• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Solo Mini-Mapping Contest #7 - Boss Fight

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 9

@DSanhueza, Why is your map protected? :/

It is on the maps section thats why I protect it but once I am totally done with it I will post the final submission unprotected ahaha I often dont finish maps so this one that I finished I want to keep workin on it after te contest is over thats why I protect it :p

/\DSanhueza/\
Also protected. Gonna check later. Look pretty nice from screenshots. But you do not have to credit The Hive Workshop. And that is wrote incorrectly.

My bad, it will be fixed right away and I credited the site because without it nothing would of have happened so its like yeaaa credit the site for all its rescources and tutorials and shit :D

If u guys can give me feedback I would love you for life <3

Level 25
Things to work on:
-Shit load of balancing
-One more spell for the Assassin
Dude! In the Object Editor, go to edit the playable heroes and change Stats - Can Flee from true to false. Aiming is way too hard when the heroes move away when attacked. I agree with Vengeancekael about needing some type of healing or restorative skills for every class. It's just too hard to survive without one, although the assassin was pretty fun for me to play as. Maybe you could give it some type of AoE poison for its last skill. If you're having problems balancing, you could just make different difficulties.

I was considering using a Two Steps from Hell song too, but they're hard to loop smoothly, and you really notice when it ends in a boss fight. If you don't mind that, I think To Glory is cooler. It's more heroic and inspiring to beat the boss down to a pulp with.

-Name for the Boss (could use some help)
You might want to consider the names of fire gods in mythology:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:Fire_gods

-Finding leaks (will be very grateful if you point them out)
Some leaks in the character creation triggers, mostly revolving around floating text and descriptions.

@Tickles, I... have nothing to suggest actually, except that you really should make the map longer and post it in the maps section after this, it's definitely dc-worthy.
Thanks, and I will :thumbs_up:
/\Tickles/\
Very nice map love it. 5/5 Only thing that reduced your score was the moving was sometimes abit stucky. Spin for the win!
Working on the movement to smooth it out a bit and make it more realistic. Thanks :wink:

Level 16
Just a heads up on my combat system.

[Q] Attack - Damages units in front of Emphis.
[W] Slam - A slow but strong area attack.
[E] Bash - Stuns a unit in front of Emphis.
[R] Throw Dagger - Throws a dagger at the targeted location.
[A] Heal - Heals Emphis for every tick(pressing the esc button).
[D] Combo Start - Allows you to utilize combos.

Combo: During combo mode, you can link up to 3 attacks. Each link having a different effect.

We are not one day we are one week from start. So boring really some guys from my school are no match for u, are u like this and in real world. We have muc more time than one day and I want all time. Time for contest is longer and u know that so pls stop. I want to finish my contest and I want time hwat is given to us
@GOD
Pls make him stop

Cokemonkey11

Code Reviewer
Level 29
The contest was given a week's increase in time limit. The last day was therefore supposed to be tomorrow.

This is easily the worst contest I've ever participated in.

• Judgment is improperly weighted.
  • Judges either don't post or they're incompetent to judge maps of this caliber.
  • The contest was too long in the first place.
  • The extension was not widely agreed upon, nor worth while for a MINI-MAPPING contest
  • The person who extended the contest did so by the improper number of days

Basically this was just an epic 35 page, 4 week waste of time, and I'm disappointed.

</rant>

Level 14
The contest was given a week's increase in time limit. The last day was therefore supposed to be tomorrow.

• Judges either don't post or they're incompetent to judge maps of this caliber.
  • The extension was not widely agreed upon, nor worth while for a MINI-MAPPING contest

Basically this was just an epic 35 page, 4 week waste of time, and I'm disappointed.

</rant>

Even bigger waste of time for those who are still doing thier entries.

The contest shall begin on 6th of May, 2012 and conclude on 27th of May, 2012 7th of June, 2012

Nobody said that exactly 1 week extention is given (prove me wrong and quote bowser if he said it). We mostly asked for a week , we got more than a week, for god's sake people. It is something Aero is repeating for a couple of pages now. The final date is the one stated in the main post by the creator of the contest.

The extention was widely agreed on. May I remind you the list of people saying they need it and the two of you saying that you don't.

However I do agree that it is more fitting that people like Vengeancekael shoud do the judge's job.

Remixer

Map Reviewer
Level 31
FieldScoreLast Words

Originality
9/15Pretty nice. Liked exspecially the sandmill thing that was nice idea. Also that shield was pretty nice.
Map Presentation
& Design
9/10You did well with tooltips. Loading screen was also nice. And as a Half-Life fan you get some more points.
Terrain12/25This one was not the best I´ve seen. You should add more objects around the ground not just stones.
Triggers&Efficiency
&Performance
10/10Did not disscover any lag or bugs myself. Also the knockback went pretty smoothly and made the game nicely harder. And I have to admit the revive system was cool.
Object Data8/10Extra effects on units could be cool. The sizes were one of the bests that I have seen. Though something was missing.
Gameplay24/30Gameplay was lag and bug free. High score for that. Also there was some tricky problems and very unique ideas. You have done well with this.

FieldScoreLast Words
Originality15/15You got full scores from here. You can rarely see a watery place and swamp in any maps. Also boss was pretty unique thought there could be something cooler with the boss.
Map Presentation
& Design
4/10Pretty original tooltips. No special colours or any cool effects anywhere neither. Dropped your score pretty much.
Terrain22/25You did very well in here. Your terrain was nicely made and unique. Using your own models you got even higher score.
Triggers&Efficiency
&Performance
8/10Found it bug-free after you updated it. Some texts thought were pretty useless. Also item-drops made with triggers did not make sense for me.
Object Data2/10I was really dissapointed. Original hostile units and items without any changes. You really failed this.
Gameplay13/30Original units and items failed also this part. Some times units dropped totally useless items. I had 3 Vision Pearls. And there was no shop or anything. Also defend-spell was useless. The spells were not balanced neither.

@Remixer, Maybe not write full reviews yet, but just give them suggestions?

Also I've been thinking for the judging criteria:

Originality: 30 Points

Map Presentation/Design: 5 Points

Terrain: 5 Points

Triggering: 5 Points (-5 Bonus Penalty if there really are major leaks and horrible triggering, leading to low fps and high lag)

Object Data: 5 Points

Gameplay: 50 Points

Thoughts anyone? (Maybe I've reduced the points on terraining a little bit too much)

Level 16

</rant>

I seem to recall the host changing the finishing date to the 7th, not to the 3rd. If you feel like this contest is a waste of time you can withdraw your entry at any moment. If you have a problem with the judging, withdraw your entry. If you have a problem with the people in this thread, withdraw your entry.

You and aeroblycetos are throwing a pissy fit over the extension. Please just stop. Also aero, when a map mod decides to give you critical feedback, you shouldn't simply just blow it off, be a dick, and be sarcastic. You should pay attention to what he's saying.

Level 14

Triggering: 5 Points (-5 Bonus Penalty if there really are major leaks and horrible triggering, leading to low fps and high lag)

Thoughts anyone? (Maybe I've reduced the points on terraining a little bit too much)
How is it gameplay 50 but terrain and triggers each 5 when the first is made from the other two?

Pretty much terrain is atleast 15 to 20. A succesful atmophere and style is only applied via good terrain and there is no known trigger (to me) that can do that.
Anyway if aiming for the mass of players that mind mostly the gameplay than the thin group of such that value the eyecandy put behind the game and the atmosphere it represents , I would suggest a balance between terrain and gameplay (simply better gameplay comes with better terrain for many people, even if you have godly skills in triggering a badly sized tree or doodad can make you unable to enjoy parts of the game that would seem blank or covered by inappropriatly placed decors, or the lack of such.)

I'd say Gameplay 30, Terrain 15, Triggers 15.

Given that my thoughts are correct a penalty of points shoud be put to terrain that reduces the quality of gameplay like enemy units going through unpathed doodads or large doodads that block the sight vision in key locations that such vision is required.

@AERO
U just somehow don't have good sense for humor xD(or at least u have strange). U are selfish ( when I asked u something about terrain u just ignored). We are here to share not just to be ME and ME (that's idiom in my country). You should share your knowlage, how would u fell to everybody are hiding everything from u. And about ''**ck thing'' I thing to that was about vengencekael suggestions and leak. xD. Just relax dude, we are hero for fun, take suggestions from others, give suggestions to other do not be just negative or at least neutral (do not get hammered for every single thing what someone have told u)

ABOUT MY ENTRY

I do not think to I will finish it, good luck to all of u. I was so close, but and that is enough for first time xD. I will at least try, and 100% for about 20 h I will upload what I have done(if I finish then and earlier)

If you feel like this contest is a waste of time you can withdraw your entry at any moment. If you have a problem with the judging, withdraw your entry. If you have a problem with the people in this thread, withdraw your entry.
And if for example the host is doing unjust things, just withdraw your entry and not complain at all? I think not.

Also aero, when a map mod decides to give you critical feedback, you shouldn't simply just blow it off, be a dick, and be sarcastic. You should pay attention to what he's saying.
Yes maybe his response wasn't 'that' friendly, but it was rather my mistake to point out such small details, but I guess I wanted to make sure there weren't any leaks at all, because you never know how the judge will judge your triggers.

"WORLD IS BURNING! WORLD IS REALLY BURNING! We see a leak in the starting trigger that doesn't even loop... And one leak can... DESTROY THE WORLD! Oh seriously, I'm usually pretty accurate with memory leaks but that I have forgot!"

^I don't find it that offensive, you can clearly detect his sarcasm.

And about my version of the judging criteria, yeah maybe something like this:

Originality: 20 Points

Terrain: 10 Points

Triggering: 10 Points

Also lets not focus on Aero's or anyone's behavior now, you guys are close to the deadline and should focus on the main topic.

Terran is important, and you are not aloved to change judging just like that. Contact arena moderators and contest host first.

Who said we're changing it? :p We don't have the power, we're just suggesting it and if the judges/host were that nice to at least check the thread once in a while, everyone would really appreciate it. (maybe not me since I'm not a contestant)

Level 25
Since there's suggestions coming from all different point values, I think it's best just to leave this contest's scoring and deadline as is, and then focus on making the point values more balanced for the next contest. This contest got way too out of hand, so let's just get it over with the way it is.

If anyone does post the next contest ahead of time, either think carefully about points in relation to the theme or consider suggestions about changing it before the contest becomes official. That way... none of this will happen. Also, I think it would be good to give a full month (ending the same day it started in the first month) for any theme and to stick with it to avoid confusion/arguments.

Oh and since we're about to hit the few days left rush again, good luck everybody :goblin_yeah:

Level 9
I personally think that vengeancekael should be one of the judges, hes got more experience reviewing and approving maps so I think it should be a perfect fit but this is just an opinion. We only have a few days before deadline so stop complainin and finish polishin ur map :B

Level 28
@Dat-3C who dafaq said that terrain is not important on gameplay. So lets make a aos map with no doodads, no cliffs no pathing etc etc etc etc etc, do you think that game will make any sense? NO! so shut your mouth about terrain if you don't know a s**t! Your point is trying to say that terrainers are useless, but on the other thread you keep saying that we need to make a playable map since its will help coders like you. Dafaq you don't make any sense.

Last thing don't tell people what they want to do on their map, if they want to make high quality terrain(that you can't do) let them be. Also fix your grammar I don't speak alien language.

Level 16
Terrain is equal to what again? Oh yeah "code", please re-read everything before trying to troll me, thank you. Terrain is important I said, but so is triggers/code for they are equal in score it should of been. You know what? You are just showing all of us how childish you really are, I don't even need to respond back with negativity thanks to you. :thumbs_up:
I most likely know much more about terraining then you at least from the looks of it. My point is terrain should be equal to triggers in a contest like this. Apparently your the one failing to make sense. I am not telling people what they want to do on their map, I just want the scores to be fair and equal for if I lose to a terrainer with epic terrain, but bad gameplay then that is just sad. See my point yet? My point you fail to see is fairness, not rigged contests. Sorry you have failed so far to see this, guess I fail at explaining. Hope this helps as well I don't speak the alien language you seem to want to speak so don't bother me about grammar, if it disturbs you that much then click quote and fix every single little mistake you see. :thumbs_up: Oh, and one last thing fix your grammar too.

Hey hey hey children, let's play nice. Level design is just as valid a job as programming, and both have to be done before a game is finished. The reason that there are more points in the terrain section then the programming is because it's easier to judge how well it works. If everything works and there are no leaks, that should be a 10 for coding/efficiency. If you have playable terrain and it's only cliffs, it won't and shouldn't get full points.

Imagine a game with all untextured, straight edged and uneasthetically pleasing walls covering the whole game. No one will want to buy this game, or play this game. People are enticed by graphics, or how good something looks. It's damn near impossible to make wc3 look nice since it's so dated (compared to the UDK which I've been working with it looks prehistoric), but there are many things you can do to make it a better experience for the player. Look at DotA, fun game, great gameplay, but it doesn't have nice terrain and people bitch sooooo much about that. Take a look at the DotA hate thread somewhere on OT (Used it as an example, lets not turn this into a DotA thread).

Let's take a look at a real world example. Lee Perry, a level designer from epic games, said this
That said, learning basic decent visual meshing is what gets people jobs. It's sad but true that visual candy will trump scripting experience in 9 out of 10 hiring situations for LDs.
>source -- http://udn.epicgames.com/Three/CreatingLevels.html#Advice from Epic Level Designers

If it really is a bother you can ask the host to change it next contest, but this close to the deadline people shouldn't be monkeying around with the scoring for this contest.

Level 14
Your saying http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Terran is important? This ain't starcraft...

Code/triggers > Terrain... Though terrain is quite important, it is less however in this type of contest for it is solo, and usually the solo contests split this way. ;

Terrainers
Triggerers/coders

Terrain just doesn't make gameplay, it doesn't make games, it only polishes it more then anything. However you rejected my map for terraining... not for bad triggers or unplayable gameplay, but for terrain.

Here is an example of a director-cut quality map ; http://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/...etav3v-163910/?prev=d=list&r=20&u=nightelf125

Examples of maps with average terrain which hit director-cut quality ;

http://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/maps-564/swat-aftermath-1-10-a-81307/?prev=mmr=6
http://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/maps-564/magic-gathering-sc-1-54-a-81611/?prev=mmr=6

So you call us trolls, point that everyone is wrong but you don't know the diffrence between gameplay and code. How lightly would anyone take your opinion then. Those maps are DC's because of the gameplay features that they offer not the triggers alone. And if you like triggering and coding so much then perhaps it is time for you to leave this one which is neither terraining nor coding but a map contest.

Oh and btw do you even compete in this contest ? I am curious of your wip's with the great coding and such.

Right now you are the only one trolling this topic with pages of useless comments and a badly explained poit of view.Linking dc's claiming the triggers made them what they are ( I would be curious to see a dc's about a futuristic horror survival without exported models, terrain aaaaaaand systems/triggers/coding), calling other people trolls but trolling at the same god damn comment, and a grammar nazi also ? That is just too much for someone to take you seriously. However do feast your eyes on Jazztastic's example which makes pretty much more sense than those 10 pages of crap, and tell us again how you know better than everyone else.
Aero is atlest in the contest while Cokemonkey also gave good suggestions over the pages. You on the other hand are just annoying.

Is this forum having no athorities to give some order? There are like 10 pages of spam and whining.
Argue all you want but the clock is ticking for those who tend to put more efford in their entries.

Last edited:
Level 16
WiP time

=====================

The Slaying of King Terenas is a 4 player co-op game with the central idea of training your hero to assassinate King Terenas. A (yet to be finished) band of warriors must prove themselves to the Lich King by killing King Terenas. To do this each hero is given 3 abilities which are unique. Each ability includes 3 different characteristics which can be upgraded. This gives a lot higher level of customization to the game and also makes it a bit more RPG'ish.

The objective of the game is to lay waste to the town you spawn at. After killing a certain amount of combatants and civilians, and completing minor quests, King Terenas and his band of faithful warriors will arrive to deal with the Undead threat. This is where the Undead heroes must fight King Terenas and take him down in stages.

One of the things I'm going to focus on is randomness and customizability. I want the game to feel different each time so it's something I would actually want to play with my friends. I doubt the heroes will ever fully research everything that can be upgraded. There will also be training quests to give you experience and items. I want to implement a large amount of these in order to freshen gameplay, and only have a few each game.

A big hassle for me is AI control. I'm not good at creating AI, and I really feel limited by the events available in the GUI editor (too dumb for JASS). So I decided most of the AI will run off of zone control. Units will patrol, and have some passive and automatically active skills. Units will cast spells that are unique when player controlled units leave/enter regions. Most of the map is covered in regions so that'll work for what it is intended for. The players also have an AI ally, but it will work differently. For the most part the allied AI will move dumbly towards whatever objective is in place, or just walk around finding villagers to kill. However, I am planning on adding an ability for every hero that would allow them to give the AI orders. If it was cast on an ally, they would patrol the ally (follow them), on a building, they would guard it, on an enemy, they would attack it, on a position they would attack move to it. I usually hate the things AI do, so I want players to be able to direct the AI.

I'm trying to have 0 imports for my map. It is very hard finding the right models, and especially icons, for what I need, but WC3 provides a very large host of options. I feel like I'll be able to do it.

PROGRESS:

Terrain: 99%
OE: 50%
Heroes: 33% (I want at least 3 for the contest)
Triggers/scripts: 55% (Early game taken care of. A system is set up for selection/adding abilities. I just need to get events)
AI: 0% (Only needs to be at about 50% for playable)

I will be able to finish in time. Map attached, please give feedback on the leveling system. Creating all the researches and linking them is incredibly time consuming so I want to know if it turned out well. Also, the progress on heroes takes a long time so once I get over that hump it will be very, very easy to finish.

Attachments

• The Slaying of King Terenas.w3x
    96.1 KB · Views: 84
Level 37
Everyone have different humor and the comment about world burning is purely a joke. Everyone should see it that way. It is pure sarcasm.

@AERO
U just somehow don't have good sense for humor xD(or at least u have strange). U are selfish ( when I asked u something about terrain u just ignored). We are here to share not just to be ME and ME (that's idiom in my country). You should share your knowlage, how would u fell to everybody are hiding everything from u. And about ''**ck thing'' I thing to that was about vengencekael suggestions and leak. xD. Just relax dude, we are hero for fun, take suggestions from others, give suggestions to other do not be just negative or at least neutral (do not get hammered for every single thing what someone have told u)

You suggested some pages ago to improve the terrain but as I explained to you already I lost weeks ago the motivation towards my entry I just don't feel like working on it for a while. I'm definitely not a selfish person.

You and aeroblycetos are throwing a pissy fit over the extension. Please just stop. Also aero, when a map mod decides to give you critical feedback, you shouldn't simply just blow it off, be a dick, and be sarcastic. You should pay attention to what he's saying.

Actually it is my mistake saying few days ago that tomorrow the contest ends. I remembered the contest ended at 3.6 but it was 7.6. I do and can listen both positive and negative criticism that's no problem for me. Believe me, I've been criticized over the years so much about the campaign I've been making, and that has made the campaign better.

I'm waiting for another contest, I feel like this contest had some highs and lows. We got many entries, but at the same time we didn't agree on some things like the deadline and how we're going to judge our entries. Also the actual host is just too silent and that is really scary, he should be here with us discussing.

New report:
-Added healing abilities:
Knight: Last Stand (gives 200 hp, and then slowly loses 100)
Assassin: Lifesteal (frontal AoE lifesteal attack)
Archer: Run for your life (heals up to 100 hp if you keep moving)
Wizard: Healing Spirits (channeled heal, 3 seconds, heals 100hp)
-Disabled leveling, you are automatically level 10
-Removed all known leaks and bugs
-Added ability for Assassin: Venom Flask (AoE dps)

Remixer

Map Reviewer
Level 31

I would go for Originality 25 points, object data 20 points and gameplay 40

> And I will make full review as soon as I think map makers are fully done with their map.

Level 14
Another WIP from me, not too many major changes. Still didn't even start balancing it. I didn't write any tooltips, either. I added sounds and tried to reduce lag.

Things to work on:
-Tooltips
-Game messages
-Improving character creation
-Reducing lag further
-Maybe adding some more sounds
I found it hard to see the character icons and the arrows in the pick menu. Maybe it's just me I will try it again when it's darker outside. Sun coming from everywhere...I am glad I am not a vampire.

Ok I tried it. I see you changed the model from the original boss. I think there are quite a lot of models that can do for this one like the doomguard and others. However the imported model has some great animations that I strongly suggest you utilize in the fight to make it look more festive.

I was a little frustrated with the locked camera, perhaps you should make an option to turn that off. I can't see and evaluade the battle area or the places the creeps spawn or send my hero to travel to longer distances without clicking like a lunatic.
I tried the archer and noticed that the Q arrow is too wide ranged. I managed to hit multiple tarets with one arrow, so I would suggest eiter make the arrow larger or the area of effect smaller. It looks unnatural.
For custom interface I doubt a Resident Evil theme fits your entry. There was a nice cavern theme somewhere here in the hive. If I can find it I will link it to you. edit: http://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/1866334-post2.html
Use sounds from the firelords and pitlord, try to pitch them a little to match.
If you want to remove the need to trigger 'order unit x to attack unit y' increase the acquisition range to a large number and the creep guard distance from the gameplay constants to a also large number. Then reveal the map via trigger for neutral hostile (or the player who the enemy units belong to, I didn't pay attention)

Lordkoon: said:
I was a little frustrated with the locked camera, perhaps you should make an option to turn that off. I can't see and evaluade the battle area or the places the creeps spawn or send my hero to travel to longer distances without clicking like a lunatic.
For custom interface I doubt a Resident Evil theme fits your entry. There was a nice cavern theme somewhere here in the hive. If I can find it I will link it to you. edit: http://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/1866334-post2.html
Use sounds from the firelords and pitlord, try to pitch them a little to match.
If you want to remove the need to trigger 'order unit x to attack unit y' increase the acquisition range to a large number and the creep guard distance from the gameplay constants to a also large number. Then reveal the map via trigger for neutral hostile (or the player who the enemy units belong to, I didn't pay attention)

I won't unlock the camera, but I might create a camera editing system.

I think resident evil fits better.

Yeah, I already used sounds from them.

Will do the last thing. Thanks for help :D

Level 11
Hello guys! I am back with my first playable WIP!

Although i highly recommend to download this ONLY if you want to check that work in progress is actually mine when i release the final version, because this WIP might ruin the surprise of playing the map when it contains full features.

attachment.php

THE ARACHNID LAIR

I've changed the boss model, btw.

attachment.php

I still have to work on the other hero abilities as most of them are not finished properly.

Changes to be made (i hope i can finish in maybe 2 days from now):
- Hero skillsets
- Hero customization system
- Rune system
- Give proper credits
- Balance!
- Misc (Details! Sounds, SFX and other simple stuff to eyecandy my work)

The Arachnid Lair v1.0 BETA
View attachment The Arachnid Lair by BetaGod v1.0 BETA.w3x

Attachments

• Dibujo.png
    Dibujo.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 352
  • Header.png
    Header.png
    441.7 KB · Views: 369
Level 16

Although i highly recommend to download this ONLY if you want to check that work in progress is actually mine when i release the final version, because this WIP might ruin the surprise of playing the map when it contains full features.

attachment.php

THE ARACHNID LAIR

attachment.php

I still have to work on the other hero abilities as most of them are not finished properly.

View attachment 114618

The enviroment is very intense looking. I love the green fog, it makes so much sense for a spider lair.

Level 14

attachment.php

THE ARACHNID LAIR

attachment.php

View attachment 114618

I hardly understood what's going on in the fight :ogre_hurrhurr:
I am also making spell improving runes for my entry, it is nice that I am not the only one who thinks of such hero skills.
I wonder what are the tomes for? edit: found out ^^

Status
Not open for further replies.