• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Texturing Competition #2 - Racial Conversion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Archian

Site Director
Level 61
texturingcompetitionjk7.gif

Texturing Competition #2

The theme for the Texturing Competition #2 is Racial Conversion.

For this competition, you are required to modify the texture of an existing model within Warcraft 3 of either the Human, Orc, Night Elf or Undead race. You must then reskin the choosen model into another concept from any of the 3 other races. (For example, if you choose an Orc unit. Then you must reskin it into one of the 3 other races)

Deadline: The 20th of April 2007 - with possible extension. Winner(s) will be decided by the final votes of a public poll.

Rules and Guidelines:
  • The model must be an existing unit within Warcraft 3 of either the Human, Orc, Night Elf or Undead race.
  • No model edits are permitted.
  • The skin has to be atleast 75% freehand created.
  • You must post at least 1 WIP skin preview before the deadline.
  • To qualify for entry, you must post your .blp and an ingame screenshot.
  • You must post your entry before the deadline expires.
  • You must make the textures for this competition. Which means that you cannot use old skins.
  • Textures must be no larger than 256 pixels in any dimension when submitted as final entry, though you may work in 512 (or higher), but they must be resized down to 256 when submitted.
Prize: +75 Reputation Points & a Special Award Icon.

Last edited:
Level 6
Sounds good to me alltought I can pretty much only edit skins not make them..maybe I still try to make something for your entertaiment :)

Deleted member 126647

D

Deleted member 126647

Rest is for the weak.

Now for me, it's bedtime.

Level 9
Grr... You are obnoxious with the 75% freehand stuff... But I'll not flame this thread about it. I'll do it somewhere else, some other time...

Hell, I'm in. Hope I have the time.
I was planning such a project for a while now, but... given the chance...

Tell you what... I'll do a freehand for you and one or more merges for eye candy.
We'll see...

Cheers!

Deleted member 126647

D

Deleted member 126647

Grr... You are obnoxious with the 75% freehand stuff... But I'll not flame this thread about it. I'll do it somewhere else, some other time...

I just have to throw my two cents in.

Why is asking you do do 3/4 of the actual work in an art contest so difficult for people to take in? If it were me, I would have said 100% freehand in both the skinning and icon contests, because it's supposed to be judging artistic skill.

[/rant]

Level 9
Frankly, because "freehand" associated to a mouse (e.g. not a specific drawing device) is more like a metaphor than effective design. That's my primary point of view - as I cannot currently afford / wouldn't invest right now in a pen tablet.

Please, let's stop this here. I do not want to be accused of flaming or such. I'll make a thread these days somewhere here, on THW. We'll have a more advanced discussion concerning this specific subject there, shall we?

Level 6
Here we go :/

Zombie militia:
zombiemilitiaie9.jpg

Well I dunno if this can be accepted, but I wanted to try make this. Didnt turn out as good as i expected but I quess it will do.....

Attachments

• PeasantMilitiaCompetition.blp
    76 KB · Views: 175
Level 5
you should really shade the team color a bit and mabye make the beard a bit lighter...
this is only my personal opinion, so do what you like:thumbs_up:

i just wondered: can we skin creeps which is one of the four races like the bandits and stormweaver apprentice?

Edit: forgot to say that the portrait looks really good. like a real zombie:wink:

Last edited:
Level 8
COUNT ME IN, this time I'll qualify myself !

Good luck in any way :)

i just wondered: can we skin creeps which is one of the four races like the bandits and stormweaver apprentice?

I would say no, because they depend in the creep data base and not into the 4 regular races.

Chaos

EIDT: What about a Team-entry, would it be accepted ?

Last edited:

Deleted member 126647

D

Deleted member 126647

EIDT: What about a Team-entry, would it be accepted ?

I assume no. That makes it unfair to those who did it all themselves, and makes it more difficult to give an award.

More Restrictions to Consider!

I think there are two things you should address in your rules that are not already included:
-Whether or not you can submit skins for models used by buildings. (We need more of these.)
-Whether or not you can submit skins for models used by campaign units for the four races. (This includes Blood Elf Engineer, Blood Elf Lieutenant, Apprentice Wizard, High Elf Female, sea units, Dark Wizard, Bandit, Medivh, Pack Horse, Black Drake, and Wagon models - and all of these are just human units!)

Level 9
The point is to produce such skins that would make available a given unit for another race, other than its original race. That's it. At least, that's what I understood.

Concerning the buildings... I think it's at least ambiguous, yes... But I guess we're allowed too (though in the first post "unit" is stated, not "entity" or anything that may include buildings as well).

Concerning the campaign units. They are just units. You could make anyone available for other races - though I doubt you can make a Medivh for Orcs. A Captain, on the other hand, may be reworked for both NightElf and Undead (I do not see it as Orc, but...).

Yo, Burned: Demons have black eyes (not the iris, but the sclera), while Zombies are associated to white eyes - meaning no colour for the iris. You left your skin with defined eyes in the portrait, yet white in the skin (or is it blinking).

Last edited:
Level 5
Wip

i'm skinning Gul'dan into a human
yes i'm going to fix the eyes..
still working with names: Insane Priest? Mad Monk?

Attachments

• OrcWarlockGuldan kopi.jpg
    OrcWarlockGuldan kopi.jpg
    94.7 KB · Views: 174
  • Uten navn-1 kopi.jpg
    Uten navn-1 kopi.jpg
    365.1 KB · Views: 189
Level 5
LOL! That looks funny. Whats Wrong with the eyes?

there are some white dots there. it may not nook that bad on the screenie i posted here, but it looks really weird when he's turning around and such...

it looks more like a zombie because of the skin tone and his lips.

i know, hes supposed to be like a grumpy, old and really crazy guy.
what do you suggest that i do with the skin tone and the lips?

Last edited:
Level 45
mines done...bleh.....hes 512x256..so.. i dont know if u will allow it..and..ja..

Attachments

• stagcrusader showprev.jpg
    stagcrusader showprev.jpg
    197.2 KB · Views: 235
  • NEStagCrusader.jpg
    NEStagCrusader.jpg
    515.7 KB · Views: 199
  • NeSCport.jpg
    NeSCport.jpg
    101.9 KB · Views: 161
  • scingame.jpg
    scingame.jpg
    458.9 KB · Views: 224
  • BTNStagCrusader.jpg
    BTNStagCrusader.jpg
    13 KB · Views: 449
  • stagcrusaderunwrap.jpg
    stagcrusaderunwrap.jpg
    336.9 KB · Views: 218
  • StagCrusader.zip
    166.3 KB · Views: 89
Level 8
mines done...bleh.....hes 512x256..so.. i dont know if u will allow it..and..ja..

Well, I think it'll be accepted, maybe two things to change ?
1. The hair looks like a green surface, like a cape and less like hair, I do not mean the beard.
2. Maybe make the skin brighter, so it fits better with the nightelf skin.

Positive I never seen any transforming of the Death Knight into anything with nightelf, not easy but you pretty made it.

Difficult to beat this, I start right now ?

Chaos

Level 6
started my skin its an undead admiral based on admiral proudmoore's skin only just started the face
edit: almost done with the face ps (this is my second skin ever so i needed some practice and i entered out of fun im not even thinking of victory
would be nice to get a vote though....:smile: ) like the face?

Attachments

• UndeadAdmiral.wip.jpg
    UndeadAdmiral.wip.jpg
    49.3 KB · Views: 199
Last edited:
Level 9
started my skin its an undead admiral based on admiral proudmoore's skin only just started the face
edit: almost done with the face ps (this is my second skin ever so i needed some practice and i entered out of fun im not even thinking of victory

Good so far. I would suggest changing the eagles and other beasts to skulls. Skulls are a trademark of the Undead. Other than this.... Tomorrow... :p

Don't forget to add an ingame screenie so we could see the effects of your skin.

Level 45
sigh* the viewer makes it look like its alot lighter...and it still abit dark ingame...but..screw it.. i dont want to work on it anymore..

Attachments

• scpreviw.jpg
    scpreviw.jpg
    154.2 KB · Views: 661
  • ingamesc.jpg
    ingamesc.jpg
    347.2 KB · Views: 7,165
  • StagCrusader.jpg
    StagCrusader.jpg
    122.9 KB · Views: 402
  • StagCrusader1.1.rar
    310.5 KB · Views: 131
  • StagCrusader.1.1.zip
    311.5 KB · Views: 96
Last edited:

Archian

Site Director
Level 61
Show us how the texture looks like on the model :p

Great work, Werewulf :)

Level 6
little update
edit:update (working on shoulderpads now) added some chainmail and edited cape
EDIT: 99% done final touch ups in process
Plz tell me which theme u like better
The vAMPIRE knight (up)
or
The pirate(down)
added flat uv

Attachments