• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

is it possible to replace dual core with quad core

Status
Not open for further replies.
How will we know it when we don't even know what your motherboard is??? 0.0

Sometimes you should really do some thinking first before you ask...

And you can always bring the unit into the shops since they will probably be the ones who know which processors can be used... though as I said, you'd probably only find a bit of older gen processors if you're looking for the i series

Last edited:
Level 15

This.

Otherwise, post the full specifications of your PC and only then we can help you.

But yeah if you dont know how tocheck those, you can apply a bit of force to push the i7 into place, you can use a rubber hammer to hit it a couple of times if it wont fit. If that fails, bend a coule of pins that wont fit into the holes.

Last edited:
Level 7
You should give us the model of your motherboard in order to tell you what quad core is compatible with your motherboard

Level 25
url

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 63
You can replace the processor for any other processor as long as it is pin (socket) compatible. To find out if something is pin(socket) compatible read the documentation relating to it (do not ask here as that is all we will do). You may need to replace the heat sink attached to the processor as well since it may not be capable of the required power dissipation of a processor upgrade. Remember you will need special gel to smear on the processor to create a good heat-conductive connection between the processor casing and the heat sink. Also be aware that quad cores will consume more power than dual cores so check the PSU can cope with the extra load. If the socket is old you may be limited to only old quad core processors which will not perform as well as modern ones (especially with regard to energy efficiency).

If the processor is very old you may want a new motherboard (new socket) and get a modern processor. The GPU can easily be ported to the new mother board as long as it is PCI-E (which it should be if it is anything recent). The PSU can also be re-used as long as the rating is sufficient for the new processor (chances are it will be since very modern processors are a lot more energy efficient than old ones).

Level 21
since the system binds to the main board, replacing that would require a new system license. i discussed changing of processor when i purchased the pc and i was told that it is possible to upgrade to a quad core. according to the dating of the original windows folder the pc seems to be from 2006 but i puchased it long after that.(2009 maybe)

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 63
there is an option in windows to change product key so reinstalling isnt a requirement.
From a brief Google people said that it has nothing to do with the key being bound to a motherboard, just that the OS is. If you reinstall the OS you can change the mother board.

Most hardware changes with OEM require a re-activation. This is just a repeat of the activation you did when you first started the computer.

Level 15
A Wikipedia search references these sockets with the Core 2 Duo.

If it is LGA775 then best he can get is some Core 2 Quad I think.

That is also deppendant on the motherboard, some LGA775 mobos didnt support every quad core. Only later with Nehalem series intel made the sockets in that way so they support everything from i3s to i7s.

Level 6
what is this problem anyway? to many issues use all search engine or go out side and bring a money and go to a computer shop? and search all your issues or if you have a phone like am iPhone iPad iPod or any device that has wifi then how about use safari/Etc. there?

don't make this problem long or it will be drag to mister worst

Status
Not open for further replies.