• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Paired Concept Art & Short-Story Contest - WarCraft IV: Atlas of Destruction

Status
Not open for further replies.
160036-albums7436-picture85973.png

160036-albums4747-picture89084.png

160036-albums4747-picture89085.png

You have been recruited to visualize a completely new character for WarCraft IV. Based on your experience on WarCraft world, create the concept art piece for such a character, followed by a short story that chronicles the background and reveals his/her personality traits.

You can either work exclusively on your own or team up with a member of Hiveworkshop, who will ideally assist you in the task you consider yourself inadequate to fulfill.

160036-albums7436-picture89161.png

• All submissions are subject to the Site's Rules.
  • Teamwork outside of the registered team's scope is prohibited. A team cannot be composed of more than two (2) members.
  • No one is to join multiple teams; even in the case of submitting an entry as an individual, you may not be a member of a team at the same time.
  • It is your responsibility to have proper communication with your mate. Should there be any problems, you can address the issue to any assigned Arena moderators and/or administrators.
  • Disqualification possibilities include:
    • Forgery and/or carbon copies (for both concept art and short story parts).
    • Techniques such as photo manipulation, paint-over or tracing.
    • Initiating or participating in unhealthy discussions and ranting.
    • Lack of Works in Progress. You must present at least one image and an excerpt before posting your final submission.
    • Entries that clearly deviate from the predetermined theme. That said, you are creating lore and concept art for a campaign hero who makes sense in the WarCraft world.
    • Plagiarism.
  • You may include details or highlight previous events that are already known to us (via WarCraft lore) to instill a feeling of continuation. These details are related to the writing style (and secondary language used) and the conceptual details of the character. However, you need to avoid plagiarism and also you have to keep in mind that inclusion of such events may not exceed 20% of the total body of the story.
  • Coloring your concept art piece is not mandatory.
  • The character can have a companion, just like Rexxar, but this secondary story must not overshadow the portrait of the main character's.
  • Your character should be depicted full-body, but you are encouraged to enhance the presentation with one or two additional perspectives or close-ups to make potential armor or body details clearer.
  • The story cannot exceed 12,000 words and cannot be shorter than 2,000.
  • The final submission must be packed as a .zip or WinRar (.rar) file, including:
    • The concept art image(s) in *.jp(e)g, *.png, *.bmp, *.tga formats. The judge(s) hold(s) the right to be provided with file-types associated with PhotoShop, GIMP or any other image manipulation software that you have used (if you have).
    • A *.doc, *.docx or *.txt file of your story.
    • Files must be conventionally named as [Entrant's Nickname_Submission Name.file-type [jpg/txt]].
    • Zip/Rar file must be conventionally named as [Entrant's or Entrants' Nickname(s)_Submission Name.zip/.rar].

160036-albums7436-picture85977.png

First Place

160036-albums4747-picture89172.png

A T-shirt with a stamp of the winning concept art on the front side and an excerpt of the accompanying story on the back, shipped directly at your place without any costs.
Many colors (and sizes) are available and it's the winner's choice!

(This is only a preview and does not relate to the actual product; in case of a team, both team members will receive the T-shirt.)
voiceactingcontest3i.gif

The winning entry's award icon, designed by our dear Sin'dorei300.
50 reputation to the winning member(s).

Second and Third Place

200%/150% boosted reputation for the next 5/3 contests (of any type) that you will join (stacks with events' bonuses, such as the Starlight Legacy).40 reputation each.

160036-albums7436-picture89162.png

Short Story
/100

Creativity & Concept
The quality and originality of imagery involved in the narration of the events, the character and the flow of the story; the consistency and congruence with the concept art./30

Persistence to detail
The details that spark images to the reader's mind; the depth of analysis that will generate possibilities and questions, such that the plot becomes more and more intricate./20

Personality
How the character is presented; what kind of qualities and personal traits he/she has been given - how they support or conflict with the events, the past, the present, the future and the character's emotions and decisions./30

Eloquence & Style
The ability to transform words into images; how these words structure the characters, the events, the landscapes; the selection of words that convey the message in the most appropriate way possible; the vividness of description and the writing capacity./20

Concept Art

/100

Creativity & Concept
The ability to convey a story through the pose, the physical characteristics and potentially the gear; the congruence with the short story./30

Theme
The thematic consistency with the WarCraft world; the realism that arises from potential evolutionary forces (as transcending from WarCraft III to WarCraft IV); the outfits and equipment that are influenced by tradition, culture, religion, but also the ability to utilize such factors and go beyond./30

Persistence to detail
The interesting visual elements and attributes that provoke fascination, admiration and questions in regards to the character's background./20

Execution
Artistic techniques used, anatomy and efficiency in proportions, shadows and lighting, distribution of coloring and creative use of tones, hues, tints and shades (Reference). As stated in the rules, coloring is not mandatory./20

20% of the score is affected by a public poll and 80% by the assigned judges.

160036-albums7436-picture85979.png

The contest shall begin on 1st of October and conclude on 31st of December.

Last edited by a moderator:
Level 23
Wow, this seems legitimately interesting. Hell, it made me actually make a post on the forums for the first time in years. Call me a negative Nancy, but this may be the first good contest since like 2011.

In any case, I'll certainly track this, good luck and brilliant breakthroughs to the future competitors.

Kyrbi0

Arena Moderator
Level 45
A T-Shirt?? Seriously? Wow. This is like, a fo'srs Contest gaiz. : ) I'm a little leery about my (?) writing & someone's artwork being put up for display... But I can't deny that it's cool. Who's footing the bill?

Also, "increased Rep gained by X% in future Contests"? That just screams 'broken'. Still, very interesting idea. : )

~~

Y'know, I may just join this... I can't draw worth a darn, but I can write. If someone makes cool artwork & can't find someone to join them, I'll offer my services (or at least try). Can't promise much, with all my schooling & these other Contests, but it seems fun.

Looking forward to more Joint Contests. : )

//EDIT// - As per Pharaoh's suggestion, check my "Spellchecker & Tooltip Thread" link in my sig for some examples of my writing prowess-itude. :D

That's the point, you find someone who is able to draw and sketch (and potentially -also optimally- paint), since you have the capacity to write :)

You have plenty of time to ask around.

As a hint, you are encouraged to write a small paragraph so that the concept artist can estimate the quality of your work. The paragraph can pertain to something random or be related to the contest's theme, but not necessarily dictate conceptual features of the character, unless they actually want to get some inspiration.

This applies to concept artists as well; if you have trouble finding your ideal partner, use this thread as showcase to recruit one (preferably links to portfolio or albums; in case of attaching images, use hidden tags).

Kyrbi0

Arena Moderator
Level 45
That's the point, you find someone who is able to draw and sketch (and potentially -also optimally- paint), since you have the capacity to write :)

You have plenty of time to ask around.

As a hint, you are encouraged to write a small paragraph so that the concept artist can estimate the quality of your work. The paragraph can pertain to something random or be related to the contest's theme, but not necessarily dictate conceptual features of the character, unless they actually want to get some inspiration.

This applies to concept artists as well; if you have trouble finding your ideal partner, use this thread as showcase to recruit one (preferably links to portfolio or albums; in case of attaching images, use hidden tags).

Yeah I know; that's basically what my post was ("hey guys, I just met you, and this is crazy, but I can't draw, so let me write for you maybe?" :p).

Actually, something I've seen done with a lot of success was having a separate "Matchmaking/Team-Making" thread for these Joint Contests. It keeps all that discussion in one place, not only making it easy to find someone (cute little table on the 1st post helps), but also keeping all that discussion out of this "main" thread.

Just a thought.

Anyways, If the winner dont want the shirt, what could he or she can do? Maybe give the shirt to the person who he wants to give it? But really, what is Warcraft III Atlas of Destruction?

We send it and he does whatever he wants with it.

Atlas of Destruction is a sample name, mainly to boost your inspiration. It is not a thematic constraint.

Level 12
T-shirt? great
Picture of winning entry on the front? nice
Story on the back? somewhat.. really uncool

Better limit the backprint to a small amount of words, in any case only occupying a small area of the back. Like "Gilgamesh - destroyer of worlds" on the back of the right shoulder. That way the shirt can also be worn in the public without you appearing to be a 'nerd'.

Kyrbi0

Arena Moderator
Level 45
Well, it looks like me and the wonderful Mad will be joining forces to DOMINATE this one, guys... Might as well give up now. :p

We're still working on a team name, but worry thee not; it shall come and it shall be awexome.

~~~

Atlas of Destruction is a sample name, mainly to boost your inspiration. It is not a thematic constraint.
Oookkkk... Is there any way to open up the naming of these things to a public poll in the future, maybe? : )

That's what an "excerpt" is. :p
Ah, good. We get to choose the excerpt, right?

Level 9
I would love to join! This is like the only thing I do! I am looking for an artist to team up with right now, but I haven't done a contest yet, we can start working on it and have our first WIP on October first? or you cannot start until October first..?

Kyrbi0

Arena Moderator
Level 45
I may just set up that "team matchmaking/networking" thread if no one else wants to...

That being said, it might be nice to divide the "Rules" section up into "Writers" Rules and "Artists" Rules, for ease-of-reading.

Also, question: It doesn't say anywhere, but can we join multiple teams? (e.g. I'm an artist, and I want to lend my artistry to two different Writers, so I join 2 teams as an Artist). Alternatively, may we join multiple teams as long as we fulfill different roles? (e.g. I want to be the Artist for one team, and the Writer for another)?

Granted, I can't imagine anyone with the time to do this, but nevertheless it should be explicitly stated. : )

~~~

Oookkkk... Is there any way to open up the naming of these things to a public poll in the future, maybe? : )

Ah, good. We get to choose the excerpt, right?

Poll for naming? No, I don't see any need for that and it only hinders the process for no substantial reason (name's not functional, it's cosmetic). As I said, Atlas of Destruction could be a potential name for WarCraft IV; it doesn't impose any restrictions on what you should do.

Yes, you get to choose the excerpt, as long as both of the team members agree.

or you cannot start until October first..?

There's your answer. Though you can start planning and/or drafting.

I may just set up that "team matchmaking/networking" thread if no one else wants to...

That being said, it might be nice to divide the "Rules" section up into "Writers" Rules and "Artists" Rules, for ease-of-reading.

Also, question: It doesn't say anywhere, but can we join multiple teams? (e.g. I'm an artist, and I want to lend my artistry to two different Writers, so I join 2 teams as an Artist). Alternatively, may we join multiple teams as long as we fulfill different roles? (e.g. I want to be the Artist for one team, and the Writer for another)?

The topic will be created within the Arena and it will be updated with the entrants. Participation is allowed even after the contest's initiation, this is why it doesn't make a lot of sense to set up a thread like that so prematurely.

The point of them being merged is for both parties to equally acknowledge each others' rules.

No, one can not join multiple teams, under no circumstances. Thanks for asking, I'll update the rules.

Last edited:

Deleted member 212788

D

Deleted member 212788

I'd gladly offer my poetical skills but I have a question. For those of us who prefer to write in verse and tend to rarely go past 1 000 words, how are we supposed to reach 3 500? I mean, I guess I could force myself to write a giant-ass poem but it's going to get repetitive at some point.

Last edited by a moderator:

Deleted member 212788

D

Deleted member 212788

You can as far as I know but you have to handle both sides of it - the concept art and the story.

On a side note, anyone good with concept art interested in teaming up?

If you can draw even a bit, I suggest you tried it out, don't be intimidated by that. I purposefully made the execution weigh less than the theme and the concept. Try out some tutorials and put your imagination in what you do. You can also look for inspiration on various Google images with the keywords 'fantasy character concept art'.

Who knows, maybe you'll eventually like it, improve, and become the next concept artist :)

Deleted member 212788

D

Deleted member 212788

That still doesn't answer my question, are poets also to abide by the 3.500 word rule or do they get a different set of limits?

Deleted member 212788

D

Deleted member 212788

Ah I see. It's a bit discouraging for me but if someone wants to team up I'll write a normal story.

EDIT: I know I look desperate but if I actually manage to get a poem to 3 500 words will it be accepted?

Kyrbi0

Arena Moderator
Level 45
Ah I see. It's a bit discouraging for me but if someone wants to team up I'll write a normal story.

EDIT: I know I look desperate but if I actually manage to get a poem to 3 500 words will it be accepted?
It's not a matter of looking 'desperate', but it is unorthodox. However, nowhere in the rules do I see anything about not writing a poem; rather, your "short story" entry can be in a poetic style (basically a short-story-length poem), so I'd imagine you can go right ahead.

Might be difficult, but doable I s'pose. Just like Beowulf or the Iliad/Odysey or one of the other classic epics (<- and I use that word literally).

Deleted member 212788

D

Deleted member 212788

I'm not entirely sure I'd be able to write something the size of Dante's Inferno but I might as well try. If I manage to get 1 000 words, that would be a personal achievement so yeah, challenge accepted :D.

EDIT: I have nearly 3 months, should be doable.

Deleted member 212788

D

Deleted member 212788

Well, I am officially in since I found a partner. My IRL friend Rally aka GpgRally. Let the games begin :)

Status
Not open for further replies.