• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Moose Avatar

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 37
I have this secret (well not anymore) obsession with Moose. Almost every photo I take has me wearing my special moose hat :3 So, I decided to make myself an avatar! I've been reading a bunch of useful tutorials in the hive concerning 2D art, and this is what I've came up with after 2 days. Keep note that this is literally my first time getting my hands dirty in art, but don't let that hold back your criticism! I would like to know what I can do to improve this.

iUg5L8W.png
uvi4fDo.png

EDIT: This was my thought process if anyone is interested! I'm not putting the actual photos one by one because their resolutions are enormous.

6f31j8.png

EDIT2: Reference Image can be found here :D thanks to them !
Kcdf44Y.png

EDIT3: Final Version

EDIT4: Super Official Final Version

Here is the thought process I went into for the final version :) I'm not sure why only FinalEdits is the only one with a black background...? Every single photo has an alpha background.

JzSUF6I.png

Last edited:
Level 22
The only problem I have with it is that it doesn't really look like a moose.

o: thank you for the rep by the way!
No need to worry about that, pareidolia will take care of the rest. In other words, it looks like a moose.

Thank you too, for sharing some of your art.

Last edited:
Level 37
That concept looks gorgeous. I agree with your choice on #2. I love the beard on #1, but #2 looks far more moose-like.

Great job!

P.S. The lines seem to be a bit jagged in #2. If that was intentional (to make a furry texture), I suggest making it more prominent. Otherwise it looks like it has a lower quality.

Thank you! I think the jagged lines are from compressions :p they look fine in my desktop. Is there anything else you think I can add?

Level 37
The colors are a little irritating. The 3LogoConcept3Color looks a lot more pleasant to the eye imo.

I'm actually considering redrawing it the whole thing. Going to try to make it 3D and maybe just use shading to color the whole thing :) Currently reading tutorials so it will be updated after I finish reading them !

EDIT: Hey guys! Finished up the new concept. What do you guys think of this?

Kcdf44Y.png

Last edited:

Ardenian

A

Ardenian

Why is it mostly a grumpy moose :(

But, they look all great! How do you create them ?

I personally like 2LogoConcept2 most, but the newest one is quite impressive, too, maybe a bit more 3D illusion and it will look perfect :)

Level 37
Why is it mostly a grumpy moose :(

Because I like grumpy moose! I originally drew it with no eye, but it looked scary as fuck ._.
m7FGImb.png

Then I tried adding a less-scary looking eye, but it came out too girl-ish for me.
AE6MvN5.png

But, they look all great! How do you create them ?

Currently using Photoshop until I can get the installer for illustrator to work :( I'm also using my friends Wacom Intuous drawing tablet. I just started drawing not so long ago, so I didn't want to blow any money on something I might not be good at lmfao.

I personally like 2LogoConcept2 most, but the newest one is quite impressive, too, maybe a bit more 3D illusion and it will look perfect :)

I liked all the concepts :( but unfortunately it was really hard to get them to look 3D with their previous layout.

Ardenian

A

Ardenian

Currently using Photoshop until I can get the installer for illustrator to work :( I'm also using my friends Wacom Intuous drawing tablet. I just started drawing not so long ago, so I didn't want to blow any money on something I might not be good at lmfao.
Now I am pretty jealous..
I mean, what do you do exactly to create these shapes ?

I liked all the concepts :( but unfortunately it was really hard to get them to look 3D with their previous layout.
The newest one is obviously aimed for creating a 3D look :)

Level 37
Now I am pretty jealous..
I mean, what do you do exactly to create these shapes ?

I just drew them! xP I've amateurly drawn moose a lot in pencil, so I know their facial structures pretty well. I also used two or three reference images :)

Anyway, I'm pretty happy with what I have now! I'm just conflicted between keeping the chin hair or not. I also don't know if I should add a background or not :( I just made it alpha for now.
QomeIf8.png
85Z6x2b.png

Nice concept u got here, KILLCIDE!
Closer to my taste are 2LogoConcept1, 2LogoConcept3 and, of course, the new one:
AE6MvN5.png
About the new one, i think the horns could be larger, and the hat could be positioned better(slightly to the right). But this is just me. :)

Level 37
Now see that classy moose :D

Thanks :3 anything you think I can do for the background besides alpha?

Nice concept u got here, KILLCIDE!
Closer to my taste are 2LogoConcept1, 2LogoConcept3 and, of course, the new one.
About the new one, i think the horns could be larger, and the hat could be positioned better(slightly to the right). But this is just me. :)

Thanks Sin'dorei! I really liked the original design I had, but I just couldn't make it 3D :( I would have had to change the whole layout like I did for the recent concept. Thanks for the suggestions, but do you think there is anything I can do for a background besides alpha?

Ardenian

A

Ardenian

Have you tried to inverse black and white ? I would be interested how it looks like.

About the background, well, I don't know, to be honest, I think it is difficult to find a good background for this kind of avatars. Maybe you could try to add a wooden background, like a medal or an emblem, but it could also look like a beer trade mark then..

Level 37
Have you tried to inverse black and white ? I would be interested how it looks like.

Yes it look's really weird :( the black shading makes the moose look more mysterious!

So I decided to go with the hairless chin, and I also made the outline of the chin offset so it doesn't connect with the chain of the monocle. I think this is my final version :3

Deleted member 238226

D

Deleted member 238226

looks cool.

i love it :)

this is cool, i love it :) +Rep

Just curious, why Moose? Is your name Rasmus?

i think the correct question is, why not moose? :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Level 37
MoOOOOOoOOOOOOOOOOoOOOOOOOOOOOOOOoOOOOOOOOOoOOOOSEEEEEEEE!

Rasmus should see this. He would be proud.
Mysterious moose sounds cool though...

Thank you :) I wish he saw this haha, but I don't think he lurks around the Concept Art / Fan Art forum. Loved your icons from the icon contest #13 by the way!

On a side note, I will be fixing a few things on this moose. Going to fix the hat like what Sindorei said and maybe 1 or 2 other changes I have in mind :)

Ardenian

A

Ardenian

Great job! What a classy moose ( I think I already said that, meh)

Ardenian

A

Ardenian

Any ideas for your next work here ? Or will this thread decay now ? :/

Ardenian

A

Ardenian

^Oh yeah, let's create a bunch of mooses, for every days purpose, KILLCIDE ;D

Level 37
No, those are WIPs. Meaning, 15 imperfect moose, 1 perfect.
What I want is moooooooooooooooseeeeeeeeeeeeeeee :cgrin: More and more. Some full body, some only the face, some other poses, etc. But I said it kinda like a joke so.. I don't really mean it. Would be cool though.

^Oh yeah, let's create a bunch of mooses, for every days purpose, KILLCIDE ;D

I will consider this once I get my own drawing tablet! It's pretty inconvenient to always have to ask my friend for his.

Ardenian

A

Ardenian

They are actually not that expensive ( depending where you are from). You have to work around 6 hours here for one, if you have a rather low-qualified job ( = A job you don't need much knowledge et cetera for, it is not meant offensive)

Ardenian

A

Ardenian

Eh, even if you have to work a week, I'd spend 1 week for a necessary tool. I'm just glad I'm not a traditional artist who constantly has to pay for both cheap and expensive materials. But like, every week. That would be so much more costly in the long run..

Well, if you have a work in a graphical section, then usually your employee pays the tool and hardware.

Though, a good hardware easily costs a lot, meaning you have to pay a ton of money.

Level 37
They are actually not that expensive ( depending where you are from). You have to work around 6 hours here for one, if you have a rather low-qualified job ( = A job you don't need much knowledge et cetera for, it is not meant offensive)

I didn't want to get one yet because I didn't know if I'd like it or not, or if I'd be even good at drawing xD

On a side note, to keep the thread from dying so soon... here are 2 sketches I drew when I FIRST started this "project" :) the colored one you see was what I originally wanted... but after some working on it, it didn't really look like a moose :( also, I apologize for the bad quality ._. I don't have the actual files anymore other than when I posted it on facebook.

Level 37
Hm, it could easily be a dragon ^^ I just forgot everything here is about mooses, sooorrryy

No other animals shall be allowed in my moose thread!

Oh, more moose/meese?! How did I not see those. Love the final version. It's a bad ass brown moose. I wonder, do you only draw Canadian mooses though? I do prefer them, but it would be nice to see some black/grey ones throwed in there :cgrin:

Plural for moose is just moose x) I know how to draw gates? xD

Status
Not open for further replies.