• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Solu9's Sideshow

Status
Not open for further replies.
The environment in the making.
This is without any lightmap baking and just a standard directional light.

Screenshot_005.jpgScreenshot_006.jpgScreenshot_007.jpg

I'm beginning to get a bit bored with this terrain. I think I should have had an overall plan for the city layout before I began :p

Damn wish I could make stuff like that...

Get a 3D modeling program and get to it!

Some details have been added to the models so I'm slowly moving away from the block-out phase.
There are still a lot of types of windows/doors/balconies etc. which I would love to add.

Here are a few screenies of examples on how the houses can be assembled:
(UWs are not completely done on all models)

Screenshot_008.jpg
(The above image is a bit older but I like the composition :)

Screenshot_010.jpgScreenshot_011.jpgScreenshot_012.jpg

Edit:
I should add. I have no idea where this is going. It's the character assignment I did earlier which has evolved into a modular building kit because she needed an environment to play in.
I'll probably set up a full scene at some point (when I'm satisfied with the amount of modular models!!).

Last edited:
I made an update for the Brick Floor tile, so it looks like this instead of the old:
BrickFloor_v2_001.jpgBrickFloor_v2_002.jpg

I begun sculpting the protagonist for the programming students' game. A couple of screen shots here. Unfortunately I have to keep the detail level quite low since I have a pretty tight deadline (and of course I'm still new to sculpting).
FemaleChar_Screen01.jpgFemaleChar_Screen02.jpg
(These images are of the wip sculpt)

I would like to have uploaded some screens from the minimalistic environment but the project is on another computer.

Thank you guys :)

Are you doing these for a game or something?

Well not a game exactly. The woman, the jail/dungeon system, and the male guard is for an exams project some programming students are making.
So it's more like a demo game I would say.

Here are some more WIPs of the male guard:
Jail_Guard_001.jpgJail_Guard_002.jpgJail_Guard_003.jpgJail_Guard_004.jpg

And I thought I might as well upload some screen shots of a month long environment project I did in August with 4 other 3D students.
It's a desert wasteland settlement:
ScreenShot00002.pngScreenShot00003.pngScreenShot00004.pngScreenShot00005.pngScreenShot00006.pngScreenShot00007.pngScreenShot00012.pngScreenShot00014.pngScreenShot00015.pngScreenShot00016.pngScreenShot00017.pngScreenShot00018.pngScreenShot00019.pngScreenShot00020.pngScreenShot00021.pngScreenShot00022.png

Are you going to try to turn them into Warcraft III models afterwards? It would be a shame for them not to be used for anything...

I don't think I'm going to do that. It will take quite a lot of time not to mention that I have to get them animated.
I'm creating models to get better and for my port folio. I have to get an internship at some point :)

I guess the eyes are mostly to blame. The guy seems like he is possessed or frozen from fear or something. I dunno', it just doesn't look like a normal human being.

Hah. You are so right. The eyes are huge and quite eerie. I should have done something about them. I couldn't though. The guy who had the animation job was already at the go. So if I were to change the mesh it would screw up his facial rigging.

But true. I could just upload a version later where I have "fixed" the eyes.
But I kinda like the psychopathic look he has :p

What's the Hive gonna' do with plumbing?

Alright. I'm not sure how to tackle you.
If you don't like what I'm doing, then that's fine, but please try to lessen the amount of comments, and tell me what seems to be the problem.
Give me constructive feedback instead. Most of your (many) comments can't be used for anything.

deepstrasz

Map Reviewer
Level 69
If you don't like what I'm doing, then that's fine, but please try to lessen the amount of comments, and tell me what seems to be the problem.
Give me constructive feedback instead. Most of your (many) comments can't be used for anything.
You're taking things rather personally. I was just curious. But never mind. I can unsubscribe, you know, no biggie. Probably, you're the type of person who doesn't like being criticized or something. Anyways, it was just a question, not a critique or any type of satire.

The UI is almost done.
I'm posting this screen shot so if any of you have anything you think needs change please do tell.

screenshot113.png
or perhaps this?
screenshot117.png

Note:
This is uncompressed. The .blp will screw it up real good.

Edit:
UI wip 001.png

Edit2:
I decided to keep on pushing it.
Here is an in game screen shot.
The overall thing needs to be darkened and the area around the items need to be a lot darker: I'm thinking the green metal should suffice.
An actual border around the portrait could also be a nice addition.
Steampunk-UI_wip_004.png

Last edited:

Kyrbi0

Arena Moderator
Level 45
A small update on the UI.
It's all just solid colors right now and I still need to add more details.

View attachment 151149

Edit:
Oh yeah. Feedback is appreciated.
Fx. I might have overdone the prop count. But I can't decide.
Looks neat. I'll agree, I think you may have a few too many 'nurnies'... Though that really begs the question: is this made for Wc3? Like, made in the sense of "fitting in with the original 4"? Because if not, then it might not be a big deal at all.

Personally, I think it looks pretty solidly "steam-punk", and I'm fascinated by your methods (i.e. making a 3D model & then "flattening" it?). Not sure how it'll all work when it comes to actually using it, but interesting nonetheless.

I'm fairly certain (despite his claim to the contrary) that he was simply being facetious (i.e. sarcastic without the 'bite').
deepstrasz said:
What's the Hive gonna' do with plumbing?
Yeah, "plumbing" as in all the pipes & steam-punk stuff you have on there.

You're taking things rather personally. I was just curious. But never mind. I can unsubscribe, you know, no biggie. Probably, you're the type of person who doesn't like being criticized or something. Anyways, it was just a question, not a critique or any type of satire.
I'm not sure about that... I think it's pretty clearly a joke on your part, but you missed putting a smiley or something on the end, so Solu9 took it completely seriously.

Looks neat. I'll agree, I think you may have a few too many 'nurnies'... Though that really begs the question: is this made for Wc3? Like, made in the sense of "fitting in with the original 4"? Because if not, then it might not be a big deal at all.

Personally, I think it looks pretty solidly "steam-punk", and I'm fascinated by your methods (i.e. making a 3D model & then "flattening" it?). Not sure how it'll all work when it comes to actually using it, but interesting nonetheless.

That is a good question.
The original plan was to make a bit more realistic UI for more realistic maps. Perhaps steampunk is not the best theme to go then, but I did it anyway :p
I think I'll keep most of the smaller props for now. After I upload we'll see what to most people want.
After glancing over the original four UIs, it feels that less is more though.

As for the process.
I can't draw. Painting is okay, but when it come to perspective and how to draw objects realistically I fall short to say the least.
But what I can do is create 3D objects and paint them :)
So.
I take the UI .blp files. Convert them to something Photoshop can read and then combining them into 1 image.
In the 3D program I make a flat plane and throw the image on it.
Then it's just creating models and check the top down view to see if everything fits.

And then I simply screen shot the models from above. Cut and crop them in Photoshop, and then import them to War3 :)
Tedious, but actually fun. I didn't know if it would work on beforehand with War3 being viewed in something like a combination of orthographic and perspective, and all such jazz.

I'm fairly certain (despite his claim to the contrary) that he was simply being facetious (i.e. sarcastic without the 'bite').

Yeah, perhaps.
But I need feedback I can use.

Lovin that "clean" look (not in terms of texture/mesh but rather in the way you created it, organised, thought through). Keep going!

Thanks. Glad you like it PROXY!
Yeah I couldn't mess up the layout too much. Too much hard surface mumbo jumbo for that :)

Here are the final shots. The UI has been uploaded.

This is the master image with base colors:
Base color.jpg

This is the master image with bloomy base colors. Used to get the effect from the lights I wanted:
Base color with bloom.jpg

And these are in game screen shots. One with, and one without, inventory:
View attachment 151177 View attachment 151178

The UI seems too confusing while in game.
I think it works alright when it's just the UI but when playing the actual game it confuses more than it adds.
I have removed a lot of the props to give it a cleaner look, while still trying to maintain the steampunk feel.

screenshot115.png

Someone also mentioned that the light might be distracting if playing a darker type of map.
You got any thought on that?

Level 17
I like the bloom, it is a nice idea.
Though does it actually work ? I honestly just thought the UI uses cutout alpha transparency not gradients.
Though yeah, there seems to be a lot going on.

I also like the style, reminds me a lot of old school PC games such as fallout.

I like the bloom, it is a nice idea.
Though does it actually work ? I honestly just thought the UI uses cutout alpha transparency not gradients.
Though yeah, there seems to be a lot going on.

I also like the style, reminds me a lot of old school PC games such as fallout.

Oh it is an alpha cutout. The bloom will only affect that which is not cutted out.
You can see the effect in the last two pictures in post #96.

Yeah you're right (as well as others who mentioned it), so I have lessened the detail amount a great deal.

Eagle XI has a point (which he wrote in the skin section) that this UI may be more rusty looking than actually steampunkish but I don't really know. I can't decide.

Lastly, thanks for the comment.

P.S.
I am actually dabling with an idea for an actual Fallout UI. I would love to create one for sure.

Status
Not open for further replies.