• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Techtree Contest #6 - No Imports!

Status
Not open for further replies.
160036-albums4747-picture57200.png

the%20hive%20workshop.png

techtree.png
contest.png
number.png
6.png

160036-albums4747-picture56605.png

160036-albums4747-picture56606.png

Create a unique race, without importing anything! The only imports allowed are dummy.mdx and a hero glow (can be found at our Models section). Your challenge to create a race with unique look and features, unlike any other we've known thus far, has just begun!

contest%20rules%20and%20conditions.png

• No submission may violate any of the site rules.
  • If a submission does not follow the map submission rules the creator will be disqualified.
  • Your submission must be posted before the deadline. The post containing your final submission must also contain the following:
    • Several screenshots of race in action.
    • The file in the appropriate format.
  • You must show at least one unfinished preview of your submission, before the deadline, as proof that its yours.
  • Your final submission must be bug free enough to test and play.
  • Teamwork is not allowed.
    • Finding testers to help you with your submission is not considered teamwork.
  • Imports may not be used in the map, except for the dummy.mdx and a hero glow (can be found at our Models section).
  • The features that may be edited are:
    • Gameplay constants
    • Game interface
    • Object editor
    • Trigger editor
    • Sound editor
  • The map's terrain may not be edited. The current four melee races may not be edited; copy and paste the default units you are about to edit.
  • Participants must download the (to be provided) template map, edit it and then resubmit it as their entry.
  • The resulting map may not exceed 5 MB in size.
  • Your submission may not be started before the official launch of the contest.
  • The final submission must bear the contest's number and type, along with your nickname, e.g. Techtree Contest 6 - [Nickname]

prizes.png

• First Place: 50 reputation points and your entry on the award icon
  • Second Place: 35 reputation points and an award icon
  • Third Place: 20 reputation points and an award icon

judges.png

None yet! If you are interested in judging, please contact me.

contest%20judging%20and%20voting.png

Gameplay
How fun the gameplay is; does the race itself offer various features to experiment with?/15

Balance
How easily can the race stand against the default races? Is it particularly easy to wipe out or too hard to confront?/10

The Legion
Are the roles of the warriors shared in a flat manner, are they getting too repetitive or each of them plays a unique and significant role in the battlegrounds?/10

Originality
Considering that there are no imports available, how creative is the race from every aspect, technical & conceptual?/10

Appearance
How does the final output look? Did it achieve to surpass the common appearance that the contestant had to suffer?/10
  • 70 % of the winner shall be determined by the contest's appointed judge(s).
  • 30 % of the winner shall be determined by the results of a public poll.
contest%20dates%20and%20deadline.png

• The contest shall begin on 15th of March, 2012 and conclude on 30th of March, 2012 -> 3rd of April, 2012 ! GMT

Map File

Last edited:
Level 9
15 day, no imports?

Na...i gonna sit this one out...no reason to even try...

On a general note I suggest to allow heroglow model as well, and to remove/limit the appearance judgement because making a noteworthy appearance with only whats already in the game is outright impossible without being a replica of the base races....

Level 9
See what my point was? you are forced to do remakes of the original races, because you have nothing else to work with here...

You make a human variant, an orc variant, an undead variant, an elf race, a demon race, or a random mix. there is nothing else...

Level 16
Last edited:
Level 35
okay, so here's some ideas for my race in a nutshell:

Skeleton Warrior: Basic melee unit, has Skeletal to reduce damage from piercing attacks.

Skeleton Archer: Basic ranged unit, has Skeletal. Can be upgraded with Flaming Arrows.

Dullahan: Anti-caster melee unit, has Magic Mirror, which has a 50% chance to reflect any offensive spell (heroes and Possession excluded) back on the original caster.

That's a teaser of what I have in store. I also have a lot of zombie related stuff, because zombies are cool.

When a Flesh Golem dies, it spawns 4 zombies.
When a Wraithlord dies, it spawns 3 spirits that raise a zombie each.
The Human Sorcerer can raise Zombies.
The defensive tower will resurrect Zombies from corpses whenever enemies are near.
One or more of the hero abilities will involve Zombies.

Zombies just attack things and lose health rapidly over time. They're pretty cool.

Level 9
Well, at least its short, so the next one will come quickly...though I doubt we will even have 3 participants this time...

Maybe next contest will allow a bit more room to work with...

Level 9
These two made me inspired enough to try to think of something...

Will tell if anything comes up...

EDIT: i wonder if I can do a remake of my elemental idea from last contest (who was never quite down) as a no-imports...will probably need massive edits, to heroes at least...

Maybe attempt to extend the normal "high elf" to include some unused things to make them more special...maybe a bloodelf-demon army?

Extended naga?

Once again, I ask for the simplest addition to the "imports"- http://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/models-530/heroglow-129462/?prev=search=glow&d=list&r=20
It should really have been an obvious in-game option to add/remove heroglow from units from the firstplace, and it will simply make heroes look less good not allowing it, not actually influencing the races.

Last edited:
Level 16
Quick WIPs of Teh Procrastinatorz

Seems like your race is going to have some competition from me boomwolf ;)

My race will heavily feature the destructive force of the..... Question Elementals!!!!

151014-albums2321-picture56680.jpg

Here's an explanation of how the race works. Units start with a procrastination timer on top of their head, and until the timer ends they can't be arsed to do anything for you. The end of their procrastination will render that unit into a state of PANIC, that is when their head will start burning, giving them double move speed and attack speed!

151014-albums2321-picture56679.jpg

Oh I almost forgot, nice wips xiliger and wazzz. But first place is already mine :grin:

Level 21
Me neither BloodElf, but I really wanted to join and show a lot of people my awesome ideas. :3
Well anyway I'll be looking forward to the contest getting into action.

Level 35
checked out your wip xiliger, i think it was when you mentioned that you were doing a treant race of this nature that i had a similar idea to what you have there for the race :p

anywho, looks pretty cool so far, although i'm sure you know overgrowth does nothing and the treants don't turn into the higher up creatures properly (yet)

so what i'm wondering is what overgrowth is actually meant to do

Level 9
Weird....

The natural solution is "reinstall your WC3", but i think you should first try to save your map elsewhere, and open it directly with the WC3, while the editor is closed.

Level 35
hence where imagination comes in :3
so you have two worker units and a summoning unit? i'm wondering where this is going, although i have an idea

i'll stab a guess at you have a gatherer, a builder, and the summoning unit is used for bringing in units rather than recruiting them from a barracks

either that or summoning unit means it summons in the buildings and the two workers take one resource each respectively

Level 9
Ok, my ideas so far, help me pick one of the three to work with:

Elemental army take 2

The empire of blood (elves) and (hell)fire (demons) or-the blood elves, now with 100% more demon halfbreeds.

The viral-alien race that grows by corrupting others (using pretty much anything "corrupted" in the game. or in a way, everything purple that makes no sense...)

Level 30
actually the summoned unit is linked with the spellcaster's ability or might be reworked for a hero, although my building concepts are pretty rough right now, I have to finish all of the units, before I start working with the buildings, upgrades then heroes :p

Level 9
I still did not choose an idea...this goes south very quickly...

And all three of them are silly as hell x_x

EDIT:
You know what? silly is what I got, silly is what I'll do...

Slight spoiler: stealth melee guard tower, multiple builders and technical multiple races, while effectively only one.

Level 4
I might join if I can finish it.
But before I join I have some questions:
1. Can I join in 2 contest at the same time?
2. The map submission rules says "No WIP" but here I need to post one. So what do I have to do?

Level 16
1. Sure. You may join as many contests as you like.

2. The "No WIP" rules on map submission means you cannot submit your map in a WIP state over there. However on this contest, you need to provide at least one WIP (it can be a screenshot, or the map itself) showing any partial progress of your submission. Here are a couple of WIP examples:

Xiliger's WIP

Wazzz's WIP

Status
Not open for further replies.