• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Smoopa's Art!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 8
Quick one to wake up ~10min wanted to try making a .gif too

vVytPKP.gif

6SBxVWM.jpg

Had this one laying around too

RN2fmuP.jpg

Last edited:
Level 8
ding dong, ok last sao one i promise

<<Updating old image!>>

Looking back at some of my old stuff that's laying around, proportions are important people! Although I never really followed the head rules or draw a stick figure (never do the stick figure, it's what satan wants you to do ,please just don't dot it!) I found that when I did practice proportions with stick figures I had no problem getting them down in whatever pose I wanted the problem came up on the next step, I had all these stick figures and 0 idea how to add shape to them. I find that laying down large and rough shapes really help, sure they might be off but I think it adds to the character. Having a perfectly proportioned character can get boring fast, and having to play with the characters shape I find really helps get an idea of what you want to create since most stick figures look the same. But depending on the style I want to have (for example the last two images I would lay down thinner strokes but still keep to the method of laying to more than you need, to create a style that fits that art type, there's a huge difference in the end product but the road there is very similar) I'll build around a line of action not even worrying about building any specific part of object all I want is to get a general block or silhouette for that character, then once that's done I can go in a sculpt away at the object adding and removing from the shape when I need to. I find that once I had a solid understanding of this method it really helped a lot where as before I was struggling to commit to any form of lines thinking if it would work with the anatomy or design of the object now I don't have to worry about that because the object is being created out of shape that acts as a base instead of relying on only lines to create shape.

7TNUNKY.jpg
I find that 90% of the time they look like complete trash until I spent a couple hours refining the shapes and cleaning object and then I really like the shapes that I end up with and it goes back to trash when I add colour then looks x2 better when shading is done.

Another big obstacle that I overcame that benefited a ton I think was that I stopped comparing my work to other peoples. I know until recently even I would look at something I made and go on the googler or DA and be like "oh man my work will never look like that :(" but we all have our different styles and skill levels and once I realized that and stop thinking about other peoples work it really helped a lot on the long run, it allowed me to experiment more with shapes and colour especially. Have to be confident in yourself!

Tons of practice helps a lot too, I know for me it's somtimes hard to get the motivation but the more I practice I can see my improvements and that motivates me to create ever more. Sometimes I'll do noting but draw, It's weird but I'll go on these sprees where I can't enjoy anything if I'm not drawing, I'll try to watch a TV show or play a video game but I'll stop immediately,, I'm not sure what comes over me lol but I find that I'm just wasting time if I try to do anything else that's not helping me improve. It really helps though because during these times I'll have nothing but creating on my mind and I'll learn so much because that's all I'm thinking about.I guess that's my superpower lol although it sucks at times because I can't enjoy things I normally do :(

What I'm trying to say lol

yQ7pyLt.jpg

PByPcUX.jpg

Last edited:
Level 8
(Still lots to do :I) Back home for christmas, forgot my memory stick in my dorm lol anyways decided to work on the last image I uploaded here had to redo it since I forgot it.. oh well I think it's coming out nice so far, still have to clean up some lines around the neck and hand and add some more detail to the clothing.

ItWDTzs.jpg

Level 8
For some reason I could never do video game fan stuff but I somehow managed to get myself to do it lol. Started cleaning it up a little, got started on the hands but I think I'm about to pass out and I have class in 3 hours so hopefully I'll get around to this one in the future. Z_Z

attachment.php

Attachments

• fiosmall.jpg
    fiosmall.jpg
    58.4 KB · Views: 278
Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.