• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Hardware/Software survey

Tick whichever you own/use for your main PC!

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Deleted member 212788

D

Deleted member 212788

Proud owner of the only AMD card in that survey. Long live Ruby ^_^

Deleted member 212788

D

Deleted member 212788

Only 15 entries? come on people :)

Level 34
Where's the AMD support!? Come on guys.

I would have been curious to know how many water cooled PCs are out there too.

Deleted member 212788

D

Deleted member 212788

you have to add an option for iGPU btw - intel and AMD APUs

Level 34
I couldn't remember the exact model without finding the box, but I am pretty sure it's the 280. Was an awesome bang for buck card when I got it.

Deleted member 212788

D

Deleted member 212788

I couldn't remember the exact model without finding the box, but I am pretty sure it's the 280. Was an awesome bang for buck card when I got it.

I remember you saying it was a 280 in another thread

What OEM, if I may ask? :)

Deleted member 212788

D

Deleted member 212788

XFX. What about you?

Asus here. So far I'm very pleased with it but firefox has been trying to scare the shit out of me by bugging out - the other day I got a page that spazzed out in an artifact-like fashion for 3 secs then nothing, back to normal

Level 15
Asus here. So far I'm very pleased with it but firefox has been trying to scare the shit out of me by bugging out - the other day I got a page that spazzed out in an artifact-like fashion for 3 secs then nothing, back to normal

Caused quite a few bizarre glitches for me as well. Now I'm actually considering to go back to Chrome.

Deleted member 212788

D

Deleted member 212788

Caused quite a few bizarre glitches for me as well. Now I'm actually considering to go back to Chrome.

I just found out my card is dying ._.

Started artifacting in Chivalry and Crisis 2 - sadly it's not bad enough to warrant RMA - my best guess is busted VRM or VRAM failure

Ralle

Owner
Level 77
Home

Desktop
* GTX 970
* 500 GB SSD
* Intel i5 3.3Ghz
* 8 GB RAM

Laptop (Old MacBook Air)
* Intel 3000 HD Graphics
* Intel i5 1.X Ghz
* 128 GB SSD
* 4 GB RAM

Work

Desktop
* GTX 970
* 500 GB SSD
* Intel i7 4Ghz
* 32 GB RAM

Laptop
* AMD something
* Intel i5 something
* 250 GB SSD
* 16 GB RAM

I can recommend SSDs for any computer no matter the age if it feels slow at booting, opening and closing programs and so on. SSDs don't do much in the regard of gaming performance where it is usually the GPU that slows it down.

Ash

Ash

Level 22
I'd be very interested in helping OP make a more concise questionnaire, please feel free to get in touch Vengeancekael.

I can recommend SSDs for any computer no matter the age if it feels slow at booting, opening and closing programs and so on. SSDs don't do much in the regard of gaming performance where it is usually the GPU that slows it down.

Totally agree. SSDs are soon to be the standard in computing, imo, and not the exception. Samsung's really pushing some boundaries, and in both my devices I use their Pro series devices.

Deleted member 212788

D

Deleted member 212788

I'd be very interested in helping OP make a more concise questionnaire, please feel free to get in touch Vengeancekael.

Totally agree. SSDs are soon to be the standard in computing, imo, and not the exception. Samsung's really pushing some boundaries, and in both my devices I use their Pro series devices.

SSDs are nice but I honestly don't feel the need for one - don't really have complaints with my WD Red drive - lower RPM but so far it's been outperforming my expectations.

Level 29
Every single time someone comes to me with "help, my computer is slow, use magic-fu to make it faster", it turns out to be the hard drive.

It's amusing to show people the usage of their CPU/RAM/HDD in task manager when they do all sorts of operations on the computer. Easiest way to show that, no, they don't need a new expensive i7, or 16GB of RAM, they just need a SSD.

You know, that whole "it's only as fast as the slowest component", which is of course not true, but illustrates the situation well.

Ash

Ash

Level 22
I'm even talking from a practical standpoint. Soon SSDs will be relatively the same price as HDDs for exactly the same price. We moved away from the RAMAC 305 due to better, cheaper alternatives, and now we are going to do the same thing with HDDs proper.

Deleted member 212788

D

Deleted member 212788

Have you tired using an SSD? Oh gawd I love it.

Haven't had the chances yet but I'm not really itching to buy one - Don't yet have speed complaints with my drive and until it starts feeling slow to actually boot (currently takes 14 seconds) then I will consider one.

Level 29
Haven't had the chances yet but I'm not really itching to buy one - Don't yet have speed complaints with my drive and until it starts feeling slow to actually boot (currently takes 14 seconds) then I will consider one.

If you think it stops with booting, you are greatly mistaken.
Opening programs, opening files, saving files, and any related operation.
These tend to be the slowest things on a common computer with no SSD.
You don't have complaints only because you haven't experienced it. Once you do, you can't ever go back.

Deleted member 212788

D

Deleted member 212788

As well, having USB 3 and an SSD, the transfer rate is insane. I love it.

USB 3.0 I have and I have not noticed the slightest of difference between using that and 2.0

Level 34
With my SSD and my USB 3 I think I hit 100mb/s. I posted my results around here somewhere...

Anyways. I did a bunch of tests with my hardware. Going from my HDD to my usb 3 was marginally better than USB 2, but using SSD was significantly better with USB 2 and way way better with USB 3.

Deleted member 212788

D

Deleted member 212788

You guys are doing don_svetlio a disservice. If you convince him to try out a SSD, it will cost him money. Right now he is happy :).

Eh - I'd be happier if I could replace my GPU - currently it's acting a bit weird.

Status
Not open for further replies.