• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Icon Contest #13 - Theme Poll

Vote for one or several favorite themes! NOTE: READ THE DESCRIPTIONS BEFORE VOTING

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 30
160036-albums4747-picture59500.png

186519-albums3700-picture96895.png
186519-albums3700-picture96894.png
186519-albums3700-picture96896.png
186519-albums3700-picture96892.png
186519-albums3700-picture96893.png

Theme selection for the upcoming Icon Contest. This is a multi-poll: you can vote for more than one theme you'd like to see or participate in.

Selection of the top ten themes that are in this poll are extracted from the suggestion thread for this contest specifically, and from 19 possible themes, I've asked several users of great contribution to the icon section to go ahead and vote for their favorite themes. That eliminated 9 themes, and now it's time for YOU to help us eliminate another 9 :)

Theme Explanations:

- Seven Deadly Sins
You are required to draw four of out seven deadly sins (gluttony, lust, wrath, greed, pride, sloth and envy) - and you can draw them either in the form of abilities, or items. Note that whichever option you go for, the icon must represent the selected sin well and clearly (i.e.: a simple drawing of a bed for the sloth sin will not score well, but a frenzy-alike mad ability to represent wrath - that's the right way)

- Human Senses
You are required to draw four of out five human senses, and represent them in a form of abilities. The senses are: sight, hearing, taste, smell and touch. Not all four chosen senses have to be related with each other - you can draw the sight for an elven archer, and then do the hearing for an undead ghoul.

- Upgrades and Tech
A semi-wildcard theme, where you will be required to draw a minimum of four icons, but you can draw as much as you want. This theme features the classical upgrades; the three levels for offense and defense, the two levels for casters, and any other miscellaneous tech upgrades. Of course, you can do the two attack and four caster upgrades if you desire.

- Item Sets
In this theme, you will be drawing a set of (4 minimum) items that all together make an item-set. They should be connected to each other with the theme, and there is no limit of any sort at what gear you could be drawing (Example 1: A shield, a sword, a helmet and a shoulder-pad; Example 2: A bow, a quiver with arrows, a glove and boots)

- DotA Skillset Re-vamp
Here you will be required to select one of many heroes from the Defense of the Ancients Warcraft III map, in short known as DotA, and fully re-draw his or her iconset. This includes the turn on and off icons and sub-abilities as well.

- Hunter's Call
This theme requires you to draw icons of abilities that are related to hunters and that expertise. Tracking a unit, finding the weak points, sprinting, scavenging slain creatures for loot and invisibility will all do - be creative!

- Hero Attributes
You are required to re-draw the standard good old Agility-Strength-Intelligence hero attribute icons to something fresh and new.

- Crafting Materials
As simple as it name suggests, this theme requires you to draw a set of crafting materials that are used to craft other things. Ores, planks, stones - you name it.

- Pirates
Another semi-wildcard theme, which allows you to draw anything related to pirates, whether it would be a set of attack and armor types, a collection of items, or a skill tree - your choice.

- Attack & Armor types
Partial wildcard. In here, a minimum of 6 icons is needed. You will be requested to draw a set of icons to replace the standard attack types - and there won't be the name to icon restraints: you don't need to draw Hero, Siege and Piercing skills - those can be Shredding, Hand-to-hand and Heavy Artillery.

Note: Poll will be open for 10 days, up until 25th of April.

Level 25
And yeah Attack & Armor types wins.

Well, I guess I won't be joining this then.

I kinda wish there was a rule stating that you could only vote if you intended to participate in the theme(s) you voted for. If people want something done, there's a request section for that! But hey, who knows, maybe Deolrin plans on kickstarting his icon-creating career with this contest, or maybe Kyrbi0 has some kickass graphic design skills up his sleeve!

And yes, I am just being salty because my themes didn't win, but this was literally the only theme I had no interest in participating in.

Well, I guess I won't be joining this then.

I kinda wish there was a rule stating that you could only vote if you intended to participate in the theme(s) you voted for. If people want something done, there's a request section for that! But hey, who knows, maybe Deolrin plans on kickstarting his icon-creating career with this contest, or maybe Kyrbi0 has some kickass graphic design skills up his sleeve!

And yes, I am just being salty because my themes didn't win, but this was literally the only theme I had no interest in participating in.

Well, here is was the same, but the theme I had absolutely no interest in was Seven Deadly Sins. I just voted for some other stuff I liked, but I really have no idea why Attack/Armor types got so many votes. I am really sad some people are obstructed by this and won't participate :/

EDIT: "Dota skills revamp" sucked ass aswell.

Kyrbi0

Arena Moderator
Level 45
chr2 said:
...But hey, who knows, maybe Deolrin plans on kickstarting his icon-creating career with this contest, or maybe Kyrbi0 has some kickass graphic design skills up his sleeve!

Naw, you got me. I have no artistic skills to speak of, and had no plans on joining the Contest. I merely voted for that which I think will be the coolest/most interesting/most useful (to others & myself personally).

chr2 said:
If people want something done, there's a request section for that!
I have not had a lot of success there. Or should I say, it's a real gamble. More importantly, though, I truly love seeing the kind of crazy stuff artists think of that I couldn't even fathom to 'Request'! Some of my favorite & most useful resources came from pure inspiration of others in a Contest like this (I mean heck, I got my beautiful Troll armor/upgrade icons from A.R. in a Contest identical to this years ago).

I like having things done, but I prefer to witness beautiful, natural inspiration.

I kinda wish there was a rule stating that you could only vote if you intended to participate in the theme(s) you voted for.
That being said, I agree with your premise... If the point of these Polls is to determine "what the contestants would like to do". Many (such as myself) instead view Polls like this as "what would the community (artists & observers) like to see this Contest about". The former is totally fine (and, honestly, make a good deal of sense); it just needs to be explicitly stated. It's been done before (disclaimer at the top: "only prospective contestants may vote"). But in the mean-time, things like this, I see it as opportunities to put my vote towards making cool/useful resources (of course, "cool/useful" In My Opinion).

Deal with the theme, be artistic to those who want to join. I don't get the theme well, explain it to me please not being sarcastic though.

Well, you know how the attack/armor type system works in WC3? There's piercing, hero, siege etc types of damage and unarmored, light, heavy, fortified etc types of armor, and some damage types are good against some armors and bad against others. It's basically what we need to make - new attack and armor types (they have a special type of golden border)
Hope you get it now :]

Level 30
This theme offers nearly absolute freedom, and I really don't see why is it getting so much hatred. Also, restricting the theme voting to only people that have shown to have any artistic skills in the selected theme would result in excluding the most important factor of the Hive: the community.

In this theme, you can draw magical missiles, all sorts of weaponry be it enchanted or standard, wooden or metal; shields, plates and mails of all sorts, not to exclude a vast array of elemental offense and elemental skills. Medieval? Futuristic? Lasers? Stones? All supported by the theme. A semi wildcard as good as this could only hurt someone who has skill specifically in drawing faces - tho with some creativity, this could also be executed well.
This theme, also, offers the most versatile usefulness factor of all selected themes, as it does not depict a single unit, but it offers an incredible variable to all possible things you could attack or defend with.

I'll see when this will get hosted with other mods, and notify you here. I am currently a little less active, but I believe this would launch soon.

Additionally, with me returning to the mod team, you can expect the icon contests to go in a much more rapid fashion, not three-four times a year only.

Status
Not open for further replies.