• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Texturing Competition #10 - Arcane

Status
Not open for further replies.
The Hive Workshop

055ArcaneGravity-Wallpaper.jpg

Texturing Competition #10

Contest Theme: Arcane

Each contestant must create a Arcane themed skin. Can be a arcane construct, a sort of sorcerer, etc.

Contest Rules And Conditions

1. Model must be existing in Warcraft 3 already.

2. No model edits are allowed.

3. To qualify, you must post your finished skin's .blp file as well as an ingame shot

• Rule 3a. This finished skin must be submitted before the deadline

4. You must make an original texture for this competition
    • No using skins started/made before the start of the contest

5. Textures must be no larger than 256 pixels in any dimension when submitted as final entry, though you may work in 512 (or higher), but they must be resized down to 256 when submitted.

6. Skin must be atleast 75% Freehand

7. Along with the 75% freehand, the skin must ALSO follow the skin submission rules

Contest Judging And Voting
  • 50% of the decision of who wins, shall be determined by the contest's appointed judge(s).

• 50% of the decision of who wins, shall be determined by the results of a public poll.

Prizes, Winnings, Booty & Bounty

• First Place: A custom award icon as well as 40 rep
  • Second Place: 25 rep. points
  • Third Place: 10 rep. points

Contest Dates And Deadline

Each skin must be complete and submited before the deadline expires. All submissions willl be looked at carefully to make sure all of it is original work.

The contest shall begin on September 01 2008 and conclude on

October 01 2008 12:00 AM, (GMT).​

WOOT, I LOVE YOU HAWKWING!!! I am glad to see that we have a new contest moderator. Since I started the idea thread and have been waiting for this forever I AM OBVIOUSLY IN!!! @PKER You need to do more overall shading on the leaf area, You have each leaf done very well but they are all done exactly the same. THE WHOLE THING needs to be brighter in the middle and darker around the edges, this is what I mean by overall shading. Your shading is good but it is all the same.

Level 18
/me fails to SuPa.

@ WOMBAT I see what you mean, I was going to add that eventually, but I'll do it naow.

EDIT: Well, I thought that it was going to be arcane/ancient, but I will try to add more magic-ish stuff or do another texture.

Attachments

• Black32.jpeg
    Black32.jpeg
    12.3 KB · Views: 213
  • ss0025.jpg
    ss0025.jpg
    29.8 KB · Views: 218
  • ss0026.jpg
    ss0026.jpg
    38.1 KB · Views: 218
Lookin a little better. I just dont think it looks very arcane. The colors I usually associate with arcane are blue, teal, and white. Not purple and green. But everyone has their own interpretation I guess. Here is the start to mine, just base colors, hair, and eyebrows done so far. Still need my above question about the second texture for frostmourne answered.

Attachments

• WIP.jpg
    WIP.jpg
    20.1 KB · Views: 238
Level 8
Ill see what I can come up with. If it's good, I'll submit it to the contest. The model I plan on skinning is a challenge. Tauren Cheiftan :D.

Edit: Spent an hour and what Ive come up with looks like shit. I forfiet my place in this competition.

P.S how do you guys brainstorm ideas for your skinning. Or in other words simply, how do you go about skinning? Do you start with certain parts? Do you start a certain way? How do you get nice looking textures using solid colors?

Last edited:
Tauren Chieftan actually has a pretty easy wrap to work with. Arthas has one of the most challenging wraps to work with, look at this update for example. Notice how everything is WAY uneven on the unwrap, but wrapped they match up almost perfectly, due to my experience working with this wrap. And I know this looks a LOT like a recolor of my other arthas skin guys, but I assure you that it is not. It is freehanded and overall of a higher quality than the other skin even though it is being done in a smaller resolution.

Attachments

• WIP2.jpg
    WIP2.jpg
    21 KB · Views: 229
  • SCREEN2.JPG
    SCREEN2.JPG
    60.1 KB · Views: 273
Level 18
Arcane and Ancestral??
Nah waaaay too big
I can't have that
There would be things such as well, it can be arcane or ancestral
There would then be a huge debate about one submitted skin that seems to be one or the other by certain rules but everyone would say its not and a huge upheavel would happen...
So one theme shall we?

Status
Not open for further replies.