• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Techtree Contest #5 - Innovation

Status
Not open for further replies.
the%20hive%20workshop.png

free.gif

-
Themed!

cataclysm_11.jpg

techtree.png
contest.png
number.png
5.png

Innovation
Contestants are to create a whole new race for Warcraft III melee gaming.
There are no limitations in this contest, so try to be as creative as possible!

contest%20rules%20and%20conditions.png
  • No submission may violate any of the site rules.
  • If a submission does not follow the map submission rules the creator will be disqualified.
  • Your submission must be posted before the deadline. The post containing your final submission must also contain the following:
    • Several screenshots of race in action.
    • The file in the appropriate format.
  • You must show at least one unfinished preview of your submission, before the deadline, as proof that it’s yours.
  • Your final submission must be bug free enough to test and play.
  • Teamwork is not allowed.
    • Finding testers to help you with your submission is not considered teamwork.
  • Imports may be used in the map, however they must all be credited.
  • The features that may be edited are:
    • Gameplay constants
    • Game interface
    • Object editor
    • Trigger editor
    • Sound editor
  • The map's terrain may not be edited. The current four melee races may not be edited; copy and paste the default units you are about to edit.
  • Participants must download the (to be provided) template map, edit it and then resubmit it as their entry.
  • The resulting map may not exceed 5 MB in size.
  • Your submission may not be started before the official launch of the contest.
prizes.png

• First Place: 50 reputation points and a special award icon
  • Second Place: 35 reputation points
  • Third Place: 20 reputation points

judges.png

• GhostThruster
  • Tell us if you want to judge!

contest%20judging%20and%20voting.png

Gameplay
How fun the gameplay is; does the race itself offer various features to experiment with?/10

Balance
How easily can the race stand against the default races? Is it particularly easy to wipe out or too hard to confront?/10

The Legion
Are the roles of the warriors shared in a flat manner, are they getting too repetitive or each of them plays a unique and significant role in the battlegrounds?/10

Originality
How creative is the race from every aspect, technical & conceptual?/10

Appearance
Does the final output look good? How well do the models bind with each other, resulting the proper feel of an actual race? Does it look like a simple race-edit?/10
  • 70 % of the winner shall be determined by the contest's appointed judge(s).
  • 30 % of the winner shall be determined by the results of a public poll.
contest%20dates%20and%20deadline.png

• The contest shall begin on 25th July 2011 and conclude on 6th October 2011, 11:59 PM GMT

Submissions:

http://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/2013978-post454.html (Ahimtar)
http://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/2015613-post466.html (Wazzz)
http://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/2015902-post470.html (ashbringer753)
http://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/2019528-post519.html (shiiK)
http://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/1981189-post246.html (Dionesiist)
http://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/2021681-post556.html (Narogog)
http://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/2019908-post526.html (Spinnaker)
http://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/2021069-post546.html (67chrome)
http://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/2021552-post552.html (Kam)

Attachments

• (6)SwampOfSorrows.w3m
    213.5 KB · Views: 300
Last edited:
Level 17
I'll probably do a Goblin race :3

EDIT: Nah screw it.
I'll join with Goblins!

Last edited:
Level 8
Subscribing and entering :)

Depending on how much time I can make available, I'll make a smaller scale tech-tree with less fireworks. Anyways! Preparing to spam the thread!

*Opens the map* 0_0 Damn! That is one depressing tileset! And all that damned water! This would have been great last time, but.. seriously.. there's so little room to display my buildings.. Okay, I'm done ranting now. On second look it isn't bad at all.. i'll leave my little outburst for the lulz. Plus, with that 5 MB, I could simply import new tiles :)

Important Note: Please don't forget to edit the Map Description (under scenario). This way we will know which map belongs to whom during the testing phase, ages from now =P

Level 3
Cool contest...
I am beginner yet, but I'll try something...

EDIT: So, I need create new models with sounds, edit images and all the spells and abilities? lol :p

Last edited:
Level 3
How would the player access this race in-game, if you don't mind me asking? You said we can't edit any melee units. That doesn't make any sense... unless you want us to make a whole system for selecting the races in-game.

I was thinking of that...

Level 35
How would the player access this race in-game, if you don't mind me asking? You said we can't edit any melee units. That doesn't make any sense... unless you want us to make a whole system for selecting the races in-game.

he means you can't overwrite the current melee races
didn't you read the part where he said to copy and past the melee units if you wish to edit them?

Level 35
alternatively, this is the system we've used for every other contest so far:
SHEZAM

ADDITIONAL: here comes first wips for the contest!

2zgcbd0.jpg

The theme for my Demons is a little less standard than most Demon races. Inspired originally by the presence of Power Generators in Outland and then even further by the original lore of 'Heroes of Might and Magic' and 'Might and Magic' (for the Kreegans), these Demons have a slightly more technological aspect to them, while still being competed with by medieval sort of fantasy thingydos.

Rather than using 'magic' in the traditional sense, their 'magic' is combined with technology and them being 'magical' (more so on account of their physiology).

Anyway, as the lore is not an important part of the contest, the idea of these units and buildings so far is that the Power Generator will provide mana for nearby buildings, allowing them to regenerate shields (without Power Generators, shields cannot be regenerated) as well as use certain abilities depending on what the building is.

For example, the Demon Gate will only be able to produce units with a cost to mana. Without the appropriate amount of mana, the production will be cancelled until mana is sufficient. I am also thinking that the Demon Gate may NOT have shields, but that is to be determined.

In the case of the Bastion (as shown in the picture, credits to Frankster for his model), it will be able to boost the armor of nearby units by a significant amount, but while this aura is activated it will lose mana over time. In essence, it is tapping into its own shields to provide shielding for nearby allied units.

Last edited:
Level 17
Yeah I know, was just a suggestion.
I'll post a wip of my goblin's sooooon. :3

EDIT: Added screenshot of my progress.

Attachments

• Techtree Contest WIP 1.jpg
    Techtree Contest WIP 1.jpg
    393.5 KB · Views: 229
Last edited:
Level 35
http://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/...es-2-3-a-186851/?prev=search=race&d=list&r=20 better use this then that tutorial. And I doubt I'll be in the contest.

yea, that's the one i linked, it's a good link so i agree with you

Yeah I know, was just a suggestion.
I'll post a wip of my goblin's sooooon. :3

EDIT: Added screenshot of my progress.

so, you said you wanted a race without many imports, and yet 2 5ths of your race so far is imports. i'm beginning to think you were being sarcastic, you sarcastic poopoo.

looks good so far, wouldn't have used goblin shredder as a builder myself, which is why i'm liking your ideas so far (stuff i wouldn't come up with, keeps things fresh)

Level 17
'thinking' and 'knowing' are two different things, if pharaoh thinks im up for it he'll appoint me, if not idc. And what i was trying to say was not if spiders were animals, it was more of a question of would spiders qualify as animalistic for the contest, since i cant really imagine a human/spider

Level 35
ah but that's where you're wrong
i have presented sufficient information on my planned features in my wip given the current stage in development
from this information along you can get an idea of where i may or may not be going, and give an opinion on where it is, outlining what you forsee as potential outcomes from such a system
the system is also very basic, so you should be able to come up with some various ideas as to how i will put it all together and hopefully produce a satisfactory final product

Level 17
One question, the Heretic is a builder and a spell caster? So the basic builder can be used to fight with?

Gameplay
A race like that would require a lot awareness. You would need a good understanding of that race, and other races. Could potentially be quite fun to play, however someone uneducated with the class would have trouble, and to that person, the race will not be enjoyable. Someone who doesnt understand the mana system will start training, let it sit, not notice its out of mana and waste a few minutes which is crucial in a Melee map.7/10

Balance
A race like this with a custom system could sway both directions, It could easily be under powered if mana amounts are low, or if the mana cost of a unit, compared to its usefulness is bad. Also it could be very over powered, better units that are easier to get, throwing down your town hall next to an enemies base, and spamming units with protection from the town hall. 5/10

The Legion
Looking at your first 2 units i believe that there will potentially be a strong synergy between all the units, each having its own special role.8/10

Originality
I have seen Demon races for a long time, its a dead race, over used and remade to death. However with your custom system and a more intelligent demon race makes it a neat idea.6/10

Appearance
The town hall is a little overkill in my opinion, but if you must use it then I'd say make the scale value a little smaller. For the generator its a bit too small for its ground texture so increasing that scaling value to make it look better. That 'demon gate' you are making puts an image in my mind that does not look good for a unit barracks, the name throws it off a little bit maybe something like demon portal would work better.5/10

Gameplay
The goblin race seems like a demoted orc race, i dont see very interesting game play with what you have so far.3/10
BalanceNot enough information to tell whether it will be balanced but a basic melee, and a basic ranged, could be balanced. The heroes seem to be strength heavy so not as much damage but good tanking. If the pyro doesnt have godlike range for a flame thrower then i can see this getting more balanced (Lulz)5.99999/10

The Legion
A little more constant with the ogres, adding a ogre hero. I still think it breaks your theme but if you are being consistent then your units may be better.4/10

Originality
Just a goblin race, not much creativity in normal goblin race, I'd need to see more.4/10

Appearance
Looks good, i like the models, a little more consistent with the ogres but still doesn't look like it fits.. And your food producer is too big for its ground texture, you should give that a little size nerf.5/10

Last edited:
Level 35
as it stands, yes, not sure whether or not I will change that later on
the key idea behind this is i intend to make both the starting low tier units melee, meaning that there is no early ranged unit for the demons (kind of obvious, but also a problem in some respects)
so i decided on the heretic for now, which may end up being a regular ranged fighter rather than a caster, but that will be determined later on (depends on what other units I wish to include)

Level 17
I shall now reveal three of my heroes.. and other stuff.

Things you see in the images may be changed in future.

EDIT: Removed stuff for some reason.
Forgot why but oh well.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.