• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Warcraft 3 packard bell trouble! :/ help me

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 5
Warcraft 3 breaks direct x on packard bell [starting to lose hope]

I got warcraft 3 and TFT on my spare PC(packard bell) because my main PC is in tech repair. Anyway, when I try to lauch tft or roc I get the picture of Arthas (or the orc), then I hear a windows error sounds and the picture just stays there. When I switch off war3.exe with task manager it says I haven't inserted the CD(v1.26a :/). Also the first time I launched it, it said that it wasn't able to init direct X bla bla bla. After that the thing just freezes and I have to take it down with TM(Task manager).
Specs (of my PB)
CPU : Intel Atom n450
GPU : Intel GMA 3150
RAM : 1 GB
Direct X 9.0
checked in dxdiag
HLP ME PLZZ:vw_wtf::vw_sad::vw_death:

EDIT:
It turn out when I first launched wc3 it broke my direct x and other games, which were working fine, are now telling me that I don't have Direct x

Last edited:
Level 4
You need to update, blizzard released a disk free update on their website.

If none of that works, you should try mounting a virtual image and running it again from the image.

If that doesnt work. reinstall.

keep us updated

Level 5
You need to update, blizzard released a disk free update on their website.

If none of that works, you should try mounting a virtual image and running it again from the image.

If that doesnt work. reinstall.

keep us updated
Well the disk free update is 1.26a(as mentioned before) and I have it.
Tried reinstalling numerous times to no avail.
Will try disk but what's with the could not init dirext x?

Just tryed mounting a virt image and it does the same thing
HELP ME I LOVE DIS GAMe Dxx

Last edited by a moderator:
Level 4
Change your Warcraft 3 compatibility to an earlier version of windows, then run as administrator.

If that doesnt work, try reinstalling DirectX

Level 5
Change your Warcraft 3 compatibility to an earlier version of windows, then run as administrator

If that doesnt work, try reinstalling DirectX
I think this problem doesn't onlu apply to wc3. I just tried other games and it seems they are asking for direct x even though I have it. It looks like the games just ignore direct x. Please help I checked the dxdiag and did everything is says and there are no problems. I tried going to the registry and setting dx version to 8 and then reinstalling 9 but that didn't work. I tried reinstalling gma 3150 driver and installing a newer but that didn't work either. Please help me I really want to play something:vw_death::vw_sad:

Level 5
You are running Windows 7 right?

In any case Intel GPUs are well known to have major compatibility problems to the point that many emulator developers have added special exceptions for intel GPUs when building shaders.
Actually, no. I'm running windows xp. Why do you ask?
So is there a fix for such compatibility issues? I was able to run and play gothic 1(just in case it will help you)

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 63
Actually, no. I'm running windows xp. Why do you ask?
The GPU and CPU were aimed at Windows 7 from the brief reading I did on the subject. As such this could be a XP compatibility issue although that is unlikely. If it was Windows 7 there would be a few things you could do to boost compatibility however they are not necessary for XP.

So is there a fix for such compatibility issues? I was able to run and play gothic 1(just in case it will help you)
Different and older game so means nothing. It could be as stupid as one sequence of operations used by the Warcraft III shaders is not supported and causes the shader to enter an invalid state.

Do make sure your XP installation has all updates (such as SP3) although it is unlikely it will not after this much time.

Level 5
The GPU and CPU were aimed at Windows 7 from the brief reading I did on the subject. As such this could be a XP compatibility issue although that is unlikely. If it was Windows 7 there would be a few things you could do to boost compatibility however they are not necessary for XP.

Different and older game so means nothing. It could be as stupid as one sequence of operations used by the Warcraft III shaders is not supported and causes the shader to enter an invalid state.

Do make sure your XP installation has all updates (such as SP3) although it is unlikely it will not after this much time.
Did a fresh winXP install. Found out the following:
every game works perfectly! BUT when I first launched wc3 it played the movie and after that gave me a black screen. SO I took it down with the task manager and relaunched. It gave a missing cd error and a direct x issue error. I tried launching another game. All the games that worked perfectly are now telling me that I dont have directX??! WHAT IS THIS TRICKERY!!?? WC F***ED UP MY DIRECTX!!!??

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 63
You tried restarting the computer after that? They might show that error if they fail to create DirectX context as a result of resource contention (some process owns the context and no more than 1 can exist).

You get such an error if you open World Edit while WC3 is running full screen. If you minimize WC3 and allow World Edit to load to the terrain view both can exist happily however if WC3 is full screen while terrain view initializes it will error World Edit. Some other games will say you might not have the required DirectX but that depends on how they decided to handle the error.

Level 5
You tried restarting the computer after that? They might show that error if they fail to create DirectX context as a result of resource contention (some process owns the context and no more than 1 can exist).

You get such an error if you open World Edit while WC3 is running full screen. If you minimize WC3 and allow World Edit to load to the terrain view both can exist happily however if WC3 is full screen while terrain view initializes it will error World Edit. Some other games will say you might not have the required DirectX but that depends on how they decided to handle the error.
Excuse me, but what does this mean in concrete terms?
Btw I didn't restart my pc. I just did another fresh install. I am afraid of trying it now because if restarting won't help then I'll have to reinstall windows again. Is there any way to fix this? Also before reinstalling winxp I did restart and that didn't help but I don't recall having a black screen situation like this time

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 63
If restarting does not help then reinstall the graphics driver. If reinstalling the graphics driver does not help then you repair DirectX by using the full installer for the latest version of 9.0.

Warcraft III should not cause you to need to do any of the above. Are you installing from the BattleNet 2.0 download or a legitimate printed CD?

Level 5
If restarting does not help then reinstall the graphics driver. If reinstalling the graphics driver does not help then you repair DirectX by using the full installer for the latest version of 9.0.

Warcraft III should not cause you to need to do any of the above. Are you installing from the BattleNet 2.0 download or a legitimate printed CD?
I did reinstall the graphics driver. If by using the full installer for direct x you mean downloading direct x and installing then I did that too.

I can't install wc3 from a disk(packard bell has no cd rom) so I copied the contents of my legit disk(quite old now v1.03 though I did apply official patches to v1.26) and put them on a flash drive and then I transferred them to my packard bell.

Level 5
So restarting did not fix the problem with other processes? Use this to update DirectX. Try with the latest driver from the chipset manufacturer instead of from "packard bell" (or try the opposite if you are doing that already).
restarting didn't help with anything.

Edit: The downlink you're giving is where I downloaded direct x

I download my intel gma driver from the intel website because there aren't any for my packard bell model on the packard bell download center.

As I said before when I launch wc3 it breaks my direct x. Right now I have fresh copy of winxp so everything works.
Edit: So basically if I launch wc3 means I'll have to reinstall windows for everything to work again

Last edited:

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 63
As I said before when I launch wc3 it br3aks my direct x. Right now I have fresh copy of winxp so everything works(but if I launch wc3 it'll br3ak everything)
Edit: So basically if I launch wc3 means I'll have to reinstall windows for everything to work again
That would point towards WC3 being infected with malware. WC3 should not alter anything driver/kernel level. At most WC3 would modify the registry however only WC3 related entries.

Level 5
That would point towards WC3 being infected with malware. WC3 should not alter anything driver/kernel level. At most WC3 would modify the registry however only WC3 related entries.
It cannot be. I have it from my legitimate cd. Moreover, I tried downloading a version off the internet to the same results. I even asked my friend's cd and that didn't work either.:vw_wtf:
EDIT: every of the listed above methods still cause loss of direct x(even though dxdiag still tells me there are no problems)

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 63
Some modern drivers use shader caches to speed up load times (since compiling shaders is very resource intensive). It is possible that the driver cache becomes damaged by the Warcraft III shaders (possibly due to them being D3D8?). Check if you can turn such an option off at a driver level.

Level 5
Some modern drivers use shader caches to speed up load times (since compiling shaders is very resource intensive). It is possible that the driver cache becomes damaged by the Warcraft III shaders (possibly due to them being D3D8?). Check if you can turn such an option off at a driver level.
Sounds good. Where and how do I turn it off considering I have an intel gma 3150?
EDIT: I looked around the intel driver panel and found nothing even close to a shader cache

Status
Not open for further replies.