• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Techtree Contest #1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 32
The Hive Workshop

techtree01.jpg

Techtree Contest

Each contestant must create their own unique techtree for a specific race.
A techtree consists of a complete set of buildings, heroes, items and units for an entire race.

Contest Rules And Conditions
  1. No map may violate any site rules.

2. No imported content is allowed:
    • All icons and models must exist in war3.mpq/war3x.mpq/war3patch.mpq.

3. All techtree editing must be done using World Editor's Object Editor, Advanced Gameplay Interface and Player Properties:
    • No GUI triggers or JASS scripts are permitted.

4. An existing specific race may be chosen for editing:
    • Human, Orc, Night Elf or Undead.

• Alternatively, participants may copy and paste units from other race(s) into the World Editor's Custom Units folder.

5. All techtree editng must be done using Blizzard's default World Editor only. The use of World Editor Unlimited (or any other third party software) is prohibited.

6. Participanys may modify the map's loading loading screen providing that no outside content is imported into the map.

7. Submitted maps may not be "optimized" or protected in any way.

8. Participants must download the attached template map:

(6)EmeraldShores.w3x

edit that map, and then resubmit it as their entry.

9. Completed maps must be physically attached to this thread.

Contest Prizes And Winnings

• First Place: 50 reputation points
    A special award icon
  • Second Place: 30 reputation points
  • Third Place: 25 reputation points

Contest Judging And Voting
  • 40% of the winner shall be determined by appointed judge(s).

• 60% of the winner shall be determined by the results of a public poll.

Contest Dates And Deadline
  • Each map must be complete and submitted five weeks after the contest begins.

• The contest shall begin on 01 September 2007 and conclude on
    21 October 2007 0:00 AM, (GMT)

Attachments

• (6)EmeraldShores.w3x
    193.4 KB · Views: 306
Last edited:
Level 32
...I think raging meant is upgrades like Iron Plating and all that stuff you have at your Blacksmith and so on.
Absolutely!

Such upgrades are also part of a race's techtree. All such editing must take place in World Editor's Object Editor > Abilities.

Would we be aloud to make a fel orc tech tree? Or a Draenei? Since mostly everything is given.
You can create your own techtree and call it whatever you want, using whatever units you like as long as the resulting map adheres to all of the rules posted above: all work is done using the Object Editor only, no resources are imported into the map, no map protection, etc.

Potential arena gladiators who are still unsure of the rules are advised to carefully study the discussion that took place in Poll:Techtree Contest

I have also updated the rules to prohibit the use of World Editor Unlimited and / or any type of map protection or optimization: no exceptions.

[off-topic]

He created the image that is used as a banner for this thread.

Thanks Bob!

[/off-topic]

Last edited:
Level 32
[off-topic]

What will we be judged based on?
I will make my assessment of the submitted maps based upon the following criteria (and recommend, although not require) that other judges and all users do the same.
  • Does the submission adhere closely to the contest's rules?

• How complete is the techtree; how many abilities, items and units have been edited?

• Does the race balance well with the other existing races in the template map?

• How creative and original is the race?

• How well has a contestant used the resources available in the .mpq files?

• How descriptive are the tooltips?

• No other considerations should be taken into account: loading screens, terrain, or any other editing of the map that might take place!
The judging of the submissions will take place only after the completion of the contest: in my opinion, any premature speculation about it is unnecessary.

[/off-topic]

Level 11
Will this be just using the Editor? Or JASS and whatnot as well? I ask not because I can, but wondering if I have any chance in it if that is allowed :p
  • All techtree editing must be done using World Editor's Object Editor and Advanced Gameplay Interface:
    • No GUI triggers or JASS scripts are permitted.

Last edited by a moderator:
I am in.

[*]Does the race balance well with the other existing races in the template map?

So, my custom race has to able to combat melee races?
=/

I was going to make an epic techtree (small, weak and cheap units that are produced in massive scales)As I see, I will need to change my plans.

EDIT: I missunderstod if:

I have to:
a) make my race completely with custom units
b) reskin an existing race

Also, if "a", theres a limit of custom units?

Level 32
I am in.

So, my custom race has to able to combat melee races?
=/

I was going to make an epic techtree (small, weak and cheap units that are produced in massive scales)As I see, I will need to change my plans.

EDIT: I missunderstod if:

I have to:
a) make my race completely with custom units
b) reskin an existing race

Also, if "a", theres a limit of custom units?
Yes, it's important that your new race balance well with the other existing races in the map. There's no limit on custom units, although once again, the race should balance well.

Whats the reson for WEU forbidden? If you only shall edit in object editor it makes little sense.... You would then only use WE stuff. So isnt it allowed :confused:
Because in spite of it's many useful features, World Editor Unlimited nevertheless contains its share of bugs, flaws and quirks.

I use Blizzard's World Editor version 1.21

Any map that cannot be opened using that software will be disqualified. Sorry: NO EXCEPTIONS.

Remember as well: each race includes one shop class building, containing its associated items.
Can't we have the occasional deviation from basics like that to make our race unique? For example, all other races' buildings are stationary, while the night elves' ancients can uproot and move around, not to mention attack to defend themselves.
If you can do it using the Object Editor and and Advanced Gameplay Interface ONLY: do it, more power to you! Mix and match units from other races to create your own ideal custom race if you want.

Last edited:
Level 26
Remember as well: each race includes one shop class building, containing its associated items.
Can't we have the occasional deviation from basics like that to make our race unique? For example, all other races' buildings are stationary, while the night elves' ancients can uproot and move around, not to mention attack to defend themselves.

Level 26
Prepare to feel the wrath of the Arachnid Coalition!!! ARHAHAHA... yeah I need a better name than "coalition". Ill work on that, then maybe on the race itself :p. Cant even think about starting until the name is done, thats just proper etiquette.
How about Arachnid Alliance? Or even better yet, the Arachnid Horde! Wait.. crap..

Level 1
Are we allowed to change gameplay constants?
I actually only want to raise max speed to 522 and to add my race´s hall and heroes into Techtree - Dependency Equivalents.
Thnx for answer (in advance :))

Now we will see a bunch of workers carrying resources without having gold/lumber at their backs and stand while building. Furthermore, there will be a lot of buildings without death/birth animations. If using default workers and buildings it won't look too original.

IMO, there should be a small limit of imports to cover these glitches.

Level 26
ffs people, do the minor things you cannot change matter? Do you see the people at starcraft bitch 24/7 because their marines don't look like archers? No, they shut up and use their imagination, and you should too.

Level 40
Cry me a river. Imports = No creativity.
After awhile, I get tired of seeing a grunt used in the 300th race, and want to see something new. Also see mechanical man's comments.

ffs people, do the minor things you cannot change matter? Do you see the people at starcraft bitch 24/7 because their marines don't look like archers? No, they shut up and use their imagination, and you should too.
Actually, the total conversions tend to make 100% custom graphics.

Finally, no triggers? Well, without triggers, we see heroes with the same old (unoriginal) wc3 basic spells, units harvesting exactly the same way as a melee race, units with no special AI that makes them truly unique, and it would just be nice to see something truly new every once in awhile, yes?

Level 32
No imports suck -.- There are many building - like models in wc3 already, but they lack full animset. and no triggering...
I seriously think that imports should be allowed. Otherwise it's boring. Aspecially how we're allowed no triggering either.
Now we will see a bunch of workers carrying resources without having gold/lumber at their backs and stand while building. Furthermore, there will be a lot of buildings without death/birth animations. If using default workers and buildings it won't look too original.

IMO, there should be a small limit of imports to cover these glitches.
Finally, no triggers? Well, without triggers...
Well guys, you seem to be facing three choices:
  1. Continue to complain, cry, groan, moan, and whine about the contest's rules (publicly, in this thread: therefore spamming it).

2. Bite the bullet, grow up, act like men, obey the rules and do the best you possibly can, using any and all means at your disposal.

3. Not participate in The Hive Workshop's Techtree Contest (check the FAQ: no user is required to take part in any contest).
Users who CONTINUE to exercise option #1 should expect that *something* will hit the fan.

emoticon_hammer.gif

[sound]http://hiveworkshop.com/gfx/wolve/sounds/3whip.wav[/sound]

Level 26
After awhile, I get tired of seeing a grunt used in the 300th race, and want to see something new. Also see mechanical man's comments.
I have. Evidently you just thought I felt like double posting. I'd like to see these 300 races that use grunts.
Actually, the total conversions tend to make 100% custom graphics.
These aren't total conversions. They're just a race. It's not hard to squeeze one out in a month. I'm not going to allow innovation to be replaced by general frank models, as awesome as they might be.
Finally, no triggers? Well, without triggers, we see heroes with the same old (unoriginal) wc3 basic spells, units harvesting exactly the same way as a melee race, units with no special AI that makes them truly unique, and it would just be nice to see something truly new every once in awhile, yes?
I really don't have a comment on the no triggers part. I agree, and yet I disagree. It's not that hard to make a few original spells out of the object editor, but it also brightens up a race to make a few trigger-based spells. Either way, blizzard races don't have six-step spells that involve a variety of special effects. They have fireballs and arrows.
act like men
SEXISM!!!!!!!!!!

Level 40
No, I was actually trying to suggest changes for future Techtree Contests (if hosted) rather than change the rules of this one, wolver. I never had any intention of participating in it (or any other one for that matter, most likely, no matter what the rules be changed to - I just don't have that much interest in making another warcraft race), I just think that you could get a lot more interesting results by giving some more freedom with what they can do.

These aren't total conversions. They're just a race. It's not hard to squeeze one out in a month. I'm not going to allow innovation to be replaced by general frank models, as awesome as they might be.
I was referring to the starcraft users ;)

Also, MySpaceBar, I wasn't saying you hadn't read mechanical man's post, or that you were trying to spam/post for no reason/whatever, I was just trying to say that I agreed with what mechanical man had said, and that my point could be judged as a continuation of what he had written.

Anyways, good luck on the contest, everyone who's participating!

(oh, and wolver, I think the last few comments should be cleaned up, including this post and the 10 or so before it, once you read this)

[EDIT by Wolve]

Yeah. I've known all along that it would eventually be necessary to clean this thread due to the unusual nature of it's concept. I will wait a couple more days before I condense my own posts (and their quotes) down to one and then move all the miscellaneous posts into the (now closed and archived) submission thread.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.