• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Some Browser AddOns you shouldn't be missing

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 28
Hello people,

let me advise you three browser plugins that you may take advantages of.

logo.png

Firstly, you may know that AdBlock Plus isn't the PopUp Blocker you want anymore since the devs added a whitelisting feature which means that you'll get to see ads, even with the Plugin being active.
The solution: uBlock.
uBlock lets you browse the web as clean as you want it.
It also has the eyedropper feature, meaning you can pick elements on a website, add a filter to it (wildcard * supported) and clean the website to your preference.
Just like ABP and ABE (Edge fork, deprecated), uBlock lets you exclude websites (such as THW *hint*) from filtering as well.
It's available for Chrome, Firefox and Safari.
==============================================================

pkehgijcmpdhfbdbbnkijodmdjhbjlgp-icon.png

Secondly, if you're concerned about your privacy and browsing-related ads (like google does), take a look at Privacy Badger.
From the website:
Privacy Badger is a browser add-on that stops advertisers and other third-party trackers from secretly tracking where you go and what pages you look at on the web. If an advertiser seems to be tracking you across multiple websites without your permission, Privacy Badger automatically blocks that advertiser from loading any more content in your browser. To the advertiser, it's like you suddenly disappeared.
Nifty, right? It has sliers for each domain you're connected to and lets you choose how much it can track you (or not).
You can choose to let the website fully track your actions, block cookies or the whole page, giving you more control a to what website is allowed to send localized ads and so on.
Highly recommended and available for Chrome and Firefox.

2.5 If you want, you can install uBlock Origin instead of ublock - your choice.
==============================================================

logod.png

Number three is a real helper in the case of watching blocked videos on youtube: ProxTube.
Proxtube triggers if a country-blocked (mostly due to licensing rights) video is started, pipes the connection through a proxy and gives you a foreign IP just for that video, meaning you can watch it nonetheless.
There is a small downside to that addon as I've discovered: Sometimes, the chosen servers are really slow resulting in video lags - a reload often helps.
It also likes to bug my display by putting thousands of 'Donate please' banners underneath the video instead of just the one it's supposed to be displaying.
ProxTube also goes into an infinite loop of redirecting when trying to watch a constent-restricted (login needed) video.
If you can deal with that, try it.

Have a nice day~

Last edited:
Level 15
uBlock is depreciated, uBlock Origin is the current branch

Privacy Badger is worse than Disconnect

ProxTube is supplanted by ProxFlow

Needs a script blocker, best ones are uMatrix or NoScript

Edit: Should also mention BetterPrivacy, which fills a special niche with flash.

Level 15
I think u guys should not talk about it,and that this threader should be not even maked.
Some people cannot have a life without ads,and they work hard to share them.
>hear about a restaurant offering free food
>order a steak
>waiter says there will be no charge and I eat free, as advertised
>waiter comes back with a three meter wide plate
>the plate is covered in a myriad of different things ranging from rusty blades and literal garbage to postcards offering dining-related information
>I ask the waiter what gives
>he tells me that outside sources pay my bill and in return I must sift through this pile of stuff to find and eat my steak
>tell the manager that if I have to do this every time, I'm never coming back
>manager laughs and tells me he doesn't need my business

>a fellow diner sitting beside me is served the same steak without the pile on a much smaller and easily manageable plate
>he tells me that as long as he wears a red lapel pin, he gets what was advertised with no games
>come back the next day with a red lapel pin and get my steak with no fuss
>visit restaurant for most of my dining needs

>a few days later, the restaurant begins to complain that customers with the pin are getting what they were offered
>laugh and continue to eat my free steak

Level 15
I think u guys should not talk about it,and that this threader should be not even maked.
Some people cannot have a life without ads,and they work hard to share them.

There's no need to turn this into a debate regarding the supposed merits/morality of using or not using adblockers and other such software. Take it elsewhere, there are plenty of other places on the internet for you to debate about it.

Level 22
I have a few other suggestions:

1. Blur (DoNotTrackMe) -- Much like Privacy Badger, it stops trackers from tracking you. Additionally, it allows you to mask your email. The link I given is Chrome Store one, you may do a search for other browsers.
  2. Magic Actions for YouTube -- Enhances the Youtube website.
    • Allows you to toggle day/night (useful when you're watching stuffs in a dark room, or just to soothe your eyes)
    • Auto HD (no need to manually adjust quality every time)
    • It also allows auto replay
    • Allows to block annoying ads
    • and tons of other features too.

Level 19
I use opera, it allows you to block aspects of a page just like you mentioned privacy badger does.

it also allows you to surf all the sites you already visited today, but without charging you to reload the page. meaning surfing the net without being connected to it.

Level 15
it also allows you to surf all the sites you already visited today, but without charging you to reload the page. meaning surfing the net without being connected to it.
Every other major browser allows it, including IE. Opera just has it enabled by default. For example: chrome://flags/#show-saved-copy

He's merely making recommendations and explaining what he likes about each one. Don't make a mountain out of a mole hill, it's not a big deal.
He took the criticism in the second post to be "hostile" in Chat. Whether out of absurd brand loyalty or whether he's being paid for it, I don't care to guess.

Status
Not open for further replies.