• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Mini-Mapping Contest #12 - Organisation

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shar Dundred

Community Moderator
Level 72
160036-albums4747-picture59500.png

mini-.png
mapping.png
contest.png
number.png
1.png
2.png

event-organisation.jpg

Organisation
Contestants are to organize/grow something to make it better until certain goal condition has met (e.g. building (growing) civilization / kingdom / company / industry / anything).

contest%20rules%20and%20conditions.png

• No submission may violate any of the site rules.
  • If a submission does not follow the map submission rules the creator will be disqualified.
  • All submissions must follow the current theme.
  • Your submission must be posted before the deadline in the contest thread. The post containing your final submission must also contain the following:
    • Several screenshots of terrain and gameplay.
    • The file in the appropriate format.
  • You must show at least one unfinished preview of your submission, before the deadline, as proof that it’s yours.
  • Your submission may not be started/made before the official launch of the contest.
  • Judges may not participate.
  • Your final submission must be bug free.
  • Teamwork is not allowed.
    • Finding testers and voice actors to help you with your submission is not considered teamwork.
  • Imports may be used in the map, however they must all be credited. You may make new models, icons, etc specifically for the contest.
  • All multiplayer maps must be under 8mb, so they are playable on Battle.Net.

prizes.png

• First Place: 45 reputation points and your entry on the award icon
  • Second Place: 30 reputation points and an award icon
  • Third Place: 15 reputation points and an award icon
  • All other participants, including judges: 5 reputation points

judges.png

• StoPCampinGn00b
  • Ardenian

contest%20judging%20and%20voting.png

Originality
Does the entry bring any new ideas to the table? This may include gameplay mechanics, genre or different iterations of an existing concept.25%

Gameplay
The fun factor: Does the whole package create an enjoyable experience for the player?
e.g. Are the spell effects satisfying, is there replayability, is the plot compelling, ...?
25%

Theme
Does the entry conform to the contest's assigned theme 'Organisation'?20%

Aesthetics
The beauty of the map: how well-made is above all the terrain?
This includes the right choice of doodads for the theme of the environment, the lighting, the proper use of imported models, etc.
Overall, the visuals of the map are judged in this category, thus the terrain and, additionally, the spell effects, the atmosphere of the map (which may include the use of an atmospheric soundtrack), etc.
15%

Triggers/Performance
Does the map run well performance-wise?
Factors which influence this category are: efficiency of the triggers/coding, memory leaks, etc.
10%

Polishing
Does the map have a title, an in-game description, a quest log?
Is the in-game text clear to read (this may include proper use of colors)?
Are there assigned hotkeys for skills and are they easy to use?
Are the hero/skill tooltips clean and easy on the eyes?
If custom icons were used, were their counterparts (e.g. 'DISBTN', etc.) properly imported?
5%
  • 65% of the winner shall be determined by the contest's appointed judge(s).
  • 35% of the winner shall be determined by the results of a public poll.
contest%20dates%20and%20deadline.png

• The contest shall begin on October 7th, 18:00 GMT and conclude on November 12th, 19:30 GMT, GMT

Assigned moderator: StoPCampinGn00b

Last edited:

Ardenian

A

Ardenian

Haha, this is going to be fun.

Last edited by a moderator:
Level 32
Everything looks ship shape, though this may be a bit contradictory.
Contest Rules & Submissions said:
Your final submission must be bug free.
vs
Contest Judging & Voting said:
Does the map run well performance-wise?
Factors which influence this category are: efficiency of the triggers/coding, memory leaks, game-breaking bugs, etc.
I presume that bugs don't get anyone disqualified unless they make the game unplayable. I think you should just take out the bug rule to avoid confusion.

If you fix that, I'll approve it. Maybe I'm wrong that and it doesn't contradict, but even if it doesn't, I believe it's unnecessary. Cheers :)

Shar Dundred

Community Moderator
Level 72
Everything looks ship shape, though this may be a bit contradictory.

vs

I presume that bugs don't get anyone disqualified unless they make the game unplayable. I think you should just take out the bug rule to avoid confusion.

If you fix that, I'll approve it. Maybe I'm wrong that and it doesn't contradict, but even if it doesn't, I believe it's unnecessary. Cheers :)

Fixed, can be approved now. :3

Shar Dundred

Community Moderator
Level 72

Ardenian

A

Ardenian

Another attempt recycling your Arkain for a contest, Shar ;)

Ardenian

A

Ardenian

hello how does mini mapping contest works? i would like to join

Develop and create a map in the given time. It is considered a 'mini'-mapping as one month is not much, so you will have to work under pressure and think about what your map needs and what not.
For the rules, they are listed in the first post, but it is basically pretty much the same as with other contests like Zephyr.

Ardenian

A

Ardenian

I feel like joining, but the concept is hard.

Hu, why do you think this way?
I myself have so many ideas it is hard for my to go for one. It is a pretty generic and simple theme, in my opinion.
The originality aspect is going to be hard, though.

Ardenian

A

Ardenian

I only have one idea and it's quite complex in the mechanics. I can't think of any simple ideas of organization.

Ah, I am sure you will get some more ideas, there are so many :)
or maybe I played too many flash games...

Level 13
so i am planning to make a hero arena map that will match the theme of the contest. the whole thing hasnt been thought all throughout but i will post my wip next week when theres actually a real progress.

EDIT: I cant resist not to ask. Im planning to make a map where players kill each other and each kill reduces the time for the monster to grow. when it grows it will kill players that doesnt own the monster. I need to ask if this counts as grow or im way off?

Last edited:
Level 10
IMO, I think you are way off.
My interpretation of organization is a game that requires lots of planning where each move must be made delicately with a great deal of thought put into it, otherwise it may jeopardize the outcome of climax and final targeted accomplishment. It may also be a team game that requires each player to input their specialty of dominant traits to work as a group. Strategy, Community and Planning are the key words.
I have about three ideas now, but they are all quite hard.
EDIT: Your idea still would work, maybe if these "monsters" become active when the players collect certain items to give to it to make it stronger instead of it only being based on kills.

Last edited:
Level 14
I planned the gameplay of my map so here it is.

The players start with a main base and a hero that can be used to protect his/her base or attack the enemy's base.
What they suppose to do is to capture an outpost that owned by an AI Enemies to increase the income so they can able to grow their army's strength.
The more outpost they caught, the faster that they can grow their army's power.
Not only capturing the outposts and win, they need to protect their newly captured outpost as well.

There's two ways to win the map.
1. Destroy all enemy players' main base.
2. Be the first player who captured the Temple Core.

Please let me know if this ideal gameplay fits for this theme or its way too far for this theme.

Level 13
Organization "an organized group of people with a particular purpose, such as a business or government department."

Granted, you can interpret organization in a number of ways, as loosely it means a collection of people pursuing the same goal together. The first concept that jumped to mind was the Orc campaign where you have to harvest X amount of lumber, which requires you to organize your bases so you can reach the objective efficiently.

IMO that's the point of this contest, to create a map where players have to reach goal Y by organizing Z properly.

I'm unlikely going to participate, so for those of you struggling with ideas, you could create a map with an objective of:

- First player/team to complete construction of a building wins (making use of human builders, or have the building progress achieved by other ways)
- With allies, reach X resource to win the game (e.g. an adapted kodo tag or orc campaign)
- First player/team to reach a net value of X (e.g. player with the biggest town/city wins)
- Simply a straight out conquest or domination type map (think melee), as the better organization will be more powerful
- More unique concepts based around organizations and what they can achieve (e.g. a map where players can choose the type of organization they are, such as research or military)

Level 10
That's a good question. It would suck to have to bust your ass making a map, then someone else can just swoop in and steal your map. I hate map thieves, 99% of the time, they don't even know how to map make, then they crap all over your map and slap on their name, stealing all the credit.

Level 25
Btw guys i still have a question. Regarding with the submission of wip or final work the attached map must be unprotected? Or the open version must only be seen by the judge?
In previous contests, only the judges needed the unprotected version.

I still think it's better to leave them completely unprotected so that other people can learn how you did certain things or point out more efficient ways to set up your triggering. Just make sure you at least PM an attachment of your unprotected map to the host and/or the judges.

Level 13
Thanks for the info

EDIT1:
WIP Post
I do not want to spoil how the whole mechanics works and not everything has been realized. Ill just give u a hint is a Hero Arena. Ill just post bunch of screenshots on what ive done. btw is it required to post an unfinished map?

EDIT2: Also tell me if this is a sufficient WIP to qualify as a WIP. If so, then my next post will contain my final work.

Attachments

• Egg Sack System Testing 2.png
    Egg Sack System Testing 2.png
    831.4 KB · Views: 98
  • Egg Sack System Testing.png
    Egg Sack System Testing.png
    828.6 KB · Views: 87
  • Egg Sack System.png
    Egg Sack System.png
    512.2 KB · Views: 125
  • Game Mode Generator.png
    Game Mode Generator.png
    705.6 KB · Views: 91
  • Game Modes.png
    Game Modes.png
    764.3 KB · Views: 87
  • Hero Selection.png
    Hero Selection.png
    574.8 KB · Views: 101
  • Initial Terrain.png
    Initial Terrain.png
    1.8 MB · Views: 57
  • Spiders.png
    Spiders.png
    793.9 KB · Views: 83
  • Temporary Terrain.png
    Temporary Terrain.png
    1.9 MB · Views: 90
  • Terrain then added pathing.png
    Terrain then added pathing.png
    1.7 MB · Views: 97
  • Terrain With Web Rocks Doodadds.png
    Terrain With Web Rocks Doodadds.png
    1.8 MB · Views: 88
  • Units Egg Sacks.png
    Units Egg Sacks.png
    789.1 KB · Views: 99
Last edited:
Level 5
Ok so I decided that I will participate in this, and here is... something. A few pictures, consider it as a WiP. I haven't done much, basically just the intro and figured out the whole concept of the map. (Oh, and don't mind that czech interface, I'm making the whole map in english)

Attachments

• WC3ScrnShot_101115_200019_01.jpg
    WC3ScrnShot_101115_200019_01.jpg
    542.7 KB · Views: 102
  • WC3ScrnShot_101115_200029_02.jpg
    WC3ScrnShot_101115_200029_02.jpg
    250.7 KB · Views: 117
  • WC3ScrnShot_101115_200056_03.jpg
    WC3ScrnShot_101115_200056_03.jpg
    592.8 KB · Views: 105
  • Bez názvu.png
    Bez názvu.png