how well was it wrapped? Are there parts that are clipped, misaligned or stretched?
10 points

The Overall concept of your model, it's essence. Is this a creative idea? Or, if the general idea has been used before, how has the creator 'made it his own'? What has he added to make it special, or different from the ones that have come before him?
10 points

Does this model work ingame, in all aspects of wc3? Is it visible when imported, is the texture pathname hard to import, are chunks of the mesh loose and flying around, is the texture the correct proportion, is the model a relatively manageable size (in kilobytes), do all the animations play properly ingame, do all the particles/ribbon emitters work, and so on. How well does this model fit in wc3? would it be useful in a map or would it look better in crysis 2?
05 points

The ol' "razzle-dazzle". Special effects add a factor of 'shock and awe'. Particle emitters, ribbon emitters, and sometimes geometry (such as shockwave planes or 3d-debris) are part of the animation process, but their implementation is less essential. However, good effects can greatly increase the quality of a model.
05 points

Judge's ScorePublic Poll

60%

40%

judges.png

1. Judge 1 [OPEN]
2. Judge 2 [OPEN]

entries.png

CONTESTANTS

STATUS

1. OPENN/A
2. OPENN/A
3. OPENN/A
4. OPENN/A
5. OPENN/A
6. OPENN/A

prizes.png

1st - 40 rep plus
your entry on an award icon
2nd - 30 rep plus
3rd - 20 rep plus
Contestants with finished entry - 5 rep

contest%20dates%20and%20deadline.png

The contest shall start at: mm/dd/yyyy and ends on mm/dd/yyyy

Last edited:

Kyrbi0

Arena Moderator
Level 45
This means that a model should have an alternate form. Just a single model of course.
Ah, that makes loads more sense. However, on first thought I'm not sure how that is all that different from a previous Modelling Contest about "transformational" stuff (though they did mostly mechs & stuff). I suppose if you were going for a "Opposing Ideas Encapsulated In a Single Model", and leave a liberal amount of discretion to the modellers, then perhaps that makes sense.

(i.e. Opposites like Melee/Ranged (Gunner <-> Pistol-Whipper), or Fast/Slow (Speed Bike <-> Stationary Tower), or Playful/Angry (Dragon Whelp <-> Enraged Elder Dragon), or Funny/Serious (Humorous Jester <-> Diabolical Plotter) (aka the Joker), or Troll/Elf (poor sap, cursed to live his mortal enemies' life... or an Evolutionary Throwback), or Spell-Immune/Mana-Dependent (aka Undead Destroyer), or ...)

Alright, so there are actually a few pretty interesting ideas. Still, we have plenty of ideas; we just need to start bugging the administrators/moderators to actually start one.

Kyrbi0

Arena Moderator
Level 45
The contest will be approved, I just need to confirm the judge. Who want to judge? So far JesusHipster, pm me, mister. :)
Umm...

Honestly I'm excited any modelling contest is starting, but if I may, I believe you made a statement earlier in regards to a popular idea that was bandied about in this thread along the lines of
Pharaoh_ said:
Additionally, the famous "Warcraft III unit to Hero" will be an Arena contest and this is why it has not been implemented in the poll.
in this thread...

Hate to be a bother, but I was pleased as punch that people actually liked my idea, so I'd feel remiss if I didn't bring it up in some small way... Eh? :<

Level 16
I am SOOOOO FREAKING INTERESTED to Join this Contest. :'D

But why oh why must college be so unfair to me??
I'm ready to do some modelling, plus I already have my concepts, but the only thing I don't have now is the time. :(

Good Idea for a modelling contest and yeah, I miss those modelling contests too. I haven't participated in any YET, but I do observe a lot.

Level 49
Hi guys.
This contest submission has recently come into my attention through other people.
I would like to mention that, while the theme is nice enough, it is extremely similar to "Morphing Units", something that we've already done in a modeling contest. This is strengthened by the fact that Eubz added in the requirement of "Alternate" animations.

Additionally, since August 2012, we've been waiting to start Kyrbi0's suggested idea of "hero-ifying a unit":

http://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/2210857-post9.html
http://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/2211678-post16.html
http://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/2212729-post26.html

This idea was approved by Pharaoh_ in the thread. Or, perhaps it was another mod - either way, it was promised that while the mini-modeling contest will not be about hero-ifying a unit, the next legit modeling contest will be. Unfortunately, I could not find the appropriate link to prove this, but I am absolutely certain that I remember a post like that.

So, what I am saying is - can we please start Kyrbi0's idea first, and THEN consider other ideas such as this one? I am saying this simply out of respect to Kyrbi0, since I know he was very excited about his theme getting approved and I wouldn't want his feelings hurt. Well, that, and the fact that this contest idea sounds extremely similar to something we've already done.

Level 51
Alright folks. Here are my 2 cents to this one: (My answer to Deolrin if I'd still be interested in the hero-fying theme.)

Totally. And beside, I can already see how few models are going to really be finished in the dualism one, as the huge amount of work of alternate animations and models will scare people off, no matter how exicted they are at first place.

The hero-fying thing is a much simplier, yet more creative and... useful theme :) Support that. We can still make that Dualism one another time. What we need now, is a theme which boosts up wc3 modelling AND is useful for modders at the same time.

See, the dualism theme is very creative and stuff, but yet it's a huge amount of work, creating two models basically at the same time and it might scare people off. Previous contests have shown that less amount of work made people quit. We got lots of new modellers here who are excited to work on models, and I'm really glad about that, as many have left us in the last time.

And because of that, we should have a less complex theme. The hero-fying theme is extremly usefull to modders and mapmakers, and there are really great ideas and concepts.

Level 49
That one is for mini-modelling contest. It's up to the admins/mods which one will be started first.

Well, for one... I am mod. :p
And secondly, it was MEANT to be a suggestion for a mini-modeling contest, but it was decided in the thread that it will become an 'actual' contest instead, because it requires more work than your average mini-modeling contest.

Kyrbi0

Arena Moderator
Level 45
eubz said:
That one is for mini-modelling contest. It's up to the admins/mods which one will be started first.
Not exactly. I posted the idea in the "mini-modelling contest thread", but it was quickly decided by the voice of the people that, while a cool idea, it was too big for a "mini"-modelling contest.

Additionally, since August 2012, we've been waiting to start Kyrbi0's suggested idea of "hero-ifying a unit":

[links]

This idea was approved by Pharaoh_ in the thread. Or, perhaps it was another mod - either way, it was promised that while the mini-modeling contest will not be about hero-ifying a unit, the next legit modeling contest will be. Unfortunately, I could not find the appropriate link to prove this, but I am absolutely certain that I remember a post like that.

So, what I am saying is - can we please start Kyrbi0's idea first, and THEN consider other ideas such as this one? I am saying this simply out of respect to Kyrbi0, since I know he was very excited about his theme getting approved and I wouldn't want his feelings hurt. Well, that, and the fact that this contest idea sounds extremely similar to something we've already done.
Wow, I appreciate the vote of confidence. But I'm not gonna get my feelings hurt. :p Just wanted to speak up for the voice of the people

But yeah, in terms of your post... I actually went ahead and made all the links you would've needed. :p Guess my post just got lost in the pages. But specifically, the quote from Pharaoh (and the thread it's linked in) you're looking for is below:
Umm...

Honestly I'm excited any modelling contest is starting, but if I may, I believe you made a statement earlier in regards to a popular idea that was bandied about in this thread along the lines of
Pharaoh_ said:
Additionally, the famous "Warcraft III unit to Hero" will be an Arena contest and this is why it has not been implemented in the poll.
in this thread...

Hate to be a bother, but I was pleased as punch that people actually liked my idea, so I'd feel remiss if I didn't bring it up in some small way... Eh? :<

Anyway, excited to see what'll happen. And for the record, I'm totally OK with repeating contest ideas, as long as people want them. Let's not strive for unique-ness ad nauseum. :p

Kyrbi0

Arena Moderator
Level 45
If it would help ease things along, I can write a draft of the "contest explanatory header" so that's out of the way (don't know about all the judging criteria, but I can (hopefully) explain the idea succinctly enough & find a cool pic. :p).

Probably after we've hosted the contest that was supposed to be hosted months ago.
well well deolrin...
i know you really wanted hero-ifying an unit and it was voted months ago so it was legitimate months ago, but the time passed, and it isn't legitimate anymore, because the interested people changed. now many people came supporting this dualism theme (which i, as well, think is much worse than hero-ifying), and just hosting another theme won't be right

i think we can handle this situation with a poll. 2 options available.

i took the liberty to create it, and it's meant to be quick and effective. 3 days of deadline.

VOTE.

Status
Not open for further replies.