• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

where can i find drivers for a gainward geforce 7800 gs

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 21
i recently reinstalled windows because of a conflict between windows and the graphics card.(super low resolution.) the resolution is solved but i am unable to find any drivers that works. i tried several packs from the nvidia websites and none of them worked. i am unable to install any working 32 bit browsers as their installers are all 64 bit these days(except comodo dragon but that is unable to install as i do not have it installed) and as such i can not use the website to scan my system. i tried nvidia geforce experience but its installer is also 64 bit. anybody here that can help?

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 63
Here you go.
Windows 7 x86
Windows XP x86
Both are the latest official NVidia drivers for the GeForce 7 card series. The downloads above are for the international installer from the NVidia website UK mirror so might download slowly in other countries but will support all languages. They support all GeForce 7 series cards including any branded such as 7800 GS that is not OEM.

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 63
If you tried the drivers I linked (they are not the latest, they were the last since 7800 GS support has been discontinued) then you will need to get a new graphic card since the one you have must be malfunctioning (broken, burnt out, not working).

If your operating system is not either Windows XP or Windows 7 then you will need to specify that. No one can help you with drivers unless you bother to mention what operating system you are using.

Level 21
i tried to download the pack you linked and that is one of the versions i have tried. i am running windows xp with service pack 1. the pc have 3 gigabytes of memory running in dual channel mode.(ddr1). i got problems after switching the memory chips around from single channel mode to dual channel mode so the conflict could have something to do with that.

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 63
i am running windows xp with service pack 1
Update to XP service pack 3 (safe Microsoft link) and try again. Nothing in the last 10 years has supported XP with anything other than service pack 3. It amazes me that you can do anything using service pack 1.

i got problems after switching the memory chips around from single channel mode to dual channel mode so the conflict could have something to do with that.
Check the graphic buffer memory in the BIOS. It should be around 64 to 128 Megabytes at most (anything more usually causes poor performance). Only do this after updating to service pack 3 and then trying to install the driver as changing anything in the BIOS can cause other problems if you are inexperienced. To access your BIOS read your motherboard user manual, which if you do not own physically can usually be downloaded for free from the motherboard manufacturer.

If that still does not help then maybe you should post a quote/screenshot of the installation error you are getting when trying to install the driver.

Level 21
i recently reinstalled windows and as such i have not installed any updates. it was badly damaged as the network settings was crippled and resolution was super low. the graphics card is AGP and not PCI express. i already know how to access the bios though the key to access it is usually on the startup screen.

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 63
i recently reinstalled windows and as such i have not installed any updates.
Update to XP service pack 3 (safe Microsoft link) and try again. Nothing in the last 10 years has supported XP with anything other than service pack 3. It amazes me that you can do anything using service pack 1.

Resolution can be fixed by installing a graphic driver and then setting the desktop resolution to your display's native resolution.

Level 21
the resolution was too low for me to even see the resolution controls so i would have had to configure it blind. login was also messed up so that i had to use control alt delete to get to the login screen. i had a lot of trouble with finding service pack 3 last time so, a direct link would really help.

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 63
i had a lot of trouble with finding service pack 3 last time so, a direct link would really help.
Update to XP service pack 3 (safe Microsoft link). The download page is here.

You will need to update to service pack 2 before then and as the page says Service pack 2 can be downloaded here.

That is if windows update does not allow you to which the pages recommend you try first. If it does not then use the links provided above. Remember to download them in a suitable language (same language as your OS install is).

Level 21
you were incorrect about needing to update to service pack 2. i updated directly to service pack 3 and installed the graphics drivers and now the graphics card works. what this means is that there was a conflict in the last installation of windows that prevented the graphics card from working properly. thank you for informing me that i needed service pack 3 in order to install updated drivers as i would never have figured that out myself. once i rebooted it stopped working again.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.