• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

How to bypass / solve a captcha?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 15
Hi,

So I was trying to automatically fill out a website's form via Python mechanize.

The form itself only has three controls that the user sees. But if you use mechanize, it actually has a hidden control which is a captcha. The thing is, when I complete the form, I never have to pass a captcha.

But somehow the website knows that mechanize is not a human being? And thus only throws the captcha up in response to that? How can I say "No, Mechanize is a human being?"

Anyways what kind of captcha is this?

Code:
<HiddenControl(recaptcha_response_field=manual_challenge)>

Tried looking up what a manual challenge is, no idea.

I guess if I'm desperate I can use something like java.robots to submit the form?

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 63
You should not be filling in account forms with a machine process. This is the foundation of robots, which annoy hundred of millions of people per year with their crappy stupid posts.

Anyway what is happening is when you fill in the form with a browser it sends certain browser information. This may be anything from cookies to what engine the browser uses (Firefox, Chrome, Safari, IE, and their version). When you communicate via a robot obviously this information is missing and as such it knows chances are it is a robot trying to communicate. Especially if the cookie is missing it may know you skipped going via the website navigation system (home page to wherever) and instead directly went to the login form so it then knows to ask you for a captcha (since humans very seldom do this and those that do can just fill in the captcha, a trivial task).

Chances are the trigger for it is how long you spent connected to the site (cookie) or how fast / many times the form was filled in.

Status
Not open for further replies.