• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Samsung and the World's Largest Drive

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 11
Today, (or yesterday for some) Samsung announced a new Solid State Drive that basically obliterates their competition in any type of storage media.

While Western Digital, Intel, Kingston etc, are currently trying to match Samsung's recently released 2TB consumer Solid State drives (also having a 4TB SSD on the way), they completely pulled the roadmap out from their competitors by not only announcing a 4TB nor a 6TB, not even an 8TB Solid State drive... but instead skipping up to a 16TB SSD. That is nearly DOUBLE the size of the current record holder (which uses the newer helium filled shingle technology) 10TB hard drives.

While they haven't stated a price, they have already showed off a server that 48 of these new drives (Totaling a massive 768 Terabytes) which can perform tasks at 2,000,000 IOPS (input outputs per second) compared to the 10,000-90,000 IOPS of a standard consumer SSD.

What's even crazier is, by using their 3dNAND technology, they have also managed to fit this in a standard 2.5" drive (laptop size).

Granted, these are enterprise drives, but coming from someone who grew up as this kind of stuff has progressed, it's incredible knowing where these things started and how fast it has improved.
What you guys think?

Level 34
Congratulations. You can install windows and 5 new games.
Thanks! As someone pointed out in another thread, SSD doesn't help much with gaming, so there's no point in storing your games on them. I use my HDD for games and my SSD for everything else. Over 300GB is plenty for me to install Windows and the programs I want.

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 64
SSD doesn't help much with gaming, so there's no point in storing your games on them
It helps loading games. It does not help once the game is loaded (or files are cached in memory). A game on a SATA connected SSD can read its data so fast that it is mostly processing that you wait for during load times. With a mechanical drive it could spend a long time seeking the data, especially if sparsely packed.

The actual difference depends on the game. Some open world games like TES Oblivion would stutter for less time when new chunks are loaded. Games like SC2 may suffer shorter resource stalls during play. Others like Diablo III will have shorter loading times when entering new zones (that you have not entered recently or since start-up). However some like WC3, after caching all MPQs in memory, will not be improved by SSD.

Level 34
The actual difference depends on the game. Some open world games like TES Oblivion would stutter for less time when new chunks are loaded. Games like SC2 may suffer shorter resource stalls during play. Others like Diablo III will have shorter loading times when entering new zones (that you have not entered recently or since start-up). However some like WC3, after caching all MPQs in memory, will not be improved by SSD.
I don't know the technical side of it, but my experience has shown me that the difference in so marginal most of the time. I put Dragon Age: Inquisition on my SSD and I think it made a difference, but even a game like that (really long loads) it wasn't that big of a difference.

Status
Not open for further replies.